No Serial Port

: B) My laptop doesn't have a serial port which I need to upload to my GPS (a Magellan if it matters). I bought a serial to USB conversion cable - hoping this to be a simple solution to a simple problem. No so easy - my laptop (with WinXP if it matters) doesn't seem to know what to with it. Any help out there??

I don't know anything about the cable, but I use a cheapo Belkin USB-Serial converter box that does the trick with my Garmin 3+ and my laptop.

The first piece of advise I can give you is this: If you have a pda, disable your hotsync connection. Click on the little hotsyn icon in your toolbar and uncheck the settings. When you need to hotsync just check them again.

The other problem I have deals with whether the GPSr was hookled up and on when I booted my laptop. I never remember if it needs to be on or off when I boot, but if my laptop can't find my GPSr, I try it the other way and it works for me.

I went through the same thing. Only it was a Garmin, but I do have Windows XP. The problem was that the Serial to USB came with a tiny little CD that contained the driver that I overlooked in the box. Once I installed the driver all was good in El Diablo's world!

El Diablo

First off - make sure you follow the instructions for installing the USB to serial adapter. If it says Install the software first, then make sure you DON'T plug in the device first.

Try uninstalling it and then installing it again.

I have a Radio Shack adapter and use Win XP.

I have both a Magellan and a Garmin and use it for both.

What brand is the adpater you have?

What Software are you using to transfer to the GPS?

What serial options are in the selection box for the program you use?

Are there any at all? Usually on a laptop with no serial it will be COM3 or higher.

And yes, all of what you said matters.

Hold the Windows key and press Pause-Break. Click hardware, then Device Manager. Do you have a yellow question mark with "Other Devices" behind it? Try right clicking and updating the driver to see what kind of device it might be.

with the adaper un-plugged -

Go to Ports (COM and LPT) you should likely have one in there for the built in modem (maybe not - the modem may be under modems) what port is reported?

Plug the adapter in -

do you hear a beep - do you get a message?

do you now see a serial port or a different port number in the device manager?

if so - this is the port number you should use in the program you are using for waypoint transfer. Knowing the program would help.

Which model of Magellan do you have? IF it's a Meridian, or a eXplorist, a better option might be to return the adapter (if you can) and get a SD card reader instead. The card reader would be faster than a serial connection, and more reliable than a USB-Serial adapter.

Edited by IV_Warrior

HI IV -

he wrote me off line but I am going to copy here -

He has a Maridian Gold - need your help here - from the Magellan site the best I can tell is that this is a serial device - is that right?

Has the Magellan USB to Serial adapter -

can't find a reference on the site to getting the software. Anyone else have this adapter? What about software for this device? What medium does it come on? Where should he find it?

quote below formatted for ease of reading -

I purchased the serial-to-USB cable from Magellan - there was no associated software of which I am aware. 

I use EasyGPS to upload data to my Magellan Meridian Gold from the serial port on my desktop. 

When I am out on the road, I wanted to use my laptop. 

I would like to think I am somewhat computer literate but this is throwing me. 

If it is a factor, I am also using the laptop to upload to my PDA - it had additional software for setting up the USB as a virtual com port.  It works fine. 

When I go into the device manager, there is a device (related to the GPS) shown as unsuccessfully loaded (yellow question mark??). 

I have tried reinstalling that driver but it can't find what it needs on the internet.  You had a lot of information in your reply and I appreciate your assistance.  Thanks Ed

The following was my answer to him. Maybe some of you out there with this exact combination can offer some some more specific help than I have. And teach me something too.

My answer to his info above -

EasyGPS is what I was looking for.

> If it is a factor, I am also using the laptop to upload to my PDA -

>it had additional software for setting up the USB as a virtual com port.  It works fine.

First off it looks like you have to stop you PDA sync software as the other guy mentioned.

Yes - it works for your PDA - and is likely blocking the other software from using the port that is created.

Second - when the serial adapter is plugged in, what serial ports are available to EGPS?

>When I go into the device manager, there is a device (related to the GPS) shown as

>unsuccessfully loaded (yellow question mark??).  I have tried reinstalling that driver

>but it can't find what it needs on the internet.  You had a lot of information in your reply

>and I appreciate your assistance. 

Not sure why you should see a GPS device in your device manager - does your GPS connect through a serial port or directly as a USB Device.  If as USB then don't use the serial adapter.  Near as I can tell them Meridian Gold is a serial device.  For now, delete the GPS device in your Device Manager.

Just for future reference, if you ever have to write in the forums again for a tech question, please give us as much info as possible that is related - it does matter.

You don't want to get software from the internet.  You want to follow the instructions carefully for installing the devices.  I screwed up and plugged in my GPS before I installed the CD - that caused me a ton of grief to get it to work right. 

