San Diego Banter

TrailGators

Lesson 16, Part 1 is ready for release along with the previously completed Introduction and Discussion sections. Of course I'll finish the other two parts before posting the lesson.

Part one looks pretty darned good even if I say so myself. As a hands-on introduction to color-correction and sharpening using Lab color mode it will surely please participants with their results. My guess is that the lesson will boost the image-editing skill of participants.

Youda man!

Lesson 16, Part 1 is ready for release along with the previously completed Introduction and Discussion sections. Of course I'll finish the other two parts before posting the lesson.

Part one looks pretty darned good even if I say so myself. As a hands-on introduction to color-correction and sharpening using Lab color mode it will surely please participants with their results. My guess is that the lesson will boost the image-editing skill of participants.

I've been out of email range for a week or so -- count me in with CS2!

Lesson 16, Part 3 has to be written, everything else is ready to go

after proof reading. Part 2 is going to make you giggle with glee

because it is so surprisingly easy for such a good result.

Shouldn't take much longer but the Wednesday Geobabe run comes

on Tuesday this week. You know how it is, without me the Geobabes

would just get into a whole lot of trouble. Somebody has to look

after them.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

So this cute couple is walking down the street towards the Courthouse to get their marriage license when they are struck down and both instantly killed. They find themselves together at St. Peter's gate and, while waiting in line, decide they want to see if they can get married in Heaven. So they ask St. Peter if this is possible. St. Peter says he needs to check and leaves the gate to find out. After quite a while (a month or two, actually), the couple starts to doubt the whole eternity thing, and they decide to ask St. Peter if divorce is also possible in Heaven. A little while later St. Peter returns and announces that, yes, marriage is possible in Heaven. So the couple then ask him if divorce is possible. St. Peter, in his most surly voice, says, "Holy Mother of Jesus, it took me 3-months to find a priest up here -- how long do you think it will take to find a freaking lawyer!!"

So this cute couple is walking down the street towards the Courthouse to get their marriage license when they are struck down and both instantly killed. They find themselves together at St. Peter's gate and, while waiting in line, decide they want to see if they can get married in Heaven. So they ask St. Peter if this is possible. St. Peter says he needs to check and leaves the gate to find out. After quite a while (a month or two, actually), the couple starts to doubt the whole eternity thing, and they decide to ask St. Peter if divorce is also possible in Heaven. A little while later St. Peter returns and announces that, yes, marriage is possible in Heaven. So the couple then ask him if divorce is possible. St. Peter, in his most surly voice, says, "Holy Mother of Jesus, it took me 3-months to find a priest up here -- how long do you think it will take to find a freaking lawyer!!"

I'll give that one an "8.5" mark... <_<:D<_<

For several years a man was having an affair with an Italian woman. One

night, she confided in him that she was pregnant. Not wanting to ruin

his reputation or his marriage, he paid her a large sum of money if she

would go to Italy to secretly have the child. If she stayed in Italy to

raise the child, he would also provide child support until the child

turned 18. She agreed, but asked how he would know when the baby was

born. To keep it discrete, he told her to simply mail him a post card,

and write "Spaghetti" on the back. He would then arrange for the child

support payments to begin.

One day, about 9 months later, he came home to his confused wife.

"Honey," she said, "you received a very strange post card today." "Oh,

just give it to me and I'll explain it later," he said. The wife obeyed

and watched as her husband read the card, turned white, and fainted.

On the card was written: "Spaghetti, Spaghetti, Spaghetti, Spaghetti,

Spaghetti. Three with meatballs, two without. Send extra sauce."

San Diego Banter Photoshop Lesson 16 is finished as promised.

Download the Microsoft Word document using this link.

Photoshop Lessons by SD Rowdies

Hyperlinks for Lesson 16 source images are included within the document.

Adobe Photoshop CS2 or CS3 is needed for Lesson 16.

The lesson is an introduction to color-correction and sharpening in Lab color mode.

No guarantees on usefulness or accuracy. Waddaya expect for free?

WARNING: Lesson 16 will make your eyes cross and your teeth fall out. Do something else with your spare time.

Edited by SD Rowdies

The lesson is an introduction to color-correction and sharpening in Lab color mode.

WARNING: Lesson 16 will make your eyes cross and your teeth fall out. Do something else with your spare time.

WOW, Harmon - what an amazing job you've done with this lesson!! I might just have to talk hubby into buying me the full version of Photoshop so I can really benefit from this...again I say WOW!!

WOW, Harmon - what an amazing job you've done with this lesson!! I might just have to talk hubby into buying me the full version of Photoshop so I can really benefit from this...again I say WOW!!

Laurie,

Find Bill a night job, maybe where Rooster took a night job to support Snake's interests.

Thanks for the compliment. If it's all that good maybe I should read it.

Aren't you lucky to be in the Part 3 source photo? How did you work that out?

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Laurie,

Find Bill a night job, maybe where Rooster took a night job to support Snake's interests.

Harmon

Now, Harmon, don't go suggesting a night job for hubby - I don't get nearly enough time with him as it is!! We're still newlyweds, remember? :P

As for being in the source photo, I reckon that's just the way it goes...being short usually means I get stuck in front and the picture comes out blurry. :laughing: It's a great photo for practicing your creative-cropping techniques...! :laughing:

Laurie,

Harmon

Now, Harmon, don't go suggesting a night job for hubby - I don't get nearly enough time with him as it is!! We're still newlyweds, remember? :P

As for being in the source photo, I reckon that's just the way it goes...being short usually means I get stuck in front and the picture comes out blurry. :laughing: It's a great photo for practicing your creative-cropping techniques...! :laughing:

Sheesh, now you sound like Rooster, only more gentle. ... her response had something to do with Hell freezing over. Hmm, interesting, you and Rooster are about the same height, er, short?

Edited by SD Rowdies
Looks great Harmon! I can't wait to roll up my shirt sleeves later and give it a whirl! Thanks Harmon! :laughing:

As long as you are rolling up your sleeves, don't forget to scrunch down your socks... :laughing:

My wife bought me some special chopped off socks so I don't forget to do that anymore... :P Edited by TrailGators
Looks great Harmon! I can't wait to roll up my shirt sleeves later and give it a whirl! Thanks Harmon! :laughing:

As long as you are rolling up your sleeves, don't forget to scrunch down your socks... :P

My wife bought me some special chopped off socks so I don't forget to do that anymore... :laughing:

So she bought some girlie socks that didn't fit her, is that the deal?

Looks great Harmon! I can't wait to roll up my shirt sleeves later and give it a whirl! Thanks Harmon! :D

As long as you are rolling up your sleeves, don't forget to scrunch down your socks... :P

My wife bought me some special chopped off socks so I don't forget to do that anymore... :laughing:

Nope. Got 'em in the Men's department. All the guys wear them now! :P Don't they?! Is there a short sock police too? :laughing: Edited by TrailGators
Looks great Harmon! I can't wait to roll up my shirt sleeves later and give it a whirl! Thanks Harmon! :D

Nope. Got 'em in the Men's department. All the guys wear them now! :laughing: Don't they?! Is there a short sock police too? :P

With pink lace around the top, yes indeed.

Nope. Got 'em in the Men's department. All the guys wear them now! :D Don't they?! Is there a short sock police too? :P

:laughing:

Nope. Got 'em in the Men's department. All the guys wear them now! :D Don't they?! Is there a short sock police too? :P

:laughing:

Hmmmmm, do they actually sell men's clothes in that men's department?

{Proud wearer of thick burly-man winter socks, no matter the time of the year}{Oh wait, those aren't socks, seems my full body wax is a bit out of date!}

I just completed Part 1. Then I applied Part 1 on a photo I took of Team Adelos that I took on the top of Lawson Peak. The difference is amazing! :cry:

Here is the original photo:

tabeforewp4.jpg

Here is the photo after Harmon's Magic Lesson 16, Part 1:

taafterfb3.jpg

I just completed Part 1. Then I applied Part 1 on a photo I took of Team Adelos that I took on the top of Lawson Peak. The difference is amazing! :cry:

tabeforewp4.jpg

taafterfb3.jpg

Pat,

Glad to see that somebody is giving Lesson 16 a try. Putting some color snap into that shot sure

brought out detail in the boulders and brush of that middle-distance hill. The after shot makes me

think that the photo was taken under a very bright and hot sun.

I really like the way that L-Channel sharpening doesn't introduce color halos at image edges.

Good going. Were the Part 1 procedural steps clear enough?

Funny thing, I never noticed until now that Team Adelos had a bow-legged member. Also I see

that he figured out how to sneak past the San Diego County Unbunched Sock Police.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
Good going, were the Part 1 procedural steps clear enough? Harmon
Hi Harmon, the steps were clear for me. Thanks again for putting that together. You should write a book! :cry:

After doing the first part, I've been messing with those new tools to try to fix this photo.

A lot of my photos come out looking like this: :cry:

washedoutsr0.jpg

Edited by TrailGators
Good going, were the Part 1 procedural steps clear enough? Harmon
Hi Harmon, the steps were clear for me. Thanks again for putting that together. You should write a book! :cry:

After doing the first part, I've been messing with those new tools to try to fix this photo.

A lot of my photos come out looking like this: :cry:

washedoutjo3.jpg

Cool, the opposite problem. I'll have a go at it and post some comments.

87711fcd-fda7-44b9-b427-242a3dfe95b0.jpg

So here's a quick-and-dirty enhancement that helps somewhat. The tough part of this one is

that the sky and the foreground part of the trail were actually burned in. Result is that there isn't

any hidden detail in those two areas to work with

Much like Lesson 16, Part 1 just convert to Lab mode, duplicate the background layer, and then

set Layer 1 Blend Mode to Multiply. After that do the other stuff to increase color and lightness

range and L-Channel sharpen. Of course you can go darker by duplicatiing the Multiply layer

once more and fine tune with that layer's Opacity slider.

For the sky I activated a new layer below Layer 1 and pasted a sky that I swiped by Selecting

and Ctrl-C'ing it from another image entirely, then Ctrl-V'ed it onto that new layer which must be

below Layer 1 in the stacking order. Once that is done then click the Layer 1 eyeball icon and

adjust the "This layer" slider to the left in order to replace Layer 1 sky with the one on the layer

below as described elsewhere in Lesson 16.

As far as the burned-in trail is concerned one could darken it a bit but in this extreme case I just

left it as is.

Odd that you are experiencing bad exposures with your camera. By any chance does one of your

fingers wander over the little exposure window when taking pictures? If you took the shot out near

Carveacre then maybe Cross-Eyed Booger Flies were landing on the exposure wiindow of your

camera now and then. Y' might want to fumigate your camera case.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
Odd that you are experiencing bad exposures with your camera. By any chance does one of your fingers wander over the little exposure window when taking pictures? Harmon
I'm not sure if my finger did that or not, but the camera is tiny so I could easily be doing that and not even know it. That looks better. Thanks for the quick tip! :P
Odd that you are experiencing bad exposures with your camera. By any chance does one of your fingers wander over the little exposure window when taking pictures?
I'm not sure if my finger did that or not, but the camera is tiny so I could easily be doing that and not even know it. That looks better. Thanks for the quick tip! :P

Could be but one thang f'r shore, don't be exposing anythang at all when them Booger Flies are about. A swarm of them testy little critters'l teach y' a whole new way o' walkin'.

Hope you're havng fun with the lesson. Good going.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
I was looking around at some 5/5 caches and ran into this photo that made me laugh. Never mind where it is, guess what country it is in! (yes, that is right).

1700553_500.JPG

I hope you all enjoy this one! :grin:

Well we know it's someone in the north because these guys have gotten very little sun. My guess would be somewhere in Scandinavia....

I was looking around at some 5/5 caches and ran into this photo that made me laugh. Never mind where it is, guess what country it is in! (yes, that is right).

1700553_500.JPG

I hope you all enjoy this one! :grin:

What is that thing, a bicycle on a surf board? Its a surfcycle!©

I emailed the owner about it.... he calls it a "self made pedal-boat". They could have a market here!

here is another photo of the "pedal-boat". That is the hint of where it is!

1700553_200.JPG

Edited by kawikaturn

I emailed the owner about it.... he calls it a "self made pedal-boat". They could have a market here!

1700553_200.JPG

Is that a fiord?

By the way, it looks like that guy wearing a bikini top.... :grin:

1700553_200.JPG

Is that a fiord?

Think "ultimate driving machine" ... How would it look out on mission bay / sail bay! All we need is a couple old surf boards and a bike and a welder!

1700553_200.JPG

Is that a fiord?

Think "ultimate driving machine" ... How would it look out on mission bay / sail bay! All we need is a couple old surf boards and a bike and a welder!

:grin: I got an old bike...Skillet is a welder....we're 1/2 way there. :grin:

1700553_200.JPG

Is that a fiord?

By the way, it looks like that guy wearing a bikini top.... :lol:

What you got there is a bicycle and two surf boards on a roof rack...what they aren't showing is that under the water, there is a Ford Explorer attached to that roof rack... :lol:

1700553_200.JPG

Is that a fiord?

What you got there is a bicycle and two surf boards on a roof rack...what they aren't showing is that under the water, there is a Ford Explorer attached to that roof rack... :lol:

Or is it a fiord Explorer! I have an extra surfboard!

1700553_200.JPG

Is that a fiord?

Fiord Explorer.... ;)

1700553_200.JPG

Is that a fiord?

Fiord Explorer.... ;)

Fiord Explorer and the Surfcycle... Love it!

This has nothing to do with Harmon or his lesson 16 (but maybe??) :):):)

A bus carrying only ugly people crashes into an oncoming truck, and everyone inside dies. As they stand at the Pearly Gates waiting to enter Paradise and meet their maker, God decides to grant each person one wish because of the grief they have experienced.

They're all lined up, and God asks the first one what the wish is. "I want to be gorgeous," and so God snaps His fingers, and it is done. The second one in line hears this and says "I want to be gorgeous too." Another snap of His fingers and the wish is granted.

This goes on for a while with each one asking to be gorgeous, but when God is halfway down the line, the last guy in the line starts laughing.

When there are only ten people left, this guy is rolling on the floor, laughing his head off.

Finally, God reaches this last guy and asks him what his wish will be. The guy eventually calms down and says:

"Make 'em all ugly again."

This has nothing to do with Harmon or his lesson 16 (but maybe??) :o:D:D

A bus carrying only ugly people crashes into an oncoming truck, and everyone inside dies. As they stand at the Pearly Gates waiting to enter Paradise and meet their maker, God decides to grant each person one wish because of the grief they have experienced.

They're all lined up, and God asks the first one what the wish is. "I want to be gorgeous," and so God snaps His fingers, and it is done. The second one in line hears this and says "I want to be gorgeous too." Another snap of His fingers and the wish is granted.

This goes on for a while with each one asking to be gorgeous, but when God is halfway down the line, the last guy in the line starts laughing.

When there are only ten people left, this guy is rolling on the floor, laughing his head off.

Finally, God reaches this last guy and asks him what his wish will be. The guy eventually calms down and says:

"Make 'em all ugly again."

Good one! :)
I just completed Part 1. Then I applied Part 1 on a photo I took of Team Adelos that I took on the top of Lawson Peak. The difference is amazing! :D

tabeforewp4.jpg

taafterfb3.jpg

Pat,

Glad to see that somebody is giving Lesson 16 a try. Putting some color snap into that shot sure

brought out detail in the boulders and brush of that middle-distance hill. The after shot makes me

think that the photo was taken under a very bright and hot sun.

I really like the way that L-Channel sharpening doesn't introduce color halos at image edges.

Good going. Were the Part 1 procedural steps clear enough?

Funny thing, I never noticed until now that Team Adelos had a bow-legged member. Also I see

that he figured out how to sneak past the San Diego County Unbunched Sock Police.

Harmon

Hmm.. Funny to see myself posted. I thought the picture looked good, but my mid-section still looks big.?. lol