San Diego Banter

TrailGators

Congratulations,

Your adventure definitely qualifies as a grand day out with a couple of silver-linings glittering behind the dark cloud of suspicion that your sweet bride now has you under.

In the first place you inadvertently established that you need a 4WD vehicle to avoid all that rough wear and tear on your Saturn SUV. Don't bring this need up right away with your wife, you know, give her a few months to cool down. For now just stick with "Yes dear."

Secondly it should be really easy to lay the blame for your offroad troubles onto Robyn because she encouraged you to undertake the eventful drive in the first place. By any chance was Robyn having a cocktail or a glass of wine or two when she encourgaged you to go drive-about?

Ain't nothin' better than seein' somebody else in trouble with their sweet bride.

Thanks for the entertainment,

Harmon

What? No recommendation that Don's wife get a second job so that they can afford the new 4X4, Harmon? :laughing::mad:

I have been lurking in the forums for some time and I have met quite a few of you at events. Here are my adventures from yesterday.

So after talking with Robyn of Team Reid at the "2nd Annual Christmas Lights Geo-Walk", my wife says it might be fun to geocache along the Bradshaw Trail when the kids are all home for Christmas. We have a Saturn Vue SUV so it should not be a problem. We decided to go from east to wast and count down the caches as we find them. We get up at 6:00 AM and and are on the road by 7:00 driving to Blythe. We log the first cache, #25, at 11:42 AM and we are off and running.

We hit the first snag when I was driving and the navigator was having problems with the GPS. We drive right by LOST and in the process drive right by #21. We are only .15 miles past #21 and I want to turn around and get it. My wife is having none of that. I'm thinking the whole purpose of this trip is to find the Bradshaw Trail caches and I am willing to let LOST go (I didn't know at the time it was a possible FTF) but I want #21. She finally concedes to one "go back", but if we pass another, that is it. Anyone who has heard her talk about my incident in the Geo Metro convertible, knows she is serious and means that is it for geocaching this trip, not that one missed cache.

We go back and get #21 and find the rest of the caches without incident. We skipped a couple of non-Bradshaw caches because I don't want to press my luck and get put on geocaching restriction again. The boys have fun climbing on the rocks and my daughter takes pictures all along the way. We found #1 at 5:10 PM and start for home. It has been a fun day.

The directions from Google say to turn right on Coachella Canal Road and go 6.8 miles to Das Palmas Spring Road. It is DARK and somehow both the driver and the navigator (I was neither) miss the turn and continue on Coachella Canal Road. We know we have been on this road for too long but don't see any other choice but to continue when we hear a familiar rumble from the left side of the SUV. We have a flat tire. I change the tire and put on the temporary spare, you know, the half a tire, that comes standard now and I take over driving.

We drive on Coachella Canal Road, on the temporary spare, for another 4 miles until we hit pavement just south of Mecca. We make it to Indio and all the tire places are closed. We are still 130 miles from home. We get something to eat and continue on home to San Diego, hoping the temporary spare lasts until we get there.

At 10:00 PM we pull into the driveway and we made it. It was a LONG day. The end result: I can't take any of my vehicles off the paved road any more, but I didn't get placed on geocaching restriction and ...

Dinner for ticked-off wife: $50

Two new tires for the Vue: $150

Logging 27 caches in one day and going over 250: PRICELESS

For most things in life there are credit cards, for everything else, there's GEOCACHING.

Funny story! Next time you make out out that way you'll have to check out Ladder Canyon near Mecca! It is very cool! :o
If anybodys board and looking for something to do, Ya-no caching only goes so far. :D

I got a couple of coins hidden in my kitchen remodel. :anibad::D:ph34r::mad::mad:;););):P:)

I'm not "bored." :D I'm watching the Chargers stomp on some Cardinals right now! :D

I thought BaseBall was over. :D

They are playing the Arizona Cardinals not the St. Louis Cardinals! :D

Why is Rivers out?

If anybodys board and looking for something to do, Ya-no caching only goes so far. :D

I got a couple of coins hidden in my kitchen remodel. :anibad::D:ph34r::mad::mad:;););):P:)

I'm not "bored." :D I'm watching the Chargers stomp on some Cardinals right now! :D

Why is Rivers out?

