Route 66 Geocaches

AAA puts out Route 66 Geocaches (use zipcode 90210 if it asks)

Only certain AAA club websites will tell you about this new set of geocaches on Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica. I had to lie to the AAA California webpage and tell it that I lived in 90210 in order to see the page.

Looks like fun if you live along the highway anywhere.

Hey, that's cool.

I hope they do that on more hiways. :)

AAA NM

Here's a link from my NM AAA. Looks pretty cool and fun.

Get Your Geocaching Kicks on Route 66

In each state, Dave and Todd are hiding caches at a variety of locations along Route 66. The geocache coordinates they get using their handheld Global Positioning System (GPS) units, courtesy of Garmin, will be posted on this page. Check regularly for coordinates to new caches, which will lead you to cool geocache sites on the Mother Road. The hidden treasure could include Hertz coupons, logo T-shirts, travel guides, children's games and more.

Looks like some good prizes!! I have a lot of Route 66 running through Albuquerque!! Maybe they will log some stuff here!! B)

Here is some more from the page... nice cache containers!!

First caches

r66-cache-box.jpg

What punks. If I type in a zip code (even along the route) that doesn't have a geocache in it, I get a loop of redirects that take you to some generic AAA page with no mention of geocaches. B)

What's worse is that there must be some cookie that memorizes the zip code I put in and won't ever let me try another one.

Does anyone have a URL for an actual page that tells about this Route 66 geocache business?

The link from team...in NM (posted above) redirects to this:

http://www.aaa-newmexico.com/getzip.asp

Edited by Seth!
What punks. If I type in a zip code (even along the route) that doesn't have a geocache in it, I get a loop of redirects that take you to some generic AAA page with no mention of geocaches. B)

What's worse is that there must be some cookie that memorizes the zip code I put in and won't ever let me try another one.

Does anyone have a URL for an actual page that tells about this Route 66 geocache business?

The link from team...in NM (posted above) redirects to this:

http://www.aaa-newmexico.com/getzip.asp

66 caches

try this one... if it asks 87110 will work

What punks. If I type in a zip code (even along the route) that doesn't have a geocache in it, I get a loop of redirects

can't you delete the cookies, and then re-enter the website, sans cookies, to enter a different zip for a new search?

btw -- speaking of punks with cookies, the travel discounter website (Expedia, Travelocity,etc) also play a game with the cookies...only their game is to set a cookie when you shop for an airfare, then when you come back to their website later and try to pull up the same airfare, it's now $20 higher than your last visit! The only way to get the original airfare price quote you found earlier, is to delete the cookies from your PC, and then go back to their website cookie-free, and voila! The lower original airfare quote now magically reappears!

free enterprise.....gotta luv it, eh?

(or at least keep a sense of humor about it.....and one hand on your wallet.....)

;)

flgAZ, yes, that's how my question originated.

Team Shing, thanks. That worked. But having to enter a particular zip code is stupid!

Elementary Watson, sure, that would work. But I shouldn't have to toss my cookies just to get the AAA link to work.

I stand by my original claim that the folks at AAA are punks or at least don't know how to run an ad campaign. I wrote to complain and the AAA of Washington state has no knowledge of this Route 66 geocache project. What a well oiled machine AAA is! I'm starting to rethink my membership in the auto club.

- !

aaa.com is setup such that to be helpful it takes you to your local offices webpages. Certain offers (such as Six Flags, Mass. tickets) are only available through certain area webpages that would likely make use of them. They can easily create new offers for whatever they want to put out and then assign which local area webpages will access those offers. It's a decent website setup for how AAA operates most of the time.

In this case, when you just want to browse all the different things AAA is doing, it's not so great.

Here's a direct link that should work for anyone to Cache #2 in Illinois:

http://www.aaa-calif.com/travel/promo/camp...hes/cache-2.asp

The way I see it is that they are using the term "Geocaching" and advertising on the GC.com website. Thus they should make these caches accessable to everyone regardless of the zip typed in. Here they are latching on to a huge database of people who are already interested in caching. Seems like a blatant attempt to use Geocaching for thier own ad purposes. Doesn't that go against the whole concept of Geocaching as laid down in the rules? Seems to me these qualify as "commercial" caches if they redirect you to AAA pages other than cache pages. Maybe TPTB ought to step in and tell them they need to set up a link to list all the RT66 caches regardless of zip. I sure hope Geocaching.com is not "selling out" it's own rules to make some moola. I just re-upped my membership so I have a vested interest here.

The way I see it is that they are using the term "Geocaching" and advertising on the GC.com website. Thus they should make these caches accessable to everyone regardless of the zip typed in. Here they are latching on to a huge database of people who are already interested in caching. Seems like a blatant attempt to use Geocaching for thier own ad purposes. Doesn't that go against the whole concept of Geocaching as laid down in the rules? Seems to me these qualify as "commercial" caches if they redirect you to AAA pages other than cache pages. Maybe TPTB ought to step in and tell them they need to set up a link to list all the RT66 caches regardless of zip. I sure hope Geocaching.com is not "selling out" it's own rules to make some moola. I just re-upped my membership so I have a vested interest here.

This site has nothing to do with content that other sites provide. Caches provided at other sites are not subject to any of the rules laid out for this site (in other words, for a cache to be listed *here* it can't be commercial). As I said, the AAA websites are not setup to facilitate you if they don't think you live in their areas. They want to be "helpful" and redirect you to your local office (otherwise everyone going to DisneyWorld each year would slam the Orlando AAA for discounts and travel help and so on).

But it's a website. It's dumb and doesn't actually check to see if you're lying.

Go to the California AAA site I listed above. If it asks for your zip code, put in 90210 (at least that show was good for *something*). It'll take you to the pages you need to see the geocaches. Problem solved.

We live near the Dwight, IL cache and decided to take a trip there this morning. There it was.... brand spanking new AAA cache! We were first to find! This cache was very well stocked - including a Garmin T-shirt, Hertz rental certificate, games, toys, Route 66 maps, AAA keychains, pens, toys, etc... :laughing:

Using the AAA website to find these caches is a pain.

And, you can't actually log your find on the geocaching website :laughing:

But if you live near one, it's worth checking out.

We live near the Dwight, IL cache and decided to take a trip there this morning. There it was.... brand spanking new AAA cache! We were first to find! This cache was very well stocked - including a Garmin T-shirt, Hertz rental certificate, games, toys, Route 66 maps, AAA keychains, pens, toys, etc... :laughing:

And, you can't actually log your find on the geocaching website :laughing:

:laughing: I was hoping for the FTF when I go this evening...

We live near the Dwight, IL cache and decided to take a trip there this morning.  There it was.... brand spanking new AAA cache!  We were first to find!  This cache was very well stocked - including a Garmin T-shirt, Hertz rental certificate, games, toys, Route 66 maps, AAA keychains, pens, toys, etc...  :o

And, you can't actually log your find on the geocaching website  :laughing:

:drama: I was hoping for the FTF when I go this evening...

Since there is no place to log these, I guess I'll do it here...

Cache 2: Just "Lion" Around

Coordinates:

N 41° 04.867 W 088° 26.792

Near Dwight, Illinois

icon_smile.gifMay 27 by Stunod (709 found)

Grabbed this quick easy cache with FallenFaery and Special Ed. Neat area...thanks for bringing me here. Took nothing, left nothing but a signature. TFTC!

We live near the Dwight, IL cache and decided to take a trip there this morning.  There it was.... brand spanking new AAA cache!  We were first to find!  This cache was very well stocked - including a Garmin T-shirt, Hertz rental certificate, games, toys, Route 66 maps, AAA keychains, pens, toys, etc...  :o

And, you can't actually log your find on the geocaching website  :laughing:

:drama: I was hoping for the FTF when I go this evening...

Since there is no place to log these, I guess I'll do it here...

Cache 2: Just "Lion" Around

Coordinates:

N 41° 04.867 W 088° 26.792

Near Dwight, Illinois

icon_smile.gifMay 27 by Stunod (709 found)

Grabbed this quick easy cache with FallenFaery and Special Ed. Neat area...thanks for bringing me here. Took nothing, left nothing but a signature. TFTC!

Yep.... really neat cache. Well worth the drive:

Me and FallenFaery with the cache:

aaa2.jpg

Stunod signing in... FF checking out the swag:

AA1.jpg

Hey, that's cool.

I hope they do that on more hiways. :D

Hmmmm, caches along a route, oh wait, that's another thread.

US Route 20 - the longest road in the US at approx 3300 miles would be a great second road to feature. Newport Oregon to Boston, Mass.

I know the promotion is over but, we were up in KS today and decided to check out Over the Rainbow near Riverton. Would you believe a couple Okies got to be FTF on that. I thought more folks lurked the forums and that the cachers up there would be all over it!

They only placed a virtual near us and then a traditional out past OKC (we rarely go past the City) and we wanted to find a traditional. Since we frequent the lottery in KS we decided to keep a printout of their coords in the Jeep.

I found "Bang! Bang!" near Winona AZ I was the second to find on June 14, First to find was Goodguys on June 9

I like 'Comercial" caches, some nice swag.

Several Route 66 maps, a really nice Travel journal, car bingo cards and other car playing games, AAA keychains & screwdrivers, playing cards, stress balls, ect,

Took playing cards, left frog, Diamondbacks 2005 schedual

aaa2.jpg

Edited by flgAZ

We did find 'Bang Bang' on the 9th and found a nice fresh log book to write in. We were taking a driving tour down from British Columbia, Canada and managed to do 4 of the AAA caches along Route 66. On June 8th we did 'We're at it again', 'Rock of ages', and 'Parting the water'. Two virtuals and at Rock of ages we again found an empty log book. :mad:

We really enjoyed these; and they do have some nice swag, though less one Garmin t-shirt.

It would be nice to be able to log them and see logs from others.

Not home yet, in Reno tonight and so far we have about 100 caches to log once we get home. Some beautiful countryside down here and, we have seen some interesting and creative caches as well as some great areas.

Cathy ( the untech half of Goodguys)