San Diego Banter

TrailGators

John of Team Fatman emailed a question to me today that I haven't been able to answer.

When he accesses the Geocaching home page the banner photos are missing and the fields for the photos are dark gray in color. He tried several refreshes with no result. Below is his screen capture.

Also I notice that there are a few other elements such as line-rules missing from the home-page image.

Any ideas?

f6b404cf-b67a-43f8-a133-e03a5e7a179d.jpg

I'd guess that you caught the web masters in the act of gearing up for earth day. :lol:
John of Team Fatman emailed a question to me today that I haven't been able to answer.

When he accesses the Geocaching home page the banner photos are missing and the fields for the photos are dark gray in color. He tried several refreshes with no result. Below is his screen capture.

Also I notice that there are a few other elements such as line-rules missing from the home-page image.

Any ideas?

Try clearing the temporary internet files.

Any ideas?

Good suggestion! I was thinking the same thing might work....

Any ideas?

Good thinking. I'll pass it on.

Any ideas?

Did that and the cookies. Still the same.

Thanks my son will look at it after church.

Any ideas?

What browser/version are you using? Looking at the source of the home page, it appears your browser doesn't like links that start with "./" (for example, the stylesheet, the search buttons). If that's the case, this appears to be a design flaw with the site.

Any ideas?

What browser/version are you using? Looking at the source of the home page, it appears your browser doesn't like links that start with "./" (for example, the stylesheet, the search buttons). If that's the case, this appears to be a design flaw with the site.

After church huh? Prayer might help.

Any ideas?

Yahoo, whats funny is it was working

:lol::laughing: Are there any creative folks out there that might like to design a sticker or pin for the MTRP Armistice BBQ? We're hopeless. r/ jl

Talk to Team Geogeeks next weekend at the Campout that's what JD (John) does. Remember the stickers from the last Campout, Which looked great :ph34r::unsure:

SKILLET

Not sure if this is related but, check it out.

I suggested the possibility of ad-blocking software as a cause but apparently that wasn't the reason.

My son got home from church and we found a check next to a thing on pop-up blocker so we unchecked it and now it works. Thanks for all you help.

Aha! demon excised. Good going John and son, see, prayer did help. Next chance y' get don't check that thingy.

Edited by SD Rowdies

I suggested the possibility of ad-blocking software as a cause but apparently that wasn't the reason.

My son got home from church and we found a check next to a thing on pop-up blocker so we unchecked it and now it works. Thanks for all you help.

Aha! demon excised. Good going John and son, see, prayer did help. Next chance y' get don't check that thingy.

Funny thing is I don't know how it got checked, had to of been a demon.

The demon returned, yesterday some how a breaker tripped and now I think my hard drive is fryed ,so my son is letting me use his computer but I can't check my e-mail.

The demon returned, yesterday some how a breaker tripped and now I think my hard drive is fryed ,so my son is letting me use his computer but I can't check my e-mail.

Hey John, that's an easy one. You can blame it on your son.

Most internet providers have webmail. It's a little clunky but it works in an emergency.

If you have Cox, it's http://webmail.cox.net. Other providers will have a similar address.

Edited by Toby's Gang

Most internet providers have webmail. It's a little clunky but it works in an emergency.

If you have Cox, it's http://webmail.cox.net. Other providers will have a similar address.

If you want a gmail account (Google) let me know and I'll send you one!

(Include your email address)

Edited by TrailGators

You are the man, thanks maybe I'll be ok. I checked my e-mail :laughing: I remember when Skillet lost his computer and had withdrawns from not being able to read his e-mail.Thanks again.

What part of I'm using his computer did you miss. :laughing:

What part of I'm using his computer did you miss. :laughing:

:huh::blink::blink:

What part of I'm using his computer did you miss. :wub:

:):wub::)

:P I got my computer fixed and I'm happy :laughing:

I was following in the tracks of Duncan!/Chuy/GoBolts northeast of Ocotillo Wells early Friday morning. Here is one of Duncans! log entries I saw while posting my own. So is this considered a quality cache outing or a car-jacking? ^_^

-GD

April 28 by Duncan! (3468 found)

Hey Now!

