Holding Tb's Too Long

WH

I was just wondering about about the possibility of some kind of punitive actions taken against those who hold TB's too long. Perhaps there is a way to restrict their use of the website or, in the case of premium members, suspend their premium member benefits until the TB in question is released.

Just a thought.

I was just wondering about about the possibility of some kind of punitive actions taken against those who hold TB's too long. Perhaps there is a way to restrict their use of the website or, in the case of premium members, suspend their premium member benefits until the TB in question is released.

Just a thought.

As thoughts go, that one BLOWS. :D:)

There is no way to enforce something like that because people would just dump the bug off in a cache and claim they left it. :D

Someone like me however, that has misplaced a bug or two, (They're NOT lost, honest.) and doesn't wanna dump 'em to save face, would be mightily pi$$ed about that type of action. :)

Let go of your bugs. You threw it away and you were lucky to hear ANYTHING back from it.

Most of my released bugs are missing. You don't see ME here whinin' about 'em. B)

Just a thought.

That would be a great idea. I suggest we introduce a special tag. That way the punitive action could be taken automaticly. The cachers who plan hold on too long will know that they better release the bug soon. :P Just kidding ;) .

This is a game. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you don´t win as fast as you wish Sometimes you loose. If going slow or losing robs your peace of mind, you shouldn´t play. Threatening with punitive actions like restrictions or special threads (there´s a virtual pillory in the german forum) is not really productive. The continous upcoming of this topic brought me to a point where I would take a travel bug only at gun point. Now some people can whine because their bug sits in a cache for a long time. Think about it.

i would go for that also. i have one that has been in the hands of one player for three months now! i have sent him a e mail asking him to move the TB he said he would,but so far he has not. so what to do now?? i know waht i would like to do buuuttt. he also has about 20 other TBs he is holding. thanks im through griping now

ric ;)

Edited by ricstone

Generally I email TB owners if there is an issue. Recently I thought I could get one to Texas but it would take more time so I emailed the owner. They wanted the TX option. Then after waiting everthing fell apart. I moved it on but it took time.

Then there is the bug I flat out lost. I don't know what happened to it, and I hope someday it turns up but after more than two years the odds are stacked against that happening. I've appologized to the TB owner but it changes nothing about their bug being gone.

I guess I'd be in TB prision by now. More likely I'd of lost this account. Then if I wanted to play this game I'd have a new account and then if I wanted to help TB's a long I'd just never log them to prevent punative measures from happening to my account.

Just a thought.

How about we break both legs, and put them in Guantanamo Bay for seven years? Would that make you feel better?

As of this past weekend, I crossed the 2 week line on 2 TBs I'm holding. My caching partner came down with severe pnemonia, and we were not able to make it out of the house on the weekend.

There are circumstances where a cacher may not be able to place a TB. I doubt that volunteers want to devote time on deciding who has a legit reason to be holding TBs and who is just being lazy.

Unfortunately it's not active cachers that are the problem, so punishing a premium member (or just an active non-paying member) probably wouldn't help much. The times I've seen an active cacher hold on to a bug too long is usually if it got lost, stolen, or something terrible happened to them. And usually they feel quite bad about the whole thing... The problem is really with the new cachers who grab a bug and then never hunt again. No geocaching punishment would affect them, since they're no longer part of the community. Another thing that I suspect happens a lot but can't prove it is that younger children grab them thinking they're cool trades or something and the parent doesn't notice that the bug was removed.

My suggestion is that we develop some sort of advanced bio-nano technology into the tags so that after a cacher has held onto a bug for two weeks or so it turns into a real bug... something nasty and vicious. Maybe it even grows larger the longer you hold onto it. So, after the third week you start waking up with nasty bug bites all over, and after a month or so it starts gnawing on your toes and fingers. Then, if you hold on to multiple bugs they might even reproduce. I think that would get bugs moving again!

Just a thought.

I'd say that idea is a few fries short of a happy meal...... :P

Go the other way - rewards for moving TBs. THen you can restrict the reward if a TB is held too long.

I had a TB too long - I blame the winter. Sorry, but i am not going about in the woods looking for a cache under 10" of snow. Not in this lifetime. :D

Nor am i going out today, or probably all this week - rain, T-storms and more rain for the next 7 days. This is supposed to be fun, and traipsing about in the woods in the rain is not my kinda fun, sorry. :P

I love picking up TBs and pick up every one i have a chance to grab.

I dont know what the cure would be but if we were all playing basketball and I got the ball and went to the locker room with it and took it home.... you get the idea. I can see where you and many others are coming from... play the game right or dont play at all sort of thing. I have one out there too. I dunno what else one could do.. I sent him an email as well, the guy might be dead for all I know.

Just a thought.

My idea would be to stock them to a geoevent and beat them senseless with a pillow. Phyisical pain seems to be a great motivator.

I think just 'we're going to restrict your access until you figure out to unload the icon somewhere' is only going cause more misplaced TB icons....

Having someone hold it a really long time is annoying, but at least you know where it went!, instead of disappearing nevernever land.

It says who has the bug if they log it. You can click the name to email them. You can email them and say "um I think you've had my bug for 6 months, would you mind dropping it off somewhere?". :blink:

How long is too long anyway? I rather like the idea of holding onto the one I've found until I go on my holiday in about a month; where I can drop it off at a more distant cache. ;)

sarahq, the owner of that travel bug would probably be thrilled to see it move far away when you go on holiday, instead of making a small jump to another local cache. It is good etiquette, though, to tell the owner about your plans, either in your pickup note or in an e-mail, any time you expect to keep a bug for more than a few weeks. If you're excited about taking the bug on a 500 mile trip six months from now, the owner may say they'd prefer for it to keep moving.

Any sort of a "travel bug discipline system" would fail for one of two reasons:

1. If automated (apply pain to bug holder after X days), then the system would wrongfully punish those who were holding a bug in anticipation of taking it on a long trip, or to hand off to a certain person, etc.

2. If manual (apply pain IF warranted), then this requires subjective judgments to be made on a case-by-case basis. Groundspeak would need to hire an entire squad of bug police and set up a bug court with a bug judge. We would need to send Eartha to law school. There would need to be an appeals process.

2. If manual (apply pain IF warranted), then this requires subjective judgments to be made on a case-by-case basis. Groundspeak would need to hire an entire squad of bug police and set up a bug court with a bug judge. We would need to send Eartha to law school. There would need to be an appeals process.

Does this mean I have to throw away all these bricks I got for the jail? What am I going to do with all this boiling oil? And the tar stinks, good thing I didn't pluck those chickens yet!

Lep is right, it won't work. And I can't afford law school.