Off Road Caching - I Wanna Do This!

I am VERY interested in trying off road caching. I live in Northern Virginia and want to meet up with someone with a jeep and do it. I love trail riding (treading lightly) and caching at the same time sounds like a blast!

If you want a co-pilot let me know.

Im'a 37 yr old male if that helps. I don't care who I go with, male, female, young, old, purple, blue, funny, silly, please no psyco killers. LOL hmmm now I wonder if this is still a good idea!

You might also try local off road forums, and being a little more open minded. Jeeps are only one of the many capable offroad vehicles out there.

Dude. Don't you pay attention to advertising? :antenna:

Jeep. "There's only one."

That implies there is nothing else capable out there. :o

Back on topic, your suggestions for OP are right-on. Not only regional forums, but 4 X 4 groups in the local area may be a great avenue to find a 4 X 4 pal and create another convert to geocaching at the same time.

The great Cache Prophet, Jeremy, would be pleased. :santa:

You might also try local off road forums, and being a little more open minded. Jeeps are only one of the many capable offroad vehicles out there.

Dude. Don't you pay attention to advertising? :antenna:

Jeep. "There's only one."

That implies there is nothing else capable out there. :o

Back on topic, your suggestions for OP are right-on. Not only regional forums, but 4 X 4 groups in the local area may be a great avenue to find a 4 X 4 pal and create another convert to geocaching at the same time.

The great Cache Prophet, Jeremy, would be pleased. :santa:

They are trail rated to, isn't that a goverment thing? ;)

Around here many of the local offroad club members already geocache.

If you like wheeling this cache is just for you,

Buck Island is mid way on the Rubicon.

You might also try local off road forums, and being a little more open minded. Jeeps are only one of the many capable offroad vehicles out there. This is my Toyota on a cache hunt near Virginia City.

MuddyRusty.jpg

No, a Jeep is the only thing I off road in :antenna:

Thanks for the suggestion though.

You might also try local off road forums, and being a little more open minded. Jeeps are only one of the many capable offroad vehicles out there. This is my Toyota on a cache hunt near Virginia City.

MuddyRusty.jpg

Hey if I could ever afford to buy a 4X4 I think that I would rather buy a Toyota Landcruser anyday especally one that is in the year range of 1968 to 1975. You can drop a chevy 305, 307, 350 or 400 into this monster and get it to stay together for a long time.

Dont most caches get hidden off the road? HAhaha

Uhm.... I think you have something there!

I just thought there were some in off roading areas like west virginia. I would like to try it on a 4wheeler(ATV) too. That could be more fun.

Lots of off roading in WV...Not a lot of off road caches here as you would expect...Should be much more...I know there are some around Dolly Sods area and blackwater falls area...Snowshoe Mtn has a big Jeep rally here too...I havent checked, but im sure there are some caches there...

Like previous posters said....Jeeps are nice, but i have a Tacoma, and it does just as good as any other vehicle out there....Plus...Got a nice truck bed to haul things in...Plus you put some Mickey Thompsons, Detroit locker, and a 3 or 6 inch lift on a Tacoma...Unstoppable...Ive been in places jeeps have been stuck...but then again...ive been pulled out by many jeeps too...So i guess it goes both ways...

Lots of off roading in WV...Not a lot of off road caches here as you would expect...Should be much more...I know there are some around Dolly Sods area and blackwater falls area...Snowshoe Mtn has a big Jeep rally here too...I havent checked, but im sure there are some caches there...

Like previous posters said....Jeeps are nice, but i have a Tacoma, and it does just as good as any other vehicle out there....Plus...Got a nice truck bed to haul things in...Plus you put some Mickey Thompsons, Detroit locker, and a 3 or 6 inch lift on a Tacoma...Unstoppable...Ive been in places jeeps have been stuck...but then again...ive been pulled out by many jeeps too...So i guess it goes both ways...

What I like about a Jeep is, no doors and no top! Its like a go kart, and lots of fun. Don't get me wrong, off roading in other vehicles is fun, but I like to be one with the outdoors, vs being one with the front windsheild :)

Oh yeah, and holding on to a roll bar, not an oh sh*t handle hehe.

Edited by sdveirs
Im'a 37 yr old male if that helps.

That probably hurts. If you were a 23 year old female, your inbox would be filled with offers by now :) .

Yes, I'm sure your right. However wouldn't it be nice to get an invite by a woman to go jeepin/cachin?

In any case, a Jeep kicks a** - I am lookin for one to restore myself, so its nice to know others in the area that do both.

What I like about a Jeep is, no doors and no top! Its like a go kart, and lots of fun. Don't get me wrong, off roading in other vehicles is fun, but I like to be one with the outdoors, vs being one with the front windsheild :)

A bike also has no doors and no top... and if you get stuck, you can usually get yourself out rather easily... and you can go places that 4-wheeled vehicles can't (like between closely spaced trees :D )

Oh, and about the price of gas... I pass gas out for free :)B)

Happy Caching

Jeff

It is a tad low, but not as bad as the picture makes it look. It's not ready to do any rock climbing at this point.

I plan to give it another 3-inches when I have some expendable funds. I've never scraped it on anything, but then I haven't taken it into SERIOUS terrain yet.

3 more inches, skid plates, and raised vents on the axles whould make it ready for anything, though.