Gsak 5.5.1 And/or Gpsbabel - Problems

I just did a completely fresh install of GSAK 5.5.1, and I seem to have found a few bugs/problems.

Problem # 1

If I export my database using the "Microsoft Streets & Trips CSV File", two of the caches end up with completely incorrect data in the resulting CSV file ("Snake Hater's Cache II" and "Sampson's Pebble").

Here is what it's *supposed* to be (I'm just showing the first of the two problem caches):

Snake Haters Cache II	40.617717	-75.364583	Description goes here	http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9068734b-c307-4f75-9f97-c0119839b64d	Traditional cache	Unknown	1.0	2.0

Here's what I actually get

Snake Haters Cache II	0.000000	40.617717	Geocache	1 / 2 - Placed by Fren-Z	Unknown	Unknown	0.0	1.0

I checked the GSAK/temp/babel.gpx file, and it seems to be correct. The entry in question shows the following:

<wpt lat="40.617717" lon="-75.364583">
 <time>2004-11-15T00:00:00.0000000-08:00</time>
 <name>Snake Haters Cache II	</name>
 <desc>1 / 2 - Placed by Fren-Z</desc>
 <url>http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9068734b-c307-4f75-9f97-c0119839b64d</url>
 <urlname>Snake Haters Cache II  by Fren-Z</urlname>
 <sym>Geocache</sym>
 <type>Geocache|Traditional Cache</type>
 <gsak:wptExtension xmlns:gsak="http://www.gsak.net/xmlv1">
  <gsak:UserFlag>false</gsak:UserFlag>
  <gsak:Lock>false</gsak:Lock>
  <gsak:DNF>false</gsak:DNF>
  <gsak:Watch>false</gsak:Watch>
  <gsak:UserData> </gsak:UserData>
 </gsak:wptExtension>
 <Groundspeak:cache id="187492" available="True" archived="False" xmlns:Groundspeak="http://www.Groundspeak.com/cache/1/0">
  <Groundspeak:name>Snake Haters Cache II	</Groundspeak:name>
  <Groundspeak:placed_by>Fren-Z</Groundspeak:placed_by>
  <Groundspeak:owner id="29632">Fren-Z</Groundspeak:owner>
  <Groundspeak:type>Traditional Cache</Groundspeak:type>
  <Groundspeak:container>Other</Groundspeak:container>
  <Groundspeak:difficulty>1</Groundspeak:difficulty>
  <Groundspeak:terrain>2</Groundspeak:terrain>
  <Groundspeak:country>United States</Groundspeak:country>
  <Groundspeak:state>PA</Groundspeak:state>
  <Groundspeak:short_description html="False"></Groundspeak:short_description>
  <Groundspeak:long_description html="False">This is the second  in a series of caches. All caches are located in or very close to snake habitat. The cache container is approximable 20' tall. Please bring a permanent marker or paint stick to sign the log  with name and date only. Parking is available at 40° 37.350N  075° 21.631W. Access to area is at 40° 37.178N  075° 21.574W. Some areas are a bit wet and muddy so plan accordingly</Groundspeak:long_description>
   <Groundspeak:encoded_hints></Groundspeak:encoded_hints>
  <Groundspeak:logs>
   <Groundspeak:log id="7806402">
     <Groundspeak:date>2005-05-05T08:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
     <Groundspeak:type>Found it</Groundspeak:type>
     <Groundspeak:finder id="208184">natureboy51</Groundspeak:finder>
     <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Sceond time here,and still did'nt see anything to sign,so I signed that 20'tall container in side with a sharpe pen,lets see that disappear."Wow" did I get attacked by the purple martins birds in this area.I had to wave a stick at them to get by,they kept swooping me.They were still pretty to see.Thanks Fren-Z,Natureboy51,</Groundspeak:text>
   </Groundspeak:log>
   <Groundspeak:log id="7748791">
     <Groundspeak:date>2005-05-02T08:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
     <Groundspeak:type>Enable Lis</Groundspeak:type>
     <Groundspeak:finder id="29632">Fren-Z</Groundspeak:finder>
     <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Cache log replaced.<br><br>Fren-Z</Groundspeak:text>
   <Groundspeak:log id="7496600">
     <Groundspeak:date>2005-04-17T08:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
     <Groundspeak:type>Temporaril</Groundspeak:type>
     <Groundspeak:finder id="29632">Fren-Z</Groundspeak:finder>
     <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">For obvious reasons</Groundspeak:text>
   <Groundspeak:log id="7540463">
     <Groundspeak:date>2005-04-16T08:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
     <Groundspeak:finder id="23244">RealDeal</Groundspeak:finder>
     <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Found with YipRip and Natureboy51<br>Just no where to sign it,thanks cache thief</Groundspeak:text>
   <Groundspeak:log id="7535757">
     <Groundspeak:date>2005-04-16T08:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
     <Groundspeak:finder id="29698">yiprip</Groundspeak:finder>
     <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">we found your 20ft cache.just no where to sign it,thanks to your log in cache thief</Groundspeak:text>
 </Groundspeak:logs>
  <Groundspeak:travelbugs>
  </Groundspeak:travelbugs>
</Groundspeak:cache>
</wpt>

To me, that would indicate that the problem seems to occur when the GPX file is being processed into the S&T CSV file. But again, this isn't happening to all caches - just those two.

Problem #2

When I try to do a Custom Export, I'm using the GPSBabel v1.5 "s_and_t.style" file. However, when using even this unmodified style file, the "Waypoint Description" field is being exported into the CSV file as simply the cache name.

In other words, here are my settings for the Custom Export:

Waypoint Name: %name

Maximun Characters: 100

Waypoint Description Format: %dif / %ter - Placed by %by

Statement to Run: "C:\Apps\GSAK\GPSBabel.exe" -i gpx -f "C:\Apps\GSAK\temp\babel.gpx" -o xcsv,style="C:\Data Files\GSAK Data\Styles\Modified S&T Style for 1.5.txt" -F "C:\Test\S&T Geocache Export.csv"

When I run this, what I'm *supposed* to get in the resulting CSV file is the following (truncated):

Trout Brook Cache	42.392183	-71.842433	2 / 3 - Placed by MOBDIC	http....

What I *actually* get is the following (truncated):

Trout Brook Cache	42.392183	-71.842433   Trout Brook Cache	http....

I get these results using the default Style file, even if I don't modify it at all.

The babel.gpx file shows the following data for that sample cache:

<wpt lat="42.392183" lon="-71.842433">
 <time>2002-11-23T00:00:00.0000000-08:00</time>
 <name>  Trout Brook Cache</name>
 <desc>2 / 3 - Placed by MOBDIC</desc>
 <url>http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e4c139a0-2543-4dd1-bdb4-076d45a32767</url>
 <urlname>  Trout Brook Cache by MOBDIC</urlname>
 <sym>Geocache</sym>
 <type>Geocache|Traditional Cache</type>
 <gsak:wptExtension xmlns:gsak="http://www.gsak.net/xmlv1">
  <gsak:UserFlag>false</gsak:UserFlag>
  <gsak:Lock>false</gsak:Lock>
  <gsak:DNF>false</gsak:DNF>
  <gsak:Watch>false</gsak:Watch>
  <gsak:UserData> </gsak:UserData>
 </gsak:wptExtension>
 <Groundspeak:cache id="44011" available="True" archived="False" xmlns:Groundspeak="http://www.Groundspeak.com/cache/1/0">
  <Groundspeak:name>  Trout Brook Cache</Groundspeak:name>
  <Groundspeak:placed_by>MOBDIC</Groundspeak:placed_by>
  <Groundspeak:owner id="38454">MOBDIC</Groundspeak:owner>
  <Groundspeak:type>Traditional Cache</Groundspeak:type>
  <Groundspeak:container>Regular</Groundspeak:container>
  <Groundspeak:difficulty>2</Groundspeak:difficulty>
  <Groundspeak:terrain>3</Groundspeak:terrain>
  <Groundspeak:country>United States</Groundspeak:country>
  <Groundspeak:state>MA</Groundspeak:state>
  <Groundspeak:short_description html="False"> This is an easy walk and fairly  level .  There are a couple of  streams with bridges to cross.</Groundspeak:short_description>
  <Groundspeak:long_description html="False">    This cache is in  the town of Holden Ma. The parking area which is  N42-23.100  W071-50.200  is on Manning  st. which runs between  Rt. 31 and Rt.140 . There is a large parking area next to the street.There are many walking trails in this  reservation.The cache is about 50 ft. from the trail. This area is also dog friendly In the cache there will be 
        Lock and key 
       Blinking light 
       Coat Hook
       New CD Rewritable
       Name Tags
       Also the Travel Bug  "KING BUD"  will start his travels from here.  He is  hoping to go to California</Groundspeak:long_description>
   <Groundspeak:encoded_hints>There will be a small pond to go around the trail head starts at the further end of the pond. Follow on the white trail.The cache is under a FIR tree with low branches. ENJOY  ô¿ô</Groundspeak:encoded_hints>
  <Groundspeak:logs>
   <Groundspeak:log id="7871998">
     <Groundspeak:date>2005-05-08T08:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
     <Groundspeak:finder id="339547">EaglesEyes</Groundspeak:finder>
     <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Fun Cache. Nice Mother's Day walk. Used to camp here as a Boy Scout 29+ years ago. Scout Troop 178. Took Pencil grabber.  Left Air freshener. SL</Groundspeak:text>
