San Diego Banter

TrailGators

You might be a redneck if:

A little rain doesn't spoil the fishing...

d18caffe-66a5-4731-9482-cf3d5be9f438.jpg

You have a deer's butt for a door bell...

71db98b9-9f75-4a85-81ee-85688c6c0790.jpg

Your mailbox looks like this...

1b268f22-c912-4dee-9a36-54802ab84701.jpg

Your wedding picture looked like this...

44e3719e-f9e3-40dd-9209-e78f66031d92.jpg

And your wedding cake looked like this...

b74a2251-aae2-4627-a838-6b648ff07301.jpg

Or if your wife is quoted in the local paper saying...

75ea8d0c-b8f5-4b22-831b-a2ea8b24b26f.jpg

Edited by TrailGators

Y'all are makin' fun of country huh?

3ca7460f-cfc0-4e28-9dac-c5c5b0a3af2f.jpg

Notice th' pickup truck and th' fanger in front of th' lens. Ah cain't esplain th' palm trees.

East county is redneck and we're proud uvit. Well. what else we got t' be proud uv?

Love th' wedding photo. If y' get divorced in Arkansas does that mean yo're no longer brother and sister?

Edited by SD Rowdies
[Your wedding picture looked like this... ]And what's Elmer got in his hand. Looks like a snack pack of Oreo cookies...
I think the proud brother has a beer in his hand. I had a beer after my wedding ceremony but my beautiful bride made me put it down for the photos... :):) Edited by TrailGators

Read this, and thought of Harmon . . .

A cowboy was herding his cows in a remote pasture when suddenly a brand-new BMW raced out of a dust cloud towards him. The driver, a young man in a Brioni suit, Gucci shoes, Ray Ban sunglasses and YSL tie, leans out the window and asks the cowboy, "If I tell you exactly how many cows and calves you have in your herd, will you give me a calf?"

The cowboy looks at the man, obviously a yuppie, then looks at his peacefully grazing herd and calmly answers, "Sure, why not?"

The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell notebook computer, connects it to his Cingular RAZR V3 cell phone, and surfs to a NASA page on the Internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite navigation system to get an exact fix on his location, which he then feeds to another NASA satellite that scans the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo. The young man then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop and exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany. Within seconds, he receives an email on his Palm Pilot that the image has been processed and the data stored. He then accesses a MS-SQL database through an ODBC connected Excel spreadsheet with email on his Blackberry and, after a few minutes, receives a response.

Finally, he prints out a full-color, 150-page report on his hi-tech, miniaturized HP LaserJet printer and finally turns to the cowboy and says, "You have exactly 1,586 cows and calves."

"That's right. Well, I guess you can take one of my calves," says the cowboy.

He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on amused as the young man stuffs it into the trunk of his car. Then the cowboy says to the young man, "Hey, if I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my calf?"

The young man thinks about it for a second and then says, "Okay, why not?

You're a Congressman for the U.S. Government", says the cowboy. "Wow! That's correct," says the yuppie, "but how did you guess that?"

"No guessing required." answered the cowboy. "You showed up here even though nobody called you; you want to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked. You tried to show me how much smarter than me you are; and you don't know a thing about cows...

Now give me back my dog."

:P:P

I've been looking for information on the plane crash that left the engine and fuselage at Jet Engine. During my search I found this page that lists Crash Sites by Latitude and Longitude.

I wondered if any of you more computer literate folks might be able to turn these into a Google Earth KML file.

I can grab the coordinates with GPS Coordinate Grabber but I have no idea what to do from there. :P:P:P

Anyone? :P:P:P

Jeff

Edited by drexotic
I've been looking for information on the plane crash that left the engine and fuselage at Jet Engine. During my search I found this page that lists Crash Sites by Latitude and Longitude.

I wondered if any of you more computer literate folks might be able to turn these into a Google Earth KML file.

I can grab the coordinates with GPS Coordinate Grabber but I have no idea what to do from there. :P:P:P

Anyone? :P:P:P

Jeff

Check out this thread...Crash hunting, aircraft archeology.

PW

Nice, you get to click the image for original size but what about the dpi? Great shot at any rate.
The photo is 1600x1200. So dpi wouldn't the dpi depend on what size you make the photo? So if you made a 5x7 it would be 229dpi......

Nope, picture size and dpi are independently variable.

Image "resolution" actually indicates how large an image pixel is. Ain't that weird?

