San Diego Banter

TrailGators

How do I resize the background layer to fit the new layer?

First select the layer that you want to resize by clicking the layer name on the Layer Pallet.

From the menu bar choose "Edit/Free Transform."

You'll see a resizing rectangle that outlines the layer image and it will have corner and side handles.

To keep from distorting the aspect ratio of the image as you resize it press and hold "Alt/Shift" while dragging any one of the corner resizing handles.

When you are satisfied with the transformation then the click the big checkmark that's on the right end of the tool Option Bar to apply the transformation.

Keep learning about layering because it's the heart of image compositing.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

To keep from distorting the aspect ratio of the image as you resize it press and hold "Alt/Shift" while dragging any one of the corner resizing handles.

I tried to resize but the "Alt/Shift" still distorts... enlarges proportionality

This is by no means the quality of work I see you guys doing. Don't laugh you were here once!

Original 1

b1c7e285-0dab-4c4a-8599-904b8bb05979.jpg

Original 2

3f2b09a5-9691-4526-bd7e-0942a08ad577.jpg

What I want to do.

4421ecc1-34ee-4f62-9ef8-c09dc177acfb.jpg

BTW Otto is a hard core Sox fan!

I tried to resize but the "Alt/Shift" still distorts... enlarges proportionality

This is by no means the quality of work I see you guys doing. Don't laugh you were here once!

Original 1

b1c7e285-0dab-4c4a-8599-904b8bb05979.jpg

Original 2

3f2b09a5-9691-4526-bd7e-0942a08ad577.jpg

What I want to do.

4421ecc1-34ee-4f62-9ef8-c09dc177acfb.jpg

BTW Otto is a hard core Sox fan!

Yep, hold Alt+Shift down while dragging the handle.

Good to see you off and running with Photoshop. Just like Geocaching the first few are the most fun of all.

Harmon

I must be doing something wrong. I can not get the ball completely in the picture. I can move the layer down and fit the ball but it chops off the lower protion of the picture. No matter how I try the "Free Transform" and "Alt/Shift" it distorts the picture. The resizing rectangle shows up larger but it don't change the background size of the picture. Next noob question how do I do a screen shot in Photoshop?

Again thanks for any help,

Jake

I must be doing something wrong. I can not get the ball completely in the picture. I can move the layer down and fit the ball but it chops off the lower protion of the picture. No matter how I try the "Free Transform" and "Alt/Shift" it distorts the picture. The resizing rectangle shows up larger but it don't change the background size of the picture. Next noob question how do I do a screen shot in Photoshop?

Again thanks for any help,

Jake

Do you have the ball layer selected on the Layer Palett when you use Ctrl+T?

39c8003e-e8cb-4290-b991-cd33c2c9df49.jpg

For Photoshop users here's a few facts about the YMS #29 graphic design.

* The Barbie Doll concept came from a remark made by Splashette.

* Several emails were exchanged with Barbara BRA to gather background information.

* Three hours went into finding graphic images. The best were from amazon.com.

* The final working directory contains sixty three images, many not used.

* The Layer Pallet has eighteen layers counting the usual inactive background layer.

* The resulting .psd master file is 5,210 KB in size.

* The layout was produced in about eight hours.

* The final layout was completed at one-thirty in the morning.

* The most challenging part was the tent with Lori in the opening. It started out with a child there.

* I enjoyed working on the layout and learned much about Blonds Run Amuck. Oboy, did I ever.

My pleasure,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
That is just wrong! :o

O yeah, then what about this?

25e9298c-ccb0-4be3-a409-d02db634d1c3.jpg

Don't encourage me, just wait until you see the gnarly stuff.

Hey, is that Christina Ape-ilara?

Ah ha! That's who it is!! :( She's singing her new hit song: "I want a banana!" :D

That's a truly great edit from 1000.com. Maybe I'll give this technique some attention if it's that interesting to a few of you. Let me see, who should be the first victim?

That is just wrong! :D

O yeah, then what about this?

25e9298c-ccb0-4be3-a409-d02db634d1c3.jpg

Don't encourage me, just wait until you see the gnarly stuff.

Hey, is that Christina Ape-ilara?

Ah ha! That's who it is!! :D She's singing her new hit song: "I want a banana!" :(

That's a truly great edit from 1000.com. Maybe I'll give this technique some attention if it's that interesting to a few of you. Let me see, who should be the first victim?

It would be cool if you could put my face on a Gator! :o

gator%204988sem.jpg

We should explore this! It would be pretty fun! :(

Seems like animals with smooth faces work better!

So short-haired dogs, horses, pigs, lizards would all work well!

Edited by TrailGators

Coming soon to a hilltop near you...

You know the drill. Honk if you know it.

Beep! Beep!

Grumble Grumble... er I mean Beep Beep.

Now I know where I need to go on Sunday.... Wasn't this the other way around just yesterday? :laughing:

One good turn...well, you know the rest.

So much for having that area all cleared out.... :laughing:

I think I'll head out there with a Gatorade! :laughing:

Help me! I'm being held captive at Kitt Peak Observatory.

There's lots and lots of marvelous telescopes but absolutely no Geocaches.

I'm being forced to observe things I can barely see ... from sunset 'til sunrise.

It's just awful.

Harmon

I was wondering what happened to you......sounds like fun!

Looking forward to seeing some Banter material! :)

Edited by TrailGators
Who can name this song? :rolleyes:

Well it's 40 below and I don't give a ****

Got a heater in my truck and I'm off to the rodeo

And it's Alabama left Alabama right

I don't know.

Anyway, that sounds like country music and I'm not that kind of a guy. :laughing:

You'd like this one if you heard the rest of it! :(

I had it stuck in my head all day today...

It seems to go very well with work! :blink:

Edited by TrailGators

Come on ya****** dummy get your right step right

Get off the stage ya *** **** goof ya know

Piss me off ya ******' jerk get on my nerves

Well here comes Johnny with his ****** in his hand

He's a one ball man and he's off to the rodeo

And it's Alabama left and Alabama right

Come on ya ******' dummy get your right step right

Get off the stage *** **** goof ya know

. . . . .

Edited for obvious reasons.

Come on ya****** dummy get your right step right

Get off the stage ya *** **** goof ya know

Well here comes Johnny with his ****** in his hand

He's a one ball man and he's off to the rodeo

And it's Alabama left and Alabama right

Come on ya ******' dummy get your right step right

Get off the stage *** **** goof ya know

. . . . .

Edited for obvious reasons.

:D:D:huh::huh:

This is the line that goes through my head during some meetings at work:

Piss me off ya ******' jerk get on my nerves! :P

74bdc732-560d-4f1e-81a0-c3b9c6df0bff.jpg

Edited by TrailGators

Help me! I'm being held captive at Kitt Peak Observatory.

There's lots and lots of marvelous telescopes but absolutely no Geocaches.

I'm being forced to observe things I can barely see ... from sunset 'til sunrise.

It's just awful.

Harmon

Heck, if I'da known you were out at Kitt Peak, I mighta drove down the road a piece to say hello.

Heck, if I'da known you were out at Kitt Peak, I mighta drove down the road a piece to say hello.

I gave it a lot of thought about hooking up with you but I was obligated for a couple of things that had me pinned down.

Besides the Kitt Peak activities I had to support Sandy and her three sisters and three brothers that were in town from all over for their mom's ninetieth birthday bash in Green Valley, AZ. Huge gang of family many of which live in Tucson and Sierra Vista, and Connecticut, and Oregon.

Still I was able to work in fourteen caches that were in and around Green Valley. The weather Gods were fairly good to us at Kitt Peak National Observatory but thin clouds shut observations down at about three in the morning. Anxious to survey our CD-R images and see what we have that's useful.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

I gave it a lot of thought about hooking up with you but I was obligated for a couple of things that had me pinned down.

Besides the Kitt Peak activities I had to support Sandy and her three sisters and three brothers that were in town from all over for their mom's ninetieth birthday bash in Green Valley, AZ. Huge gang of family many of which live in Tucson and Sierra Vista, and Connecticut, and Oregon.