   <Groundspeak:log id="7631539">
     <Groundspeak:date>2005-04-24T08:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
     <Groundspeak:type>Write note</Groundspeak:type>
     <Groundspeak:finder id="38454">mobdic</Groundspeak:finder>
     <Groundspeak:text encoded="False"> Picker up "Australia Bound" travel bug. Will take it to Ireland in June.     MOBDIC</Groundspeak:text>
   <Groundspeak:log id="7631409">
     <Groundspeak:date>2005-04-24T08:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
     <Groundspeak:type>Write note</Groundspeak:type>
     <Groundspeak:finder id="38454">mobdic</Groundspeak:finder>
     <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Dropped off travel bug "Australia Bound"  MOBDIC</Groundspeak:text>
   <Groundspeak:log id="7592618">
     <Groundspeak:date>2005-04-22T08:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
     <Groundspeak:finder id="295822">jode</Groundspeak:finder>
     <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">This was our second cache of the day on this beautiful Earth Day.  We bushwacked from the wrong parkinglot, but had a great time. There are some very well kept trails out here. We picked up some golf tees, and dropped off a Wild Women of the Wilderness whistle. The muggles and dogs were out in full force this afternoon! TFTH, great clues and coords!</Groundspeak:text>
   <Groundspeak:log id="7524557">
     <Groundspeak:date>2005-04-17T08:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
     <Groundspeak:finder id="118763">GeoMutt and the Dibbles</Groundspeak:finder>
     <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">What a beautiful day. Went for a nice long bike ride and decided to "rest" by finding a couple of caches along the trail. This was the first of two for the day. Sadly, GeoMutt and the wife were at work . . . Great trails to ride on though, met lots of nice people along the way. <br><br>TNLNSL</Groundspeak:text>
 </Groundspeak:logs>
  <Groundspeak:travelbugs>
  </Groundspeak:travelbugs>
</Groundspeak:cache>
</wpt>

And as you can see, the requisite line:

<desc>2 / 3 - Placed by MOBDIC</desc>

...does have the Description field correct.

The only thing I can think of is that the v1.5 S&T Style Sheet is incorrect - perhaps in the field declerations section.

So, these are the two problems that I've come across so far. Can Clyde or Robert help enlighten me as to what's going on here, and what I need to do in order to fix it? :)

I can't reproduce this based on just what you've posted here, but since I had to mock up the surrounding GPX tags, we aren't testing the same thing.

Send me a source file (the smaller the better) and a complete command line needed to reproduce what you're seeing.

I have a nice package set up for you to be able to duplicate everything.

I sent you an email through the Geocaching.com form, and as soon as I have an email address - I'll send you those files. ;)

Problem #1 is becuase Groundspeak:name is preferred as a "stronger" name over desc which is what he's modifying. I can't recall the precise closure on this, but I think I recall the OP walking away happy once it was analyzed.

Problem #2 is because GSAK is building a tab separated list and handing it to me. Unfortunately, the cache in question contains a tab in the name. (Groundspeak should probably trap this as it's kind of wierd, but they don't.) Clyde said he'd modify GSAK to strip them on the way to me.

Problem #1 is becuase Groundspeak:name is preferred as a "stronger" name over desc which is what he's modifying.  I can't recall the precise closure on this, but  I think I recall the OP walking away happy once it was analyzed.

Actually, I still do need GPSBabel to process the Waypoint Description (as entered through GSAK) correctly.