(Moving photo talk over here). So Harmon if I take a 1600x1200 image with my camera what is the max image size that I should print? Some of these cameras are getting so high in resolution that it seems like you could print a poster with those....

edit: spelling

Edited by TrailGators
Nice, you get to click the image for original size but what about the dpi? Great shot at any rate.
The photo is 1600x1200. So dpi wouldn't the dpi depend on what size you make the photo? So if you made a 5x7 it would be 229dpi......

Nope, picture size and dpi are independently variable.

Image "resolution" actually indicates how large an image pixel is. Ain't that weird?

(Moving photo talk over here). So Harmon if I take a 1600x1200 image with my camera what is the max image size that I should print? Some of these cameras are getting so high in resolution that it seems like you could pring a poster with those....

Oboy, now we're talking technical. To start with check the dpi value for many of the images in your photo gallery and note the differences. If you have Adobe Bridge then just hover the cursor over gallery thumbnail images and note the many dpi values within your photo gallery.

Notice that many, even most of the photos are 72 dpi regardless of image size. Some images will show larger dpi values all the way up toward 300 dpi. Most likely you acquired the 72 dpi photos by downloading them from the Internet. Photos taken from your digital camera will have a dpi value above 72 dpi.

So now open one of the 72 dpi images using Photoshop. On the menu bar select "Image/Image Size" to activate the "Image Size" dialog box. On the Image Size dialog box note that there are two Frames, one named "Pixel Dimensions" and one named "Document Size."

The Document Size frame shows "Width," "Height," and "Resolution." Try changing the Resolution dpi value and note that Width and Height doesn't change. Note also that the "Pixel Dimensions" values are affected by dpi changes. That makes sense because, for example, if you increase the dpi while the document size remains fixed then the fixed-size document is being packed with more, but smaller pixels. Ta-da, "Resolution" is the size of a pixel. Comprende?

There's a subtle technical point that can easily confuse this discussion. When changing the dpi value of an image using Photoshop, let's say increasing the dpi value then the image being viewed on the Photoshop workspace seems to jump to a much larger image size. Not so paleface, remember that your computer monitor is rated at 72 dpi and so to display the increased number of pixels the image must be spread across more of the monitor in order to encompass the increased number of pixels on a 72 dpi display. Still the image document size doesn't change. Shazam!

So what does all this mean, really?

One bad thing it means is that if you increase document Width and Height at fixed dpi then you are making image pixels larger, you know, like stretching an image that's printed on a sheet of rubber. It also means that if you increase the dpi setting alone then Photoshop must add pixels to a fixed-size image in some way that inherently degrades image quality, you know, it has to make up extra pixels in some fashion that's not good for underlying image quality.

So for each and every image there's a natural (Cardinal) print size and dpi value that produces optimal image quality. Enlarging an image will degrade image quality, yes? Reducing an image is another story but only because of a Photoshop feature called "Smart Objects." Converting an image to a Smart Object is akin to converting it to a vector image rather than a raster image. Vector images can be altered in wonderful ways without affecting image quality, but only at Cardinal size.

Reducing an image that hasn't first been converted to a Smart Object will reduce quality.

Reducing an image that has been converted to a "Smart Object" will not reduce image quality but only at the Cardinal Width and Height dimensions established during the reduction.

None of this discussion matters much for images viewed only on a computer monitor that has 72 dpi resolution. Of course one's eyesight and eyeglass correction override much of this discussion as well. For other uses such as high-quality printing and plotting a higher dpi value can produce better print detail but only if the printing device is set to the Cardinal dpi rating of the image in question.

Sorry you asked, huh?

Questions or comments from the gallery?

Edited by SD Rowdies
Wow! That was a mouthful! Thanks for the explanation. Here is a screen shot of what Harmon just said for all you peanuts in the gallery out there:

hikersas1.jpg

Anyhow Harmon, I understand dpi or pitch as we call it in TV land. I also understand that if the resolution of the image doesn't match the resolution of the TV/display it will be scaled to fit, which degrades the image quality.

As a little side note I think it is so funny to watch marketing guys get people so excited about buying a TV that can upscale lower resolution TV images up to HD resolution. All they are really getting is the same image busted up into smaller pieces. It doesn't provide any new information at all! So it's basically smoke and mirrors. However, if people subscribe a service that provides true HD (where every pixel is different than the one next to it) then the image is amazing!

Anyhow, I guess I didn't phase my question exactly right.So I'll ask it in a different way.....What is the lowest dpi that a photo needs to be in order to be perceived as true photographic quality?

Assumptions:

- Perceived resolution is an asymptotic curve. So you would be estimating the 90% point.

- We will use normal viewing distance (if you stand back far enough everything looks good)

- Printer resolution is not a factor (we will use the best printer available)

Edited by TrailGators
Wow! That was a mouthful! Thanks for the explanation. Here is a screen shot of what Harmon just said for all you peanuts in the gallery out there:

hikersas1.jpg

Anyhow Harmon, I understand dpi or pitch as we call it in TV land. I also understand that if the resolution of the image doesn't match the resolution of the TV/display it will be scaled to fit, which degrades the image quality.

As a little side note I think it is so funny to watch marketing guys get people so excited about buying a TV that can upscale lower resolution TV images up to HD resolution. All they are really getting is the same image busted up into smaller pieces. It doesn't provide any new information at all! So it's basically smoke and mirrors. However, if people subscribe a service that provides true HD (where every pixel is different than the one next to it) then the image is amazing!

Anyhow, I guess I didn't phase my question exactly right.So I'll ask it in a different way.....What is the lowest dpi that a photo needs to be in order to be perceived as true photographic quality?

Assumptions:

- Perceived resolution is an asymptotic curve. So you would be estimating the 90% point.

- We will use normal viewing distance (if you stand back far enough everything looks good)

- Printer resolution is not a factor (we will use the best printer available)

Pat,

From your response you clearly have a good grasp of issues that affect image-quality. No doubt I went overboard in my posted remarks, for sure I went overboard for many readers. Thanks for the great screen-shot. I meant to include a screen shot but had an emergency call from Stu and Norma with regard to a network problem that shut down their home and business access to the Internet. I got free lunch out of the favor and a swell hug from sweet Norma..

Anyway, good quality images are possible at 300 dpi and up. Of course any 300 dpi image can be ruined by poor lighting, poor contrast, poor composition, unintended motion of subject or camera body, bad production techniques, wearing unbunched socks, and more.

An interesting thing is that many people are upset by the notion of edited photos, of course their reaction arises mostly when it's their own image that was altered. The truth is that digital images are altered substantially by camera firmware as soon as a photo is taken.

For the most part people accept low resolution images without complaint.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

hikersas1.jpg

Honk! I know where that picture was taken... :unsure:

In the old days, film resolution was measured in lines per inch. Basically, you shot a photo of a test card with a bunch of black and white lines on it. These lines were spaced closer and closer together and the lines per inch value was determined by the density of lines that you could still distinctly resolve in the image. To get the LPI capabilities of a printing process, you used a similar test image. Print it and the effective LPI was where the lines start running together.

So what is "photo quality"? There is no definitive answer and it all depends on your needs. Halftone images in your newspaper are about 85 LPI. Offset printing is typically 130 LPI or so. High quality gravure printing is around 300 LPI. Color slide film is capable of >1600 LPI. Black and white film for photolithograpy is even higher (>10,000 LPI) Generally speaking, the color slide has been the "gold standard" against which digital cameras have been compared but this is overkill for most practical applications.

All that said, "photo-quality" is not purely a matter of resolution. CCDs (the imaging devices in cameras) are still not able to match the contrast capabilities of film (though they can get close enough for most practical uses). Color also has an effect and if you get the colors right (both in the image capture and in the image reproduction), humans observers will often miss the fact that the resolution is relatively low. A 300dpi image from a dye sublimation printer will generally be perceived as being more "photo-like" than a 1200dpi image produced by an ink-jet printer.

hikersas1.jpg

Honk! I know where that picture was taken... :unsure:

In the old days, film resolution was measured in lines per inch. Basically, you shot a photo of a test card with a bunch of black and white lines on it. These lines were spaced closer and closer together and the lines per inch value was determined by the density of lines that you could still distinctly resolve in the image. To get the LPI capabilities of a printing process, you used a similar test image. Print it and the effective LPI was where the lines start running together.

So what is "photo quality"? There is no definitive answer and it all depends on your needs. Halftone images in your newspaper are about 85 LPI. Offset printing is typically 130 LPI or so. High quality gravure printing is around 300 LPI. Color slide film is capable of >1600 LPI. Black and white film for photolithograpy is even higher (>10,000 LPI) Generally speaking, the color slide has been the "gold standard" against which digital cameras have been compared but this is overkill for most practical applications.

All that said, "photo-quality" is not purely a matter of resolution. CCDs (the imaging devices in cameras) are still not able to match the contrast capabilities of film (though they can get close enough for most practical uses). Color also has an effect and if you get the colors right (both in the image capture and in the image reproduction), humans observers will often miss the fact that the resolution is relatively low. A 300dpi image from a dye sublimation printer will generally be perceived as being more "photo-like" than a 1200dpi image produced by an ink-jet printer.

Hey! thanks for the excellent contribution from the gallery. For sure, quality is a final production issue.

It has always thrilled me to consider the skills held by our local Geocaching community. Y'all are smart.

Edited by SD Rowdies
So if 300 dpi is close to the optimum then that means that someone with a 5 megapixel camera can print an 8x10 with 260 dpi resolution or a 5x7 with 370 dpi resolution. So unless you are going to crop your images then 5 megapixel camera is all you will ever really need....

That's reasonable...

Here's what the manual for my Canon 20D says:

L Mode = 3502 x 2336 (~8.2 Mpixels) Print Size A3 or larger

M Mode = 2544 x 1696 (~4.3 Mpixels) Print Size A4 and A5

S Mode = 1728 x 1152 (~2.0 Mpixels) Print Size A5 or smaller

In inches, the ISO paper sizes are:

A3 = 16.54 x 11.69

A4 = 11.69 x 8.27

A5 = 8.27 x 5.83

That said, "all I would ever need" did not come in 5 megapixel camera. I chose an 8 megapixel camera (the 20D) because its color reproduction is phenomenal, because it mates with the Canon EF lens family, because it'll shoot at an effective ISO rating of 3200 (for low light photography) and because it will shoot 5 frames/second (for airshows and rocketry events.)

0ca86e5e-d0f3-45d7-a288-2191b1a687a1.jpg

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
So if 300 dpi is close to the optimum then that means that someone with a 5 megapixel camera can print an 8x10 with 260 dpi resolution or a 5x7 with 370 dpi resolution. So unless you are going to crop your images then 5 megapixel camera is all you will ever really need....

That's reasonable...

A3 = 16.54 x 11.69

A4 = 11.69 x 8.27

A5 = 8.27 x 5.83

That said, "all I would ever need" did not come in 5 megapixel camera. I chose an 8 megapixel camera (the 20D) because its color reproduction is phenomenal, because it mates with the Canon EF lens family, because it'll shoot at an effective ISO rating of 3200 (for low light photography) and because it will shoot 5 frames/second (for airshows and rocketry events.)

I love it ... now figure out how to get that cool camera to produce PUD cake and we've got nirvana.

That's reasonable...

A3 = 16.54 x 11.69

A4 = 11.69 x 8.27

A5 = 8.27 x 5.83

I love it ... now figure out how to get that cool camera to produce PUD cake and we've got nirvana.

A camera can output a PUD cake! Here it is! :unsure:

PineappleUpsideDownCake.jpg

Makes ya want to lick the screen! ;)

Had you bothered to come to the event last night, I'd have made one just for you! :laughing:

Pqmommy,

You are such a sweet lady and I definitely love your PUD cake. Here's an odd revelation, whenever I use my PDA I always think of you because of your PUD cake from the paperless-caching event of days gone by. That may seem odd but the thing is that I never cleaned the pineapple stain off of my PDA screen. Makes it hard t' read th' hints too so my DNFs went up right after I had a second helping of your PUD cake; or perhaps a third helping, I'm not sure.

Kiss, kiss,

Harmon

By the way, have y' ever noticed that when you kiss a really old person ... it lingers? ... if not then I'm available for experimentation. Yowza!

Edited by SD Rowdies

Had you bothered to come to the event last night, I'd have made one just for you! :laughing:

Pqmommy,

You are such a sweet lady and I definitely love your PUD cake. Here's an odd revelation, whenever I use my PDA I always think of you because of your PUD cake from the paperless-caching event of days gone by. That may seem odd but the thing is that I never cleaned the pineapple stain off of my PDA screen. Makes it hard t' read th' hints too so my DNFs went up right after I had a second helping of your PUD cake; or perhaps a third helping, I'm not sure.

Kiss, kiss,

Harmon

By the way, have y' ever noticed that when you kiss a really old person ... it lingers? ... if not then I'm available for experimentation. Yowza!

I'll take your word for it :laughing:

Pqmommy,

Kiss, kiss,

Harmon

I'll take your word for it :laughing:

Why doesn't that surprise me?

Hi Harmon,

I was trying to make a stack bar chart in Excel today using this image instead of boring blue bar. But because it has a white background it doesn't look right when I graph it. So I went into Photoshop Elements and made the background invisible. But when I save it as a jpeg the background goes back to being white. So my question is how do I save just the money without any background as a jpeg?

8e41f336-61bc-4d33-9d73-816d58766efb.jpg

Hello all. I have a quick question that I'm hoping you can help me with. I want to place a coin that I hope to send to Florida via caches. I know that I can set it up on Geocache.com and place it in a cache and cross my fingers and wish really hard and hopefully it'll make it. :mad: However, I was hoping that I could kinda set it up for success. I thought about placing it near the airport and travelers might grab it and take it with them, but which cache? There's one Medical Mania GCX7HT which is a puzzle cache and right across from Terminal two. I think I have it figured out, but I'm also thinking that people getting ready to hop on a plane, may find a puzzle cache too much work for a quick grab. So...any suggestions/advice? Any and all are appreciated. (BTW, I live in East County and cache there, but my travels takes me downtown, Coronado also. Although, I'd be willing to drive some if you guys (the more seasoned cachers) think you have a really good launch point. Once again, thanks. :)

Hi Harmon,

I was trying to make a stack bar chart in Excel today using this image instead of boring blue bar. But because it has a white background it doesn't look right when I graph it. So I went into Photoshop Elements and made the background invisible. But when I save it as a jpeg the background goes back to being white. So my question is how do I save just the money without any background as a jpeg?

Pat,

Thanks for asking about transparent backgrounds, that is to say transparent image mattes. Here's the deal.

A. First know that JPEG images are always opaque and always rectangular. If an image being edited has one or more layers with any amount of transparent matte Photoshop will always fill in the transparent pixels with whatever color is chosen in the Matte field if and when the image is converted to JPEG format.

There is, however, a lame work-around for JPEG images. You can emulate a transparent field for a JPEG image by setting the image-matte color to match the color of a surrounding field such as a web page. To do so sample the web page color and use that sample to set the matte color of the JPEG image. You've seen me do that in order to post non-rectangular images on the "SD Banter" and "This Just In" thread pages. A problem with this approach is that the chosen matte color may shift slightly during compression to JPEG, especially when a lot of compression is used. You'll also note that the gray field-color of quoted Forum posts differs from the unquoted field color so the matchup only works until an image appears within a quoted reply.

B. If you need a transparent matte then you must use either GIF or PNG image format.

Below is an example of a PNG image with a truly transparent matte. Open an image of interest, press keyboard combination "Ctrl-J" to produce an editable layer, turn off the "Background" layer using the little layer eyeball, on the new layer make a selection of the desired matte area, and then press keyboard Del key to erase the selection to transparent. Select "File'Save as ..." and then choose "PNG" as the output format.

Well, this works for a web page and so what must now be determined is whether or nor Microsoft Excel will accept PNG image objects. That's where you come in. I look forward to hearing how that goes for your effort.

cc6dbff4-c854-4925-82ce-2714ac33ac81.jpg

Hah! ain't that funny? There's that blamed white matte in spite of my best intentions. Looks like Geocaching.com always converts images to JPEG before posting them. Well, shoot, you get the idea even though my demonstration fell flat.

Questions and comments?

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Hi Harmon,

Pat,

Thanks for asking about transparent backgrounds, that is to say transparent image mattes. Here's the deal.

A. First know that JPEG images are always opaque and always rectangular. If an image being edited has one or more layers with any amount of transparent matte Photoshop will always fill in the transparent pixels with whatever color is chosen in the Matte field if and when the image is converted to JPEG format.

There is, however, a lame work-around for JPEG images. You can emulate a transparent field for a JPEG image by setting the image-matte color to match the color of a surrounding field such as a web page. To do so sample the web page color and use that sample to set the matte color of the JPEG image. You've seen me do that in order to post non-rectangular images on the "SD Banter" and "This Just In" thread pages. A problem with this approach is that the chosen matte color may shift slightly during compression to JPEG, especially when a lot of compression is used. You'll also note that the gray field-color of quoted Forum posts differs from the unquoted field color so the matchup only works until an image appears within a quoted reply.

B. If you need a transparent matte then you must use either GIF or PNG image format.

Below is an example of a PNG image with a truly transparent matte. Open an image of interest, press keyboard combination "Ctrl-J" to produce an editable layer, turn off the "Background" layer using the little layer eyeball, on the new layer make a selection of the desired matte area, and then press keyboard Del key to erase the selection to transparent. Select "File'Save as ..." and then choose "PNG" as the output format.

Well, this works for a web page and so what must now be determined is whether or nor Microsoft Excel will accept PNG image objects. That's where you come in. I look forward to hearing how that goes for your effort.

cc6dbff4-c854-4925-82ce-2714ac33ac81.jpg

Hah! ain't that funny? There's that blamed white matte in spite of my best intentions. Looks like Geocaching.com always converts images to JPEG before posting them. Well, shoot, you get the idea even though my demonstration fell flat.

Questions and comments?

Harmon

Thanks Harmon! Here is a chart similar to the one I was trying to make:

b56c128d-2c81-4e0d-b2b0-c5f1957ab4b8.jpg

When I get to work on Monday, I'll try using a GIF!

I was just told by my company that I take up space at, They want me to do some more Geocaching. This time it's between Boston and N. New Hampshire. Oh Ya....Talk to a company about some wire too.

As this firms up anybody have some TB that need to head east?

When are you going? I'm planning to register a coin to travel, eventually to Florida. However, I'm thinking getting it to the East coast in one move would be outstanding.

If that won't work, does anyone have a suggestion for a good start off location? I'd like to place it well so that it has a better chance of making it.

Thanks.

I was just told by my company that I take up space at, They want me to do some more Geocaching. This time it's between Boston and N. New Hampshire. Oh Ya....Talk to a company about some wire too.

As this firms up anybody have some TB that need to head east?

When are you going? I'm planning to register a coin to travel, eventually to Florida. However, I'm thinking getting it to the East coast in one move would be outstanding.

If that won't work, does anyone have a suggestion for a good start off location? I'd like to place it well so that it has a better chance of making it.

Thanks.

There are several local cachers that travel like Team Geogeeks and Habu. So maybe check with them....

e3d21a4e-5db0-4754-8dbe-80b246f5da9b.jpg

Hey wait a minute! I don't remember that! :(:(:rolleyes:

Nobody noticed how well I re-did the hind quarters on that elephant using the stamp tool technique that Harmon showed us awhile back. The tail on the original photo pointed straight down so I had to move it to the right and fill the void. I just noticed that I kind of screwed up on the top part of the tail but the bottom part came out pretty good if I must say so myself! B)

Becoming Illegal (From a Maryland resident to his senator)

The Honorable Paul S. Sarbanes

Senate Office Building

309 Hart

Washington DC, 20510

Dear Senator Sarbanes,

As a native Marylander and excellent customer of the Internal Revenue Service, I am writing to ask for your assistance. I have contacted the Department of Homeland Security in an effort to determine the process for becoming an illegal alien and they referred me to you.

My primary reason for wishing to change my status from U.S. Citizen to illegal alien stem from the bill which was recently passed by the Senate and for which you voted. If my understanding of this bill's provisions is accurate, as an illegal alien who has been in the United States for five years, all I need to do to become a citizen is to pay a $2,000 fine and income taxes for three of the last five years. I know a good deal when I see one and I am anxious to get the process started before everyone figures it out.

Simply put, those of us who have been here legally have had to pay taxes every year so I'm excited about the prospect of avoiding two years of taxes in return for paying a $2,000 fine. Is there any way that I can apply to be illegal retroactively? This would yield an excellent result for me and my family because we paid heavy taxes in 2004 and 2005.

Additionally, as an illegal alien I could begin using the local emergency room as my primary health care provider. Once I have stopped paying premiums for medical insurance, my accountant figures I could save almost $10,000 a year. Another benefit in gaining illegal status would be that my daughter would receive preferential treatment relative to her law school applications, as well as "in-state" tuition rates for many colleges throughout the United States for my son.

Lastly, I understand that illegal status would relieve me of the burden of renewing my driver's license and making those burdensome car insurance premiums. This is very important to me given that I still have college age children driving my car.

If you would provide me with an outline of the process to become illegal (retroactively if possible) and copies of the necessary forms, I would be most appreciative. Thank you for your assistance.

Your Loyal Constituent,

Pete McGlaughlin

:unsure::mad::o:o