Please help me! Two geocaching crazed lunatics have forced me to drive them to the desert looking for ammo boxes/tins/tupperware hidden under rocks/bushes/sidewinders. I'm having trouble remembering the exact details of this cache, but I know we had fun. TNLNSL. Thanks,

D!

I was following in the tracks of Duncan!/Chuy/GoBolts northeast of Ocotillo Wells early Friday morning. Here is one of Duncans! log entries I saw while posting my own. So is this considered a quality cache outing or a car-jacking? ^_^

-GD

April 28 by Duncan! (3468 found)

Hey Now!

Please help me! Two geocaching crazed lunatics have forced me to drive them to the desert looking for ammo boxes/tins/tupperware hidden under rocks/bushes/sidewinders. I'm having trouble remembering the exact details of this cache, but I know we had fun. TNLNSL. Thanks,

D!

I'd say he got exactly what he deserved!!!!! :)^_^:):D

f66c525a-1a6c-4cbe-81da-6cf2e656c287.jpg

Pic test

I'm going to guess that it is the cache " A - DAY " in her hand? :anitongue:

I remember that one!

Harmon are you feeling OK? I thought by now that you would have transformed the apple into the Creature from the Black Lagoon or something like that.... :laughing:

Actually I met that sweet young lady last night while doing a good deed for her dad.

Team Duckit is going paperless and so asked me to drop by and push on a few keys in the right order for him. Things went well and we also talked about posting photos to various Geocaching features thus the "Pic test."

The other factor is that I'm writing the next Photoshop Banter lesson tonight. ... all about shadows by way of inverted luminosity. I'm considering one of those RocketMan Rubi' photos for the source file. Anybody recall what the next lesson number should be? I can't keep track.

Thanks for thinking of me,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
Team Duckit is going paperless and so asked me to drop by and push on a few keys in the right order for him. Things went well and we also talked about posting photos to various Geocaching features thus the "Pic test."
Alright then... a7babae4-c3b6-4d52-825d-ef2154c8f250.jpg
Anybody recall what the next lesson number should be? I can't keep track. Thanks for thinking of me, Harmon
I believe Lesson 15 is the next! :anitongue:

754da2e0-981a-4394-b5be-8c397556fb93.jpg

Good gosh, and with a monkey hat. Anybody know a place that I can get a good makeover?

Ug-ly!

TFTC, y' beat me to that window. Thought about it but had some domestic duties instead. There is a higher power.

Edited by SD Rowdies

LESSON 15. More on Shadows

Introduction

Whether you asked for it or not this lesson explores another aspect of processing image shadows. Past lessons dealt with drop shadows and cast shadows as they pertain to improving the appearance of compositional elements that have been moved from one image to another. Shadows and fringes are the two things most likely to spoil composite images.

This lesson will demonstrate a somewhat advanced way to pluck existing shadows from a source image and place them perfectly into a destination image. This method pays off handsomely for faint shadows that have a range of subtle transparency. It may at first seem odd to say but our world is full of beautiful shadows that when photographed deserve the same care and attention given to cardinal elements of an image.

Discussion

This lesson demonstrates a way to select and transfer shadows from image to image by inverting image luminosity. What is image luminosity? Simply said image luminosity is the entire range of reflected brightness contained in a scene captured by a camera. To invert luminosity is to select the darker elements of a scene rather than the brighter elements. Therein lies the means to pluck subtle shadows from an image. That’s the good news.

Here’s the bad news, inverting luminosity has an inherent difficulty. The method works easily on images in which shadows fall upon uniformly bright and featureless backgrounds. Otherwise extra effort is needed to clean up unwanted elements of inverted luminosity so that the final result includes only desired shadow elements. Not to worry, a bit of work with the Photoshop Erasure tool or keyboard Del key eliminates the bad news with ease.

The intent here is to work with an image that will require that extra bit of effort described in the paragraph just above. That way more will be learned about using this technique in less than ideal situations.

Procedures

Step 1. Open the source image with Photoshop. Now use the Magnetic Lasso tool to carefully select RocketMan’s new Jeep Rubicon but do not include the shadow of the Jeep. Refine the selection carefully by using either the “Add to selection” and/or “Subtract from selection” icons found at the left end of the tool Options bar that’s just above the image workspace, or use the Paintbrush tool while in the “Edit in Quick Mask Mode.” Activate the Quick Mask mode by clicking the related button that’s near the bottom of the Tools toolbar.