Still I was able to work in fourteen caches that were in and around Green Valley. The weather Gods were fairly good to us at Kitt Peak National Observatory but thin clouds shut observations down at about three in the morning. Anxious to survey our CD-R images and see what we have that's useful.

Harmon

Yes Harmon, please post some of those photos I'd like to see them! :P

Pat,

I'll post some of our own images as soon as I have time to do some camera-raw work with Photoshop. In the meantime check the super image gallery on the KPNO site at the link below.

Had a grand time. The wee-hour temperatures with wind-chill was down to 2 F. Very busy on that mountain except that most of the domes started closing at about three a.m. due to high thin cloud stream crossing in from Mexico.

Its nice to be reminded once in a while that we are on a huge ball of molten iron that is being tugged around the Milky Way Galaxy by our sun at about 650,000 mph. Shazam!

Kitt Peak National Observatory

Edited by SD Rowdies

Pat,

I'll post some of our own images as soon as I have time to do some camera-raw work with Photoshop. In the meantime check the super image gallery on the KPNO site at the link below.

Had a grand time. The wee-hour temperatures with wind-chill was down to 2 F. Very busy on that mountain except that most of the domes started closing at about three a.m. due to high thin cloud stream crossing in from Mexico.

Wow! Those shots are amazing! Did they let you look through the telescope? They won't let you do that at Palomar.

Pat,

Its nice to be reminded once in a while that we are on a huge ball of molten iron that is being tugged around the Milky Way Galaxy by our sun at about 650,000 mph. Shazam!

Wow! Those shots are amazing! Did they let you look through the telescope? They won't let you do that at Palomar.

Pat,

Yes indeed, visual observation as well as CCD, digital camera, and webcamera. We had a exclusive access to our own telescope and observed operations in others. Lots of interesting things goiing on at KPNO.

The thing to keep in mind is that our eyes are not at all as sensitive as taking long exposures using CCDs. With the eye one cannot see all that much. Still the bright objects are thrilling to the eye.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Pat,

As promised here are a few images from our stay at Kitt Peak. I selected images of objects that are recognizable. Of course you will find much better images on the KPNO web site and even more impressive Hubble images on the NASA site. Image quality improves with long exposure times and very clear atmospheric conditions. Many more images on our CD-R but too many for this post.

The usual suspects are Saturn with Titan, Mars, Andromeda Galaxy, and a two-fer image of Trifid Nebula and Lagoon Nebula. You'll find descriptive pages for these objects on the KPNO site.

The planetary images are still frames captured from our webcam footage. Using the webcam is interesting because motion of planets, moons, and ring systems can be captured if you can spare the limited observation time.

A particular interest I held was planetary nebula because they fortell of the eventual fate of planet Earth. Our sun eventually exhausts it's fusion fuel, collapses into it's core, and then rebounds out to Earth orbit as a red giant. Earth becomes nothing more than assimilated sub-atomic particles including all of our many Geocaches. Well, you know, unless something bad happens first.

Harmon

Saturn with Titan at bottom center

d31b007c-91f4-461c-ac60-5a063223c8b2.jpg

Mars

7d463d1a-966d-4235-9c7a-8492f60f0d8a.jpg

Andromeda Galaxy

51214e76-1a9d-4f92-b606-9b9746af523d.jpg

M21 Trifid Nebula and M8 Lagoon Nebula

e149d3b3-639f-462c-973a-051ba634121e.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies

5bb9c49f-d5aa-44fc-bd96-ee60e54ef582.jpg

Another emphasis technique somewhat like the color-emphasis Photoshop lesson. Recomposed the image and then used a little Gaussian blur and desaturation to deemphasize the background with respect to the foreground.

The original image as posted by RocketCouple can be found on the "This just in" thread.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Hey Harmon, I used my Photoshop skills (learned from you on this Banter thread) to create a new cache called Shipwrecked! :P

Attaboy Pat, you really done good. Boy do I ever love to see results like that. Nice pose by the way.

Well, you know, except for the fact that it's another danged puzzle cache. Spent my rainy day solving a half-dozen puzzle caches for the Geobabe outing tomorrow.

Edited by SD Rowdies