San Diego Banter

TrailGators

e0804d9f-5c8a-4767-b7c3-f9853efadd49.jpg

Well, I tried to do something artistic here. I had a new camera and did not know how to do a fill flash like I know I should have done when taking a photo into the sun. Maybe it could be adjusted, but I did not go there. Hope you enjoy it!

Awesome pic. But it is missing that little flash of green.

Well, I tried to do something artistic here. I had a new camera and did not know how to do a fill flash like I know I should have done when taking a photo into the sun. Maybe it could be adjusted, but I did not go there. Hope you enjoy it!

I've yet to see that. I guess I need to drink more beer before the sun sets.... :santa: Edited by TrailGators

I've yet to see that. I guess I need to drink more beer before the sun sets.... :santa:

Sheesh, here we go again with that green-flash myth. You can experience the green-flash deal with a blank piece of white paper that has a bright red-orange spot marked on it. Fixate on the orange spot for a while and then flip the paper over and stare at the blank side; omigosh, it's a green flash. Use different spot colors and experience other flash colors.

Color persistence of your eyeball and green-flash green being the complementary color for a setting sun is what the myth is all about.

Same thing happens with the red-orange of a setting sun but staring at the sun is a really dumb thing to do. My guess is that the beach-alcohol ban will cut down on sun staring and so put an end to a few of the green-flash claims.

Now, about space-aliens, ghosts, angels, and witches .... Yeah, I know, myths and such are more fun for "chosen" peple.

Edited by SD Rowdies

BARBOSSA: Ever gazed upon the green flash, Mr. Gibbs ?

GIBBS: I reckon I’ve seen my share. (To Will) Happens on rare occasions, at the last glimpse of sunset, a green flash shoots up into the sky. Some go their whole lives and never see it. Some claim to have seen it. Some say …

PINTEL: … it signals when a soul comes back to this world from the dead!

(Gibbs glares at Pintel for interrupting his story)

PINTEL: Sorry.

pirates.jpg

7b1fd072-cd5c-40ef-9e1f-a122da2e96f3.jpg

Page __ of SD Banter Thread, Who dat?

Napoleon Dynamite?

:ph34r: Nope but they do kind of look alike....

a856828c-f63b-4ffa-8f78-07aa0effbb1d.jpg

SD Banter Page 17, Gecko Dad the salmon-fisherman for cash.

I started at the wrong end of the Banter pages so had a great

tour back down memory lane. Can't believe all the stuff we've

done and said.

Couldn't find a shot of the herbal breast enhancers but I'll keep

on looking. :ph34r:

Edited by SD Rowdies

7b1fd072-cd5c-40ef-9e1f-a122da2e96f3.jpg

Page __ of SD Banter Thread, Who dat?

Napoleon Dynamite?

:D Nope but they do kind of look alike....

a856828c-f63b-4ffa-8f78-07aa0effbb1d.jpg

SD Banter Page 17, Gecko Dad the salmon-fisherman for cash.

I started at the wrong end of the Banter pages so had a great

tour back down memory lane. Can't believe all the stuff we've

done and said.

Couldn't find a shot of the herbal breast enhancers but I'll keep

on looking. :ph34r:

Correct and that is one nice Steelhead that Don caught.

The SD Banter thread has been fun and there are some great photos on it. :ph34r:

I'd like to see a photo what you mentioned! B)

7c76b669-ce57-43c1-ac97-2e50d572aebf.jpg8bef4980-f698-4d06-b932-7ddc67756ce3.jpg
Cool effect on the steelhead photo!

I see that in the second photo, Don has shifted from quality to quantity since 1972. :ph34r: However, I do have to admit that 12" trout are really fun to catch with an ultralight! :ph34r:

I do believe that there's one more fishing photo of Don on one of the San Diego threads.

Edited by SD Rowdies
7c76b669-ce57-43c1-ac97-2e50d572aebf.jpg8bef4980-f698-4d06-b932-7ddc67756ce3.jpg

I see that in the second photo, Don has shifted from quality to quantity since 1972. B) However, I do have to admit that 12" trout are really fun to catch with an ultralight! :ph34r:

I do believe that there's one more fishing photo of Don on one of the San Diego threads.

