London To Brighton 2005 Bike Ride

Click here if you can't be bothered to read the blurb and just want to whip out your credit card and sponsor me to kill myself

"So, do you want to do the London to Brighton Bike Ride on June 19th?"

"Nope."

"Go on, it's 53 miles"

"Nope"

"Have you got a bike?"

"Nope"

"Oh, so do you want to do the London to Brighton Bike Ride?"

_____________ < Insert davester's answer

(for a clue, spot the cycleless davester investing in a huge pile of soft cushions for June 20th)

You get the point. I am a semi-reluctant member of Team Nikwax for the forthcoming London-Brighton Bike ride. Not withstanding the fact I haven't climbed on a bike for 3 years, i did still say yes.

So can you help? Can you provide any of the following?

1) Alcohol at the start

2) A Bike.

3) Free or substantially discounted sore arse cream.

4) Alcohol at 2 mile intervals en route.

5) A quad bike with a rope to tow me up the hills.

6) One of those ring shaped cushions in super soft variety.

7) Alcohol at the end

8) Sponsorship in aid of The British Heart Foundation

I did it in 2002 (and raised £184) and can recommend a really soft saddle, a helmet, gloves, first aid kit (seriously) and that you take your time. I did the middle section way too fast and paid or it BIG TIME towards the end. Ditchling Beacon was not a happy place that day (cache near the car park at the top!)

Good luck

SP

Edited: Oh yes, it was Ditchling Beacon, not Brightling. It's still all a blur, frankly. Here's a link to my L2B web pages: Link

Edited by Simply Paul

Good luck, it always has a great atmosphere, have done it a couple of times myself and you really MUST wear a helmet, witnessed a couple of horrendous pile ups and some nasty injuries. Best fish & chips ever on the beach afterwards - can thoroughly recommend a gel saddle, it was like cycling on an armchair!! Lowest point for our team was been overtaken by elderly lady with basket on front of her bike with small dog and flask in it!!!

hang on, i'm missing something here?

This London as in the capital?

And brighton as in the place on the south coast a mere 50odd miles from aforementioned capital?

So I presume you're doing the return trip and starting in the morning? I'll sponsor you for whatever you're doing in the afternoon.

OK, I'm really missing something.

Judging by you sponsor page, you seem to be a super-fit triathlete, with a lightweight bike and tri-bars.

A quick estimate, I would expect you to do the 53 miles which IIRC is pretty flat with a small height loss, in a shade under 2 hours. Return the same.

SP's a wimp!

Did it in '98 with none of those things in slightly less than 4 hours.

Was rocket fuelled with a couple of bananas and Jelly babies.

The trick though is to get an early start before 6am.

Edited by 2202
OK, I'm really missing something.

Judging by you sponsor page, you seem to be a super-fit triathlete, with a lightweight bike and tri-bars.

A quick estimate, I would expect you to do the 53 miles which IIRC is pretty flat with a small height loss, in a shade under 2 hours. Return the same.

Oh yeah. It was all lies. In fact I was considering dropping in a lap of the M25 before starting the race but the speed limit through the Heathrow roadworks would just frustrate me.

B)