San Diego Banter

TrailGators

The photo below should orient you to the PSP Freehand Selection Tool.

Harmon, I tried this tool today at work and it is pretty slick! Now we just need to stock this site with some more foto fodder! :P

Slick huh? That improved selection tool showed up in Paint Shop Pro 9.0.

on sale this week i think at Fry's

How much does Fry's want for it? It's only 59 smackers if you have an older copy of PSP (which I do).

try this link...

Outpost.com Paint Shop Pro 9.0 = $9.99 after rebates

$50 rebate seems to be expired...looks like false advertizing or someone screwed up and attatched the wrong rebate.

UPDATE: just talked with Outpost.com staff(bob in sales). the rebate is valid for today only. they posted the wrong pdf (so ignore it) they said they will have it corrected within 24hrs....however you must copy the web page for your records and they will honor it.

Edited by The Dillon Gang

on sale this week i think at Fry's

How much does Fry's want for it? It's only 59 smackers if you have an older copy of PSP (which I do).

try this link...

Outpost.com Paint Shop Pro 9.0 = $9.99 after rebates

Thanks Steve. I checked this out and if you click on the $50 rebate link it comes up with a $30 rebate that expired on 3/31/05. The $30 rebate link works but I can get it for $59 already.

UPDATE: just talked with Outpost.com staff(bob in sales). the rebate is valid for today only. they posted the wrong pdf (so ignore it) they said they will have it corrected within 24hrs....however you must copy the web page for your records and they will honor it.

Check this out....you, with the update can still get it for 9.99

Collecting and using shots of unusual surfaces and textures became another photographic interest of mine some time ago. I use these shots as backgrounds for placing selections.

Here's a few shots to illustrate the idea.

Featured are Geocachers Baldy & Goldilocks, Carpenter from Hell, $kimmer and Mr. The Vulture's Jeep Wrangler, and Sandy and I. The backgrounds for these shots include the hair on ol' Bud th' Sandy Creek dawg's back, a Sandy Creek Ranch hay-bale, tire tracks from a cement truck that came to Sandy Creek Ranch, brick work at the ranch barbecue patio, and tractor tracks along a decomposed-granite ranch road.

I keep a large gallery of found backgrounds and have done many more such composite shots.

cc674e7e-d4ac-4055-8169-2be24b0eff66.jpg

ccbce7d3-1cc6-4fcc-b04b-dffd8293635c.jpg

0eb708db-b392-47f6-96ba-69f60f4fbca7.jpg

71ffb243-f628-43e9-bbcf-666fd6d55224.jpg

4913d650-e09d-4273-975a-8b0c7f4b2b79.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies

Check this out....you, with the update can still get it for 9.99

got the $50.00 rebate emailed to me from Outpost.com

so.....

total price with shipping and tax (shipping is 2 day express)

subtract the

$50 Fry's mail in rebate

$30 upgrade mail in rebate

grand total

Harmon - What have you created?

Trouble, that's what. I know how to start a movement like this but how do y' stop it?

Clearly I should have thought this deal out in much more detail. Imagine founding a band of photographic marauders. Nobody is safe from here on out.

I can see that they are going to run past me right away, maybe already. Which way'd they go?

I try to keep a few cloud pictures handy. They can brighten up just about any picture.  :blink:

A man after my own heart. Not a cloudy day passes at the ranch without my camera being turned on for shots. I've got a tremendous gallery of interesting skies.

Nice clean selection by the way. Of course with that head how could y' miss. Ol' Baldy will be proud.

Harmon

Here's one of the ranch skies behind Gecko Dad and Skull Rock. Ain't he cute?

e6697854-5dc0-435d-986a-bf98a1f93239.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies

Nice clean selection by the way. Of course with that head how could y' miss. Ol' Baldy will be proud.

Harmon

Here's one of the ranch skies behind Gecko Dad and Skull Rock. Ain't he cute?

e6697854-5dc0-435d-986a-bf98a1f93239.jpg

Thanks. I think that everything has a key, foundational skill that must be learned. For using the Internet, it's performing a quick and effective search. For Photoshop, it's making an accurate selection. After that, the rest is gravy.

And now, two questions that only need be asked in this thread:

Is Skull Rock real, and is it really that big? :blink:

Okay Harmon....whats lesson 4?

My thought was to cover some simple warping exercises as on the Parsa mug from a previous post. However I have reservations about this topic as many of the photo editing packages don't support image warping. PhotoShop CS2 has the good warping engine. I'll give this some more thought.

