San Diego Banter

TrailGators

Am I the only one who finds this amusing?

headswap.gifheadswap.gifheadswap.gifheadswap.gif

Am I being hypnotized? :lol:

You will send all of your savings to Snake & Rooster . . . You will send all of your savings to Snake & Rooster . . .

:lol: Repeat after me....

OH WATA GOO SIAM

OH WATA GOO SIAM

OH WATA GOO SIAM

I don't think so! I fell for that one when I was 9...never again!

It was in my cub scout group and they had us bowing to a trash can.

so yeah....i don't know where to post this but i want upkeep to be done in caches in escondido. a few caches in escondido and san marcos are marked needs maintenance but the owner of the cache hasn't logged in in months.

for example: i went to the cache "About grape size." and found out that it is missing and marked it as needs maintenance but if you go to the owners profile you notice that the owner hasn't logged in since "Thursday, November 29, 2007"...there's no way that this cache will be taken care of anytime soon...so i guess i'm just wondering how things will get taken care of. will the cache just sit there not even disabled? or will someone in charge of this area recognize that something needs to be done?

thanks

Irish

Edited by irish10
so yeah....i don't know where to post this but i want upkeep to be done in caches in escondido. a few caches in escondido and san marcos are marked needs maintenance but the owner of the cache hasn't logged in in months.

for example: i went to the cache "About grape size." and found out that it is missing and marked it as needs maintenance but if you go to the owners profile you notice that the owner hasn't logged in since "Thursday, November 29, 2007"...there's no way that this cache will be taken care of anytime soon...so i guess i'm just wondering how things will get taken care of. will the cache just sit there not even disabled? or will someone in charge of this area recognize that something needs to be done?

thanks

Irish

Normally people temporarily disable their caches when they need maintenance so others don't waste their time on them. However, sometimes they overlook doing that because they get busy on other things. The guy that owns that one is a ranger for SDRP and has probably been really busy since the fire. I found that cache when it was a nano on the barrle. It later became a micro and was stuck in a different spot. I know it's extra work but would suggest using GSAK to filter our caches in your PQ with NM logs or two recent DNFs.

Normally people temporarily disable their caches when they need maintenance so others don't waste their time on them. However, sometimes they overlook doing that because they get busy on other things. The guy that owns that one is a ranger for SDRP and has probably been really busy since the fire. I found that cache when it was a nano on the barrle. It later became a micro and was stuck in a different spot. I know it's extra work but would suggest using GSAK to filter our caches in your PQ with NM logs or two recent DNFs.

Wow, for a moment I thought that read "a nano on the barrie." LOL :D

I'd better get a new prescription!

Wow, for a moment I thought that read "a nano on the barrie." LOL :D

I'd better get a new prescription!

After all these years I still can't type... *barrel :D Edited by TrailGators

There are several things you can do to try and get someone to maintain their cache but it's important to realize that you can't force anyone to do the right thing. At the end of the day, it's the cache owner's responsibility to maintain their caches. Sadly, not all do.

So what can you do?

• You can post a "Needs Maintanance" log. The cache owner will either read it or ignore it. This, at least, gives a chance for future searchers to know about the problem (unless they are like me and they don't read the logs until after arriving at the scene... :D )
  • You can write an e-mail to the cache owner. This has some advantages in that you can be very specific about the problems without tipping anything off on the cache page. This might also get the owners attention in a way that a cache log doesn't. Or the cache owner might ignore this as well.
  • If it is clear that the cache hasn't been maintained in awhile and it seems unlikely that it will ever be maintained, you can submit a "needs archived" log. This is a more drastic step and should not be taken lightly because this will notify the cacher reviewers of the problem. The usual response is that the reviewer ask the cacher owner to contact them. Lack of response from the cache owner usually leads to archival.

One more comment: being busy with other things does not remove a cacher owner's obligation to maintain their caches. They agreed to maintain the cache when they submitted their cache for listing. The responsible thing for them to do if they cannot maintain it themselves is to arrange for someone else to maintain it for them (either informally or formally by adopting out the cache to someone else.)

One more comment: being busy with other things does not remove a cacher owner's obligation to maintain their caches. They agreed to maintain the cache when they submitted their cache for listing. The responsible thing for them to do if they cannot maintain it themselves is to arrange for someone else to maintain it for them (either informally or formally by adopting out the cache to someone else.)
I agree. I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't with my previous comments. My point was there there may be cases where a little extra understanding is needed. I know of people that had issues because of the October fire and they have been out of the loop since the fire. I came across one cache that had not been maintained for months because of this. So I emailed the reviewer to temporarily disable that cache on behalf of that person (and future seekers). I don't know the situation here, but this cache may be a good one to email the reviewer to temporarily disable as well.

No matter what your political convictions are this is eye opener.

Jay Leno on President Bush:

As most of you know I am not a President Bush fan, nor have I ever been, but this is not about Bush, it is about us, as Americans, and it seems to hit the mark. The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some Poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true given the source, right?

The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the President. In essence 2/3 of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change. So being the knuckle dragger I am, I started thinking, 'What are we so unhappy about?''

A.. Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 Days a week?

B.. Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter?

C.. Could it be that 95.4 percent of these unhappy folks have a job?

D.. Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year?

E.. Maybe it is the ability to drive our cars and trucks from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move th rough each state?

F.. Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter?

G.. I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough either.

H.. Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide services to help all and even send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

I.. Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home.

J..You may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames, thus saving you, your family, and your belongings.

K.. Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes, an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss.

L .. This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90% of teenagers own cell phones and computers.

M.. How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world?

Maybe that is what has 69% of you folks unhappy.

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. ,yet has a great disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have, and what we hate about the country instead of thanking the good Lord we live here.

I know, I know. What about the president who took us into war and has no plan to get us out? The president who has a measly 31 percent approval rating? Is this the same president who guided the nation in the dark days after 9/11? The president that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession? Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled ungrateful brats safe from terrorist attacks? The commander in chief of an all-volunteer army that is out there defending you and me?

Did you hear how bad the President is on the news or talk show? Did this news affect you so much, make you so unhappy you couldn't take a look around for yourself and see all the good things and be glad?

Think about it......are you upset at the President because he actually caused you personal pain OR is it because the 'Media' told you he was failing to kiss your sorry ungrateful behind every day. Make no mistake about it.

The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to serve, and in many cases may have died for your freedom. There is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go. They are able to refuse to go and end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an 'other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a ''dishonorable'' discharge after a few days in the brig.

So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans?

Say what you want but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds it leads and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner?

The media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells, and when criticized, try to defend their actions by 'justifying' them in one way or another. Just ask why they tried to allow a murderer like O.J. Simpson to write a book about how he didn't kill his wife, but if he did he would have done it this way......Insane!

Turn off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as country. There is exponentially more good than bad. We are among the most blessed people on Earth and should thank God several times a day, or at least be thankful and appreciative.' 'With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, 'Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?'

Jay Leno

Edited by TrailGators

No matter what your political convictions are this is eye opener.

Jay Leno on President Bush:

As most of you know I am not a President Bush fan, nor have I ever been, but this is not about Bush, it is about us, as Americans, and it seems to hit the mark. The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some Poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true given the source, right?

The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the President. In essence 2/3 of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change. So being the knuckle dragger I am, I started thinking, 'What are we so unhappy about?''

A.. Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 Days a week?

B.. Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter?

D.. Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year?

E.. Maybe it is the ability to drive our cars and trucks from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move th rough each state?

F.. Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter?

G.. I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough either.

H.. Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide services to help all and even send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

J..You may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames, thus saving you, your family, and your belongings.

K.. Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes, an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss.

L .. This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90% of teenagers own cell phones and computers.

M.. How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world?

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. ,yet has a great disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have, and what we hate about the country instead of thanking the good Lord we live here.

I know, I know. What about the president who took us into war and has no plan to get us out? The president who has a measly 31 percent approval rating? Is this the same president who guided the nation in the dark days after 9/11? The president that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession? Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled ungrateful brats safe from terrorist attacks? The commander in chief of an all-volunteer army that is out there defending you and me?

Did you hear how bad the President is on the news or talk show? Did this news affect you so much, make you so unhappy you couldn't take a look around for yourself and see all the good things and be glad?

Think about it......are you upset at the President because he actually caused you personal pain OR is it because the 'Media' told you he was failing to kiss your sorry ungrateful behind every day. Make no mistake about it.

The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to serve, and in many cases may have died for your freedom. There is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go. They are able to refuse to go and end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an 'other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a ''dishonorable'' discharge after a few days in the brig.

So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans?

Say what you want but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds it leads and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner?

The media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells, and when criticized, try to defend their actions by 'justifying' them in one way or another. Just ask why they tried to allow a murderer like O.J. Simpson to write a book about how he didn't kill his wife, but if he did he would have done it this way......Insane!

Turn off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as country. There is exponentially more good than bad. We are among the most blessed people on Earth and should thank God several times a day, or at least be thankful and appreciative.' 'With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, 'Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?'

Jay Leno

Is this really true?

I was pretty sure I'd seen that article somewhere before. There's more to this story if you care to check it out.

Is this really true?

I was pretty sure I'd seen that article somewhere before. There's more to this story if you care to check it out.

I didn't know that, but who said it doesn't really matter. It is something that a lot of people should think about. I just got to see it firsthand when I was in Penang a couple of weeks ago. We are very fortunate and that was the point. :angry: Edited by TrailGators
Is this really true?

I didn't know that, but who said it doesn't really matter. It is something that a lot of people should think about. I just got to see it firsthand when I was in Penang a couple of weeks ago. We are very fortunate and that was the point. :angry:

I agree, we are indeed very fortunate ... I'm on the same page with 'ya there. When times have been tough for me personally, I've often forgetten how fortunate I am in the grand scheme of things.

I posted the link because Leno didn't say 99% of what was credited him. The truth matters to me.

Is this really true?

I didn't know that, but who said it doesn't really matter. It is something that a lot of people should think about. I just got to see it firsthand when I was in Penang a couple of weeks ago. We are very fortunate and that was the point. :angry:

Having been to some of the poorest places on this planet, I am, indeed, grateful for the things that I have and the things that this country given me and/or allowed me to do (which, incidentally, includes the ability to travel to some of the poorest places on this planet.)

Among those things that this country has given me is the right to complain openly about those things that are wrong about this country and the right to take action to change those things that are wrong. And for this, I am extremely grateful. Not everyone on this planet has similar freedoms.

I posted the link because Leno didn't say 99% of what was credited him. The truth matters to me.
Then I'll fix it for you. Try re-reading it now. Is that better? :D

- written by some unknown American :angry:

Edited by TrailGators
Then I'll fix it for you. Try re-reading it now. Is that better? :D

- written by some unknown American :angry:

This is so awesome and true. I wish people would really appriciate things here in america and also things that others do for them

Anybody encountered this Forum-Thread issue?

948ec325-b941-425b-b4a2-071351b96154.jpg

Got the error-message right after posting a remark on Banter Thread; that will teach me I suppose.

I Get the error-message only on San Diego Threads. Tried my laptop and everything is normal there.

Sent two emails to the administrator with no response so far.

Haven't had time to research the problem in depth so am hoping somebody has already done so. Otherwise I'll have time tonight to see if I can track the issue down and fix it.

Its always something.

THanks,

Harmon

SD Rowdies

p.s. No wisecracks about my image-editing either. :angry:

Got the error-message right after posting a remark on Banter Thread; that will teach me I suppose.

I Get the error-message only on San Diego Threads. Tried my laptop and everything is normal there.

Haven't had time to research the problem in depth so am hoping somebody has already done so. Otherwise I'll have time tonight to see if I can track the issue down and fix it.

Its always something.

THanks,

Harmon

SD Rowdies

I've never had that issue, Harmon....
Then I'll fix it for you. Try re-reading it now. Is that better? :angry:

- written by some unknown American :D

You are amusing me! I had no trouble reading it the first time. Furthermore, I had no trouble finding the author's true identity. I find it incredibly odd that you were perfectly willing to give Jay Leno credit for this essay, yet when you learn it wasn't Jay Leno ... you fail to name the real author of the essay you so admired.

Here is another link regarding the spam posted earlier: Some Unknown American, eh?

Then I'll fix it for you. Try re-reading it now. Is that better? :angry:

- written by some unknown American :D

You are amusing me! I had no trouble reading it the first time. Furthermore, I had no trouble finding the author's true identity. I find it incredibly odd that you were perfectly willing to give Jay Leno credit for this essay, yet when you learn it wasn't Jay Leno ... you fail to name the real author of the essay you so admired.

Here is another link regarding the spam posted earlier: Some Unknown American, eh?

OK now you made me read your link and I found out Craig R. Smith wrote it. I agree with Craig. Craig gets all the credit. Now are you happy? Knowing what I know now, I'll bump my opinion of Leno back down to where it was before I thought that he wrote that... :D Edited by TrailGators

Its always something.

Thanks,

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Pat,

Thanks for responding. Looks like I fixed it 'cause now I can access our local threads once again.

Here's the fix in case you need it one day ... Sandy and I attended a birthday party today for one

of our granddaughters. When we got home I checked and found that the problem went away.

No charge for the advisory.

Go figure,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Its always something.

Thanks,

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Pat,

Thanks for responding. Looks like I fixed it 'cause now I can access our local threads once again.

Here's the fix in case you need it one day ... Sandy and I attended a birthday party today for one

of our granddaughters. When we got home I checked and found that the problem went away.

No charge for the advisory.

Go figure,

Harmon

:D

A few George Carlin jokes in honor of the late George Carlin:

Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

What was the best thing before sliced bread?

What, you're not going to give us the seven words you can never say on a Geocaching forum?

What, you're not going to give us the seven words you can never say on a Geocaching forum?

:D Sure, here they are: dadgum, dadgum, dadgum, dadgum, dadgum, dadgum and dadgum! :D

* If you try to post any of those words, the site will convert them to "dadgum." Try it! :D

Edited by TrailGators

:D Sure here they are: dadgum, dadgum, dadgum, dadgum, dadgum, dadgum and dadgum! :D

I wonder if that's what Harmon sounds like when he's really mad. :D

OMG! I sure hope you did your research before posting that....

Did George Carlin REALLY tell those jokes???... :D

:D Sure here they are: dadgum, dadgum, dadgum, dadgum, dadgum, dadgum and dadgum! :D

Nope, when I'm really mad I get real quiet but seldom am I really mad.

It is, i was with him on a dnf

Yeah, I admit it, I did say "Shucks." "Dadgum" is for when I learn somethin' new ... or sometimes I say "Shazam."

Edited by SD Rowdies

:D Dadgummit! Was it Craig Whats-his-face that really said those? :D:DHere is the link. Read it and find out who really told those jokes! :D

homer_simpson_doh_02.gif

homer_simpson_doh_02.gif

:D

Growing up when I did (you know, just a couple of years ago) we had all the George Carlin albums (you know, albums...big black round flat things that came in a cardboard sleeve.) I went to see George Carlin in concert in college and I remember walking out with my sides and cheeks literally aching. So, here's a few of my favorites:

Perhaps the worst thing that can happen is to reach into the refrigerator and come out with something that you cannot identify at all. You literally do not know what it is. Could be meat, could be cake. Usually, at a time like that, I'll bluff. "Honey, is this good?" "Well, what is it?" "I don't know. I've never seen anything like it. It looks like...meatcake!" "Well, smell it." (snort, sniff) "It has absolutely no smell whatsoever!" "It's good! Put it back! Somebody is saving it. It'll turn up in something." That's what frightens me. That someone will consider it a challenge and use it just because it's in there.

It's a leftover. What a sad word that is. Leftover. How would you like to be...a leftover? Well, it wouldn't be bad if they were taking people out to be shot. I might even volunteer. But, y'know, leftovers make you feel good twice. D'ja ever think about that? When you first put them away, you feel really intelligent- "I'm saving food!" And then, after a month, when hair is growing out of them and you throw them away you feel...really intelligent- "I'm saving my life!"

The weather was dominated by a large Canadian low, which is not to be confused with a Mexican high. Tonight’s forecast . . . dark, continued mostly dark tonight turning to widely scattered light in the morning.
About this time, someone is telling you to get on the plane. "Get on the plane. Get on the plane." I say, "f*** you, I'm getting IN the plane! IN the plane! Let Evil Knievel get ON the plane! I'll be in here with you folks in uniform! There seems to be less WIND in here!

The next sentence I hear is full of things that piss me off. "Before leaving the aircraft, please check around your immediate seating area for any personal belongings you might have brought on board." Well, let's start with "immediate seating area." SEAT! It's a god d*** seat! Check around your seat! "For any personal belongings..." Well, what other kinds of belongings are there besides personal? PUBLIC belongings? Do these people honestly believe I might be traveling with a fountain I stole from the park? "... you might have brought on board." Well... I MIGHT have brought my arrowhead collection! I didn't. SO I'M NOT GOING TO LOOK FOR IT! I'm going to look for things I BROUGHT on board! It would seem to increase the likelihood of my finding something, wouldn't you say?

Here's one they just made up: "near miss". When two planes almost collide, they call it a near miss. It's a near hit. A collision is a near miss.

But the thing that I want to know is...did he get his two minute warning?

Growing up when I did (you know, just a couple of years ago) we had all the George Carlin albums (you know, albums...big black round flat things that came in a cardboard sleeve.) I went to see George Carlin in concert in college and I remember walking out with my sides and cheeks literally aching. So, here's a few of my favorites:
Perhaps the worst thing that can happen is to reach into the refrigerator and come out with something that you cannot identify at all. You literally do not know what it is. Could be meat, could be cake. Usually, at a time like that, I'll bluff. "Honey, is this good?" "Well, what is it?" "I don't know. I've never seen anything like it. It looks like...meatcake!" "Well, smell it." (snort, sniff) "It has absolutely no smell whatsoever!" "It's good! Put it back! Somebody is saving it. It'll turn up in something." That's what frightens me. That someone will consider it a challenge and use it just because it's in there.

It's a leftover. What a sad word that is. Leftover. How would you like to be...a leftover? Well, it wouldn't be bad if they were taking people out to be shot. I might even volunteer. But, y'know, leftovers make you feel good twice. D'ja ever think about that? When you first put them away, you feel really intelligent- "I'm saving food!" And then, after a month, when hair is growing out of them and you throw them away you feel...really intelligent- "I'm saving my life!"

The weather was dominated by a large Canadian low, which is not to be confused with a Mexican high. Tonight's forecast . . . dark, continued mostly dark tonight turning to widely scattered light in the morning.
About this time, someone is telling you to get on the plane. "Get on the plane. Get on the plane." I say, "f*** you, I'm getting IN the plane! IN the plane! Let Evil Knievel get ON the plane! I'll be in here with you folks in uniform! There seems to be less WIND in here!

The next sentence I hear is full of things that piss me off. "Before leaving the aircraft, please check around your immediate seating area for any personal belongings you might have brought on board." Well, let's start with "immediate seating area." SEAT! It's a god d*** seat! Check around your seat! "For any personal belongings..." Well, what other kinds of belongings are there besides personal? PUBLIC belongings? Do these people honestly believe I might be traveling with a fountain I stole from the park? "... you might have brought on board." Well... I MIGHT have brought my arrowhead collection! I didn't. SO I'M NOT GOING TO LOOK FOR IT! I'm going to look for things I BROUGHT on board! It would seem to increase the likelihood of my finding something, wouldn't you say?

Here's one they just made up: "near miss". When two planes almost collide, they call it a near miss. It's a near hit. A collision is a near miss.

But the thing that I want to know is...did he get his two minute warning?

:):D