San Diego Banter

TrailGators

Pardon me for butting in here, I'm not sure which thread to post this on, but here goes!

First, I want to THANK all the great San Diego cachers for coming up to Big Bear last weekend. It was truly the best event we've ever had and it's because of wonderful people like you. I had the best time and was so happy to finally many SD cachers that I have only known through the logs.

Second, during the event a cacher unknown to me said he found a nice knife at the food table. I am sorry that I don't know who the "FINDER" is, but I now know who the "OWNER" is, so if you found the knife please contact me.

Thanks for this interruption, you may return to normal posting! :huh::(;)

Pardon me for butting in here, I'm not sure which thread to post this on, but here goes!

Thanks for this interruption, you may return to normal posting! :huh::DB)

Butting in?! Congrats on the 2500th Banter post!! :(

On edit: err, 2501 - but the first of the new page! ;)

Edited by TFTC

For anyone thinking of doing any cache hunts in the Hollenbeck Canyon area, please be aware that Dove Season opens on September 1st and hunting with shotguns is allowed in this area. I never have had any problems out there but just better to be aware in case you happen to run into someone toting a shotgun.

For anyone thinking of doing any cache hunts in the Hollenbeck Canyon area, please be aware that Dove Season opens on September 1st and hunting with shotguns is allowed in this area. I never have had any problems out there but just better to be aware in case you happen to run into someone toting a shotgun.

Does Chuy! carry one with him while hunting for FTFs??? :D

He must. FTF's disappear faster than doves around here.

He must. FTF's disappear faster than doves around here.

6da1b95e-790c-420f-b5cf-2e28d0335c41.jpg

Harmon posted that new lesson and a bunch of people said they were interested but hardly anybody posted any geocaching photos applying the lesson. So it would be cool if some of you could do that otherwise Harmon may not make any more lessons..... :)
I love this stuff but I don't have photoshop :D ... or time :) ... but I just want to add my appreciation for the lessons! :)
Harmon posted that new lesson and a bunch of people said they were interested but hardly anybody posted any geocaching photos applying the lesson. So it would be cool if some of you could do that otherwise Harmon may not make any more lessons..... :)

Loved the lesson. Played with the concepts a little but didn't have anything that I felt was worth posting...only so many hours in the day, alas.

BTW, does this mean that if we don't post any photos, Harmon won't post any "enhancements"? (Somehow, I doubt it. I recently learned that Harmon is not above trolling through old photos to get material to post... :) )

Harmon posted that new lesson and a bunch of people said they were interested but hardly anybody posted any geocaching photos applying the lesson. So it would be cool if some of you could do that otherwise Harmon may not make any more lessons..... :D

Loved the lesson. Played with the concepts a little but didn't have anything that I felt was worth posting...only so many hours in the day, alas.

BTW, does this mean that if we don't post any photos, Harmon won't post any "enhancements"? (Somehow, I doubt it. I recently learned that Harmon is not above trolling through old photos to get material to post... :) )

I'm not sure. Let's do an experiment! :) Try posting a photo of yourself and let's see what happens.... :) Edited by TrailGators
Harmon posted that new lesson and a bunch of people said they were interested but hardly anybody posted any geocaching photos applying the lesson. So it would be cool if some of you could do that otherwise Harmon may not make any more lessons..... :(

BTW, does this mean that if we don't post any photos, Harmon won't post any "enhancements"? (Somehow, I doubt it. I recently learned that Harmon is not above trolling through old photos to get material to post... ;) )

Yeah, for sure, your profile gallery about six or seven pages deep to grab that Suphose shot of you.

I developed that skill while doing YMS layouts for FlagMan so bame it on him.

Harmon posted that new lesson and a bunch of people said they were interested but hardly anybody posted any geocaching photos applying the lesson. So it would be cool if some of you could do that otherwise Harmon may not make any more lessons..... :(

BTW, does this mean that if we don't post any photos, Harmon won't post any "enhancements"? (Somehow, I doubt it. I recently learned that Harmon is not above trolling through old photos to get material to post... ;) )

I'm not sure. Let's do an experiment! :D Try posting a photo of yourself and let's see what happens.... :)

... when you least expect it, another "enhancement."

By the way, I didn't miss the double-quotes dig either.

Those "enhancements" amount to Photoshop-lesson verifications in most cases. Other cases I just can't help myself so go ahead and try me.