They had a big lead so they pulled him. They want to keep him healthy for the playoffs.

Why is Rivers out?

They had a big lead so they pulled him. They want to keep him healthy for the playoffs.

They are letting that big lead go.

Why is Rivers out?

They are still up by 10. Turner is in for LT also. They can bring those guys back in later if they need to....

Why is Rivers out?

They are still up by 10. Turner is in for LT also. They can bring those guys back in later if they need to....

Plus Rivers twisted his ankle.

Why is Rivers out?

That was weird...I only clicked once and got two posts.

Edited by Toby's Gang

Why is Rivers out?

Baltimore ain't going to lose, so I hope the Chargers don't blow the lead.

Why is Rivers out?

That was weird...I only clicked once and got two posts.

The Chargers always make every game exciting! :D

Why is Rivers out?

It's time to run the ball to chew up the clock! :D Edited by TrailGators

Why is Rivers out?

It's time to run the ball to chew up the clock! :D

Home field advantage! Woo Hoo!!!!

Why is Rivers out?

It's time to run the ball to chew up the clock! :D

Looking like KC or New England in the second round.

I think the Chargers will play the lowest seed left after next week's games. I'm not sure who that will be yet....

True - What I was getting at is that it most likely is not going to be Denver.

Denver is close to scoring.....

I'm shocked. :anibad:

I think the Chargers will play the lowest seed left after next week's games. I'm not sure who that will be yet....

Right now the Chargers could theoretically play any team in two weeks except the Colts or Ravens. I wouldn't be surprised to see them play the Jets, who could easily upset the Colts!

Right now the Chargers could theoretically play any team in two weeks except the Colts or Ravens. I wouldn't be surprised to see them play the Jets, who could easily upset the Colts!

It would be nice to see the Chargers play the Broncos but they still need to win in OT to have a chance.

It would be nice to see the Chargers play the Broncos but they still need to win in OT to have a chance.

Then the Broncos would have to beat New England and the Colts would have to beat the Jets for that to happen. But the Broncos just punted away their first opportunity in OT.........

Then the Broncos would have to beat New England and the Colts would have to beat the Jets for that to happen. But the Broncos just punted away their first opportunity in OT.........

And now they punt.

And now they punt.

....and Denver punts again. BTW if Denver ties today they will be the #5 seed....

Edit: Now Denver will need to block a FG....

Edited by TrailGators

And now they punt.

....and Denver punts again. BTW if Denver ties today they will be the #5 seed....

Edit: Now Denver will need to block a FG....

Bye Bye Broncos.

I found a very cool show on Discovery Channel called Man vs. Wild. The show is chalked full of great survival tips! You never know when a survival tip could really come in handy! :lol:

Here is a little blurb about the show:

Bear Grylls is a seasoned adventurer who served with the Special Air Service, a special forces unit of the British army, where he was trained as a survival expert. His experiences include climbing Mount Everest, crossing the freezing North Atlantic Ocean in a small, open boat and climbing a Himalayan peak described by Sir Edmund Hillary as 'unclimbable'. He has been places and done things that would defeat most normal people. But now, he is up against something completely different.

In each episode of Man vs. Wild Bear strands himself in popular wilderness destinations where tourists often find themselves lost or in danger. As he finds his way back to civilization, he demonstrates local survival techniques, including escaping quicksand in the Moab Desert, navigating dangerous jungle rivers in Costa Rica, crossing ravines in the Alps and surviving sharks off Hawaii.

Edited by TrailGators
I found a very cool show on Discovery Channel called Man vs. Wild. The show is chalked full of great survival tips! You never know when a survival tip could really come in handy! :lol:

Bear Grylls is a seasoned adventurer who served with the Special Air Service, a special forces unit of the British army, where he was trained as a survival expert. His experiences include climbing Mount Everest, crossing the freezing North Atlantic Ocean in a small, open boat and climbing a Himalayan peak described by Sir Edmund Hillary as 'unclimbable'. He has been places and done things that would defeat most normal people. But now, he is up against something completely different.

