whats the best GPS for under $200

ohiocaver

Mine! And I'll sell it to you for $199 discounted!!

icon_smile.gif

Couldn't resist.... Welcome to the forums!

The most popular 2 right now are the Garmin Vista and the Magellan Platinum... Although just about any GPS will do. The more $$ the more bells and whistles.

Check out this link

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

You can buy many good GPS between 100 to 200.

Mapping ability, PC Cable, WAAS- these features can be had in a Magellan for less than what Garmin wants.

You may find that people will be very strongly supportive of one brand or the other, and try to clear your mind of that.

Make sure it has the features that you want and need. You could spend all $200 easily.

But you could also spend $120 and be rockin.

I just got a SportTrak map from the "flying J" e-store for $99 and took a $30 rebate from Magellin. I don't need alot of bells and whistles and and VERY happy witrh my $69 investment.

!**BUMMER**! I posted too soon and the forum won't let me delete it! I just checked the site and it states that they are out of stock and won't be getting any more. Sorry to get your hopes up.

"Now may every living thing, young or old, weak or strong, living near or far, known or unknown, living or departed or yet unborn, may every living thing know happiness!"

The following are some nice features of the Meridian that the Legend does not have:

1.Operates best vertical, and when mounted in a vehicle, one-finger-push operating.

2. Unit floats

3. 2 levels of backlighting, and the buttons light-up.

4. SD card memory-- load, save groups of waypoints and routes. Load street, topo and marine maps,and quickly switch between them.

5. Several alarms, the most handy being the proximity alarm.

6. The name of the cache is shown on the waypoint's page, when the waypoints are loaded from .loc or .gpx files.

7. You can project in one-hundredths of a degree, and in yards up-to/under a mile.

8. Displays second coord/datum.

The Yellow RINO is the Best thing I have seen yet................Happy Geotrails..

for that price.If I could afford the GREEN RINO it is even better but about $270 + -

The IOUE! is awesome $$$$$$$?

http://www.gpsexplorer.com/garminique3600.html?source=looksmart

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

http://www.doi.gov/news/front_current.html

**1803-2003** "LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/

Initial Points Page

http://www.True-Meridiansubscribe@yahoogroups.com

Ive been looking at different gpsr models to buy recently, and as said before it came down to the etrex legend and the magellan sportrak map. Im going for the ST Map because for the same price of the legend it includes the magellan canadian cd, and also the ST has a *SLIGHTLY* better antenna (the legend looses its signal a bit longer that the ST map under trees, I tested them out already). Both units are pretty good though.

Hope that helps!

In the Cabella's catalog, they have a $50 rebate on many of their Magellan SporTrack Series (NOT the Yellow Orig. SporTrack, but the Map and up), so the SporTrack Map is $149.99. Their Website says you have to buy the Streets and Maps or TOPO software, but the catalog makes no such requirement. This is the unit I have, and I like it a lot.

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

quote:
Originally posted by EScout:

The following are some nice features of the Meridian that the Legend does not have:

1.Operates best vertical, and when mounted in a vehicle, one-finger-push operating.

2. Unit floats

3. 2 levels of backlighting, and the buttons light-up.

4. SD card memory-- load, save groups of waypoints and routes. Load street, topo and marine maps,and quickly switch between them.

5. Several alarms, the most handy being the proximity alarm.

6. The name of the cache is shown on the waypoint's page, when the waypoints are loaded from .loc or .gpx files.

7. You can project in one-hundredths of a degree, and in yards up-to/under a mile.

8. Displays second coord/datum.

I think the Meridians costs 50% more too. icon_biggrin.gif

I had a rino and now have a legend (long story, it's in the GPS forum) and would suggest the rino. It has some really cool features, the radio part isn't as nice as a motorola but it's not that bad, and the gps part of the unit seems to be a little more sophisticated than the dedicated gps counterpart.

Perhaps the best value is the Magellan Meridian, selling for as low as 0. It is full featured, takes a memory card and maps, comes with a data cable. If you can't find them in a store, try ebay.

This is the model I use. More bells and whistles than I need. Takes the memory card in the battery compartment. OK location but you have to take the batteries out to get the card out. No hot swapping available. The plus side of this is that the slot doesn't get dirty.

The WAAS setting is annoying and I don't seem to have a way of turning this off.

(IMHO: I think some "WAAShole" thought this WAAS thing up to keep the machine from just listing a coordinate without changing numbers due to "averaging".)

Overall, I would recommend it, particularly for a new player who wanted a machine that wouldn't have to be replaced in a year.