Extending The "thrill Of The Hunt"!

I am new to GeoCaching, but I enjoy all adventures which incorporate the "Thrill Of The Hunt" factor.

Along with GeoCaching, I alsol enjoy Metal Detecting even more.

Why do I enjoy Metal Detecting

- You never know what relies under that "Beep"

- Serious Metal Detecting requires research which ultimately boosts the thrill.

- Many of the finds have a dollar value to them (not counting the intrinsic value)

- the educational benefit is enormous. You learn so much about the history of the area you are detecting, whether it be a park, school, farm land, residentail home, etc.

Anyone else here also metal detect, relic hunt, bottle digger, etc!

sholmes

I used to enjoy metal detecting many, many years ago. So much has changed in the last 20+ years that much of the joy of the hobby (for me) was taken away. Regulations about where a person could hunt, the need to get signed permission from landowners just in case disputes arose over found items, the bad press received due to people leaving potholes where they dug instead of covering the holes again...

Wow, this sounds a LOT like something else that I enjoy, but I just can't place it right now. :)

Seriously, I would probably enjoy breaking out my old White and trowel to score some finds in some local parks, but my time is so limited lately that I haven't even had time to hunt a cache, let alone do some research on where a good place to do some detecting would be.

I'm glad that there's still some people who enjoy the hobby, and I may take it up again sometime. Heck, if I lived in South Carolina it would probably be easier to do some detecting that it would be to hunt a cache. :) Best of luck on your hunts, regardless if they're for caches in ammo cans or caches in the ground.

S-4-C

would love a metal detector, any suggestion on a good entry level detector.

Sent ya an email.

Well don't keep it a secret ;) What is a good brand & model of metal detector? What would differentiate an entry level model, and what metal detectors are considered to be the "ultimate" model (speaking in terms of consumer models)

What features & specs are important to take into consideration when looking at one?

Edited by IVxIV

I've been detecting for over 20 years and have enjoyed many hours finding coins, jewelry, and junk. I have returned class rings lost for many years and wedding rings that were lost for a few hours in the yard or water. I still have a great time whether it's finding a penny or a ring. I know there are a lot rules and regs about where to detect ect., but you have to get creative and talk to landowners and the like. This spring a school right across the street from me is being razed....it is circa 1920. Under the asphalt playgound and under the old sidewalk....wow....it's been fun to say the least. It's another fun hobby to get you outdoors and spend time with your kids. Do it quick, they grow up in a hurry. My geocaching and detecting buddy (My daughter) graduates next Sunday. ;)

Have a great weekend.

Just like the GPS debate....there are many great brands of detectors such as Whites, Fisher, Garett, Minelab, Tesoro, Bounty Hunter, ect.

You do get what you pay for but at the same time there are alot of bells and whistles on the more exspensive models that you won't use right away. I would stay away from a $100 radio shack detector. Spend a few hundred dollars and get one with discrimination, ground balance and depth readout. Digital or analog is fine but remember to dig everything at first to get used to your machine. There are lots of websites with info. I have had at least one of each brand over the years and most work well. I believe Fisher has a lifetime warranty.

Edited by SKYCOP
would love a metal detector, any suggestion on a good entry level detector.

Sent ya an email.

Well don't keep it a secret ;) What is a good brand & model of metal detector? What would differentiate an entry level model, and what metal detectors are considered to be the "ultimate" model (speaking in terms of consumer models)

What features & specs are important to take into consideration when looking at one?

Metal Detecting forums cover these questions and would be the best place to get a wider range of viewpoints/opinions.

But since you asked, in my opinion the Garrett Ace-250 is the best entry level detector. It costs around $200.

Edit: typo

Edited by BlueDeuce