>I purchased the serial-to-USB cable from Magellan - there was no associated software of which I am aware.

Now - you should have gotten software with the serial adapter - go back and look in the box.  That is a special device that requires a driver.  It could be a mini (3") CD  or even a floppy.  My Radio Shack adapter had a floppy. That is likely why it is not working as expected.  Like I asked in the forum - does the COM port list change when you plug in the adapter?  Do you hear a little Teedum sound when you plug it in - or do you get a message? We want to see if it is recognized by Windows.  I got a little CD with my Timex USB Watch that I almost threw away - tucked into the bottom flap of the box.

is this what you bought -

http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/pro....asp?PRODID=910

can't find a reference for software download - check with their support to see if they have a download or where the software is and what medium it is on.  Need to know if it is recognized and what serial ports are reported.

There are several of us who have gone through this with several people and we have not failed yet.  Painful at times, but never failed.  So don't despair.  What brand is the laptop?

guess this is enough for now -

>You had a lot of information in your reply and I appreciate your assistance.  Thanks Ed

welcome - that is what I do for a living.  Ha! no, I guess I don't get enough of it ...

any additional info out there? Maybe you can help speed up this process.

Thanks to all and Ed for haning in there with us - sometimes it just takes some time to sort these things out -

cc\

HI IV -

he wrote me off line but I am going to copy here -

He has a Maridian Gold - need your help here - from the Magellan site the best I can tell is that this is a serial device - is that right?

Yep, it's serial, but unless he's hoping to do real time tracking on the laptop with it, I'd try to return the adapter and get a card reader to load info to an SD card, and use the card in the Meridian.

I got a Delorme Earthmate USB GPS (M$ has a version, too, if you're using Streets & Trips) to do "real time tracking" on my "usb only" laptop when I realized Serial-USB adapters could be more of a PITA than a useful tool.

With the Magellan adapter may need to email them and get the patch. I couldn't get the Magellan adapter to work no matter what I did. They send me a patch I haven't tried to use it yet since I got another adapter I had to work.

Ahh... thank you -

Did you get software with this device?

He says he did not - this is what I expect the problem really is.

cc\

Sure did, the CD was in the back side of the package.

ya was afraid of that -

is there anything in the docs that would indicate where to go to get the drivers?

I think Ed tossed the baby with the wash. He said there was nothing but dumped the packing as soon as he pulled out the cable.

Turns out the yellow question mark is for the adapter - says no driver installed. Which is why it does not work.

I will contact you off line.

thanks for the info.

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

There is only so many USB drivers for usb/serial adapter cables. Most adapters are pretty generic , usually made to one or two designs, but sold under many brand names, and generic drivers are available on many sites.

Try Google Search for "USB drivers" AND "product name" or "model numbers" or "serial port".

Also maybe something like this tool may help...

http://www.gold-software.com/UnknownDevice...review12752.htm

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn
There is only so many USB drivers for usb/serial adapter cables. Most adapters are pretty generic , usually made to one or two designs, but sold under many brand names, and generic drivers are available on many sites.

Try Google Search for "USB drivers" AND "product name" or "model numbers" or "serial port".

Also maybe something like this tool may help...

http://www.gold-software.com/UnknownDevice...review12752.htm

Dale

well now - that's pretty nice -

and a neat site too -- thanks -

cc\

Can you post that link?

My laptop has no serial either, and it sensed the adapter fine on plug in, but I can't change the COM port in Easy GPS even if I delete and reinstall the Garmin ETrex I have. Everything is greyed out, especially the "use USB" box I need. I got this adapter on ebay and I can't get it to work either; I tried everything listed above in addition. Made sure it was in the right mode, everything. But I have no cd.

Can you post that link?

My laptop has no serial either, and it sensed the adapter fine on plug in, but I can't change the COM port in Easy GPS even if I delete and reinstall the Garmin ETrex I have. Everything is greyed out, especially the "use USB" box I need. I got this adapter on ebay and I can't get it to work either; I tried everything listed above in addition. Made sure it was in the right mode, everything. But I have no cd.

If you are using a USB/SERIAL adapter you do not use the USB option on EasyGPS setup. YOU need to have valid comport number that the "system" ( Windows and software application) understands. Below is a bit of babble in what you might need to do to get usb/serial adapter, Windows, software application and GPS unit to communicate...

Its quite possible your lap top or desk top machine can not "find" correct COM port!...

Suggest you delve into what COM ports or USB/adapter ports your "systems" have available or are configured for....

Major problem is usually identifying what COM port number the USB/RS-232 (serial) adapter was assigned by WINDOWS system. This is also valid for locating available hardwired serial ports. Port numbers can be verified in the "control panel" under "system" under "hardware" under "device manager". Scroll down to “ports” and it will tell you the port number and at what speed (baud) port is configured at. This info is necessary to get EasyGPS and GSAK and “other” programs to communicate with GPS unit. Yes you do need to set baud rate on GPS to match computer COM port which may be set with whatever software computer is running.

Most software applications and hardware (modems) like to work with COM 1 ... Also if you have any "synchronize” software running for a Palm or other hand held, it grabs COM 1 and will not let any other applications use it. You may need to disable any synchronization software it you have it as a running application to release COM 1 if you have to use that specific COM port.

Also just plugging in a USB/SERIAL adapter "may not" trigger system to assign COM port number. In some cases you must have a valid device (GPS) on end of data cable from USB/SERAIL adapter and device must be turned on for system to respond and assign a COM port number. Also having a loop back plug in usb/serial adapter will trigger adapter/system to assign com port number if adapter requires a "valid" device on end of cable.

As for not having CD, did you try to locate drivers for your adapter using the GOLD-SOFTWARE tools?

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

man this helped me. I am using an eTrex legend and couldnt get it to work. Thanks to the info provided I used the com 6 port in the software (gsak) and it works like a champ. I had orginally thougth that the USB setting would work but it didnt. thanks for the info.

All is well now in my house - this morning I got a reply from Magellan providing a link for the correct serial-to-usb driver for WinXP. I installed it and it works fine. Thanks to all for their input and help - especially you Dave.

very welcome -

hey we aim to please -

glad it is working -

cc\

:lol::P:o:D:o

Thanks everybody, I'm grateful for all the help.

I'm getting bummed. I did download the device identifier program from Gold Software and found no devices unidentified. Is it:

HID->COM RS232 Adapter?

If it is, the company is Cypress Semiconductor Corp, and I looked up the driver info and got confuuused.

:D

I can't see anything that would ring a bell as a driver for this adapter. I might be missing it...

I looked in the device manager, on my computer, and I don't see "ports". I went to the menu and clicked "show hidden devices", still nothing. I did however go to the modem and the properties told me it was at COM3. I'm running XP Home edition.

I thought it might be my wireless mouse, I unplugged it and plugged in the adapter, still no go.

I'm using Easy GPS to try to send a .loc file to my Garmin ETrex, just so you know what it is I'm not having luck doing. I get the message that the port can't be opened.

I'm going to try some other things, I'm going to take off my mouse completely, plug in the adapter with GPS on and reboot.

Any help with the driver, especially an emailed or CD burned driver file sent to me would be GREAT...I'm reading all the advice and doing my best to at least learn something, even if it doesn't work. Send it all on.

Ok.... Well you wont see a "port" unless the device (serial adapter) has a driver!

Try this, with adapter UNPLUGGED, scan for all drvices... Make record of what all devices shows up (print screes). Now plug in Serical adapter, there should be a change in device list. This should be the adapter trying to initaite it self and find its driver. This may give you the information you need to identify the specifric device...

Dale

I'm watching this thread with some interest :D

I have similar woes. However my laptop seest he lead as a port but will NOT talk to anything connected to it. so no GSAK from laptop.. lead does work as I'm using it on desktop machine.

By the way laptop WXP SP2

I'm watching this thread with some interest :D

I have similar woes. However my laptop seest he lead as a port but will NOT talk to anything connected to it. so no GSAK from laptop.. lead does work as I'm using it on desktop machine.

By the way laptop WXP SP2

IF computer sees com port and can't communicate, are you sure baud rate is same with device (GPS) and baud rate setup in software on computer.

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

More Blather...

Finding Com Port

Its quite possible your lap top or desk top machine can not "find" correct COM port!...

Suggest you delve into what COM ports or USB/adapter ports your "systems" have available or are configured for....

Major problem is usually identifying what COM port number the USB/RS-232 (serial) adapter was assigned by WINDOWS system. This is also valid for locating available hardwired serial ports. Port numbers can be verified in the "control panel" under "system" under "hardware" under "device manager". Scroll down to “ports” and it will tell you the port number and at what speed (baud) port is configured at. This info is necessary to get EasyGPS and GSAK and “other” programs to communicate with GPS unit. Yes you do need to set baud rate on GPS to match computer COM port which may be set with whatever software computer is running.

Most software applications and hardware (modems) like to work with COM 1 ... Also if you have any "synchronize” software running for a Palm or other hand held, it grabs COM 1 and will not let any other applications use it. You may need to disable any synchronization software it you have it as a running application to release COM 1 if you have to use that specific COM port.

