Unlisted Benchmark

esquimaux

I recently found a Benchmark that I can't find any information on. The marking on the disk is 212 FMK with a year of 1974 found at N 36 36.071 W 118 04.941. I admit I'm fairly new at the whole BM thing, but I'm at a loss on what to do with this one. :)

Any help will be appreciated.

Your first step is to read the FAQ, especially the section entitled, "I found a benchmark, but it isn't in your database. Why? "

Because MOST benchmark-type disks are NOT in our database here, most of us feel it's much more efficient to look for benchmarks listed here, rather than first finding the benchmark, and then seeing if it's in the Geocaching database.

-ArtMan-

The marking on the disk is 212 FMK with a year of 1974 found at N 36 36.071 W 118 04.941.

Can't help with this specific disk. But congrats on a good find of nearby GT2151, mounted in a five-foot boulder. Even with the disk missing, it's pretty certain that's what you located.

-Paul-

Edited by PFF

This is an answer from a different topic that I found, but may be useful for anybody who looks at this one, so I'm adding it here. Maybe this could be included in the FAQ:

USGS and NGS are not the same.

NGS is in the Dept of Commerce

USGS is in the Dept of Interior

95% of the USGS marks are not in the NGS database becuase USGS never submitted the data. Why, they had more imporatant things to do like mapping the USA.

The USGS marks you do find in the NGS database are there primarely because NGS used them.

Why don't they put them there today? To much work for too little gain. Everything is in paper form in filing cabinets. Would take 10 yrs and 10 million dollars to database thousands of marks and more then likely most of them don't exist today. Also the methods used to establish their position does not meet todays standards. USGS considers many of them obsolete.