Edited by SD Rowdies
I love this stuff but I don't have photoshop :lol: ... or time :( ... but I just want to add my appreciation for the lessons! :)
I ran across a free photo editing program that you can download from the web called Gimp. It looks like an imitation of Photoshop and has many of the same features. :)
I love this stuff but I don't have photoshop :huh: ... or time :huh: ... but I just want to add my appreciation for the lessons! :huh:
I ran across a free photo editing program that you can download from the web called Gimp. It looks like an imitation of Photoshop and has many of the same features. B)

One of the best things about The GIMP is that it works with Linux, that and the price is right.

I love this stuff but I don't have photoshop :huh: ... or time :huh: ... but I just want to add my appreciation for the lessons! :huh:
I ran across a free photo editing program that you can download from the web called Gimp. It looks like an imitation of Photoshop and has many of the same features. B)

So Pat, you need to be the front-runner and discover how good the GIMP program is. I did a quick inquiry on Amazon.com and found two or three GIMP user books. Originally intended for UNIX/LINUX operating systems I suppose.

I'm deeply invested in Adobe Photoshop of course, for good reasons such as product quality and growth, product support, tutorials and videos, knowledge base, and availability of professional authors. All depends on need and interest.

Maybe GIMP has some unique features that will complement Photoshop CS3 and Corel Paint Shop Pro XI.

So Pat, you need to be the front-runner and discover how good the GIMP program is. I did a quick inquiry on Amazon.com and found two or three GIMP user books. Originally intended for UNIX/LINUX operating systems I suppose.

I'm deeply invested in Adobe Photoshop of course, for good reasons such as product quality and growth, product support, tutorials and videos, knowledge base, and availability of professional authors. All depends on need and interest.

Maybe GIMP has some unique features that will complement Photoshop CS3 and Corel Paint Shop Pro XI.

Harmon, I would also rather learn/use Photoshop myself. I mentioned it as a way that people that don't have Photoshop could participate in the photo fun for free. B)
Harmon posted that new lesson and a bunch of people said they were interested but hardly anybody posted any geocaching photos applying the lesson. So it would be cool if some of you could do that otherwise Harmon may not make any more lessons..... :huh:
I love this stuff but I don't have photoshop :( ... or time :huh: ... but I just want to add my appreciation for the lessons! B)

Harmon, I would also rather learn/use Photoshop myself. I mentioned it as a way that people that don't have Photoshop could participate in the photo fun for free. :huh:

Pat, for sure, a good idea. I'll read through the user manual and see what features there are.

There is a huge rock near a gravel pit on Hwy. 25 in rural Iowa. For generations, kids have painted slogans, names, and obscenities on this rock, changing its character many times. A few months back, the rock received its latest paint job, and since then it has been left completely undisturbed. It's quite an impressive sight.

81042964xx8.jpg

22485873ta8.jpg

25454362ku8.jpg

56390778ba3.jpg

There is a huge rock near a gravel pit on Hwy. 25 in rural Iowa. For generations, kids have painted slogans, names, and obscenities on this rock, changing its character many times. A few months back, the rock received its latest paint job, and since then it has been left completely undisturbed. It's quite an impressive sight.

81042964xx8.jpg

22485873ta8.jpg

25454362ku8.jpg

56390778ba3.jpg

HEY! I've been there!! No red footballs and no flag-swag...

During the fires, it has been good for some, bad for others. My son and I have been in jail twice today!

5fab0dfb-d7d6-4c0b-ab53-bb753a62ae20.jpg

Since we opted to stay home, we had a fun game of Monopoly. Kids have been in their PJ's all day. Glad to finally be out of jail and collecting rents from Boardwalk and Park Place!! :)

Edited by kawikaturn
During the fires, it has been good for some, bad for others. My son and I have been in jail twice today!

Since we opted to stay home, we had a fun game of Monopoy. Kids have been in their PJ's all day. Glad to finally be out of jail and collecting rents from Boardwalk and Park Place!! :)

I think that there is a FATTBOY cache behind the jail. Did you stop and sign the log? :)

Figured this would be a good thread for this post. I know that Ginger! has had the rattlesnake avoidance class on two occassions and has never been bitten. I think the cost was around $100. One of my dogs got bit by a rattlesnake last Thursday and I now know that they charge $500 a vial for antivenin. My dog spent one night at the vet, had antibiotics, pain meds, IV's and then came home $1388 later. Now she is back at the vet for more antivenin, a drain will be placed due to the large amount of drainage coming from her neck, more IV's and pain meds. I'm thinking that in the future the rattlesnake avoidance classes are something that I will be looking into. All dog owners that take their pooches with them on geocaching hikes might want to do likewise. I was just walking my dog by the swap meet in Spring Valley. At least my dog will be O.K. and only one of the 4 got bit.

Figured this would be a good thread for this post. I know that Ginger! has had the rattlesnake avoidance class on two occassions and has never been bitten. I think the cost was around $100. One of my dogs got bit by a rattlesnake last Thursday and I now know that they charge $500 a vial for antivenin. My dog spent one night at the vet, had antibiotics, pain meds, IV's and then came home $1388 later. Now she is back at the vet for more antivenin, a drain will be placed due to the large amount of drainage coming from her neck, more IV's and pain meds. I'm thinking that in the future the rattlesnake avoidance classes are something that I will be looking into. All dog owners that take their pooches with them on geocaching hikes might want to do likewise. I was just walking my dog by the swap meet in Spring Valley. At least my dog will be O.K. and only one of the 4 got bit.
Sorry to hear about your dog, but I'm glad that it doing better. If I ever get a geodog (instead of a house dog), I will find those classes and have the dog take them. My sister recently lost a cairn terrier. She lives on a small farm and the dog was bitten on the tongue buy either a Cottonmouth or a Copperhead, when I must have tried to bite it. Cairns are pretty brave. Anyhow, nobody knew anything was wrong because the poor dog laid down to sleep when it got home and never woke up. :D

Since we opted to stay home, we had a fun game of Monopoly. Kids have been in their PJ's all day. Glad to finally be out of jail and collecting rents from Boardwalk and Park Place!! :D

Wow Kawikaturn those kids are sure looking older then when I last saw them. College expenses are right around the corner and it hurts believe me! RM

FWIW -- This year GEO-K9-Betsy! received the rattlesnake vaccine -- While its not a cure, it might minimize the reaction, until professional care is received. Hopefully this vaccine will improve over time. Betsy's regular vet doesn't carry it, but we found it Animal Care Clinic -- 2650 Jamacha Rd # 159 , El Cajon, California. (619) 670-8700 --- Cost is $25 for each injection. After the initial 4 weeks(?) for the booster, then yearly after. Walk ins accepted, call ahead for availability.

Here is a blurb from UC Davis -

http://www.vmth.ucdavis.edu/vmth/clientinf...accinproto.html

The canine rattlesnake vaccine comprises venom components from Crotalus atrox (western diamondback). Although a rattlesnake vaccine may be potentially useful for dogs that frequently encounter rattlesnakes, currently we are unable to recommend this vaccine because of insufficient information regarding the efficacy of the vaccine in dogs. Dogs develop neutralizing antibody titers to C. atrox venom, and may also develop antibody titers to components of other rattlesnake venoms, but research in this area is ongoing. Owners of vaccinated dogs must still seek veterinary care immediately in the event of a bite, because 1) the type of snake is often unknown; 2) antibody titers may be overwhelmed in the face of severe envenomation, and 3) an individual dog may lack sufficient protection depending on its response to the vaccine and the time elapsed since vaccination. According to the manufacturer, to date, rare vaccinated dogs have died following a bite when there were substantial delays (12-24 hours) in seeking treatment. Recommendations for booster vaccination are still under development, but it appears that adequate titers do not persist beyond one year after vaccination. Adverse reactions appear to be low and consistent with those resulting from vaccination with other products available on the market. The product licence is currently conditional as efficacy and potency have not been fully demonstrated. Based on existing evidence, the UC Davis VMTH does not currently recommend routine vaccination of dogs for rattlesnake envenomation, and the vaccine is not stocked by our pharmacy.

O.K., Add $2100 to the previous $1388 and I have the dog back home with the giantic backwards lampshade on her head that she seems not to enjoy much. Chuy! I think you need to post a link to where Ginger! took her rattlesnake avoidance classes because I will have 2 enrollees for the Spring class.

O.K., Add $2100 to the previous $1388 and I have the dog back home with the giantic backwards lampshade on her head that she seems not to enjoy much. Chuy! I think you need to post a link to where Ginger! took her rattlesnake avoidance classes because I will have 2 enrollees for the Spring class.

That snake set you back $3488? :)

That snake set you back $3488? :)

And Counting. Next appt. is Wednesday for the drain removal. Oh. Please be free.

That snake set you back $3488? :mad:

And Counting. Next appt. is Wednesday for the drain removal. Oh. Please be free.

Shouldn't this last post be in the Whiner's Thread? And be honest . . . you know that you gladly paid it and it was worth every penny. :D

BTW, I feel your pain. I spent about the same last month on one of ours for removal of an adipose tumor.

Just happened to spot this log for a cache over in AZ... :D

Our most expensive cache to date...

Started out with a nice stoll through the tall grass to the cache site. Jasmin bounding around trying to catch the many grasshoppers jumping around, just having a grand ol' time. After finding the cache we came across a small mound of old abandoned bunny holes...Jasmin on the other side we heard a yelp and then the rattle. Yup, Jasmin got bit by a huge rattlesnake! Joe was the only one to see it, as we figured we'd better get Jasmin to a vet asap! He said it was about 3 feet long and all coiled up. Poor Jasmin musta scared him bad as we got no warning rattle. As we drove towards SV I started making calls to find out where we needed to go... and believe it or not... SV has no emergency services for animals!!! Can you believe that?! NO ER SERVICE! So with poor Jasmin's face and neck swelling up we headed to Tucson. Well $2083.46 and 24 hours later, Jasmin is home resting up. Turns out that her bite wasn't so bad and that her size helped her a bit. She only needed one vial of anitvenom, which was $700 in itself. Her blood clotting counts were a little off at first then quickly came within the normal range. Even though it was only one night from home, we sure did miss our shadow.

Started out with a nice stoll through the tall grass to the cache site. Jasmin bounding around trying to catch the many grasshoppers jumping around, just having a grand ol' time. After finding the cache we came across a small mound of old abandoned bunny holes...Jasmin on the other side we heard a yelp and then the rattle. Yup, Jasmin got bit by a huge rattlesnake! Joe was the only one to see it, as we figured we'd better get Jasmin to a vet asap! He said it was about 3 feet long and all coiled up. Poor Jasmin musta scared him bad as we got no warning rattle. As we drove towards SV I started making calls to find out where we needed to go... and believe it or not... SV has no emergency services for animals!!! Can you believe that?! NO ER SERVICE! So with poor Jasmin's face and neck swelling up we headed to Tucson. Well $2083.46 and 24 hours later, Jasmin is home resting up. Turns out that her bite wasn't so bad and that her size helped her a bit. She only needed one vial of anitvenom, which was $700 in itself. Her blood clotting counts were a little off at first then quickly came within the normal range. Even though it was only one night from home, we sure did miss our shadow.

I knew it. It's an epidemic. All the rattlesnakes in the southwest are joining forces to attack dogs.

I knew it. It's an epidemic. All the rattlesnakes in the southwest are joining forces to attack dogs.

Not to cut too fine a point but isn't it so that the snakes are defending themselves?

Years back Stu of Wallyballers lost one of two Shelties to snake bite outside their home. They took their remaining Shelty to a snake awareness class, and renewed the training annually. Basically the training involved exposing the dog to live snakes under controlled field conditions while instilling avoidance behaviors. Problem with snake training is that you'll never know if the training degrades until the dog is bitten.

In the end a leash is more effective during snake season cause it keeps working year after year for a one-time outlay of a few dollars. Untethered dogs in truck beds, unleashed dogs during snake season ... what's wrong with those ideas?

Edited by SD Rowdies

MENTAL HOSPITAL PHONE MENU

Hello and thank you for calling The State Mental Hospital

Please select from the following options menu:

If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly.

If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2 for you.

If you have multiple personalities, press 3, 4, 5 and 6.

If you are paranoid, we know who you are and what you want, stay on the

line so we can trace your call.

If you are delusional, press 7 and your call will be forwarded to the

Mother Ship.

If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a little voice will tell

you which number to press.

If you are manic-depressive, it doesn't matter which number you press,

nothing will make you happy anyway.

If you are dyslexic, press 9696969696969696.

If you are bipolar, please leave a message after the beep or before the

beep or after the beep. Please wait for the beep.

If you have short-term memory loss, press 9. If you have short-term

memory loss, press 9. If you have short-term memory loss, press 9.

If you have low self-esteem, please hang up our operators are too busy

to talk with you.

If you are menopausal, put the gun down, hang up, turn on the fan, lie

down and cry. You won't be crazy forever.

If you are blonde, don't press any buttons, you'll just mess it up.

This coming week is National Mental Health Care week.

You can do your part by remembering to contact at least one unstable

person to show you care.

Well, my job is done ....Your turn

If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly.