I forgot about that one! :ph34r:B):D

ed8498cd-bb91-4e83-ae64-07e6079ae17a.jpg

I see that in the second photo, Don has shifted from quality to quantity since 1972. :) However, I do have to admit that 12" trout are really fun to catch with an ultralight! B)

I forgot about that one! :):):)

ed8498cd-bb91-4e83-ae64-07e6079ae17a.jpg

The%20Big%20One.JPG

I thought I would share my story of the big one that didn't get away!! The bait was bigger than the catch.

I see that in the second photo, Don has shifted from quality to quantity since 1972. :) However, I do have to admit that 12" trout are really fun to catch with an ultralight! :)

Fun to see those old photos pop back up on the banter thread. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Patrick.

BTW, those Sierra goldens ranged from 13 1/2" to over 15". Never had such a banner day with that beautiful species as on that stormy afternoon at the base of Goethe glacier. I was supplementing the fare for a Sierra Club National Outing. In later years, I shifted to primarily catch & release.

-GD

I see that in the second photo, Don has shifted from quality to quantity since 1972. :) However, I do have to admit that 12" trout are really fun to catch with an ultralight! :)

Fun to see those old photos pop back up on the banter thread. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Patrick.

BTW, those Sierra goldens ranged from 13 1/2" to over 15". Never had such a banner day with that beautiful species as on that stormy afternoon at the base of Goethe glacier. I was supplementing the fare for a Sierra Club National Outing. In later years, I shifted to primarily catch & release.

-GD

I wish I had some photos to share Don, but we never took cameras along flyfishing. We used to catch mainly brookies and browns in NW Wisconsin. It was a blast. We also did catch and release and used barbless hooks. I used a 7.5' flyrod with 5 weight line. My favorite fly was a size 16 Adams. I also used to tie my own flies. I only tied simple flies like Caddis flies and Crickets. The long winters gave us plenty of time to tie up enough flies for the next season. We used to see loads of wildlife while outdoors. We commonly saw otters, martens and beavers. We even saw an occassional mink. Ironically the only animal I never saw in Wisconsin was a badger. Edited by TrailGators

-GD

I wish I had some photos to share Don, but we never took cameras along flyfishing. We used to catch mainly brookies and browns in NW Wisconsin. It was a blast. We also did catch and release and used barbless hooks. I used a 7.5' flyrod with 5 weight line. My favorite fly was a size 16 Adams. I also used to tie my own flies. I only tied simple flies like Caddis flies and Crickets. The long winters gave us plenty of time to tie up enough flies for the next season. We used to see loads of wildlife while outdoors. We commonly saw otters, martens and beavers. We even saw an occassional mink. Ironically the only animal I never saw in Wisconsin was a badger.

I use two primary rods, a 9 foot, 5 weight and a circa 1950 bamboo 7 1/2 foot, 4 weight (my backpack rod of choice). The bamboo rod was handmade by the father of my long-time Sierra Club National Outings co-leader, now retired to Tom's Place north of Bishop. Even the smallest Brookie is a kick on it.

-GD

P.S. Only badger I have met face-to-face in the wild was in the desert (New York Mountains southwest off State Line). I wasn't fishing though. :)

Fishing for Goldens with the 4-weight on Black Bear Lake, High Sierra

Don%20Flyfishing%20at%20Black%20Bear%20Lake%202001.jpg

I use two primary rods, a 9 foot, 5 weight and a circa 1950 bamboo 7 1/2 foot, 4 weight (my backpack rod of choice). The bamboo rod was handmade by the father of my long-time Sierra Club National Outings co-leader, now retired to Tom's Place north of Bishop. Even the smallest Brookie is a kick on it.

-GD

P.S. Only badger I have met face-to-face in the wild was in the desert (New York Mountains southwest off State Line). I wasn't fishing though. :)

Fishing for Goldens with the 4-weight on Black Bear Lake, High Sierra

Don%20Flyfishing%20at%20Black%20Bear%20Lake%202001.jpg

Great photo Don! Bamboo is the ultimate! You are fortunate to have one. A friend of mine used to make bamboo rods. It took him well over 100 hours per rod. I have a fiberglass 9 foot, 7 weight that I made for steelhead fishing on the Brule. What kind of flies worked best on Black Bear lake?
Changing subject a little...