In each episode of Man vs. Wild Bear strands himself in popular wilderness destinations where tourists often find themselves lost or in danger. As he finds his way back to civilization, he demonstrates local survival techniques, including escaping quicksand in the Moab Desert, navigating dangerous jungle rivers in Costa Rica, crossing ravines in the Alps and surviving sharks off Hawaii.

Yeah, but how many caches does he log on his way back to civilization??? :lol:

(Seriously, though, thanks for the heads up on the show)

Yeah, but how many caches does he log on his way back to civilization??? ;)

So do they do Segments on urban places too? Such as New York City....really......I think I'd rather be in a jungle then some parts of our large cities. :lol:

I'm actually in New York right now....(well the airport) heading home today. (finally) I ventured out by myself in the city last night....a couple of my close friends about had a coronary.....even the limo driver that doesn't know me gave me grief. It was fun though. :lol: You'll all be disappointed in me... No caching...just shopping. :lol:

Yeah, but how many caches does he log on his way back to civilization??? :lol:

He was in Moab in the episode I watched last night. But he was there in the summer when it was 110-120 degrees. I didn't know that Moab was the northern most desert in the US. A helicopter dropped him off on the top of one of those huge mesas. After he climbed off the mesa, he had to make his way through some amazing slot canyons. He then made straw from some plant and found some clean water leaking out of a rock to drink. He ate some ravens eggs by frying them on a flat desert rock. Then he finally found the Colorado river. When he got in the river, he got stuck in some quicksand, so he showed how to get out of the quicksand. It looked really narly. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure that he didn't pass by any geocaches..... :lol: Edited by TrailGators

The useful tips would come from the hundred people that make up his video-production team. When you watch the show keep in mind what the cameraman, the audio man, the gaffer, the best-boy, the script girl, the buffet servers, the director, and so on are going through. Reality my foot.

The useful tips would come from the hundred people that make up his video-production team. When you watch the show keep in mind what the cameraman, the audio man, the gaffer, the best-boy, the script girl, the buffet servers, the director, and so on are going through. Reality my foot.

gaffer? Did they do some fishing on the adventure too? :lol:

I think you mean higher up than your foot... :lol: I thought the same thing too but everytime he hits a dangerous/PITA obstacle he always puts himslef in the middle of it. Camera crew or not when you swim through Arctic freezing water and then crawl out, take off all your clothes and start a fire to warm up that is something that most would not want to do! The guy also finds and eats all kinds of stuff that most people would never dream of eating. I do admit that if the guy got in real trouble that help is there. However, I do think this guy could honestly fend far better than the average Joe in the widerness. He does have a pretty impressive resume! :lol: Edited by TrailGators

gaffer? Did they do some fishing on the adventure too? :lol:

He has fished with a sharp stick in a couple of shows. The fun part is watching him eat the live salmon or the trout (skin and all) like corn on the cob! :lol:

I think you mean higher up than your foot... :lol: I thought the same thing too but everytime he hits a dangerous obstacle he puts himsleh in the middle of it. Camera crew or not when you swim through Arctic freezing water and then crawl out, take off all your clothes and start a fire to warm up that is something that most would not want to do! The guy also finds and eats all kinds of stuff that most people would never dream of eating. I do admit that if the guy got in real trouble that help is there. However, I do think this guy could honestly fend far better than the average Joe in the widerness. He does have a pretty impressive resume! :lol:

But does he know how to cache? :lol:

I found a very cool show on Discovery Channel called Man vs. Wild. The show is chalked full of great survival tips! You never know when a survival tip could really come in handy! ;)

I think you mean higher up than your foot... :lol: I thought the same thing too but everytime he hits a dangerous obstacle he puts himsleh in the middle of it. Camera crew or not when you swim through Arctic freezing water and then crawl out, take off all your clothes and start a fire to warm up that is something that most would not want to do! The guy also finds and eats all kinds of stuff that most people would never dream of eating. I do admit that if the guy got in real trouble that help is there. However, I do think this guy could honestly fend far better than the average Joe in the widerness. He does have a pretty impressive resume! :lol:

But does he know how to cache? :lol:

There is a cache on Everest, but I don't know his caching name... :lol: