San Diego Banter

TrailGators

Came across this tonight just before dinner...

09b16213-3eb5-453d-a4f3-a5d39aae2c8c.jpg

Send it to Leno...

Forget the filled/willed tortillas, I'm still wondering if a chicken mole is anything like a chicken shrew? Doesn't sound very tasty to me. :ph34r:

Down in Alabama they raise the moles right along with the chickens. Moles taste just like chicken I'm told. Try 'em, you'll like 'em ... deboned, detoothed, declawed, and delicious.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Try 'em with Avogadro dip.

76d792f8-8612-4f48-bfc4-2c580c1e3d31.jpg

This reminds of a beautiful mathematical fact...

If you raise pi to the power of e, and examine the fractional part of the result, you'll find this series of numbers: 31415926539.

The reason that this is such a beautiful thing is that it shows that it is possible to have your pi and e it too!

OK,( If you say so) amide%20h.gif

If you raise pi to the power of e, and examine the fractional part of the result, you'll find this series of numbers: 31415926539.

The reason that this is such a beautiful thing is that it shows that it is possible to have your pi and e it too!

Hmmmm, the last digit should be a 5, LLOT. :(

Try 'em with Avogadro dip.

76d792f8-8612-4f48-bfc4-2c580c1e3d31.jpg

But can you tell how many moles of an ideal gas that you will make after eating that pi? :( Edited by TrailGators

Hmmmm, the last digit should be a 5, LLOT. :laughing:

Yeah, it should have been...I was tired when I wrote that... :(

And now to something different... <_<:D

On several occasions I've seen cache containers chewed up by the local wildlife - most likely because once upon a time the container had food in it. My question is - What do you use to clean out/neutralize the smell from a container that used to contain edible items, such as M&M tubes, nuts etc.???

And now to something different... <_<:D

On several occasions I've seen cache containers chewed up by the local wildlife - most likely because once upon a time the container had food in it. My question is - What do you use to clean out/neutralize the smell from a container that used to contain edible items, such as M&M tubes, nuts etc.???

Googling the problem produces lots of hits for baking soda. Makes sense because baking soda is commonly used to deodorize refrigerators and the olde-timey ice boxes.

Deodorize with baking soda

So now, how about some good cookie recipes?

Edited by SD Rowdies
And now to something different... :D:D

I pretty sure that no animals will be mistaking your cache for food after you spritz some of this on it!

03055.jpg

(BTW, that is a real brand name. Would I make this up? <_< )

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

I pretty sure that no animals will be mistaking your cache for food after you spritz some of this on it!

03055.jpg

:D

03055.jpg

:D

Why I oughta ....

Googling the problem produces lots of hits for baking soda. Makes sense because baking soda is commonly used to deodorize refrigerators and the olde-timey ice boxes.

Hey Harmon not a cookie recipe but maybe you'd like this one

Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe

1/2 ripe medium pineapple, peeled, cored, eyes removed and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds (about 4 or 5 slices)

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter

3/4 cup light brown sugar

14 pecan halves

1 cup cake flour (not self-rising)

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup granulated sugar

2 eggs

1 cup buttermilk

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 tablespoon dark rum

4 fresh cherries, halved and pits removed

Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet, over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and stir to combine.

Increase the heat to medium high and cook until the sugar mixture is bubbly, about 2 minutes. Arrange pineapple slices in

the skillet in a pleasing pattern and continue to cook for 2 minutes, or until the sugar mixture turns an amber color.

Turn the pineapple slices over and remove the pan from the heat. (The mixture will continue to cook even though the heat

is off.) Arrange the pecan halves in the spaces between the rings. Set aside to cool slightly.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Stir together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the remaining 1/2 cup butter and the granulated sugar until light and fluffy

. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, mixing just until incorporated. Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately in 3 batches,

mixing at low speed after each addition until just combined. Stir in the vanilla and rum.

Spoon the batter evenly over the pineapple slices in the skillet. Bake in the middle of the oven until golden brown and a

tester comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.

Cool the cake in the skillet on a wire rack for 4 minutes only. Run a thin knife around the edge of the cake and, wearing

oven mitts and working quickly, invert the cake onto a cake plate, keeping plate and skillet firmly pressed together.

:D<_<:D:D:D:D

Hey Harmon not a cookie recipe but maybe you'd like this one

Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe

1/2 ripe medium pineapple, peeled, cored, eyes removed and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds (about 4 or 5 slices)

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter

3/4 cup light brown sugar

14 pecan halves

1 cup cake flour (not self-rising)

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup granulated sugar

2 eggs

1 cup buttermilk

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 tablespoon dark rum

4 fresh cherries, halved and pits removed

Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet, over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and stir to combine.

Increase the heat to medium high and cook until the sugar mixture is bubbly, about 2 minutes. Arrange pineapple slices in

the skillet in a pleasing pattern and continue to cook for 2 minutes, or until the sugar mixture turns an amber color.

Turn the pineapple slices over and remove the pan from the heat. (The mixture will continue to cook even though the heat

is off.) Arrange the pecan halves in the spaces between the rings. Set aside to cool slightly.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Stir together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the remaining 1/2 cup butter and the granulated sugar until light and fluffy

. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, mixing just until incorporated. Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately in 3 batches,

mixing at low speed after each addition until just combined. Stir in the vanilla and rum.

Spoon the batter evenly over the pineapple slices in the skillet. Bake in the middle of the oven until golden brown and a

tester comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.

Cool the cake in the skillet on a wire rack for 4 minutes only. Run a thin knife around the edge of the cake and, wearing

oven mitts and working quickly, invert the cake onto a cake plate, keeping plate and skillet firmly pressed together.

:D<_<:D:D:D:D

Vagabond,

Thanks pal, I'm all over it. Pecans and buttermilk are Texas thangs so it has to be great. Yum!

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Here's a question:

I got a Magellan 500 for X-mas (thank you Santa) and I also bought a 2 GB SD Card for it.

Well, the problem is that I think the map "refresh" and loading WP's are slow - several seconds (yeah, I know - I'm impatient). The card is NOT rated "fast" and I have CA and NV street and topo map loaded onto it. I've been thinking about buying a "fast" SD card, so my question is if anybody has used a "slow" SD card and then upgraded to a "fast" and noticed a difference?

Here's a question:

I got a Magellan 500 for X-mas (thank you Santa) and I also bought a 2 GB SD Card for it.

Well, the problem is that I think the map "refresh" and loading WP's are slow - several seconds (yeah, I know - I'm impatient). The card is NOT rated "fast" and I have CA and NV street and topo map loaded onto it. I've been thinking about buying a "fast" SD card, so my question is if anybody has used a "slow" SD card and then upgraded to a "fast" and noticed a difference?

Is your computer USB port 1.0 or 2.0?

Here's a question:

USB 1.1 - I have a new laptop on my B-day list this summer!!!

Here's a question:

USB 2.0 is 40x faster than USB 1.1. Edited by TrailGators

Here's a question:

USB 2.0 is 40x faster than USB 1.1.

My point exactly.

Here's a question:

My point exactly.

OK.... Let me clarify a little... I know USB 1.1 uploads to the GPSr slower, but that should not matter once the files are transferred. The problem: Loading map and WP's are slow on the GPSr (first the map - then the WP's). Again, I'm not talking minutes here, maybe 5+ seconds.

To restate the question: Has anybody noticed an improvement with GPSr map "refresh" rate going from a slow SD card to a fast SD card?

Here's a question:

My point exactly.

OK.... Let me clarify a little... I know USB 1.1 uploads to the GPSr slower, but that should not matter once the files are transferred. The problem: Loading map and WP's are slow on the GPSr (first the map - then the WP's). Again, I'm not talking minutes here, maybe 5+ seconds.

To restate the question: Has anybody noticed an improvement with GPSr map "refresh" rate going from a slow SD card to a fast SD card?

When it comes to memory card speeds they are in increments of 150kbits/s. So a 133X card can transfer 20megabits/sec or 2.5megabytes/sec. Your GPS runs at USB 2.0 speed. So the maximum USB 2.0 speed is ~60 megabytes/sec. However, I'm not sure how much memory you are really reading at any one time, but it shouldn't be that much. Anyhow, if you upped your card speed by 8x, your read time should go from 5 seconds to less than one second.

Here's a question:

My point exactly.

When it comes to memory card speeds they are in increments of 150kbits/s. So a 133X card can transfer 20megabits/sec or 2.5megabytes/sec. Your GPS runs at USB 2.0 speed. So the maximum USB 2.0 speed is ~60 megabytes/sec. However, I'm not sure how much memory you are really reading at any one time, but it shouldn't be that much. Anyhow, if you upped your card speed by 8x, your read time should go from 5 seconds to less than one second.

Thanx! Sounds great (in theory), but is there anybody who actually has tried it???

How do you get a bookmarked list to show on your profile page.

I checked shared--nothing

I checked show on bookmark list--nothing

I don't want to check both because then it'll show on others cache pages and I don't want to clutter them up.

Any ideas

I don't want to check both because then it'll show on others cache pages and I don't want to clutter them up.

Any ideas

I think you click "share" and unclick "make public." Then use HTML to post a link on your profile page.

Any ideas

I think you click "share" and unclick "make public." Then use HTML to post a link on your profile page.

Thanks now I have figure out how to do the HTML. You guys lost me when you said HTML :sunsure:

Any ideas

Thanks now I have figure out how to do the HTML. You guys lost me when you said HTML :sunsure:

It's easy:

1) Type this into your profile:

3) Then add this piece to the end of that piece to underline want you want the link to say:

What you want to say

Any ideas

It's easy:

3) Then add this piece to the end of that piece to underline want you want the link to say:

What you want to say

and just where in my profile do I do this. I just went to my profile page edit and I didn't see anywhere to do this????? As you can tell I'm computer challenged.

what the heck are those Check marks on the bookmark page for then.

Any ideas

It's easy:

What you want to say

and just where in my profile do I do this. I just went to my profile page edit and I didn't see anywhere to do this????? As you can tell I'm computer challenged.

what the heck are those Check marks on the bookmark page for then.

You add it to this section: Your Profile Details:

When people go to your profile page you can allow them to see your bookmarks (under the tab at the top). You don't have any visible right now.

Edited by TrailGators

You have to use HTML. Here is a helpful site. :sunsure:

You have to click the link to "Edit Your Profile." Then you have to write up what you want to appear there in HTML code.

To insert the link for a bookmark, you would write:

<a href="URL of Bookmark List">Name of Bookmark List</a>

HTML code is different from the code used in these Forums. TG's code would work here.

You have to use HTML. Here is a helpful site. :D

You have to click the link to "Edit Your Profile." Then you have to write up what you want to appear there in HTML code.

To insert the link for a bookmark, you would write:

<a href="URL of Bookmark List">Name of Bookmark List</a>

HTML code is different from the code used in these Forums. TG's code would work here.

Oops you're right. I copied the code I use for my forum signature from my profile. There are too many dang codes! :sunsure:

Sam and Izzy

Two 90-year old Jewish men, Sam and Izzy, have been friends all of their lives.

When it's clear that Sam is dying, Izzy visits him every day.

One day Izzy says, "Sam, we both loved baseball all our lives, and we played minor league ball together for so many years.

Please do me one favor, when you get to Heaven, please, you'll let me know if there's baseball there."

Sam looks up at Izzy from his death bed and lovingly says," Izzy, you've been my best friend for many years. If it's possible, for you I'll do this favor.

Shortly after, Sam passes on. At midnight a few nights later, Izzy is awakened from a sound sleep by a blinding flash of white light and a voice calling out to him, "Izzy--Izzy."

"Who is it?, asks Izzy sitting up suddenly. "Who is it?"

The voice responds, "Izzy--it's me, Sam."

"You're not Sam. Sam just died."

"Izzy, I'm telling you it's me, Sam," insists the voice.

"So, Sam! Where are you?" asks Izzy.

"In heaven," replies Sam. "I have some good news and a little bad news."

"Tell me the good news first," says Izzy.

"The good news is that there's baseball in heaven.

Better yet, all our friends who died before us are here, too.

Better than that, we're all young again.

Better still, it's always spring time and it never rains or snows.

And listen, best of all, we can play baseball all we want, and we never get tired."

"That's fantastic," says Izzy. "It's beyond my wildest dreams! So what's the bad news?

"You're pitching Tuesday!"

04.gifHappy Fathers day all you Dads out there

63.gif It's your day to do what you want. I went Caching What about you 812.gif156.gif and tonight is pizza night. 89.gifkok007.gif

Well certainly I went caching. Did the Sandy Creek Cowboy series w/Gratefuldad116 and a new cacher, HIKERFREAK. What a fun and creative series but I think the new guy is going to be spoiled now. Should have started him off with lamp post caches and guard rail caches first. Happy Fathers Day to all.

63.gif It's your day to do what you want. I went Caching What about you 812.gif156.gif and tonight is pizza night. 89.gifkok007.gif

Well certainly I went caching. Did the Sandy Creek Cowboy series w/Gratefuldad116 and a new cacher, HIKERFREAK. What a fun and creative series but I think the new guy is going to be spoiled now. Should have started him off with lamp post caches and guard rail caches first. Happy Fathers Day to all.

:o That is a great series. I tweaked my back again so I stayed home and watched Tiger Woods almost pull off a win today at the U.S. Open. Then I watched my daughter's softball game. They won 30-4! Woo Hoo! It was a nice day! Happy Father's Day to all you caching Dads! :(

:o That is a great series. I tweaked my back again so I stayed home and watched Tiger Woods almost pull off a win today at the U.S. Open. Then I watched my daughter's softball game. They won 30-4! Woo Hoo! It was a nice day! Happy Father's Day to all you caching Dads! :D

Happy Father's Day! Like, Dick said, we went a cachin'! Wondering what I should do tomorrow? Dunno...maybe go hide another cache on my regular running trail :( .

Shore glad you boys enjoyed th' Sandy Creek Cowboy caches. Y'all have a decent grasp of cowboy talk judgin' from yore log entries. With encouragement like that we might finish up th' remainin' cowboy caches.

Yeehaw!

Harmon & Bill

Sandy Creek Cowboys

Edited by SD Rowdies

I just used some of my Harmon taught Photoshop skills recently on the photo below. This was taken a few weeks ago at my daughter's high school graduation. The photo of us was taken right after my daughter's graduation ceremony down on the football field. There were a bunch of people in the background, so I removed us from that background and reinserted us into another shot that I took from the bleachers during the ceremony. I wanted to get the "2007" in the photo and I thought it would be cool to get my daughter in the photo again. So if you look to the left of her head you can see her standing in the front row. My oldest son was studying for his finals up at college and couldn't make it down. So I added him on the far right. Anyhow, this is the complete set of TrailGators! It's a rarity to be able to get us in the same photo and if it wasn't for Photoshop we wouldn't have been together for this one. My youngest son, who is ducking down in front of me was with me when I found my first cache. They have all found caches with me at one time or another. My daughter was the last one to accompany me on a hunt. Anyhow, thanks again Harmon for teaching me how to use Photoshop! It has come in handy! :P

78901ffc-2849-4891-b035-02518e9a51f1.jpg

Edited by TrailGators

I love it when this happens. Glad to see your skill pay off for a family occasion. Great job.

The Photoshop lessons never made it to the good stuff like color correction and sharpening so here's some things to try on your full-sized image so's it looks like this.

a8cd6c05-ea9f-4ddc-871a-025abf2e1f67.jpg

A. Open the image and then select "Image/Mode/Lab color."

B. Duplicate the background layer and then change the duplicate layer to "Screen" mode.

C. Press keyboard combination Ctrl-M and then choose the 'a' channel. Steepen the curve by moving the end points toward the center by about ten percent.

D. Do the same thing to the 'b' channel and then click OK.

E. Go to the channels pallet and select just the Lightness channel.

F. Select "Filter/Sharpen/Unsharp mask" and set Amount = 100, Radius = 1.0, and Threshold = 10. Now reselect the Lab Channel and then go back to the Layers Pallet.

G. Select "Image/Mode/RGB" but don't flatten.

H. Select the duplicate layer and then click the "Create a new layer" icon.

I. Select "Image/Apply Image" menu option. Change "Channel" to "Green" and then click OK.

J. Reset the top layer blending mode to "Luminosity."

K. Say "Wow!" and then feel free to ask questions.

L. Flatten the image before "Save As."

There y' go, a snap tour through Lab mode, color correction. luminosity sharpening, apply-image using the green channel, and more.

Da nada,

Harmon

Cool, huh? What a camera sees and what your eyes see, two different worlds.

Edited by SD Rowdies

I just used some of my Harmon taught Photoshop skills recently on the photo below. This was taken a few weeks ago at my daughter's high school graduation. The photo of us was taken right after my daughter's graduation ceremony down on the football field. There were a bunch of people in the background, so I removed us from that background and reinserted us into another shot that I took from the bleachers during the ceremony. I wanted to get the "2007" in the photo and I thought it would be cool to get my daughter in the photo again. So if you look to the left of her head you can see her standing in the front row. My oldest son was studying for his finals up at college and couldn't make it down. So I added him on the far right. Anyhow, this is the complete set of TrailGators! It's a rarity to be able to get us in the same photo and if it wasn't for Photoshop we wouldn't have been together for this one. My youngest son, who is ducking down in front of me was with me when I found my first cache. They have all found caches with me at one time or another. My daughter was the last one to accompany me on a hunt. Anyhow, thanks again Harmon for teaching me how to use Photoshop! It has come in handy! ;)

Great looking family! But who's that geeky looking guy on the top left? :P

I just used some of my Harmon taught Photoshop skills recently on the photo below. This was taken a few weeks ago at my daughter's high school graduation. The photo of us was taken right after my daughter's graduation ceremony down on the football field. There were a bunch of people in the background, so I removed us from that background and reinserted us into another shot that I took from the bleachers during the ceremony. I wanted to get the "2007" in the photo and I thought it would be cool to get my daughter in the photo again. So if you look to the left of her head you can see her standing in the front row. My oldest son was studying for his finals up at college and couldn't make it down. So I added him on the far right. Anyhow, this is the complete set of TrailGators! It's a rarity to be able to get us in the same photo and if it wasn't for Photoshop we wouldn't have been together for this one. My youngest son, who is ducking down in front of me was with me when I found my first cache. They have all found caches with me at one time or another. My daughter was the last one to accompany me on a hunt. Anyhow, thanks again Harmon for teaching me how to use Photoshop! It has come in handy! :P

Great looking family! But who's that geeky looking guy on the top left? ;)

:P I've never seen Pat without a hat on. Great looking family!!! Congrats to your daughter. She is beautiful!!!