San Diego Banter

TrailGators

I was reading another thread that was discussing people's favorite caching names and I ran across this post:
We have a new cacher in western Sydney who goes by the name of Oil Beef Hooked, try saying that in an Irish accent!

Now that caching name is really funny! :anibad:;);):laughing:

That's funny. I had to practice my Irish accent a few times before I realized what I was saying! :anibad:

I was reading another thread that was discussing people's favorite caching names and I ran across this post:
We have a new cacher in western Sydney who goes by the name of Oil Beef Hooked, try saying that in an Irish accent!

Now that caching name is really funny! ;););):laughing:

That's funny. I had to practice my Irish accent a few times before I realized what I was saying! :anibad:

Try saying his caching name the next time you can't find a cache! :anibad::huh:

You Don't Have To Own A Cat To Appreciate This One!

We were dressed and ready to go out for the New Years Eve Party. We turned on a night light, turned the answering machine on, covered our pet parakeet and put the cat in the backyard. We phoned the local cab company and requested a taxi. The taxi arrived and we opened the front door to leave the house. The cat we put out in the yard, scoots back into the house. We didn't want the cat shut in the house because she always tries to eat the bird. My wife goes out to the taxi, while I went inside to get the cat. The cat runs upstairs, with me in hot pursuit.

Waiting in the cab, my wife doesn't want the driver to know that the house will be empty for the night. So, she explains to the taxi driver that I will be out soon: 'He's just going upstairs to say Goodbye to my mother.'

A few minutes later, I get into the cab. 'Sorry I took so long,'I said, as we drove away. 'That stupid bitch was hiding under the bed. I had to poke her with a coat hanger to get her to come out! She tried to take off, so I grabbed her by the neck. Then, I had to wrap her in a blanket to keep her from scratching me. But it worked! I hauled her fat a** downstairs and threw her out into the back yard!'

The cab driver hit a parked car. 00020148.gif

Happy Birthday to FATBOY!!! If you didn't know his birthday is coming up... I thought I would say something. He will be turning __ . Hope you have a great birthday, FATBOY !!!

Great! Another one of these kids having a Happy Birthday. Well, enjoy them while they last because someday birthdays will just mean that you are another year older and another day closer to death. Just like me. That's right, I'm turning old this month and I ain't happy about it at all. But this isn't about me. So...

Happy Birthday, FATTBOY!

birthday-cake.jpg

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Happy Birthday to FATBOY!!! If you didn't know his birthday is coming up... I thought I would say something. He will be turning __ . Hope you have a great birthday, FATBOY !!!

Great! Another one of these kids having a Happy Birthday. Well, enjoy them while they last because someday birthdays will just mean that you are another year older and another day closer to death. Just like me. That's right, I'm turning old this month and I ain't happy about it at all. But this isn't about me. So...

Happy Birthday, FATTBOY!

birthday-cake.jpg

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FATTBOY! :(

I got this in email today.

FWD: Car Locks

This is very troubling what lengths people will go to to steal

what doesn't belong to them ! I do almost 100% of the time

lock my car on the door lock inside when I exit the car.

Little did I know that is the best way to lock your car. Read

on......

Beware folks. This is news you can use.

THIS HAS BEEN CHECKED ON SNOPES, but not by me.

My oldest son came over yesterday- he had to go to Canada for

work last week. One of the other engineer's traveling to

Canada with him, but in his own car had something

happen...that I need to share.

While traveling he stopped at the roadside park, similar to

what we have here with bathrooms, vending machines etc. He

came out to his car less than 4-5 minutes later and found

someone had gotten into his car, and stolen his cell phone,

laptop computer, gps navigator briefcase.....you name it.

They called the police and since there were no signs of his

car being broke into- the police told him that there is a

divice that robbers are using now to clone your security code

when you lock your doors on your car using your key-chain

locking device..They set a distance away and watch for their

next victim. Since they know you are going inside of the

store, restaurant, or bathroom and have a few minutes to steal

and run. The police office said...to be sure to manually lock

your car door-by hitting the lock button inside the car, that

way if there is someone setting in a parking lot watching for

their next victim it will not be you.

When you hit the lock button on your car upon exiting...it

does not send the security code, but if you walk away and use

the door lock on your key chain- it sends the code thru the

airwaves where it can be stolen.

I just wanted to let you know about this...it is something

totally new to us...and this is real...it just happened this

past Thursday June 19th to his co-worker...

so be aware of this and please pass this note on...look how

many times we all lock our doors with our keys...just to be

sure we remembered to lock them....and bingo the guys have our

code...and whatever was in the car...can be gone.

I just wanted everyone I know to hear this from me..

I never knew about anything like this...

and do not want this to happen to anyone I know ...if we can

educate each other on bad things happening.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/lockcode.asp

As soon as I saw this:

THIS HAS BEEN CHECKED ON SNOPES,
my antenna started tingling. I was pretty sure that if I went to Snopes, I would find a different story than that presented here. Then I read the rest and knew that it was bogus.

Car door locks use a rolling code. What this means is that a different code is sent every time. This code is not predictable from the previous code since it is based on information known only by your car and the lock clicker thing. If anyone does sniff the code, all that they know is that this code could have been useful last time to open the door. But it won't be useful the next time and thus it does them no good.

Here's a link if you want to know more about how rolling codes work:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/remote-entry2.htm

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/lockcode.asp

As soon as I saw this:

THIS HAS BEEN CHECKED ON SNOPES,
my antenna started tingling. I was pretty sure that if I went to Snopes, I would find a different story than that presented here. Then I read the rest and knew that it was bogus.

Car door locks use a rolling code. What this means is that a different code is sent every time. This code is not predictable from the previous code since it is based on information known only by your car and the lock clicker thing. If anyone does sniff the code, all that they know is that this code could have been useful last time to open the door. But it won't be useful the next time and thus it does them no good.

Here's a link if you want to know more about how rolling codes work:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/remote-entry2.htm

I got that from a friend that usually doesn't send me red herrings. Thanks for the feedback!
Bigger is better

d0ec0cd2-1b96-49a6-8969-7db1d51adec2.jpg

I sure wouldn't want to fall over with that. 000201ED.gif the bike that is. 000201FF.gif

For some reason, I was thinking that "You sure wouldn't want to lay that one down. (The bike, that is...)

By the way, she's only three feet tall...

So many funny things went through my mind with this one that I can't post in these forums. :laughing: Edited by TrailGators

Sisters Mary Catherine, Maria Theresa, Katherine Marie, Rose Frances & Mary Kathleen left the Convent on a trip to St. P atrick's Cathedral in New York City and were sight-seeing on a Tuesday in July .

It was hot and humid in town and their traditional garb was making them so uncomfortable, they decided to stop in at Patty McGuire's Pub for a cold soft drink.

Patty had recently added special legs to her barstools, which were the talk of the fashionable eastside neighborhood. All 5 Nuns sat up at the bar and were enjoying their Cokes when Monsignor Riley and Father McGinty entered the bar through the front door.

They, too, came for a cold drink when they were shocked and almost fainted at what they saw.

fe07a040-33e5-40f2-89e8-8edc717dd567.jpg

000201E4.gif

Sisters Mary Catherine, Maria Theresa, Katherine Marie, Rose Frances & Mary Kathleen left the Convent on a trip to St. P atrick's Cathedral in New York City and were sight-seeing on a Tuesday in July .

It was hot and humid in town and their traditional garb was making them so uncomfortable, they decided to stop in at Patty McGuire's Pub for a cold soft drink.

Patty had recently added special legs to her barstools, which were the talk of the fashionable eastside neighborhood. All 5 Nuns sat up at the bar and were enjoying their Cokes when Monsignor Riley and Father McGinty entered the bar through the front door.

They, too, came for a cold drink when they were shocked and almost fainted at what they saw.

fe07a040-33e5-40f2-89e8-8edc717dd567.jpg

000201E4.gif

I did a double take when I first looked at that... :(

A fleeing Taliban, desperate for water, was plodding through the

Afghanistan desert when he saw something far off in the

distance. Hoping to find water, he hurried toward the object

only to find a little old Jew at a small stand selling neckties.

The Taliban asked, 'Do you have water?'

The Jew replied, 'I have no water. Would you like to buy a tie?

They are only $5.'

The Taliban shouted, 'Idiot! I do not need an overpriced tie. I

need water! I should kill you, but I must find water first.'

'OK,' said the old Jew, 'it does not matter that you don't want

to buy a tie and that you hate me. I will show you that I am

bigger than that. If you continue over that hill to the east

for about two miles, you will find a lovely restaurant.

It has all the ice cold water you need. Shalom.'

Muttering, the Taliban staggered away over the hill.

Several hours later he staggered back.

'Your freaking brother won't let me in without a tie!!'

A fleeing Taliban, desperate for water, was plodding through the

Afghanistan desert when he saw something far off in the

distance. Hoping to find water, he hurried toward the object

only to find a little old Jew at a small stand selling neckties.

The Taliban asked, 'Do you have water?'

The Jew replied, 'I have no water. Would you like to buy a tie?

They are only $5.'

The Taliban shouted, 'Idiot! I do not need an overpriced tie. I

need water! I should kill you, but I must find water first.'

'OK,' said the old Jew, 'it does not matter that you don't want

to buy a tie and that you hate me. I will show you that I am

bigger than that. If you continue over that hill to the east

for about two miles, you will find a lovely restaurant.

It has all the ice cold water you need. Shalom.'

Muttering, the Taliban staggered away over the hill.

Several hours later he staggered back.

'Your freaking brother won't let me in without a tie!!'

This is so politically incorrect, and yet, I love it. :ph34r:

A stranger was seated next to a 8-year old girl on the airplane when the stranger turned to her and said, "Let's talk, I've heard that flights go quicker if you strike up a conversation with your fellow passenger."

The little girl, who had just opened her book, closed it slowly and said to the stranger, "What would you like to talk about?"

"Oh, I don't know," said the stranger "How about nuclear power?" and he smiles.

"OK," she said. "That could be an interesting topic. But let me ask you a question first. A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same stuff, grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns out a flat patty, and a horse produces clumps of dried grass. Why do you suppose that is?"

The stranger, visibly surprised by the little girl's intelligence, thinks about it and says, "Hmmm, I have no idea."

To which the little girl replies, "Do you really feel qualified to discuss nuclear power when you don't know sh_t?"

A stranger was seated next to a 8-year old girl on the airplane when the stranger turned to her and said, "Let's talk, I've heard that flights go quicker if you strike up a conversation with your fellow passenger."

The little girl, who had just opened her book, closed it slowly and said to the stranger, "What would you like to talk about?"

"Oh, I don't know," said the stranger "How about nuclear power?" and he smiles.

"OK," she said. "That could be an interesting topic. But let me ask you a question first. A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same stuff, grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns out a flat patty, and a horse produces clumps of dried grass. Why do you suppose that is?"

The stranger, visibly surprised by the little girl's intelligence, thinks about it and says, "Hmmm, I have no idea."

To which the little girl replies, "Do you really feel qualified to discuss nuclear power when you don't know sh_t?"

000201D8.gif

5a683e38-bcd1-49a3-8c58-a1144bd1ffeb.jpg

Two rednecks were looking at a Sears catalog and admiring the models. One says to the other,

'Have you seen the beautiful girls in this catalog?'

The second one replies, 'Yes, they are very beautiful. And look at the price!'

The first one says, with wide eyes, 'Wow, they aren't very expensive. At this price, I'm buying one.'

The second one smiles and pats him on the back. 'Good idea! Order one and if she's as beautiful as she is in the catalog, I will get one too.'

Three weeks later, the youngest redneck asks his friend, 'Did you ever receive the girl you ordered from the Sears catalog?'

The second redneck replies, 'No, but it shouldn't be long now. I got her clothes yesterday!'

5a683e38-bcd1-49a3-8c58-a1144bd1ffeb.jpg

Two rednecks were looking at a Sears catalog and admiring the models. One says to the other,

'Have you seen the beautiful girls in this catalog?'

The second one replies, 'Yes, they are very beautiful. And look at the price!'

The first one says, with wide eyes, 'Wow, they aren't very expensive. At this price, I'm buying one.'

The second one smiles and pats him on the back. 'Good idea! Order one and if she's as beautiful as she is in the catalog, I will get one too.'

Three weeks later, the youngest redneck asks his friend, 'Did you ever receive the girl you ordered from the Sears catalog?'

The second redneck replies, 'No, but it shouldn't be long now. I got her clothes yesterday!'

Good one! :anibad:

Incredible Story

In 1986, Peter Davies was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from Northwestern University.

On a hike through the bush, he came across a young bull elephant standing with one leg raised in the air. The elephant seemed distressed, so Peter approached it very carefully.

He got down on one knee and inspected the elephant's foot and found a large piece of wood deeply embedded in it. As carefully and as gently as he could, Peter worked the wood out with his hunting knife, after which the elephant gingerly put down its foot. The elephant turned to face the man, and ! with a r ather curious look on its face, stared at him for several tense moments. Peter stood frozen, thinking of nothing else but being trampled. Eventually the elephant trumpeted loudly, turned, and walked away. Peter never forgot that elephant or the events of that day.

Twenty years later, Peter was walking through the Chicago Zoo with his teenaged son. As they approached the elephant enclosure, one of the creatures turned and walked over to near where Peter and his son Cameron were standing. The large bull elephant stared at Peter, lifted its front foot off the ground, then put it down. The elephant did that several times then trumpeted loudly, all the while staring at the man.

Remembering the encounter in 1986, Peter couldn't help wondering if this was the same elephant. Peter summoned up his courage, climbed over the railing and made his way into the enclosure. He walked right up to the elephant and stared back in wonder. The elephant trumpeted again, wrapped its trunk around one of Peter legs and slammed his stupid butt against the railing, killing him instantly.

Probably wasn't the same elephant. 0002014F.gif 000201DD.gif

Incredible Story

In 1986, Peter Davies was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from Northwestern University.

On a hike through the bush, he came across a young bull elephant standing with one leg raised in the air. The elephant seemed distressed, so Peter approached it very carefully.

He got down on one knee and inspected the elephant's foot and found a large piece of wood deeply embedded in it. As carefully and as gently as he could, Peter worked the wood out with his hunting knife, after which the elephant gingerly put down its foot. The elephant turned to face the man, and ! with a r ather curious look on its face, stared at him for several tense moments. Peter stood frozen, thinking of nothing else but being trampled. Eventually the elephant trumpeted loudly, turned, and walked away. Peter never forgot that elephant or the events of that day.

Twenty years later, Peter was walking through the Chicago Zoo with his teenaged son. As they approached the elephant enclosure, one of the creatures turned and walked over to near where Peter and his son Cameron were standing. The large bull elephant stared at Peter, lifted its front foot off the ground, then put it down. The elephant did that several times then trumpeted loudly, all the while staring at the man.

Remembering the encounter in 1986, Peter couldn't help wondering if this was the same elephant. Peter summoned up his courage, climbed over the railing and made his way into the enclosure. He walked right up to the elephant and stared back in wonder. The elephant trumpeted again, wrapped its trunk around one of Peter legs and slammed his stupid butt against the railing, killing him instantly.

Incredible Story

Oldie but goodie!

THE PRESIDENTIAL RETIREMENT FUND

A president's pension currently is $191,300 per year, until he is 80 years old.

Assuming the next president lives to age 80…

Sen. McCain would receive ZERO pension as he would reach 80 at the end of two terms as president.

Sen. Obama would be retired for 26 years after two terms and would receive $4,973,800 in pension monies.

Therefore, it would certainly make economic sense to elect McCain in November.

Case Closed!

How's that for non partisan thinking???

000201DD.gif

Edited by SKILLET

TEXAS DEPUTY SHERIFF VS NEW YORK LAWYER

Only in Texas my friends... Only in Texas ..... Too bad......

A lawyer runs a stop sign and gets pulled over by a sheriff's deputy. He thinks that he is smarter than the deputy because he is a lawyer from New York and is certain that he has a better education than any cop from Texas . He decides to prove this to himself and have some fun at the Texas deputy's expense.