Also just plugging in a USB/SERIAL adapter to usb port may not trigger system to assign COM port number. In some cases you must have a valid device (GPS) on end of data cable from usb/serial adapter and the device must be turned on for system to respond and assign a COM port number. Also having a loop back plug in usb/serial adapter will trigger adapter/system to assign com port number if serial adapter requires a "valid" device on end of cable.

Hyper Terminal Test

Here is procedure to test COM/SERIAL/USB port. It will work with both hardwired serial port (COM) on older computers or with USB/SERIAL adapters if proper drivers are loaded. This test will require a “loop back” plug for serial connector that has pins 2 and 3 connected (shorted) back to each other.

1. Determine COM port number using the process above to find the port number (Finding Com Port).

2. Open HYPER-TERM the communications terminal program that is standard part of Windows supplied utilities. If installed it may be found under “Communications” on main menus. (or any other terminal program you are familiar with)

3. Establish a “new connection” file name. something like “serialtest” or “loopbacktest”. Specifying the specific COM port number (found in above procedure). Set ASCII options to NOT echo characters locally (Uncheck – Echo Characters Locally).

4. Plug in USB/SERIAL adapter and install “loop back” plug on serial connector plug ( if using hardwired port on computer that is where loop back plug goes also) . IF you can now type characters on key board and see them appear on screen the com port and path (and USB adapter) are good. If you unplug loop back plug and then type and characters do not appear on screen this further verifies port is working properly and adapter is working. If you type and get double characters (aa-bb-cc) for each key stroke with loop back plug in place it means “local echo” is turned on. If you only get single characters when loop back plug is removed then it still proves serial path is good.

Hyper Terminal setup.

Start Hyper Terminal and when “New Connection” window box is presented enter your file name (“looptest” or whatever) Click ok.

Next box should say “Connect To:”

In this box, at bottom it should say “Connect Using“and there should be a com port number ( mine comes up COM 4 – Yours may be different). Click OK.

Note: Hyper Terminal should only show you any valid COM ports available by system. IF you don’t see and COM ports your adapter is not configured ( drivers?). Your computers MODEM should also be listed if computer is so equipped and modem is “active”.

With loop back plug in place try typing. Do you get characters? Answer should be yes.

Remove loop back plug, do you get characters? Answer should be no.

If you need to change “echo” settings. Go to File drop down menu and click on Properties. In properties box, click on Settings Tab. In setting box select ASCII Setup. Either check or uncheck “ Echo typed characters locally” (what ever you prefer).

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

IT WORKED!!!

Actually, I purchased another adapter because I was having trouble getting the driver to work, and I figured another $10 wouldn't hurt. I was just getting too frustrated.

This one is by Prolific, and I had first installed the driver, I got a message that there was one installed, but continued with the new driver. Still, EasyGPS and the computer's port numbers were different. Finally I plugged in the GPS, turned it on, and rebooted all, and the computer grabbed a port for the GPS (I think) that works for both.

At any rate, I at least learned something. I was about to post that the system's com port # and the software's # were different, but I just now tried it and I'm good to go.

Thanks for all that blather...i actually read it and it helped me get it! Now that it's here I can refer if I have problems later. I never did have to fiddle with flow control or speed, but who knows...

ingie

Yahoo!

Guys,

I don't have a com port on my laptop but the software and driver was installed anyway. I was able to upload and download to the GPS fine and then I wasn't. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, the USB drivers and everything else. I still couldn't get it to see the device even though it was opening the file window when I connected to it. I finally selected NMEA and shut off the drivers, by selecting off on the menu selection, and it was okay after that.

Just a tidbit that worked for me,

Tom

Guys,

I don't have a com port on my laptop but the software and driver was installed anyway. I was able to upload and download to the GPS fine and then I wasn't. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, the USB drivers and everything else. I still couldn't get it to see the device even though it was opening the file window when I connected to it. I finally selected NMEA and shut off the drivers, by selecting off on the menu selection, and it was okay after that.

Just a tidbit that worked for me,

Tom

An aaah moment...Most people don't realize the NEMA has nothing to with most aspects of using a GPS and having GPS communicate with computer system for data exchanges (Way point) . NMEA is primarily a communications protocol for GPS to interface with other specalized electronics for data acquisition or positioning equipment for real time navigation. 99% of the time it can be turned off for our hand held units.

Dale

More Blather...

Finding Com Port

<Snip good stuff>

Thanks to all the help here... I WILL fix my problem somehow..

Tried the Hyperterminal trick on main comp Win98se no problems.

However on the laptop WinXPSP2 no talkback at all even though the port shows up in settings and dissapears when the adapter is removed.. All the port settings look good and the driver was the one advised from the tech helpers at the purchace site. Any thurther thoughts anyone.................