Dust Offs

I thought the new type of cache hunt may be fun :P

Hows this for an idea (shamelessly copied from elswhere i may add :D )

Dust Offs

A list of 10 UK caches That have not been logged for 6 months are posted here.

The first cacher to find a cache and post a note or better still retrieve or drop a TB into / from these caches can claim it as a DO (need a better set of letters please)

Sort of works like FTF in reverse.

Any mileage? any takers?

any extra points in COTM? ducks and runs for cover

NB

I can list the caches from GSAK.

I thought the new type of cache hunt may be fun :P

Hows this for an idea (shamelessly copied from elswhere i may add  :D )

Dust Offs

A list of  10 UK caches That have not been logged for 6 months are posted here.

The first cacher to find a cache and post a note or better still retrieve or drop a TB into / from these caches can claim it as a DO (need a better set of letters please)

Sounds great!

It might be good to start with the caches which had the longest time unfound first?

I'm in! (Subject to nagging Stu enough to drive us there! :D

Sarah

--

Yeah that is a good idea, I have just had one of my caches visited after 11 months had gone by. Before that it was a very busy cache. It's a good idea for any caches that deserve a visit, and haven't had any.

For example I know there is a cache in Scotland that someone has plans on visiting soon, but it hasn't had a visit in over a year, and I was that last visitor, I was also 3rd to find.

The one that was found the longest time ago was Stencil Stash (GKR5K) on 21st January 05.

That was me :o :o :laughing:

edit = WOW post 1,900 :o really need to get out more :laughing:

Or finish COTM :o

Stencil stash wont make the list

should we exclude any types of caches?

what sort of geographical spread?

would everyone like a league table ?

what about FTDO ?

is ten enough ?

yes oldest not found first

shall start assembling a provisional list tonight

Had a play with GSAK last night.

There are four UK caches not found since 2003 :antenna:

There are loads not found since begining of 2004 one was last found by us !

So the proposal is that I list 30? caches on a web page that are up for dusting off based on the last logged date.

Caches from Ireland, Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey and the UK will be used.

Only traditional and multi caches will be listed.

The cache must of had at least three previous finds

The last log must be a find or maintanace visit or note (not a DNF in other words)

When a cache is dusted off a FDO point is added to the DustOffers :santa: score and a new cache placed on the list to replace it, keeping the list at a constant ish 30 caches available.

Any caches that are not dusted off within a month are added to the old toDO list and are worth double points.

Does this sound acceptable ?

Proposed launch date with rules etc 27th May.

Any comments feedback gratefully recieved.

The cache must of had at least three previous finds

The last log must be a find or maintanace visit or note (not a DNF in other words)

Why restrict caches which haven't been found very often, or caches which are still active which received a DNF?

If they are still active then it would be good to check up on them to see if they need to be archived. Maybe give double points to someone who finds a dusty cache which had a DNF as the last log. There's a higher risk of not finding it, so peopel can take a gamble if they need the points :)

All of the other ideas sounds great! Might be just what I need to get me enthusiastic about caching again!

Sarah

(who feels sorry for caches which don't get found very often.)

Mystery caches could be included it just seemed like hard work :) to check them out individually. Stencil stash and interception might be considered unfair would welcome more feed back on including mystery caches.

3 logs was to ensure that the cache has been found more than once so shall change this to "the cache must of been found at least twice"

Double points if the last log was a DNF yep thats in

Scores

3 points for a DO

5 points for a toDO

7 points for a previously DNF DO

10 points for a previously DNF toDO

This may make people gamble on waiting for a cache to go toDO before attempting it ! may lead to sleepless nights!

Rules

Cache must of been found at least twice before

Regulars, multi's and selected mystery caches only.

Currently available DO caches shall be 30 caches ?

Currently available toDO caches shall be 50?

DO's shall become toDO after one month

All in agreement say AYE !

A couple of questions:

1. What happens when the toDO list reaches 50?

2. Why must a cache have been found at least twice before?

3. Why are virtuals excluded?

Oops that was three  :)

a to to DO list ? or a tutu list not sure :DB) see 3

To make sure it is there and there are no other issues If a FTF or two visits have not been made in over six months (for the first set of caches this is more like 15 months) i am assuming there are other issues (and b it keeps the TUTU list down see 1 :) ) i can see the sense in having no exclusions though :D

this is a good example of what i want to avoid

To keep the toDO list down and b help clear up any geo litter and recover lost TB's.

Some additions then based the link posted above (cheers Dom)

5 bonus points for replacing a log book or worn out container

5 points for conducting a rescue mission for one of the UK moderators.

20 points for succesfully adopting one of these caches

2 points for confirming the cache should be archived via a previous finder or the owner ie you get a DNF on a listed cache.

no points if you own the cache (SP take note !!!!)

Prizes of certificates will be awarded on a monthly basis and i'll see if i can get something better from our commercial department for Doffer of the year (at least a watch!)

Please note if some one finds a toDO that had a DNF at the last visit (on a rescue mission) replaces the log book and container and adopts the cache they will get all of these points ie 40 points !!!

The list is now done it will comprise initially of 40 caches in UK ireland, isle of man guernsey and jersey.

There will only be one list, cache must be unfound for over 6 months to qualify.

Points for finding, DNF's, repairing and adopting will be awarded (still working out the points) if you have previously found one of these caches you still get points just less off them :P

After the first list is published i will accept petitions for caches to be added to the list (10 spare places) in addition i hope the UK approvers will occasionally provide rescue missions where advise of issues or need a holiday cache removing etc. (can i have an official response on this please ?)

Hopefully more by the end off the week.