After you climb a mountain to find a cache - here's a quick and cool(!) way to get down. Several videos on YouTube but this one is of better quality. http://www.biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=4262

I bet the hike up was a bear though! :D
Those guys are nuts..

Can you imagine driving on that road and suddenly one of those guys come flying by!!! :)

It would be cool to watch! :(

Wednesday, 12/26/2007

I finally got my complete act together this morning to capture a decent photo sequence of the double sunrise near Kumeyaay Solstice Sunrise. It took six pre-dawn trips up Cowles on successive mornings to finally get what I was after. There are many atmospheric, astronomical, and photographic variables involved. I've been on this quest annually since 1996 and needed position data from yesterday's shoot and some recorded data from 1997 and 2001 events to estimate today's viewing position this many days after true solstice (turned out to be about 48 yards south of the turnaround point, a delta of 20 yards from yesterday).

You can see the results by opening the Visit the Gallery link.

For those interested, the camera is an Olympus SP-550UZ (non-SLR digital). Images were shot in Aperture priority mode, SHQ 3072x2304, manual focus, ISO 50, f8, shutter speed 1/1250 for frames 1-3, 1/1600 for frames 4-6, 1/800 for Frame 7. The limit of this model is f8 or I would have gone higher on the f number.

-GD

Wednesday, 12/26/2007

I finally got my complete act together this morning to capture a decent photo sequence of the double sunrise near Kumeyaay Solstice Sunrise. It took six pre-dawn trips up Cowles on successive mornings to finally get what I was after. There are many atmospheric, astronomical, and photographic variables involved. I've been on this quest annually since 1996 and needed position data from yesterday's shoot and some recorded data from 1997 and 2001 events to estimate today's viewing position this many days after true solstice (turned out to be about 48 yards south of the turnaround point, a delta of 20 yards from yesterday).

You can see the results by opening the Visit the Gallery link.

For those interested, the camera is an Olympus SP-550UZ (non-SLR digital). Images were shot in Aperture priority mode, SHQ 3072x2304, manual focus, ISO 50, f8, shutter speed 1/1250 for frames 1-3, 1/1600 for frames 4-6, 1/800 for Frame 7. The limit of this model is f8 or I would have gone higher on the f number.

-GD

Great photos Don! I'll have to make the trek up there next year! :back:

I was playing with my new Canon SD750 today and discovered that it comes with a cool feature called "Color Swap." So I tried it out on my dog, Lacey. She didn't seem to mind... :rolleyes:

d2a0c9d0-16e1-4e35-ada2-2b35d22bfea3.jpg

"What is Dad up to?"

0aea09d0-e708-4792-b40e-2722652540e6.jpg

"It's not easy being green...."

2d512361-32aa-45d5-ad8a-f6cc6857157a.jpg

"Enough of this, it's time for a nap...."

I'm sure that Photoshop can do this better. Even though Lacey is mostly white/cream colored there was enough of a difference so that the camera didn't replace parts of her fur with the new color. Anyhow, this camera should allow me to take some entertaining photos in 2008! :):(

I was playing with my new Canon SD750 today and discovered that it comes with a cool feature called "Color Swap." So I tried it out on my dog, Lacey. She didn't seem to mind... :rolleyes:

d2a0c9d0-16e1-4e35-ada2-2b35d22bfea3.jpg

"What is Dad up to?"

0aea09d0-e708-4792-b40e-2722652540e6.jpg

"It's not easy being green...."

2d512361-32aa-45d5-ad8a-f6cc6857157a.jpg

"Enough of this, it's time for a nap...."

I'm sure that Photoshop can do this better. Even though Lacey is mostly white/cream colored there was enough of a difference so that the camera didn't replace parts of her fur with the new color. Anyhow, this camera should allow me to take some entertaining photos in 2008! :(:)

Uh-oh, Geodawgs look out, here comes that Trailgators guy with his new-fangled camera.

Congratulations on having a new camera Pat.

Harmon