San Diego Banter

TrailGators

Umm ....

og-43.jpg

Didn't mean it in a bad way, Buckwheat was cool! Plus I did use the new technique. :( But for some reason Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2 and Ctrl+3 worked the first time but I couldn't get it to work again. So I had to select Multichannel from the dropdown menu on top....Not sure what I did to make the ctrl buttons quit working....

Edited by TrailGators
Umm ....

og-43.jpg

Didn't mean it in a bad way, Buckwheat was cool! Plus I did use the new technique. :( But for some reason Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2 and Ctrl+3 worked the first time but I couldn't get it to work again. So I had to select Multichannel from the dropdown menu on top....Not sure what I did to make the ctrl buttons quit working....

Buckwheat was way cool!!! So was the whole Gang.

I used to love watching this show when I was a kid. In reruns of coarse.

Umm ....

og-43.jpg

Buckwheat was way cool!!! So was the whole Gang.

I used to love watching this show when I was a kid. In reruns of coarse.

Me too! When I saw that sign today in Daley Ranch it made me think of the Little Rascals and great childhood memories!

Photoshop Lesson 14: Grayscale Enhancement Another Way

Introduction

Lesson 13 described one way to expand the dynamic range of a grayscale image using adobe Photoshop. Of course there are many other ways to do the same job. This lesson demonstrates another other interesting way to extract a grayscale image from a digital color photograph. This approach will make use of the lightness channel of the Lab-Color image mode.

Practice Photograph

This image is a composite of an Arizona citadel used as a background for a group of well-known San Diego Geocachers.

3fc5a80c-ee92-4d8f-864c-15b2dd5c7895.jpg

Procedures

Step 1. Using Photoshop, open the practice photograph.

Step 2. On the Workspace Menu Bar select Image/Mode/Lab Color.

Step 3. On the Channels pallet note that the Lab Mode is composed of “Lightness, a, and b” channels. The “a” and “b” channels hold all color information as opposed to the monochrome Lightness channel that holds no color information whatsoever. As you can see the Lightness channel is a monochrome image and so we will make use of it to extract a monochrome image from the original color image.

Step 4. On the Workspace menu Bar select Image/Mode/Grayscale. A “Discard color information?” window will pop up. Click OK and note that the color “a” and “b” channels are lost. The Channel Pallet now shows only a Gray channel. Also note that the workspace grayscale image didn’t change at all because it holds only the information from the Lab-Color Lightness channel..

NOTE: For the purpose of this lesson we take the position that the scenic background is rather flat in terms of grayscale range and that the figures in the foreground already have plenty of grayscale range as it is. Thus our challenge is to increase the grayscale range of the background but leave the foreground as it is.

Step 5. On the Layers/Channels pallet click the Layers tab. Press keyboard combination Ctrl-J to duplicate the Background layer. Now click the “Select blending mode for the layer” access-arrow and choose the “Multiply” blending mode. Note that the entire image becomes far too dark.

Step 6. On the Layers pallet select the “Set the master opacity for the layer” access arrow and drag the Opacity slider left to about 30% or until you are satisfied with the appearance of the scenic background. Note that the figures in the foreground, especially the facial areas, are still too dark.

Step 7. With Layer 1 selected click the “Add layer mask” icon at the bottom of the Layer Pallet. Note that a white layer-mask thumbnail has been added to the title-bar of Layer 1.

NOTE: Our next objective is to remove a bit of the Layer Mask in order to reveal the lighter facial features that remain on the unaltered Background layer. Removing portions of a Layer Mask is accomplished by painting black foreground color onto the mask with the Brush tool.

Step 8. Press key “X” until the “Set foreground color” swatch at the bottom of the Tools toolbar is black. Now choose a medium size Brush tool from the Tools toolbar. Carefully paint over just the facial features, hair, and neck of the foreground individuals. As you paint note the black Brush tool removes the darker Layer 1 image and reveals the lighter Background image. Make sure that you “paint within the lines” so that the scenic background is unaffected. Also note that areas that were painted black now show on the Layer Mask.

Step 9. Save your work either as a .psd file or as a flattened .jpg file. Do feel free to show results on the SD Banter Thread and also feel free to comment on the lesson.

Discussion

This lesson demonstrated how to use a Lab -Lightness Channel, a layer blending mode, a layer opacity setting, and a layer mask to extract a grayscale image from a color image, and how to increase the dynamic range of the resulting grayscale image.

With any luck at all one or two people will have discovered something new about the wonderful set of image-editing tools that we call by the name Adobe Photoshop.

134dcdc0-fe10-4177-a877-9842d7ed87c8.jpg

The affect is overemphasized in this image in order to make the changes easy to see. In practice the changes should be moderated by adjusting Layer 1 Opacity.

Beyond that this image could be much improved by processing the sky on a separate layer from the landscape features. Perhaps that would be a good exercise for others to try.

Edited by SD Rowdies

9d80949d-8a94-4aef-83c1-4f18b817b7db.jpg

Thanks for another lesson Harmon! :unsure:

By the way, where was that photo taken?

