Plaque Talk

I have an interesting plan for a new hide. I need to incorporate some sort of plaque into the cache placement. Is there any body out there that would have some sort of idea on how to create one? I have considered getting small peices of marble and trying to use a dremel / rotary tool to engrave it,... this however could become expensive very quickly as I don't even have a dremel.

The plaque would need to fit the following critera in the end.

- Nice finish, or the ability to hold paint to apply finish

- Longevity in the outdoors, aging is no problem but I don't want it to be destroyed by moisture or cold (may rule out clay, don't know)

- Not easily cracked or chipped

- Somewhere around 4 inch diamter, or 4 x 4 square.... not set on these dimensions but would like it to be near that size.

Cannot be made of cement as the place it will be mounted that we are creating is made out of that and it would not look all that thrilling.

Ideas anyone?

I used to work in a place that made those things out of stainless steel, copper bronze or brass. They used a metal acid etching process similar to how circuit boards are etched. Then we would add paint or whatever.

The process is EXPENSIVE. Georgous but expensive. Google for 'metal etch signage' and see what comes up.

Edited by Sparrowhawk

I realize this isn't EXACTLY fitting the criteria of size but metal dog tags (for dogs not military) that you can engrave yourself at a Wal*Mart are pretty rugged for outdoor use. Maybe you could just use 2 or 3 of them to get to your size requirement. Plus they can't be too terribly expensive.

Just a thought. :)

Perhaps a trophy shop could produce what you want.

Yea. This is the best bet. Look in the fone book. Marble engraving will be costly, as the marble itself is expensive, along with the process. (edit:) Carved wood?

On another note, Marcie made a business card out of plexiglass. She used a soldering iron to blaze some stuff into it. The dremel vibrated too much.. looked like a seismograph printout :)

-

(sp)

Edited by Marcie/Eric
Perhaps a trophy shop could produce what you want.

Yea. This is the best bet. Look in the fone book. Marble engraving will be costly, as the marble itself is expensive, along with the process. (edit:) Carved wood?

On another note, Marcie made a business card out of plexiglass. She used a soldering iron to blaze some stuff into it. The dremel vibrated too much.. looked like a seismograph printout :)

-

(sp)

That plexi-glass business card gave me an idea. I contacted a local engraver. They can cut a plaque out for me out of laminate (two layer plexiglass) and engrave the stuff I need in it. Its a little more expensive than I wanted but laminate should hold up to the weather fairly well.

thank you for all your help folks.

I will see if I can figure out how to close this topic so it doesn't get bumped a million times in the future. Ill post photos to the cool caches topic when its completed for those who are interested.

Again, thanks to everyone!

That plexi-glass business card gave me an idea. I contacted a local engraver. They can cut a plaque out for me out of laminate (two layer plexiglass) and engrave the stuff I need in it. Its a little more expensive than I wanted but laminate should hold up to the weather fairly well.

Dont close the topic too fast. Plexiglas does not weather well, at least not in the sun. It turns yellow and cracks. It may take a couple of years. So if you want it to keep looking good for more than a year, plexi may not be the answer.

If you can get hydrofluoric acid, you can etch glass yourself. I used to be a chemist and have done this (for fun) on glassware. Like the metal etching, it is done similarly to circuit board etching.

This looks like the ticket!! B)

Ceramic Tile Coasters

Go to Cafe-Press and start your own page, upload what you want to have printed on the tile coaster and then just order one "at cost" with no mark-up.

If it's something that you think would be special enough, you could direct the cacher to the page where they could order one of their own. B)

D-man B)

I'd go with the bubonic variety. See if you can get hold of some Yersinia pestis bacteria and culture it.

Oh, wait. You said plaque, not plague.

Never mind.

My first thought was going to be a reference to the tooth buildup. I decided to be serious. B)

A new ultra nano travelling cache located in teeth.... how diabolical! Especially if the cache carrier had REALLY bad breath! B)

This looks like the ticket!! B)

Ceramic Tile Coasters

Go to Cafe-Press and start your own page, upload what you want to have printed on the tile coaster and then just order one "at cost" with no mark-up.

If it's something that you think would be special enough, you could direct the cacher to the page where they could order one of their own. B)

D-man B)

These look great! I am a little worried someone might steal them though.

Although, one of those with the geocaching.com logo would be pretty awesome to get as a first to find! I will need to talk to the support staff at the site to talk about longevity in outdoor situations.

Dont close the topic too fast. Plexiglas does not weather well, at least not in the sun. It turns yellow and cracks. It may take a couple of years. So if you want it to keep looking good for more than a year, plexi may not be the answer.

If you can get hydrofluoric acid, you can etch glass yourself. I used to be a chemist and have done this (for fun) on glassware. Like the metal etching, it is done similarly to circuit board etching.

I would be a little concerned with using glassware, the item would essentially need to be rolled over in order to acces the cache. So it might end up breaking the glass, I guess I should have mentioned that in the OP. If I could maybe set it into the cement it might not be a problem.... I really should check out some sites about these etching processes. If nothing else it gives me ideas for future caches!

You can make almost anything out of polymer clay - any color, including metalics. It works like clay, cures in a home oven (my memory is around 200, but I could be wrong) DOES NOT SHRINK , can be drilled or painted - and is basically PVC so it holds up fine outside. The material itself is a bit pricey, but I've been surprised that more geocachers havent picked up on it. Your library will have a ton of "how to" books. I have a precisely fitted and color matched "rock" that sits perfectly into a local monument.

If I had had to allow for shrinkage as with clay getting the fit would have been a bear, but no problem with polymer. And cure temp is low enough that metal fittings can be baked in, which is what I did. Obnoxious cooking fumes.

Dont close the topic too fast.  Plexiglas does not weather well, at least not in the sun.  It turns yellow and cracks.  It may take a couple of years.  So if you want it to keep looking good for more than a year, plexi may not be the answer. 

If you can get hydrofluoric acid, you can etch glass yourself.  I used to be a chemist and have done this (for fun) on glassware.

True. Plexi doesn't weather well, especially in DIRECT sunlight. If the spot is enclosed in a box, in the shade, or facing north, you should be fine.

On another note. Mr tossedsalad, where can I get some hydroflouric acid?? Marcie's first idea was to use glas instead of plexi and etch it somehow. But we couldn't find anyone local who knew how to get this done at home or by someone we knew.

Edited by Marcie/Eric

We found a cache once that consisted of a plaque placed (by a geocacher) in the middle of an empty, nondescript field of weeds to commemorate an interesting set of coordinates. (That wouldn't likely be approved now, but back then I think it was listed as a virtual.) It was a nice slate stone plaque inscribed with the coordinates and a saying. It was a pity that it vanished after only ten finds, and a bit mind-boggling to wonder what non-cacher would have happened to walk there!

We found a cache once that consisted of a plaque placed (by a geocacher) in the middle of an empty, nondescript field of weeds to commemorate an interesting set of coordinates. (That wouldn't likely be approved now, but back then I think it was listed as a virtual.) It was a nice slate stone plaque inscribed with the coordinates and a saying. It was a pity that it vanished after only ten finds, and a bit mind-boggling to wonder what non-cacher would have happened to walk there!

I am guessing that it could be the subject of vadalism... or maybe a very greedy geocacher :P

Look up laser engravers. Find wood workers who deal with laser engravers. They will usually give you a better deal than a trophy shop. You can engrave just about any material and if you are looking for longevity, a metal or stone plaque may be the way to go.

I personally like stone.

There is a husband and wife team called Laser Dogs which do this in Texas.

I have used them and they do a good job at a decent price.

You can email them for a quote.

I'm sure there are many other laser engravers in your area as well.

:P

I've used glass etching creme on tons of things. It's fun and easy to use. Cover surface with masking tape, draw on design and cut out. You really do need a good exacto type of knife for this though (I used a scaple). Paint the creme on with a sponge brush, let it sit for a few minutes and rinse off with water.

I've used glass etching creme on tons of things. It's fun and easy to use. Cover surface with masking tape, draw on design and cut out. You really do need a good exacto type of knife for this though (I used a scaple). Paint the creme on with a sponge brush, let it sit for a few minutes and rinse off with water.

I have not done the research I should have on this subject. There seems to be so many different ways I could accomplish the task I have set before myself. The question at this point is do I go big? Or do I save money. I guess the location will dictate the response to that question.

With this glass etching cream... I would assume that the duration of time the cream is left on the deeper the etching will be? Or will it only take off a small amount of surface area despite time?

Look up laser engravers. Find wood workers who deal with laser engravers. They will usually give you a better deal than a trophy shop. You can engrave just about any material and if you are looking for longevity, a metal or stone plaque may be the way to go.

I personally like stone.

Hrmm, this is a possiblity as well... SIGH so many ways to proceed!

Look up laser engravers.  Find wood workers who deal with laser engravers.  They will usually give you a better deal than a trophy shop.  You can engrave just about any material and if you are looking for longevity, a metal or stone plaque may be the way to go.

I personally like stone.

Hrmm, this is a possiblity as well... SIGH so many ways to proceed!

Another thing about lasering your plaque is the resolution. It will be the sharpest image you can get from the suggestions I've seen.

I've seen some amazing images and effects done with lasers on stone.

Plain text really looks crisp as well.