At any rate I'm going to cover the use of layering more thoroughly in Lesson 4 as promised. For a bonus I'll toss in some interesting uses for the cloning tool. I'll be working on that lesson tonight.

I urge everyone to mention personal editing interests so that the lessons can focus on true needs. The initial TrailGator goals have been satisfied as you can see from his many and varied posts. That guy is clearly having a good time with his photo editing activities.

Hopefully we'll get to the point of being able to collaborate on joint projects.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
And now, two questions that only need be asked in this thread:

Is Skull Rock real, and is it really that big?  :(

Good point.

Gecko Dad sent the original shot to me and I added a more interesting sky. I don't believe that Gecko Dad alters photos so there's a good chance that the skull rock is as it appears in the photo.

Oddly enough I know of a much larger skull rock at Lake Powell. There's a Geocache near it but with the low water level it isn't reasonable to search for the cache. Luckily a group of us SD Rowdies scored the cache several years ago.

Edited by SD Rowdies

I've been hinting around to see whether anybody has an interest in warping and blending technique. So far no takers except for Steve Dillon, but only because he ran across an extremely thought-provoking instance of warping.

The thoughts that were provoked were pretty-much unmentionable on this forum thread. I can say that it was a terrific instance of warping and blending involving some shapely nether parts.

Of course a warping and blending exercise will involve Photoshop CS2. That's a high-cost item; however, one could explore the concept during a 30-day trial period. The exercise might convince you to purchase CS2. There are legitimate ways to purchase CS2 at less than retail cost.

Well, anyway, my intent here is to present an simple example of warping using CS2 that pertains to our Geocaching thread topic. Splashette is the star in this exercise as is her t-shirt. Warped onto her tee is a Mapsend topo image of San Diego County. Make up your own joke about Splashette's topographical features. At least you'll have a good reason to travel I-15 after this photo.

The underlying photo was taken during a Geocaching trip to the fabulous country near Moab, Utah. Eight San Diego Geocachers were along on that trip.

What I'm looking for here is an expression of interest for exploring warping using Photoshop CS2. This is not a hint.

If the interest is there then Lesson 4 will cover warping, and will involve the Splashette exercise. You'll get to use some of the skills already discussed in lessons one through three. Learn warping and you can put a human face on your puppy dog, Rocket Man's face of course.

Here she is in living color, a warped Splashette. Cool tee huh?

244b4cc6-5fb0-49bb-84ad-31230188c108.jpg

Wait a minute, "warped Splashette" is redundant ain't it?

Let me see now, Blonds Run Amok, ... hmm.

Edited by SD Rowdies
I'm game!  :unsure:

So that Jabba the Hut ice cream cone was done by warping?

Yowza! Now we know where your interests lie.

Maybe you should spend some time with that fox Dillon.

I'd love to make some Geo-cones, but you'd have to create a color matching lesson so I could make them look cool like that Jabba one!!

I'm game!  :unsure:

So that Jabba the Hut ice cream cone was done by warping?

Yowza! Now we know where your interests lie.

Maybe you should spend some time with that fox Dillon.

I'd love to make some Geo-cones, but you'd have to create a color matching lesson so I could make them look cool like that Jabba one!!

Color matching, that's an easy part. I'll include it.

I'm interested, but I have Photoshop 7.0. Please let me know some of the ways I can get Photoshop CS2 at a cheaper cost.

Thanks for the lessons they have been great.

If you already have an installed and registered Photoshop 7.0 then all you need is the Photoshop CS2 Upgrade version from Adobe.com. Retail for the upgrade is $149.00 and maybe some for shipping. Some online shopping might even reduce this cost a bit.

Again, the trick is to have an installed and registered Photoshop version. If not then there's another way.

Packaged deals can be found that provide a legitimate old version of Photoshop and the new Photoshop CS2 upgrade version. First one must install the old version, register the old version, and then install and register the CS2 upgrade. Here's an instance of such a package deal.

http://www.edirectsoftware.com/default/PhotoshopCS-B.html

eDirectSoftware will get you down to $375.00 plus shipping versus retail of about $599.00, including shipping. That's a savings of about two-hundred dollars. This deal is a full version Adobe Photoshop CS2 product. The package is complete with the retail box, CD(s), manual, paper license, registration card and CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY (COA).

Without the COA Adobe will not recognize and support the package so beware of the really-cheap offers from afar.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

I'm really impressesed with Adobe PhotoShop Elements that I have at work compared to PhotoShop 6.0 at home. For most things that I do, Elements works great. There are fewer filters and fewer selection tool but it has the same look and feel.