I would really like a cool graphic to help show a cache has been dusted off for stickers, stamps, prizes etc. any takers ???

NB got the prize sorted for the top duster (a brand new watch)

Its up and running !!!

better links soon but the list will be the same

www.markanlynn.co.uk dust offs

please note

ITS A NEW WEBSITE i am quite pleased with it as well ;):):);););):):):D

i still need a cute dust off logo BTW :blink:

I think you've made a mistake including

GC3867 The Photographer's Cache IV

As this is a hybrid/locationless from someone based in South Africa, and it's seen a lot of activity in April.

Or maybe I'm missing something B)

Any chance of including a downloadable loc file of the Dust Offs?

Yes no problem as i am using gsak to sort the list a .loc file shall be available.

Need to sort out points collation. shall probably go down the COTM route and have people email there scores at the end of the month.

Check out the FAQ section as well please.

and definitely highlight any mistakes (cheers Martybartfarst)

Nominations under the six month rule are now invited try to include the url when submitting please

You have three archived caches:

GCE607 - A Horse With No Name

GC4EC5 - Mission Impossible (UK) - The Mission

GC8485 - LBW Cache

Unfortunately the PQ's do not included archived caches so they do not get updated in GSAK. I review my list each week and any that have not been updated in the last week are generally archived, which I then manually download GPX files for and update GSAK. Would you like a GPX file of all (probably) archived UK caches? Unfortunately I do not have one for Ireland.

You have three archived caches:

GCE607 - A Horse With No Name

GC4EC5 - Mission Impossible (UK) - The Mission

GC8485 - LBW Cache

Unfortunately the PQ's do not included archived caches so they do not get updated in GSAK. I review my list each week and any that have not been updated in the last week are generally archived, which I then manually download GPX files for and update GSAK. Would you like a GPX file of all (probably) archived UK caches? Unfortunately I do not have one for Ireland.

Ahh i was :blink: going to check out if any were archived at some point ;) yes please for the PQ.

Should be easier when i put the links in to check these out.

Two of the irish ones have some unlikey cachers as the last to find, Keem cache still has a TB in it.

Think you may have missed one GCJW8P Dolls House ...placed at the same time as GCJW8R Gateway to Paradise ..which is on the list .

also , GC7CB8 Completeness although a traditional ,..needs you to find 6 others to get the co-ords ..so it is really the final part of a multi (and worth at least 25 points btw :blink: )

Great Idea though ..I'm sure it has much more benefit than COTM ... hope it takes off ....

regards FFB

Underground Overground should be archived as it has been trashed according to the logs.

GCJWXD

Looks like you cannot rely on queries alone and will need to check each cache page to check whether it should be included...

Hyperlinks to the cache pages in the table would be useful.

Underground Overground should be archived as it has been trashed according to the logs.

GCJWXD

Looks like you cannot rely on queries alone and will need to check each cache page to check whether it should be included...

Hyperlinks to the cache pages in the table would be useful.

Links on thier way soon.

This should make it easier to check each one esp as they will now be added one at a time.

we do something similar, called the lonely cache club in Ohio - more details can be found at http://www.geocacheohio.com/modules.php?na...=viewtopic&t=57 (which also has some rules you may want to adopt (or ignore :-)

:unsure: Hey! Do we allow furriners in here?

:ph34r::o

Stu

:huh: I still have my uk passport you know!

If you use gsak to generate the web page (which would be quicker) then you can also put in all sorts of links, including ones to the main geocaching webpage.

With a bit of css styling you could probably still keep the look and feel that you have at the moment too.

From a furriner... Just thought I'd chime in on your game name.

Taken from the DUSTOFF Assn web page:

The Association derives its name, DUSTOFF, from the radio call sign given to the first aeromedical helicopter evacuation unit in Vietnam, the 57th Medical Detachment (Hel Amb), which arrived in-country in 1962. The 57th initially communicated internally on any vacant frequency it could find. In Saigon, the Navy Support Activity, which controlled all call words used in call signs in South Vietnam, allowed the 57th to adopt the callsign "DUSTOFF." This callsign epitomized the 57th's medical evacuation missions. Since the countryside was then dry and dusty, helicopter pickups in the fields often blew dust, dirt, blankets, and shelter halves all over the men on the ground. Throughout Vietnam all evacuation helicopters assumed the call sign "DUSTOFF" followed be a numerical designation (the exception being the air ambulances of the 1st Calvery Division which used the call sign Medevac) and no one ever attempted to change this during the remainder of the conflict. Though other call signs regularly changed, both ground and aviation units refused to refer to these evacuation helicopters by any other callsign. By adopting "DUSTOFF", in those early stages of the Vietnam war, the legend was born. The call sign "DUSTOFF," now synonymous with life-saving aeromedical evacuation, has taken on added meaning with the application of the Association's motto: Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces.

The US Army still uses DUSTOFF callsigns for evac helos. Love your game. I'll plan to join after saving pennies for the "hop over the pond." Thanks, CRC

Note to self.

When you have asked for emails if anyone logs a cache on a bookmark list watch out for mass invasions of said area.

60 odd emails later Lundy Island is most definitely Dust free :D

hehehehehehe :D

Cheers. Question i am doing the points for June at the moment and have a slight problem with Lundy Island.

Some caches on the dust off list were found as a team so joint points on those.

On lundy island i have ally sloper as found first on its own by wadders so 3 points

Hens and chickens 5 teams found it at the same time (nb 3 of these are the various versions of plymplodders)

The photograpihic assignment all at once or was someone first or what.

Current leader with a massive 20 points dino (IRL)