Step 2. Once the selection is completed press keyboard combination Ctrl-J. Confirm that a new layer appears on the Layers Pallet just above the Background layer. Confirm that this new layer includes only the Jeep that was selected from the Background layer. The next step will load Background layer luminosity.

Step 3. Reactivate the Background layer. Press keyboard combination Ctrl-Alt-Shift-~. Yes indeed, that’s a “tilde” at the end of the keyboard combination. Notice that selection-marquees now appear around all of the bright areas of the Background layer. To confirm this just follow along any one of the marquee loops to see that it closes over a bright area of the image. Here now is the key to this exercise, inverting the luminosity selection deselects the bright areas of the image and selects the dark areas, including the desired shadow of the Jeep.

Step 4. Watch the image carefully while pressing keyboard combination Crtl-Shift-I and notice that the inverted luminosity-selection marquees now surround the dark areas of the image. Also notice that the dark areas not only include the Jeep shadow but also include many other dark areas of the image. Recall from the introductory remarks that it is easier to extract shadows from a uniformly bright background than from a complex background. What we have here is the bad-news situation mentioned in the introductory remarks. Not to worry, uncle Harmon will lead us through the ugly stuff. Our next step will extract the inverted-luminosity, shall we say the darkness-selection onto a separate layer.

Step 5. Add a new blank layer above the Background layer by clicking the “Create a new layer” icon that’s located at the very bottom of the Layers Pallet. Now press the keyboard ‘D’ key to set foreground color to black and then press keyboard combination Alt-Backspace to fill the inverted-luminosity selection with black. Now press keyboard combination Ctrl-D to eliminate the selection.

NOTE: Now is a good time to see what inverted luminosity really looks like alone. On the Layer pallet deselect all but the inverted-luminosity layer by clicking the Eyeball icon for each of the other layers. Note that this layer is composed of various shades of gray including the very dark shadow of the Jeep. What you see is the darkness information contained in the entire image with lots of transparency variation.

Step 6. With only the darkness layer active use the Magnetic Lasso tool to select just the dark shadowed areas under the Jeep. Refine the selection using either or both methods described in Step 1 of this lesson. Be particularly careful to select around the curvature of the Jeep tires so that they are not included in this selection. Once the selection is made press keyboard combination Ctrl-Shift-I to invert the selection just made. Now press the keyboard Del key to erase all but the shadow of the Jeep from the darkness layer. Too cool huh?

NOTE: Left to the participant is the possibility that the opacity of the very dark shadow can be changed at this point of the lesson by using the Opacity slider that can be found at upper left of the Layer pallet. Doing so will allow underlying surface texture of the destination image to show through the very dark Jeep shadow.

Step 7. Reactivate the Background and Jeep layers and make the Background layer active. Select the entire Background layer by pressing keyboard combination Ctrl-A. Now press the keyboard Del key once again to erase everything from the Background layer. Now only the Jeep layer and Shadow layer images have content.

NOTE: Selection errors made in the early steps of this lesson will show up at this stage. Look carefully at the boundaries between the Jeep layer and the shadow layer. If the Jeep image and the shadow image do not match up perfectly then more care is needed when making selections. Sorry.

Step 8. This step will merge the Jeep and shadow layers. Click on the Jeep layer to make it active. Press keyboard combination Ctrl-E to merge the two layers. There we have it, a merged layer with the Jeep Rubicon and shadow of the Jeep together as we wanted them.

Step 9. The remaining step of this lesson is to place the merged result of this lesson into a suitable setting. The tough part of this step is to find a new background image that has lighting and geometric elements that are compatible with the lighting and perspective of the Jeep and shadow. Open the destination image in Photoshop.

Step 10. Reduce the frame size of the destination image by clicking the “Restore Down” button at the upper-right corner of the image frame. Using the Photoshop Move Tool simply click and drag the merged Jeep/Shadow image from the source image into the destination image. Once there press keyboard combination Ctrl-T to activate the image Free Transform function and then hold keyboard combination Shift-Alt while resizing the Jeep image to suite the background setting. Finally click and drag the Jeep & Shadow image into a pleasing final position within the background setting. Press the keyboard Enter key to apply the transformation.

Step 11. Save and post results on the San Diego Banter thread for all to admire. Also feel free to produce and post other compositions using this luminosity-inversion technique for keeping real shadows associated with compositional elements of composite images.

Remarks

You may wonder why this technique improves on simply using a selection tool to select the Jeep and the dark Shadow image together from the original background image. Glad you asked because in this situation either approach yields just about the same result with the exception that shadow opacity can be altered without affecting Jeep opacity. That alone is a big bonus; however, the low-down dirty truth is that using an inverted-luminosity approach is best suited for extracting very transparent shadows cast on bright, featureless backgrounds such as are used for studio layouts aimed at product advertising. An unmentioned intent of this lesson was to give participants a bit of insight into the world of professional photo editing as well as offering an introduction to the interesting realm of digital-image luminosity. Who knows, maybe some future Banter lesson will build on this introduction.

Images

e4f32c43-2ac1-4a7c-829a-01c62937a606.jpg

Source Image. (Needs dirt.)

03c865ba-5ec3-4dd9-bca0-2eabc0eb263a.jpg

Destination Image. (Needs water.)

3871be8b-3c84-4413-a29a-18fa565e7c4a.jpg

Resultant Image. (Needs to loan it to me.)

Edited by SD Rowdies

That was a fun and useful lesson Harmon! Thanks for again taking the time and effort to post it! :D I had to make a copy of the background on the merged image and then use the clone tool and the paintbrush to touch up small but obvious areas where the shadow and the Jeep didn't match! :)

4083fb7c-4332-45cc-8fed-73108df7a98b.jpg

Resultant Image. (Needs to loan it to me too! :ninja: )

Edited by TrailGators

That was a fun and useful lesson Harmon! Thanks for again taking the time and effort to post it! :P I had to make a copy of the background on the merged image and then use the clone tool and the paintbrush to touch up small but obvious areas where the shadow and the Jeep didn't match! :P

4083fb7c-4332-45cc-8fed-73108df7a98b.jpg

Resultant Image. (Needs to loan it to me too! :P )

Nice work Pat, looks terrific.

Yep, because the tires of the Jeep where the rubber meets the shadow are equally as dark it's really hard to divide the selection precisely.

One way to ease that pain is to make the selection using the color channel that provides the most contrast between tires and shadow. I just didn't think it necessary to go there for this lesson. You might try using a channel rather than the layer for selection if you encounter this contrast situation on some future editing task.

Another thing worth knowing is to use the Expand command to increase the size of a selection by an adjustable number of pixels. If the boundary between an object and it's shadow doesn't line up by a small amount then return to the shadow-selection layer and use the Select/Modify/Expand command to close the gap between shadow and object.

Here's an unusual approach, invert the first selection made, say the Jeep, and then use the Magnetic Lasso tool in "Subtract from selection" mode to dispose of everything but the shadow within the inverted image. More work but that will assure a precise match where the rubber meets the shadow. Lot's more work to be sure but quite effective.

Shall I go on? I try to avoid too much detail for Banter lessons even though it probably doesn't seem so. Trouble is that with Photoshop it's hard to imagine a limit to the number of ways a task can be accomplished.

Guess that takes care of my Photoshop Banter following of one.

Edited by SD Rowdies

I did have one question [which might be a dumb (but that wouldn't be the first time)] but why couldn't we have just grabbed the shadow when we grabbed the jeep?

I'm not sure what happened to everyone either....I guess we need to post some funny pictures of those people to get them want to learn! :) OK Harmon, who should be the first victim! :cry:

I did have one question [which might be a dumb (but that wouldn't be the first time)] but why couldn't we have just grabbed the shadow when we grabbed the jeep?

Really good questiion Pat, just as I alluded to in my follow-up message.

Here's the deal, surface textures and colors of an image often show through faint and even dark shadows. Yes?

To prove this assertion just open Lesson 15 source image, activate the "Info" pallet, and then scan around within the shadow of the Jeep while watching the RGB values displayed on the Info pallet. You'll see that there is coloration data in the shadow and that it varies from point to point and that it seldom shows equal amounts of red, green, and blue.

The luminosity-inversion method leaves source-image texture and coloration data behind when a shadow is moved from one image to another. Luminosity involves only the brightness and, inversely, darkness of an image. Recall what the luminosity layer looked like midway through Lesson 15, just shades of gray right? ... and no coloration or texture at all right?

Because luminosity carries no color/texture information at all then the color and texture information of the destination image will combine with the brightness/darkness information brought in from the source image shadow. That gives us the best of both worlds and exactly why the luminosity-inversion method yields realism in spite of the tedious work involved when an image background is complex. For uniformly bright backgrounds and faint shadows this effect is pronounced and would seem to be a shadow actually cast in the scene captured by the destination-image.

So there you are, a peek under the hood of professional Photoshop editing. There's more to be found there than might first be expected.

Not bad for an old cowboy, huh?

Regards,,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Really good questiion Pat, just as I alluded to in my follow-up message.

Here's the deal, surface textures and colors of an image often show through faint and even dark shadows. Yes?

To prove this to yourself open the Lesson 15 source image, activate the "Info" pallet, and then scan around within the shadow of the Jeep while watching the RGB values displayed on the Info pallet. You'll see that there is coloration data in the shadow and that it varies from point to point and that it seldom shows equal amounts of red, green, and blue.

The luminosity-inversion method leaves source-image texture and coloration data behind when a shadow is moved from one image to another. Luminosity involves only the brightness and, inversely, darkness of an image. Recall what the luminosity layer looked like midway through Lesson 15, just shades of gray right? ... and no coloration or texture at all right?

Because luminosity carries no color/texture information at all then the color and texture information of the destination image will combine with the brightness/darkness information brought in from the source image shadow. That gives us the best of both worlds and exactly why the luminosity-inversion method yields realism in spite of the tedious work involved when the image background is complex. For uniformly bright backgrounds and faint shadows this effect is pronounced.

So there you are, a peek under the hood of professional Photoshop editing. There's more to be found there than might first be expected.

Not bad for an old cowboy, huh?

Regards,,

Harmon

Thanks for the explanation Harmon. I get it now.

I'm not sure what happened to everyone either....I guess we need to post some funny pictures of those people to get them want to learn! :) OK Harmon, who should be the first victim! :D

I don't have PhotoShop, but here is my rushed, very crude attempt using Corel PhotoPaint. :cry:

627e96e9-e70a-4548-bc43-b5bbc67f9dd5.jpg

Now, please don't post any funny pictures of me . . . :D

I'm not sure what happened to everyone either....I guess we need to post some funny pictures of those people to get them want to learn! :D OK Harmon, who should be the first victim! :D

I don't have PhotoShop, but here is my rushed, very crude attempt using Corel PhotoPaint. :cry:

Miragee,

Good for you!

Thanks ever-so much for undertaking this effort. I'm delighted to see your result. Wow! you even doubled the audience for Lesson 15.

Funny pictures of you? Who me? Perhaps you have forgotten the image that I posted of you and Princess Toadstool hugging that old goat Carpenter from Hell. :) Hmm, guess I'll have to check and see how you wear your socks.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

I'm not sure what happened to everyone either....I guess we need to post some funny pictures of those people to get them want to learn! :D OK Harmon, who should be the first victim! :D

Nice job Miragee! That takes you off the list! :)

Pssst: I did the same thing you did on my first stab at this and left the blue sky on the passenger side of Dave's jeep!

Edited by TrailGators

Pssst: I did the same thing you did on my first stab at this and left the blue sky on the passenger side of Dave's jeep!

Okay . . . how's this?

ed0beb8a-536c-4d63-a992-2fb89bfd7437.jpg

TFTC, that is a great pic! :cry:

Edit to put in better pic . . .

Edited by Miragee

Okay . . . how's this?

8bd34522-e088-4d50-90d7-1019c558efb2.jpg

TFTC, that is a great pic! :cry:

P.S to Miragee - how did you mask the jeep in Corel Paint? (that's what I have too). I did it the hard way with the mask brush. Unfortunately, my shadow ended up at the bottom of Lake Powell! :D

I use the Lasso Mask and carefully draw around the jeep. I have a the old version 7 of PhotoPaint.

In the second picture (not the one you copied), I cleaned up the edges a bit more and changed the color of the open areas beneath the jeep.

ed0beb8a-536c-4d63-a992-2fb89bfd7437.jpg

It looks a bit better . . . :cry: