San Diego Banter

TrailGators

My email to you keeps bouncing back. What's up with that?

They want to deliver vast amounts of information over the internet. And again, the internet is not something you just dump something on. It’s not a truck. It’s a series of tubes. And if you don’t understand those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and its going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.

-- Senator Ted Stevens

Maybe the tubes are clogged by sea urchins or something... ;)

My gosh, now it's email plumbing? What th' heck are those people in D.C. smoking? :D

My email to you keeps bouncing back. What's up with that?

They want to deliver vast amounts of information over the internet. And again, the internet is not something you just dump something on. It’s not a truck. It’s a series of tubes. And if you don’t understand those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and its going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.

-- Senator Ted Stevens

Maybe the tubes are clogged by sea urchins or something... ;)

My gosh, now it's email plumbing? What th' heck are those people in D.C. smoking? :D

Kind of makes you wish that Al Gore hadn't invented the darn thing in the first place, doesn't it? :D

The most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered creature you ever set eyes on! It has a vicious streak a mile wide! He'll bite your head clean off! It's a vicious rabbit with large, sharp, pointy teeth!

Right! Silly little bleeder. One rabbit stew comin' right up!

Snake vs. Bunny

I warned you, but did you listen to me? Oh, no, you knew it all, didn't you? Oh, it's just a harmless little bunny, isn't it?

The most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered creature you ever set eyes on! It has a vicious streak a mile wide! He'll bite your head clean off! It's a vicious rabbit with large, sharp, pointy teeth!

Snake vs. Bunny

I warned you, but did you listen to me? Oh, no, you knew it all, didn't you? Oh, it's just a harmless little bunny, isn't it?

I've seen this video too. It's hare-larious. Ar Ar.

Snake vs. Bunny

That is funny! :lol:

Snake vs. Bunny

That is funny! :lol:

Funny? Why I oughta . . .

Thanks to Rocket Man for the nudge, I just figured out that I could get a 2GB micro sdcard (about $60 on Amazon) for my 60CSx and load street maps for the entire USA plus topo maps for most of the Southwest so that they are now there without having to reload maps whenever I go out of town. Awesome! (some of us are slower than others when it comes to figuring out the full capabilities of our electronic devices...)

Thanks to Rocket Man for the nudge, I just figured out that I could get a 2GB micro sdcard (about $60 on Amazon) for my 60CSx and load street maps for the entire USA plus topo maps for most of the Southwest so that they are now there without having to reload maps whenever I go out of town. Awesome! (some of us are slower than others when it comes to figuring out the full capabilities of our electronic devices...)

Yah, sure ... you betcha. So now you have to travel more.

Going from a Magellan Merridian Platinum to a Garmin 60CSx I find that there's one useful feature left behind. On the Magellan one can save loaded waypoints as a set written to a file on the memory card. That way while traveling about one can choose from several sets of waypoints stored on the memory card.

That worked great for a Thanksgiving trip to Greer, Arizona. We had a set of San Diego waypoints, a set of waypoints along the route from El Cajon to Greer, and then a set of waypoints for the area around Greer all loaded onto the GPS memory card. Naturally I loaded the same waypoint sets into separate databases of our PDA.

What I look forward to is a Bluetooth interface between PDA and GPS receiver, or at least PDA and GPS functionality incorporated into the same unit like the military field commanders already have.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Yah, sure ... you betcha. So now you have to travel more.

Going from a Magellan Merridian Platinum to a Garmin 60CSx I find that there's one useful feature left behind. On the Magellan one can save loaded waypoints as a set written to a file on the memory card. That way while traveling about one can choose from several sets of waypoints stored on the memory card.

That worked great for a Thanksgiving trip to Greer, Arizona. We had a set of San Diego waypoints, a set of waypoints along the route from El Cajon to Greer, and then a set of waypoints for the area around Greer all loaded onto the GPS memory card. Naturally I loaded the same waypoint sets into separate databases of our PDA.

What I look forward to is a Bluetooth interface between PDA and GPS receiver, or at least PDA and GPS functionality incorporated into the same unit like the military field commanders already have.

It wouldn't surprise me if the new iPhone eventually included geocaching software. The screen is certainly big enough and I believe it does have the GPS chip needed. That would be a phone, PDA, GPS all in one with a nice touch screen to boot. FlagMan would likely appreciate the Mac compatability. :unsure:

That would be be very cool...when we went to England last fall, I had a bazillion caches loaded into GSAK and each evening downloaded a subset of 400-500 appropriate for the day's travels. (Since we tend to be fairly spontaneous when we travel, we didn't plan to do any specific caches. We just went with whatever opportunities arose as the day unfolded.) It works but you got to carry around a laptop. It would have been nice to just swap cards...

Combination units do exist but they always seem to compromise some piece of functionality (usually the GPSr). I'd really like to see a BlueTooth interface so that I can pick and choose my weapons...

That would be be very cool...when we went to England last fall, I had a bazillion caches loaded into GSAK and each evening downloaded a subset of 400-500 appropriate for the day's travels. (Since we tend to be fairly spontaneous when we travel, we didn't plan to do any specific caches. We just went with whatever opportunities arose as the day unfolded.) It works but you got to carry around a laptop. It would have been nice to just swap cards...

Combination units do exist but they always seem to compromise some piece of functionality (usually the GPSr). I'd really like to see a BlueTooth interface so that I can pick and choose my weapons...

The military version.

7c4f288e-b3d0-4475-8fac-ffbb3aca7707.jpg

TGIF!

3a3ba90f-d776-495b-8276-ab6606fb6da2.jpg

Additional Hints ( Decrypt )

Gur pnpur vf uvqqra haqre gur yrbcneq.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M

-------------------------

N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below,

and vice versa)

Wow, I just learned that I can read encrypted logs without clicking Decrypt! Yikes! :unsure: (well, ok, I did need the key right there and.. I actually TRIED to click Decrypt first ) :blink:
TGIF!

3a3ba90f-d776-495b-8276-ab6606fb6da2.jpg

Additional Hints ( Decrypt )

Gur pnpur vf uvqqra haqre gur yrbcneq.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M

-------------------------

N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below,

and vice versa)

Wow, I just learned that I can read encrypted logs without clicking Decrypt! Yikes! :) (well, ok, I did need the key right there and.. I actually TRIED to click Decrypt first ) :)

Is it a big thing that I only needed the key to decrypt the last word?

Just saw this on the Garmin website. Prices seem to vary widely but it appears that you can buy the unit alone for as low as $105 and the "deluxe" version (ie. it comes with maps and SW) for as low as $160 .

pt-gps10-SM.jpg

GPS 10

At last — no more cables, plugin receivers, and paper maps! Add full-featured GPS navigation to your Windows, Windows Mobile OS or Palm OS, Bluetooth, wireless-enabled devices*.

Wherever you're going, the GPS 10 Deluxe package with mobile mapping software provides wireless mapping and navigation to deliver you directly to the front door.

Traveling has never been easier thanks to the GPS 10 Deluxe's innovative features:

* Compact and lightweight — convenient to carry and mount discreetly in your car

* Magnetic and hook-and-loop fastener mounts — make it a snap to install

* Waterproof — so it can be mounted outside the car for a clear view of the sky

* Integrated, wireless GPS receiver and transceiver with Bluetooth technology— for strong reception and data transmission of up to 30 feet

* Long battery life — rechargeable lithium ion batteries for up to 12 hours of use and a 12-volt adapter for added flexibility

* Detailed, accurate mapping software — provides map data for the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico

* Intuitive navigation applications for PC laptop, Pocket PC, and Palm OS based products — deliver address lookup, turn-by-turn navigation, and more

The GPS 10 with Bluetooth® wireless technology receives GPS (Global Positioning System) satellite signals and wirelessly transmits them to your mobile device to give you navigation capabilities.

Just saw this on the Garmin website. Prices seem to vary widely but it appears that you can buy the unit alone for as low as $105 and the "deluxe" version (ie. it comes with maps and SW) for as low as $160 .

pt-gps10-SM.jpg

GPS 10

At last — no more cables, plugin receivers, and paper maps! Add full-featured GPS navigation to your Windows, Windows Mobile OS or Palm OS, Bluetooth, wireless-enabled devices*.

Wherever you're going, the GPS 10 Deluxe package with mobile mapping software provides wireless mapping and navigation to deliver you directly to the front door.

Traveling has never been easier thanks to the GPS 10 Deluxe's innovative features:

* Compact and lightweight — convenient to carry and mount discreetly in your car

* Magnetic and hook-and-loop fastener mounts — make it a snap to install

* Waterproof — so it can be mounted outside the car for a clear view of the sky

* Integrated, wireless GPS receiver and transceiver with Bluetooth technology— for strong reception and data transmission of up to 30 feet

* Long battery life — rechargeable lithium ion batteries for up to 12 hours of use and a 12-volt adapter for added flexibility

* Detailed, accurate mapping software — provides map data for the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico

* Intuitive navigation applications for PC laptop, Pocket PC, and Palm OS based products — deliver address lookup, turn-by-turn navigation, and more

The GPS 10 with Bluetooth® wireless technology receives GPS (Global Positioning System) satellite signals and wirelessly transmits them to your mobile device to give you navigation capabilities.

So let us know how yours works out for you.

banner_zoom.jpg

For those frustrated by trying to find Snow White, I've just found a new game for Palm/Pocket PC that might help to relieve those frustrations. It's called HammerHeads....

Hammer Heads is a frantic fun-fest for anyone with an aversion to those pesky creatures that live at the bottom of your garden. As the gnomes rise from their holes, just tap the screen to bash them with your hammer!

You can go to Astraware.com to find out more...

banner_zoom.jpg

For those frustrated by trying to find Snow White, I've just found a new game for Palm/Pocket PC that might help to relieve those frustrations. It's called HammerHeads....

Hammer Heads is a frantic fun-fest for anyone with an aversion to those pesky creatures that live at the bottom of your garden. As the gnomes rise from their holes, just tap the screen to bash them with your hammer!

You can go to Astraware.com to find out more...

Too funny.. :(

One can't avoid knowing that Anna Nicole Smith died but the question seems to be, who was her baby's father?

Just to set the record straight, ... I did not have sex with that woman.

Harmon

Are you SURE? I heard at the Yuma event that someone has pictures. :o:ph34r::huh::ph34r:

Can't post THOSE pictures here....

One can't avoid knowing that Anna Nicole Smith died but the question seems to be, who was her baby's father?

Just to set the record straight, ... I did not have sex with that woman.

Harmon

Are you SURE? I heard at the Yuma event that someone has pictures. :wub::ph34r::o:huh:

Can't post THOSE pictures here....

Unless, of course, they've been suitably Photoshop'd first! :ph34r:

e82da624-edc3-4470-bc84-73be93fe0379.jpg

:lol::wub::wub: Sweet Photo! :wub::wub::huh:

It's been pouring here all night and all morning. Sort of messes up my caching plans for the day.

It sure messed up my day. I was planning on finishing out a certain snakey cache. B) I suspect that it may unwise given the weather... :huh:

This is really unfair!!! Tomorrow, when I have to work, it'll probably be gorgeous outside. B):wub:

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

B)B)B) Sweet Photo! B)B)B)

It's been pouring here all night and all morning. Sort of messes up my caching plans for the day.

It sure messed up my day. I was planning on finishing out a certain snakey cache. :blink: I suspect that it may unwise given the weather... :huh:

This is really unfair!!! Tomorrow, when I have to work, it'll probably be gorgeous outside. :huh::blink:

I use Webshots for my desktop calandar and background and that photo is my background for today. I thought it was so cool that I'd share it with you guys. It is in Nepal. Anyhow, I'm working today so I don't mind the rain. ;) The only thing I am wondering is how much of the fertilizer that I put on my lawn yesterday is going down the street... :blink: Edited by TrailGators

Cool picture!

Almost looks like the same sky in this picture I took many years ago when I lived in Idaho.

4c23f840-2439-43b3-b528-e926904905ea.jpg

:blink:

Wow! That is a great photo!

So much for your attempt of El Cap today Karen. I know I'm not ready for El Cap because Richard and I hiked about half of what El Cap would be on Saturday and my legs are a little bit sore today from that. I admit that I'm not in the best shape but the weird part is that my legs felt fine yesterday. It's almost like there's a two day delay in my soreness as I get closer to middle age. Of course middle age is 60 because I plan on living until I'm 120. :blink:

Edited by TrailGators

<snip>

Wow! That is a great photo!

So much for your attempt of El Cap today Karen. I know I'm not ready for El Cap because Richard and I hiked about half of what El Cap would be on Saturday and my legs are a little bit sore today from that. I admit that I'm not in the best shape but the weird part is that my legs felt fine yesterday. It's almost like there's a two day delay in my soreness as I get closer to middle age. Of course middle age is 60 because I plan on living until I'm 120. :blink:

Actually, we decided against doing El Cap anyway because the trailhead is all messed up due to construction. After doing this hike with dillweed Friday, and just about reaching my limit at 12.6 miles, I'm not sure I can complete El Cap.

2a76b41f-c0ba-4f3d-9535-5cc76fbfb834.jpg

My left knee gave me some trouble just like my right knee did when Richard and Jodi and I hiked 10 miles in MTRP several weeks back . . .

:blink:

Edited by Miragee

It sure messed up my day. I was planning on finishing out a certain snakey cache. :blink: I suspect that it may unwise given the weather... :huh:

Well, it turned out to be a good caching day after all -- though it didn't start out that way. With Plan A in the dustbin, I went with Plan B and promptly DNF'd 3 of my first 4 attempts (and 5 of the first 10). I tied my "personal worst" for DNFs in a day. Things picked up after that, though, and I found some pretty cool hides in spite of the rain! :blink:

How To Clean Your Toilet

1. Put both lids of the toilet up and add 1/8 cup of pet shampoo to the water in the bowl.

2. Pick up the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

3. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids. You may need to stand on the lid.

4. The cat will self agitate and make ample suds. Never mind the noises that come from the toilet, the cat is actually enjoying this.

5. Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a "power-wash" and rinse".

6. Have someone open the front door of your home. Be sure that there are no people between the bathroom and the front door.

7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.

8. The cat will rocket out of the toilet, streak through the bathroom, and run outside where he will dry himself off.

9. Both the commode and the cat will be sparkling clean.

73cc20b1-c6ee-429c-8e74-8885bd5b4a50.jpg

Sincerely,

The Dog

8d71c4ad-2176-4eeb-8039-de1ba6e06044.jpg

How To Clean Your Toilet

1. Put both lids of the toilet up and add 1/8 cup of pet shampoo to the water in the bowl.

2. Pick up the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

3. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids. You may need to stand on the lid.

4. The cat will self agitate and make ample suds. Never mind the noises that come from the toilet, the cat is actually enjoying this.

5. Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a "power-wash" and rinse".

6. Have someone open the front door of your home. Be sure that there are no people between the bathroom and the front door.

7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.

8. The cat will rocket out of the toilet, streak through the bathroom, and run outside where he will dry himself off.

9. Both the commode and the cat will be sparkling clean.

73cc20b1-c6ee-429c-8e74-8885bd5b4a50.jpg

Sincerely,

The Dog

8d71c4ad-2176-4eeb-8039-de1ba6e06044.jpg

I thought this was funny, Cat didn't see any humor here