Ship Rock is on the Navaho Reservation in Northern Arizona. Shot the photo while a bunch of us were heading to Lake Powell a couple of years ago. The foreground shot was taken at Sandy Creek Ranch last year.

Notice that the foreground lighting doesn't match the background lighting. A quicky editing job I must say but it served the needs of Lesson 14.

:D Ok, this isn't exactly photoshop material, but it is fun! Check this out:

Geocache-mobile Commercial

Hey! that's a great video. Guess I'll have to fire up my video editing suite.

Just imagine, a Geocaching pitch from an auto manufacturer. Maybe we've hit the big-time.

Hehe, you don't even have to - you can make your own right there. I made that one! :D

Nice work. I've held back on introducing video productions to this thread. So now maybe the ice is broken?

Just imagine, a Geocaching pitch from an auto manufacturer. Maybe we've hit the big-time.

Hehe, you don't even have to - you can make your own right there. I made that one! :D

Nice work. I've held back on introducing video productions to this thread. So now maybe the ice is broken?

I have Adobe Premiere Pro (not current version) - what suite do you use? It'll be interesting to see how we post video clips here!

I have Adobe Premiere Pro (not current version) - what suite do you use? It'll be interesting to see how we post video clips here!

Early on I encountered uLead Media Studio Pro and DVD Workshop and have stuck with them. Also use ScenalyzerLive for capturing and several other special-purpose utilities. Have used Adobe Premier when doing work for pay.

Had to beef up my Sony media computer by installing three large internal drives and two large external drives for a total of about 850 Gbytes. One internal drive is for the operating system, the second internal drive is for data/video/photo and personal files, and the third internal drive is for the O/S swap file, all temp files including GSAK database backups, and Ghost backup images for the other two drives. This arrangement takes a load off of the O/S drive.

External drives are for archiving. Really valuable production work is finally moved to DVD for more permanent archiving. Runs like a fine watch and sure beats the old days of system crashes during each end every rendering task.

Big problem with posting lengthy video productions is the file sizes. Would need to host the files on a server and provide URL links for Forum posts I suppose.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

:) Ok, this isn't exactly photoshop material, but it is fun! Check this out:

That's awesome TFTC! :D The possibilities are now endless..... :D

Here's one to honor John & Jess's latest FTF:

The adventures of John & Jess

That's awesome TFTC! :) The possibilities are now endless..... :D

:D

:) Ok, this isn't exactly photoshop material, but it is fun! Check this out:

That's awesome TFTC! :grin: The possibilities are now endless..... :D

:)

I liked that one!! That's really funny.

:laughing: Ok, this isn't exactly photoshop material, but it is fun! Check this out:

That's awesome TFTC! :D The possibilities are now endless..... :D

:laughing:

I liked that one!! That's really funny.

I loke that one too! ;)

Ship Rock is on the Navaho Reservation in Northern Arizona. Shot the photo while a bunch of us were heading to Lake Powell a couple of years ago. The foreground shot was taken at Sandy Creek Ranch last year.

A standard feature of New Mexico Magazine is a column named "One of Our Fifty Is Missing". It's filled with stories about the non-state of New Mexico...

For the record...Ship Rock is on the Navajo Reservation but it is not in Arizona... :laughing:

Oh, wait! I understand now! It was photoshopped 100 miles to the west... :laughing:

Wow, we let this one slip by while out of the country! Outstanding work TFTC...too funny!! :blink::lol:

We did go down there for a vacation...really...:yikes: the FTF just kinda happened :anicute::lol:

Our internet connection was spotty at best so we never checked the forums while down there and somehow missed it until Gecko Dad's post brought it up to the top again. Thanks GD! Great shot of Ruscal, is that somewhere near Villager Peak?

~Jess

Wow, we let this one slip by while out of the country! Outstanding work TFTC...too funny!! :):D

We did go down there for a vacation...really... :huh: the FTF just kinda happened :unsure::)

Our internet connection was spotty at best so we never checked the forums while down there and somehow missed it until Gecko Dad's post brought it up to the top again. Thanks GD! Great shot of Ruscal, is that somewhere near Villager Peak?

~Jess

Hi Jess, it's good to have you guys back! Say do you have a couple of cool photos from South America that you'd like to post here! :)

Say, maybe we need a photo-of-the month contest.

Too good Don and Ruscal, keep up the good work.

Ok, here's some source material to test what bizarre artistic concepts might be lurking out there in the Banter fringes ...

-GD

4/15/2006, Desert Iguana, Fish Creek Wash

42963cad-da2f-452b-b809-4446f4628528.jpg

That's an exceptional shot Don, but I just have to ask, how long did it take you to get that shot?

Ok, here's some source material to test what bizarre artistic concepts might be lurking out there in the Banter fringes ...

-GD

4/15/2006, Desert Iguana, Fish Creek Wash

That's an exceptional shot Don, but I just have to ask, how long did it take you to get that shot?

The iquana and I were together for about 10 minutes at two different locations. I got to within 3 feet for much of the time - down low to the ground after a first "test shot" to ensure I had an image before the lizard moved. Boy did it move quickly, too - bipedally. One moment right in front of me, the next moment 15 feet away after Gecko Gurl made a slight move toward it (she said she wanted to show me she could catch it - not!)