If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2 for you.

If you have multiple personalities, press 3, 4, 5 and 6.

If you are paranoid, we know who you are and what you want, stay on the

line so we can trace your call.

If you are delusional, press 7 and your call will be forwarded to the

Mother Ship.

If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a little voice will tell

you which number to press.

If you are manic-depressive, it doesn't matter which number you press,

nothing will make you happy anyway.

If you are dyslexic, press 9696969696969696.

If you are bipolar, please leave a message after the beep or before the

beep or after the beep. Please wait for the beep.

If you have short-term memory loss, press 9. If you have short-term

memory loss, press 9. If you have short-term memory loss, press 9.

If you have low self-esteem, please hang up our operators are too busy

to talk with you.

If you are menopausal, put the gun down, hang up, turn on the fan, lie

down and cry. You won't be crazy forever.

If you are blonde, don't press any buttons, you'll just mess it up.

This coming week is National Mental Health Care week.

You can do your part by remembering to contact at least one unstable

person to show you care.

Well, my job is done ....Your turn

0002006E.gif

They forgot:

If you are a Geocacher, press the number you get by taking the digits of pi, using them to telephone Greta Garbo, asking her what's the middle name of Hank (founder of Where's George), adding the digits of that name (using kabbalistic numerology) together, dividing the result by the second digit of the latitude of a certain cache that Groundspeak won't let you see the listing of because it's "archived" (Groundspeak doublespeak for "censored"), using that digit as if it were the rebus picture of an ex-assistant-undersecretary of commerce and dividing that official's number of years of government service by 37, discarding the result and bushwhacking 8.273 miles at a bearing of 32 deg. 59 min. 2 sec. from true north, starting from the Spreckels Organ Pavillion, and then choosing a number at random. And please hide it as well as you found it. Check your answer here: http://www.SoylentGreenIsMuggles!!!.com

Edited by LeoGeo

They forgot:

If you are a Geocacher, press the number you get by taking the digits of pi, using them to telephone Greta Garbo, asking her what's the middle name of Hank (founder of Where's George), adding the digits of that name (using kabbalistic numerology) together, dividing the result by the second digit of the latitude of a certain cache that Groundspeak won't let you see the listing of because it's "archived" (Groundspeak doublespeak for "censored"), using that digit as if it were the rebus picture of an ex-assistant-undersecretary of commerce and dividing that official's number of years of government service by 37, discarding the result and bushwhacking 8.273 miles at a bearing of 32 deg. 59 min. 2 sec. from true north, starting from the Spreckels Organ Pavillion, and then choosing a number at random. And please hide it as well as you found it. Check your answer here: http://www.SoylentGreenIsMuggles!!!.com

:(

When you have a "I Hate My Job" day, try this:

On your way home from work, stop at your pharmacy and go to the thermometer section and purchase a rectal thermometer made by Johnson & Johnson. Be very sure you get this brand.

When you get home, lock your doors, draw the curtains and disconnect the phone so you will not be disturbed. Change into very comfortable clothing and sit in your favorite chair. Open the package and remove the thermometer. Now, carefully place it on a table or a surface so that it will not become chipped or broken.

Now the fun part begins. Take out the literature from the box and read it carefully. You will notice that in small print there is a statement: "Every Rectal Thermometer made by Johnson & Johnson is personally tested and then sanitized".

Now, close your eyes and repeat out loud five times, "I am so glad I do not work in the thermometer quality control at Johnson & Johnson."

HAVE A NICE DAY AND REMEMBER, THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE ELSE WITH A JOB THAT IS MORE OF A PAIN IN THE A** THAN YOURS . . . . .

:D They do that there?!

Once while hiking through the wooded section of that trail large-caliber pistol shots range out at very close range. I froze in my tracks not knowing which direction the shots were being fired. I shouted to make my presence known. The shooting stopped. Hopefully I saved the life of a signpost or tin can or two.

Turned out to be a guy that works at a ranch east of Hollenbeck, out shooting at nothing in particular along a public hiking trail that has limited visibility through that wooded section. There's an off-trail Geocache quite near the incident by the way. I conversed with him as we passed. He sounded like a Rush Limbaugh impersonator and quickly filled me in on his solutions for World problems, you know, as opposed to offering a drug deal.

Scawy on two or three counts! Wear body armor on Hollenbeck trails.

No doubt the shooter was the same guy that tests rectal thermometers for Johnson & Johnson.

Edited by SD Rowdies