As we discussed it, you were going to "think on that one to come up with an appropriately brilliant solution". ;)

You also discussed the possibility of adding an option for a future version to not favor the Groundspeak names - but I never heard anything further, so I don't know what you decided or when you might be making any changes. :P

"Correctly" is in the eye of the beholder. There are multiple names given to GPSBabel and they're different. It has to pick one. It's just a "too many watches" problem and we have to figure out how to decide either which is the most correct or give you the option of telling it which you want.

I just returned from a week of travelling, so I'm fuzzy on the details, but I do see it's in the list of things needing an "appropriately brilliant solution".

"Correctly" is in the eye of the beholder.  There are multiple names given to GPSBabel and they're different.  It has to pick one.  It's just a "too many watches" problem and we have to figure out how to decide either which is the  most correct or give you the option of telling it which you want.

I have to admit, I don't really see a whole lot of ambiguity here - insofar as doing a Custom Export from within GSAK.

When you do any export from GSAK, one of the fields in the dialog box is "Waypoint description format". When you export via any of the other formats (the ones I've tested, anyway), that "Waypoint description format" field maps directly to the Description field in the export file.

However, when doing a Custom Export, the "Waypoint description format" field is effectively ignored and is replaced with a second copy of the Cache Name - even though the information does exist within the GPX file that GSAK generates for GPSBabel to process.

To the point of view of a GSAK user trying to export, that seems to be a pretty clear bug. ;)

...and if GSAK were GPSBabel's only user, it really would be as simple as you describe.

But as long as Groundspeak is glomming five different fields into <desc> while using a sensible name in <Groundspeak:name> and GSAK is allowing you to modify <desc> but not <Groundspeak:name> there is ambiguity.

...and if GSAK were GPSBabel's only user, it really would be as simple as you describe.   

But as long as Groundspeak is glomming five different fields into <desc> while using a sensible name in <Groundspeak:name>  and GSAK is allowing you to modify <desc> but not <Groundspeak:name> there is ambiguity.

I just took a look at a sample GPX file that GSAK generates during a Custom Export, and what I found is that there is one "<desc>" tag used in the header, which is <desc>Geocache file generated by GSAK</desc>

And after that, the <desc> tags are used only once per Waypoint - and is correctly set from the "Waypoint description" field within GSAK.

And if there's only one <desc> tag per waypoing, I wouldn't think that there would be a problem with GPSBabel parsing this properly.

Am I missing something? ;)

The file you sent me as well as the sample above has BOTH waypt <desc> tag AND a <Groundspeak:name> tag. <desc> has what you want. <Groundspeak:name> is present and it gets precedence over <desc>. But that doesn't contain what you want. (It does contain what _most_ people want when feeding pocket queries directly to GPSBabel.)

The file you sent me as well as the sample above has BOTH  waypt <desc> tag AND a <Groundspeak:name> tag.  <desc> has what you want.  <Groundspeak:name> is present and it gets precedence over <desc>.  But that doesn't contain what you want.    (It does contain what _most_ people want when feeding pocket queries directly to GPSBabel.)

Okay, I think I'm following you so far. But if Enchanted Shadow is having this problem specifically with a Custom Export - isn't is possible to tell GPSBabel which field to use for the Description within the Style File?

I mean, isn't that it's purpose? To map out exactly what you want and how you want it?

Style files let you control the mappings for something-separated data such as tab separated or comma separated.    The input data in question is GPX which isn't an xsv format.

Right, but the GPX file is fine - it contains the data I want mapped to the Description field.

The problem is *not* in transferring the data to a GPS. The problem is when GPSBabel is converting that GPX file to a CSV file. Which means the problem is exactly that GPSBabel is mapping the wrong tag into the Description field of the CSV file.

Shouldn't we be able to workaround this problem via the Style File?

No. As I've been trying to explain, the decision to prefer (when available) <Groundspeak:name> over <desc> is made in the GPX reader, not the CSV writer. It contains the data YOU want mapped to description, but it also contains the data that MORE people want mapped to description.

I just added an "ignore_gs_name" suboption to the GPX reader to let you give preferecne to <desc>. You can get it now from the CVS tree if you can build from source or it'll be in the next beta. No, I don't have a schedule for that yet.

I just added an "ignore_gs_name"  suboption to the GPX reader to let you give preferecne to <desc>.  You can get it now from the CVS tree if you can build from source or it'll be in the next beta.    No, I don't have a schedule for that yet.

I noticed that there have been new releases of GPS Babel (1.2.7) as well as GSAK (6.0.2) since you mentioned this.

Do the new versions of both have the ability to correctly deal with this issue?