I took about twenty frames to ensure I bracketed exposure, focus, and most importantly, head position and expression. It moved its head this way and that and not every orientation was equally effective in composition. Most of the shots turned out quite good, though. For any animal photograph, it is essential that the eye be in as crisp of focus as possible. Here is another shot taken at the second spot after it dashed over and settled in on these rocks.

-GD

88b63d68-945a-4a6e-8280-bd03b439fce6.jpg

I'm not sure how many of you are aware of it but Sony has now entered into the GPS market. Here is a website that shows a new Sony GPS that is available in Japan. Most new products that Sony creates are first test-marketed in Japan. So imagine in the not too distant future driving down the road and seeing something similar to this on your GPS: :D

b93cb43a-9093-4bf5-b113-4bba7ea18581.jpg

Edited by TrailGators

I'm not sure how many of you are aware of it but Sony has now entered into the GPS market. Here is a website that shows a new Sony GPS that is available in Japan. Most new products that Sony creates are first test-marketed in Japan. So imagine in the not too distant future driving down the road and seeing something similar to this on your GPS: :D

Where's the arrow pointing to the exact cache location? :D

Where's the arrow pointing to the exact cache location? :D

I think the plans are to show a cartoon treasure chest under every lamp post!

That way the software is updated for the future! :D

9eff4eb5-77ec-439c-9758-51676380bbaa.jpg

Edited by TrailGators
Nah, same o', same o'.

1705ff9a-fc1d-4cc7-ab84-79cdc9788704.jpg

On a related note, Study: Distraction Behind Most Car Crashes

BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) - Those sleep-deprived, multitasking drivers - clutching cell phones, fiddling with their radios or applying lipstick - apparently are involved in an awful lot of crashes.

Distracted drivers were involved in nearly eight out of 10 collisions or near-crashes, says a study released Thursday by the government.

Nine out of ten reported incidents of vehicles crashing into lampposts involved drivers fumbling with GPS receivers.

Poorly.jpg

Researchers reviewed thousands of hours of video and data from sensor monitors linked to more than 200 drivers, and pinpointed examples of what keeps drivers from paying close attention to the road.

:rolleyes: Edited by TFTC
Nah, same o', same o'.

BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) - Those sleep-deprived, multitasking drivers - clutching cell phones, fiddling with their radios or applying lipstick - apparently are involved in an awful lot of crashes.

Distracted drivers were involved in nearly eight out of 10 collisions or near-crashes, says a study released Thursday by the government.

Nine out of ten reported incidents of vehicles crashing into lampposts involved drivers fumbling with GPSr receivers.

Researchers reviewed thousands of hours of video and data from sensor monitors linked to more than 200 drivers, and pinpointed examples of what keeps drivers from paying close attention to the road.

:rolleyes:

Way back in my day it was just girls, real girls, not cell-phone and PDA images of girls.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Nah, same o', same o'.

Nine out of ten reported incidents of vehicles crashing into lampposts involved drivers fumbling with GPSr receivers.

Researchers reviewed thousands of hours of video and data from sensor monitors linked to more than 200 at drivers, and pinpointed examples of what keeps drivers from paying close attention to the road.

:rolleyes:

Way back in my day it was just girls, real girls, not cell-phone and PDA images of girls.

That means that nowadays if we are driving down by the beach with our cell phone, GPS and past a bunch of thong muggles; that it's almost impossible not to drive into a lightpost! :unsure:

Edited by TrailGators
So imagine in the not too distant future driving down the road and seeing something similar to this on your GPS: :rolleyes:

I love the street detail, but that Japanese writing would be really confusing. I would feel like I was always hunting for a TT puzzle cache. :unsure:

Actually, I can't wait to see the US version. It looks cool Pat.

Dave

Dave

Shouldn't be long now, considering that came out in Japan in 2004... :rolleyes:

A 2-3 year delay is typical but in this case Japan is the size of California so it may take a little while longer to make those maps for the whole USA!

Edited by TrailGators

Dave

A 2-3 year delay is typical but in this case Japan is the size of California so it may take a little while longer to make those maps for the whole USA!

If they had maps that looked like that for the whole USA, they would blow away the competition in the automobile navigation department. Now, if they could just include every bush/structure on the off road maps and put it all into a handheld unit, geocaching would really be easy. :unsure:

Dave

If they had maps that looked like that for the whole USA, they would blow away the competition in the automobile navigation department. Now, if they could just include every bush/structure on the off road maps and put it all into a handheld unit, geocaching would really be easy. :unsure:

It's fun thinking about the cool stuff headed our way in the years to come. We are just scratching the surface of what is possible. Nanotechnology and Artificial Intellegence are fascinating to me. That stuff almost makes me want to go back to school again!

John of Team Fatman emailed a question to me today that I haven't been able to answer.

When he accesses the Geocaching home page the banner photos are missing and the fields for the photos are dark gray in color. He tried several refreshes with no result. Below is his screen capture.

Also I notice that there are a few other elements such as line-rules missing from the home-page image.

Any ideas?

f6b404cf-b67a-43f8-a133-e03a5e7a179d.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies