San Diego Banter

TrailGators

I was intrigued to find a discussion in another forum on whether it is proper to log more than one DNF per cache. The discussion started around two basic positions:

I count each DNF separately. It's taken four or five tries for me to find a couple of caches. Each effort was its own exercise in stupidity, mistaken assumptions and bad luck. I value them all equally.
Logging multiple DNF on the same cache robs this sport and you of any semblance of integrity. This practice only serves to cheapen the legitimate number of DNFs that I have logged on the caches that I haven't found.

Unfortunately, as with most discussions along similar lines, it quickly broke down into discussions of DNF record attempts, what constitutes a "true" DNF (does it count as real DNF if the cache wasn't there when you didn't find it?), whether or not it was proper to DNF a temporary cache at an event, and whether the rush to be First to DNF (FTDNF) was ruining the sport.

I was intrigued to find a discussion in another forum on whether it is proper to log more than one DNF per cache. The discussion started around two basic positions:

I count each DNF separately. It's taken four or five tries for me to find a couple of caches. Each effort was its own exercise in stupidity, mistaken assumptions and bad luck. I value them all equally.
Logging multiple DNF on the same cache robs this sport and you of any semblance of integrity. This practice only serves to cheapen the legitimate number of DNFs that I have logged on the caches that I haven't found.

Unfortunately, as with most discussions along similar lines, it quickly broke down into discussions of DNF record attempts, what constitutes a "true" DNF (does it count as real DNF if the cache wasn't there when you didn't find it?), whether or not it was proper to DNF a temporary cache at an event, and whether the rush to be First to DNF (FTDNF) was ruining the sport.

Seems like the purpose of letting the cache owner know that his cache "might" be missing by logging a DNF has been lost because of childish behavior. :laughing:

Is it me or... For the past week or two I've had a real problem zeroing in with my GPSr - I'm off 50 ft or so - or I stand still at GZ and it slowly counts down to 0 from 20-30 ft off etc. I just have a hard time to get a good fix fast. I remember this happened to me in the spring for a few weeks and then it went away. This problem is all over the city where I've been caching Santee - La Mesa - Clairemont so I know it's not a local problem.

Anybody else with the same problem, or any solution/suggestion?

Start by offering some facts about the problem, for example -

A. What make and model GPS receiver do you have?

B. Do you ever download and install firmware upgrades for your GPS unit?

C. Is the problem due to slow acquisition of GPS satellites or due to slow acquisition of the WAAS satellite? Figure this out by watching the GPS satellite-acquisition display during the period of inaccuracy to see if, during that period, only one or two GPS satellites are acquired. If, however, four or more GPS satellites are acquired early on then perhaps the issue is WAAS satellite acquisition.

D. What's the weather been like when you experience the problem? ... dense cloud-cover or fog perhaps?

E. By any chance have you been wanting to buy a new GPS receiver? If so then I can set you up with a convincing Forum response that might make it through your spouse-filter.

F. Chu got a seester?

Edited by SD Rowdies

E. By any chance have you been wanting to buy a new GPS receiver? If so then I can set you up with a convincing Forum response that might make it through your spouse-filter.

:blink::huh::o:o:P:blink:

I might need one 'a those in the near future...

D!

I need one of those for a Jeep with big wheels and the whole nine yards!!! :P

Test drove the Fuji Cruiser today. I need one for the COLOR YELLOW!!! :o:huh::P

:P:P:P:blink::o:blink:

D!

I need one of those for a Jeep with big wheels and the whole nine yards!!! :huh:

Test drove the Fuji Cruiser today. I need one for the COLOR YELLOW!!! :huh::o:o

Hokay, I'll get back to you guys on this.

D!

I need one of those for a Jeep with big wheels and the whole nine yards!!! :huh:

Thanks Harmon! :D

a5716447-79d5-4102-87a0-5015f7eca6be.jpg

Edited by TrailGators

D!

Thanks Harmon! :D

a5716447-79d5-4102-87a0-5015f7eca6be.jpg

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Is it me or... For the past week or two I've had a real problem zeroing in with my GPSr - I'm off 50 ft or so - or I stand still at GZ and it slowly counts down to 0 from 20-30 ft off etc. I just have a hard time to get a good fix fast. I remember this happened to me in the spring for a few weeks and then it went away. This problem is all over the city where I've been caching Santee - La Mesa - Clairemont so I know it's not a local problem.

C. Is the problem due to slow acquisition of GPS satellites or due to slow acquisition of the WAAS satellite? Figure this out by watching the GPS satellite-acquisition display during the period of inaccuracy to see if, during that period, only one or two GPS satellites are acquired. If, however, four or more GPS satellites are acquired early on then perhaps the issue is WAAS satellite acquisition.

D. What's the weather been like when you experience the problem? ... dense cloud-cover or fog perhaps?

F. Chu got a seester?

Thanks Harmon for taking some time to work with my problem. Sorry for not answering until today but I've worked all weekend instead of geocaching.

Magellan SportTrak Map

No, never realized you could do that - but I'll check now for sure.

Never paid much attention to it, I'll keep an eye on it. I saw that I had 4 satellite numbers and 2 W's on the screen today. Also, the WAAS came on last.

Clear blue skyes - perfect So Cal weather

Tempting offer...

F. Chu got a seester?

I do?!?!?!

I believe in these difficult and mean-spirited times in which we live

there needs to be a message of hope. Just a single image that speaks

to us of love, harmony, peace and joy. An image that suggests the

universal brotherhood of man. I have found that image, and I ask

that all of you take a moment to be inspired by it.

173ea8e3-15d7-4cd1-ae64-59aca34f80dc.jpg

There's definitely a pot of gold at this end of the rainbow... :laughing:

I wonder what's on the other side???

F. Chu got a seester?

Thanks Harmon for taking some time to work with my problem. Sorry for not answering until today but I've worked all weekend instead of geocaching.

Magellan SportTrak Map

No, never realized you could do that - but I'll check now for sure.

Never paid much attention to it, I'll keep an eye on it. I saw that I had 4 satellite numbers and 2 W's on the screen today. Also, the WAAS came on last.

Clear blue skyes - perfect So Cal weather

Tempting offer...

F. Chu got a seester?

I do?!?!?!

Start by downloading and installing the firmware update. You'll find the update under the Magellan website support link. Brand new receivers right out of the carton need firmware updates. Included in the current firmware update are some tweaks for the RF receiver that were released in an early version. You will find detailed instructions for accomplishing the firmware update on the website.

One thing to be very careful about is to install fresh batteries in your GPSr before starting the firmware installation. If the batteries give out during the download then the unit will have to be returned to Magellan. I use a plug-in-the-wall Radio Shack power converter and a split serial/power cable that features an auto-power connector.

Next issue is WAAS averaging time. Consider two scenarios -

A. You are walking along a trail for a while and stop to find a cache. In this scenario it is likely that your SportTrak has had time to acquire four or more GPS satellites and make use of the satellite-signal delays to calculate decent latitude and longitude. Thus the WAAS signal corrections should be small and so take less time for averaging.

B. You are driving along in a car and suddenly stop to find a roadside cache. Stopping a speeding auto introduces a new processing problem for the GPS receiver wherein it must abandon predictive processing and undertake a relatively fixed-position calculation. Once that is done then the WAAS averaging can begin. For the very best result this process can be three to four minutes.

NOTE: See an earlier piece about "WAAS averaging" that I posted on this thread.

Notice also that readings taken under a tree canopy or within or under a structure require several minutes of time for good accuracy. It takes patience to wait for coordinates to settle into an accurate value. Note that moving a GPS receiver by even a foot distance during WAAS averaging will reset the averaging clock. Alpha personalities aren't suited for WAAS averaging, it takes some patience to keep a GPS receiver motionless for three or four minutes during which time some tag-along newbie will beat you to the find. That's how Mr. The Vulture got his user handle by the way ... and he brags about it th' rat.

Current Magellan and Garmin models reach a stable coordinate reading sooner than the old models but as far as I can see the old models will finally achieve equivalent accuracy. New receivers are apparently more sensitive and my guess is that the embedded processor of new models is faster. Maybe somebody that knows can comment on my conjecture.

It behooves a cacher to use the first three or four minutes after approaching a hide for a purely visual scan of the area. Sometimes that visual scan will produce a find, you know, for little-pile-of-rocks classes of hides. If the visual scan doesn't pay off in the first three or four minutes then your GPS receiver will have produced decent coordinates for a serious search. Well, you know, assuming that the cache owner understood and used WAAS averaging when waypointing the hide.

Of course keep in mind ... what would a really-old cowboy know?

Edited by SD Rowdies
Current Magellan and Garmin models reach a stable coordinate readinig sooner than the old models but as far as I can see the old models will finally reach equivalent accuracy.
That's true. Whenever I hide a cache, I first set my GPS down for a few minutes to stabilize and then I do an average of 100 points once it does. So even if my GPS is older this method should get me as close as possible to the true ground zero. Edited by TrailGators

Have you ever seen anything like this???

Fogbow

Lots of other cool pictures from our universe

Fogbow

But where's the Beer Store? :ph34r::unsure:

I have used a lot of those photos from that website for my wallpaper! Very cool site! :huh:

Fogbow

I would guess the "Fogbow" would also land at a bar or liquor store... :unsure:

Fogbow

I would guess the "Fogbow" would also land at a bar or liquor store... :ph34r:

Yes it would! I am once again inspired! :unsure:

9fea64c9-65a3-4451-bf94-da491c3423e6.jpg

Edited by TrailGators

Fogbow

I would guess the "Fogbow" would also land at a bar or liquor store... :ph34r:

Yes it would! I am once again inspired! :unsure:

9fea64c9-65a3-4451-bf94-da491c3423e6.jpg

Anybody got the coords for that store???? :huh:

Current Magellan and Garmin models reach a stable coordinate readinig sooner than the old models but as far as I can see the old models will finally reach equivalent accuracy.
That's true. Whenever I hide a cache, I first set my GPS down for a few minutes to stabilize and then I do an average of 100 points once it does. So even if my GPS is older this method should get me as close as possible to the true ground zero.

Would a sample of a 100 points over a couple of minutes be better than, say, 10 points in 10 seconds, and then 10 more points 15 minutes later? I've just wondered whether waiting for a whole new constellation configuration might help in getting a better position, particularly in canyons. Anyone?

That's true. Whenever I hide a cache, I first set my GPS down for a few minutes to stabilize and then I do an average of 100 points once it does. So even if my GPS is older this method should get me as close as possible to the true ground zero.

Would a sample of a 100 points over a couple of minutes be better than, say, 10 points in 10 seconds, and then 10 more points 15 minutes later? I've just wondered whether waiting for a whole new constellation configuration might help in getting a better position, particularly in canyons. Anyone?
The longer the average sample the better. But you will reach of point of dimishing returns. However, if I am in an area that has poor satellitle coverage, I will typically move in increments of ~7 feet (.001 minute) either directly N, S, E or W to a spot with better satellite coverage. Then I'll get a more accurate set of coords and simply add/subtract by the offset where I took the measurement to determine the cache coordinates. So if I moved 35 feet south of the cache to take the reading, I would add .005 to my north coordinate for the cache to compensate for the offset. If I moved 35 feet west of the cache to take the reading, I would subtract .005 from my west reading for the cache to compensate for that offset.... Edited by TrailGators
11 November 2006

The rare and wiley Santa Rosa Wabbit spotted at sunrise on Villager Peak ...

85e2ee15-0858-461a-bf9b-ae9669f6e6b6.jpg

and later in the day, he signed in to ...

dab76682-c5e4-4c69-82db-51cb865e1284.jpg

after earlier visiting Rabbit Peak.

-GD

:mad::) Great photos Don! I'll let Harmon have first crack! :):lol:

Wow! Sandy and I just got back about two hours ago from a week in Aridzona and now I see that I'm already behind in my work.

Rabbit Peak huh? How about a find at 10,000 feet? Photo later.

The cop got out of his car and the kid who was stopped for speeding rolled down his window. "I've been waiting for you all day," the cop said.

The kid replied, "Yeah, well I got here as fast as I could."

When the cop finally stopped laughing, he sent the kid on his way without a ticket <_<B):huh:bangheadje3.gifzrant2oe8.gif

Edited by SKILLET

Some of the artists of the 60's are revising their music hits with new lyrics to accommodate baby boomers

this time in their golden years.

They include:

Herman's Hermits -------- Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Walker

The Bee Gees ------------ How Can You Mend a Broken Hip.

Bobby Darin -------------- Splish, Splash, I Was Havin' a Flash.

Ringo Starr --------------- I Get By With a Little Help From Depends.

Roberta Flack ------------ The First Time Ever I Forgot Your Face.

Johnny Nash -------------- I Can't See Clearly Now.

Paul Simon ---------------- Fifty Ways to Lose Your Liver

The Commodores -------- Once, Twice, Three Times to the Bathroom.

Marvin Gaye -------------- Heard It Through the Grape Nuts.

Leo Sayer ----------------- You Make Me Feel Like Napping.

Tony Orlando ------------- Knock 3 Times On The Ceiling If You Hear Me Fall.

Helen Reddy -------------- I Am Woman, Hear Me Snore.

Willie Nelson -------------- On the Commode Again!!!