The deputy says, 'License and registration, please.'

'What for?' says the lawyer.

The deputy says, 'You didn't come to a complete stop at the stop sign.'

Then the lawyer says, 'I slowed down, and no one was coming.'

'You still didn't come to a complete stop, Says the deputy. License and registration, please.'

The lawyer says, 'What's the difference?'

'The difference is you have to come to a complete stop, that's the law. License and registration, please!' the Deputy says.

Lawyer says, 'If you can show me the legal difference between slow down and stop, I'll give you my license and registration; and you give me the ticket. If not, you let me go and don't give me the ticket.'

'That sounds fair. Please exit your vehicle, sir,' the deputy says.

At this point, the deputy takes out his nightstick and starts beating the daylights out of the lawyer and says, 'Do you want me to stop, or just slow down?

00020080.gif

TEXAS DEPUTY SHERIFF VS NEW YORK LAWYER

Only in Texas my friends... Only in Texas ..... Too bad......

A lawyer runs a stop sign and gets pulled over by a sheriff's deputy. He thinks that he is smarter than the deputy because he is a lawyer from New York and is certain that he has a better education than any cop from Texas . He decides to prove this to himself and have some fun at the Texas deputy's expense.

The deputy says, 'License and registration, please.'

'What for?' says the lawyer.

The deputy says, 'You didn't come to a complete stop at the stop sign.'

Then the lawyer says, 'I slowed down, and no one was coming.'

'You still didn't come to a complete stop, Says the deputy. License and registration, please.'

The lawyer says, 'What's the difference?'

'The difference is you have to come to a complete stop, that's the law. License and registration, please!' the Deputy says.

Lawyer says, 'If you can show me the legal difference between slow down and stop, I'll give you my license and registration; and you give me the ticket. If not, you let me go and don't give me the ticket.'

'That sounds fair. Please exit your vehicle, sir,' the deputy says.

At this point, the deputy takes out his nightstick and starts beating the daylights out of the lawyer and says, 'Do you want me to stop, or just slow down?

00020080.gif

Why I oughta!

It Might Be the Light

Deep In the back woods, a hillbilly's wife went into labor in the middle of the night, and the doctor was called out to assist in the delivery. Since there was no electricity, the doctor handed the father-to-be a lantern and said, "Here. You hold this high so I can see what I am doing." Soon, a baby boy was brought into the world.

Whoa there, said the doctor, "Don't be in such a rush to put that lantern down. I think there's another one coming." Sure enough, within minutes he had delivered a baby girl. "Hold that lantern up, don't set it down there's another one!" said the doctor.

Within a few minutes he had delivered a third baby.

"No, don't be in a hurry to put down that lantern, it seems there's yet another one coming!" cried the doctor.

The redneck scratched his head in bewilderment, and asked the doctor, "You reckon it might be the light that's attractin' 'em? 000201E4.gif

It Might Be the Light

Deep In the back woods, a hillbilly's wife went into labor in the middle of the night, and the doctor was called out to assist in the delivery. Since there was no electricity, the doctor handed the father-to-be a lantern and said, "Here. You hold this high so I can see what I am doing." Soon, a baby boy was brought into the world.

Whoa there, said the doctor, "Don't be in such a rush to put that lantern down. I think there's another one coming." Sure enough, within minutes he had delivered a baby girl. "Hold that lantern up, don't set it down there's another one!" said the doctor.

Within a few minutes he had delivered a third baby.

"No, don't be in a hurry to put down that lantern, it seems there's yet another one coming!" cried the doctor.

The redneck scratched his head in bewilderment, and asked the doctor, "You reckon it might be the light that's attractin' 'em? 000201E4.gif

YEa you should probally put the light out

HERE's YOUR SIGN

I was talking to a friend of mine's little girl, and she said

she wanted to be President some day. Both of her parents,

liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her, 'If

you were President what would be the first thing you would do?'

She replied, 'I'd give houses to all the homeless people.'

'Wow - what a worthy goal.' I told her, 'You don't have to

wait until you're President to do that. You can come over to

my house and mow, pull weeds, and sweep my yard, and I'll pay

you $50. 'Then I'll take you over to the grocery store where the

homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use

toward a new house.'

She thought that over for a few seconds 'cause she's only 6.

And while her Mom glared at me, she looked me straight in the

eye and asked, 'Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do

the work, and you can just pay him the $50?'

And I said, 'Welcome to the Republican Party.'

Her folks still aren't talking to me.

I was talking to a friend of mine's little girl, and she said

she wanted to be President some day. Both of her parents,

liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her, 'If

you were President what would be the first thing you would do?'

She replied, 'I'd give houses to all the homeless people.'

'Wow - what a worthy goal.' I told her, 'You don't have to

wait until you're President to do that. You can come over to

my house and mow, pull weeds, and sweep my yard, and I'll pay

you $50. 'Then I'll take you over to the grocery store where the

homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use

toward a new house.'

She thought that over for a few seconds 'cause she's only 6.

And while her Mom glared at me, she looked me straight in the

eye and asked, 'Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do

the work, and you can just pay him the $50?'

And I said, 'Welcome to the Republican Party.'

Her folks still aren't talking to me.

000202C7.gif 00020201.gif

I ran across this very interesting article written by one of our own local meteorologists, John Coleman of KUSI. :)

Twelve years ago, I took a geology course at SDSU taught by Pat Abbott. I remember that he addressed this issue, saying that there was no consensus on global warming. Rather, a vocal minority of scientists had captured the attention of the media and politicians. It was his opinion that while the Earth was indeed warming slowly, it was because we have just reached the end (geologically speaking) of an ice age. It was normal that the Earth was warming and humans had little, if anything to do with it.

Of course publicly saying this will brand you as a heretic.

I ran across this very interesting article written by one of our own local meteorologists, John Coleman of KUSI. :)

Twelve years ago, I took a geology course at SDSU taught by Pat Abbott. I remember that he addressed this issue, saying that there was no consensus on global warming. Rather, a vocal minority of scientists had captured the attention of the media and politicians. It was his opinion that while the Earth was indeed warming slowly, it was because we have just reached the end (geologically speaking) of an ice age. It was normal that the Earth was warming and humans had little, if anything to do with it.

Of course publicly saying this will brand you as a heretic.

Sun dimming anyone, you know, pan evaporation?

Is this the same John Coleman that keeps mispredicting San Diego's weather? :) I stopped paying attention to him years ago (but I'll probably read the article anyway...)

Rather, a vocal minority of scientists had captured the attention of the media and politicians.

True, it was and is a vocal minority who got the attention, but what about the silent majority of scientists who happen to agree with that vocal minority...?

Incidently, Abbott is right that the Earth has been warming slowly as part of a normal cyclic nature. It's the unusual uptick in warming rate that has not appeared in previous cycles and that correlates quite strongly to the uptick in burning the burning of fossil fuels that's gotten peoples' attention.

The source of the debate on this is that we don't really have a good handle on how much is caused by the normal cycle and how much is human caused. And if this was just in interesting scientific exercise, it'd be no big deal. But instead, there is legitimate public policy debate on how much money to spend on fixing this (or not fixing this, as the case may be). On one side, you've got the vocal minority of scientists for whom no amount of money is going to be enough and on the other side, you've got an equally vocally minority who insist that there is no problem and therefore we shouldn't spend any money solving the problem.

What I've never understood, though, is why people get all bent out of shape about this? Somehow each side has made it a religion. It makes it hard to have a constructive discussion about it...

Anyway, now that others have hung out their position and I've chimed in with mine, can we take this debate elsewhere and let this thread get back to what's really important -- namely, lighthearted geocaching-related bantering? There's lots of places to listen to the conspiracy theories of both sides of the global-warming debate but very few where we can go around photoshopping unbunched socks... :)

can we take this debate elsewhere and let this thread get back to what's really important -- namely, lighthearted geocaching-related bantering? There's lots of places to listen to the conspiracy theories of both sides of the global-warming debate but very few where we can go around photoshopping unbunched socks... :)

000202C7.gif