PS Elements can be had for about $100 with no special deals.

I'm really impressesed with Adobe PhotoShop Elements that I have at work compared to PhotoShop 6.0 at home.  For most things that I do, Elements works great.  There are fewer filters and fewer selection tool but it has the same look and feel.

Yes, I bought Photoshop Elements for about thirty bucks to support Dave and Bonnie, Clari-Netacache, while they went through a photo-editing class at Grossmont College. Those two are retired and do so many interesting things that it's hard for them to spend time on their photographic interest. At least I tried.

Of the many lite versions Photoshop Elements does a good job for tuning up snapshots.

Truth is I'm loaded with photo and video editors. Each has some special set of strengths but in the end the Adobe professional products of recent years outclass the others for overall content and for the fact that they integrate so completely with other professional software applications. Early on the Adobe stuff was oriented primarily toward web-page design.

Paint Shop Pro is also a very nice package and offers a lot for your dollar. Of course, by comparison, it has limitations.

The problem is that wanting a photo editor is much like wanting an astronomical telescope. If you are truly addicted then the top-of-the-line product is what you'll wind up wanting. Along the way toward the best you'll accumulate most of the other models. There's just no end to it, once you have the best then you'll wish for something better.

Then you die.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
I'm interested, but I have Photoshop 7.0. Please let me know some of the ways I can get Photoshop CS2 at a cheaper cost.

Thanks for the lessons they have been great.

know a teacher and purchase the academic edition for reallly cheap!!! that or go to the base px

So where were you when I needed you?

watch the sales this weekend at Frys, BestBuy and Compusa....i'm sure you will see it for around 50-60 bucks

Here's what my base cost would be for the following:

Full version of photoshop CS = $268 and change

Upgrade Photoshop CS = $148 and change

Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 plus Premiere Elements 1.0 = $125 and change

Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 = $59 and change

Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium = $359 and change

I have Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium

Edited by The Dillon Gang
once you have the best then you'll wish for something better.

Then you die.

Then you get something better! :P

Good point but doesn't that depend on how one behaves?

As long as you fit in with the rest of the crowd up there you're probably OK! :D

So I guess I'm going to try to use Photoshop Elements next time since it came free on my new laptop! Hopefully it can make crazy looking ice cream cones! Otherwise what good is it!? :anibad:

So I guess I'm going to try to use Photoshop Elements next time since it came free on my new laptop! Hopefully it can make crazy looking ice cream cones! Otherwise what good is it!?  :anibad:

Elements won't do layering, warping, and other such fancy stuff. It has the usual entry-level snapshot stuff like brightness and contrast adjustment, red-eye correction, resizing, and so on. Looks like a night-job for you.

Say, this thread is already maturing isn't it? On the thread one can now discover a number of ways to acquire a range of photo-editing packages at reduced price. Also one can get some sense of the functional differences between software offerings.

Of course a few of our posted productions might just possibly be characterized as anything but "mature." ... but we're having fun aren't we?

Edited by SD Rowdies

So I guess I'm going to try to use Photoshop Elements next time since it came free on my new laptop! Hopefully it can make crazy looking ice cream cones! Otherwise what good is it!?  :anibad:

Elements won't do layering, warping, and other such fancy stuff. It has the usual entry-level snapshot stuff like brightness and contrast adjustment, red-eye correction, resizing, and so on.

Looks like a night-job for you.

So what good is it? I can can free software from the online photo ordering sites to do all that!

Elements won't do layering, warping, and other such fancy stuff. It has the usual entry-level snapshot stuff like brightness and contrast adjustment, red-eye correction, resizing, and so on.

Looks like a night-job for you.

So what good is it? I can can free software from the online photo ordering sites to do all that!

All boils down to your personal needs. Elements is a great entry-level package for handling a family photo gallery. That's a good thang.

In your case the editing bug has bitten you hard and so you are now beyond hope or reason. Worse yet, I recall that you intend to infect your offspring with the same madness.

How do I know that you are a goner? Think about it my fine friend, Jabba the Hut ice cream cones. Whoa!

Recently I heard a smart man say "Once I was an engineer but now I'm O.K." Maybe the same thing applies to graphic artists and photo-editing geeks.

If y' don't believe it then take a good look at SallyM of Senior Sleuths. (I know she's out there but she doesn't do Forum poststs.) Just watch her kick in on this subject.

Hi SallyM, think about it girl, you could teach us amateurs a lot.

Sweet ol' Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies