San Diego Banter

TrailGators

We were there rather late and we looked under those very stones......i am guessing whoever kept taking the other ones took this one.......sigh.....As soon as I saw who was there before us I KNEW.......just KNEW in my bones......what had happened. You got way to dizzy with all that ballet in those lovely leotards and just twirled the cache right out a there!!!!!  :yikes:  :rolleyes:  ;)

Okay, SUUUURE you looked in the right spot! :)

Doh! I guess it is my fault smilinglady13 didn't find it. We looked right where I found it the first time. We didn't wander too much away from there (the rain and slippery mud helped us not wander). I do know caches sometimes drift over time. Either that or I somehow got us to the wrong spot along with the GPSr since I let her look before I helped.

The fact is that when Sandy and I approached the location we first went to the tree on the eastern side of the trail. After rooting around there a short while I took another look at our GPSr and saw that we should cross back over to the other tree.

The difference was that the correct tree had three fairly large river stones neatly covering the container, you know, a small pile of obvious rocks right against the base of the tree. What with the mist and complete cloud cover our GPS must have needed a bit of time to zero in on the coordinates.

The other factor is that Sandy and I, as opposed to others that shall remain nameless, didn't order cocktails for lunch. As we all know traveling nurses need stimulates now and then to remain alert.

Harmon

We were there rather late and we looked under those very stones......i am guessing whoever kept taking the other ones took this one.......sigh.....As soon as I saw who was there before us I KNEW.......just KNEW in my bones......what had happened. You got way to dizzy with all that ballet in those lovely leotards and just twirled the cache right out a there!!!!!  ;)  :yikes:  :rolleyes:

Okay, SUUUURE you looked in the right spot! :)

Doh! I guess it is my fault smilinglady13 didn't find it. We looked right where I found it the first time. We didn't wander too much away from there (the rain and slippery mud helped us not wander). I do know caches sometimes drift over time. Either that or I somehow got us to the wrong spot along with the GPSr since I let her look before I helped.

The fact is that when Sandy and I approached the location we first went to the tree on the eastern side of the trail. After rooting around there a short while I took another look at our GPSr and saw that we should cross back over to the other tree.

The difference was that the correct tree had three fairly large river stones neatly covering the container, you know, a small pile of obvious rocks right against the base of the tree. What with the mist and complete cloud cover our GPS must have needed a bit of time to zero in on the coordinates.

The other factor is that Sandy and I, as opposed to others that shall remain nameless, didn't order cocktails for lunch. As we all know traveling nurses need stimulates now and then to remain alert.

Harmon

No Stimulants at all!!!!! I am guessing the lovely pile of river rocks has been moved from the correct tree to the wrong tree........and my source for the right tree........well he is seldom wrong so I am guessing it is gone.....sigh.......I guess i should have gotten it the night of the Christmas party......ohwell.....I will return to see if it is there and due to the heavy rain, much mud on the shoes (made me a few inches taller and I am not used to the thinner oxygen 2 inches up) we could have identified the wrong tree and the wrong pile of stones.

This thread is getting a bit low on the list!  :unsure:
Waiting for Lesson 12! Hey Harmon forgot to reserve a spot!

Lesson 12 is going to be an epic. I've become fascinated with the subject matter and I can't stop exploring it. Help me! I'm hyp-no-tized.

I've been working and working on it but it still far from finished. Tomorrow the Geobabe Wednesday run comes on Tuesday so no chance to finalize Lesson 12 until later in the week.

Also I have been working on the layout for YMS #27 but that's now out of my hands. Coming soon, YMS #27.

Edited by SD Rowdies
This thread is getting a bit low on the list!  :unsure:
Waiting for Lesson 12! Hey Harmon forgot to reserve a spot!

Lesson 12 is going to be an epic. I've become fascinated with the subject matter and I can't stop exploring it. Help me! I'm hyp-no-tized.

I've been working and working on it but it still far from finished. Tomorrow the Geobabe Wednesday run comes on Tuesday so no chance to finalize Lesson 12 until later in the week.

Also I have been working on the layout for YMS #27 but that's now out of my hands. Coming soon, YMS #27.

No rush Harmon! They'll be another page or two to reserve a spot!

Good luck tomorrow!!!

Edited by TrailGators
I think Parsa needs a timeout. He's not giving me his undivided attention.

Fattboy needs a timeout too and I think RocketMan is chewing gum! :D

Pat, excellent piece of work, you've got Photoshop under control.

Isn't it amazing what you can learn from Geocaching?

Harmon

Harmon, I knew nothing about Photoshop before I crossed paths with you. Thanks again for all the time you've spent teaching us! :(

Fattboy needs a timeout too and I think RocketMan is chewing gum! :lol:

Pat, excellent piece of work, you've got Photoshop under control. Isn't it amazing what you can learn from Geocaching?

Harmon

Harmon, I knew nothing about Photoshop before I crossed paths with you. Thanks again for all the time you've spent teaching us! :laughing:

I'm just delighted. Makes an ol' man proud to see how far you've come with Photoshop.

Edited by SD Rowdies
DHSundance teaching a class on how not to do "Hell's Revenge" in Moab!  :lol:

b9005759-cb48-4ebd-b2ae-28bd10127779.jpg

All kidding aside- that's incredible how you found pictures of people sitting in the correct pose in order to place them in the seats.

Dave :laughing:

Yeah, and check out that blackboard area, it was half the size in the original image.

DHSundance teaching a class on how not to do "Hell's Revenge" in Moab!  ;)

All kidding aside- that's incredible how you found pictures of people sitting in the correct pose in order to place them in the seats.

Dave :lol:

Yeah, and check out that blackboard area, it was half the size in the original image.

...and to think that classroom was empty and quiet last week! :laughing:

cd0cf89b-d0a7-48d1-9482-48d62432ab82.jpg

DHSundance teaching a class on how not to do "Hell's Revenge" in Moab!  ;)

Dave :lol:

...and to think that classroom was empty and quiet last week! :laughing:

cd0cf89b-d0a7-48d1-9482-48d62432ab82.jpg

Where's George?

Thank y' ver' much. By any chance were you talking to Splashette of late?

Hmm, must've scaired ever'body away with that drag'n.. :( Or did you banter us into oblivion this time? :P

No kidding, SD Banter must have died with me in the dragon shot. Now everybody is back to bantering on the other threads. Can't tell one thread from the other any more.

Thank y' ver' much. By any chance were you talking to Splashette of late?

Hmm, must've scaired ever'body away with that drag'n.. :( Or did you banter us into oblivion this time? :P

No kidding, SD Banter must have died with me in the dragon shot. Now everybody is back to bantering on the other threads. Can't tell one thread from the other any more.

People must be too busy to do your lessons....

I'm sure it will pick up again! :P

Took this shot today!

c1a69906-dfa5-4fd1-92c6-3c68ab3516af.jpg

Really nice. Thanks for posting it.

Hey, for fun try selecting that old tree and all of it's twigs. Haw!

You were tempted to change the background weren't you?

Oddly enough, not in this case. I just thought it would be funny if I were to trick Pat into trying that challenging selection.

On the other hand ....

Oddly enough, not in this case. I just thought it would be funny if I were to trick Pat into trying that challenging selection.

On the other hand ....

Er, look, there he is! :unsure:

a406442c-2162-4fbf-88b5-20183231b83a.jpg

Tiny twigs, leaves, and hair ... the tedious nightmares of photo editing. Three cheers for the attempt TFTC. You-da man! By the way I did notice that you cropped the image to cut down on the effort.

For the next poor soul that attempts this selection try building the selection mask while viewing the RGB Channel that offers highest image contrast, probably the Green channel in this case.

Also use Image/Adjustments/Brightness/Contrast to set the chosen RGB channel to a higher value of Contrast while working on the selection.

Just for fun try the Background Eraser tool set for Discontiguous mode and fiddle with the Tolerance setting to find the value that erases background but not the finest twigs. At the most favorable setting you should be able to erase all of the sky area with one click-and-hold of the Background Eraser tool. Zoom way in and use the Space Bar to retrieve the Hand tool as needed to push the enlarged image around as you erase the background.

Yeah, sure, then you might have to do some reconstruction of the finest features with a sharp brush and a two or three pixel Clone Stamp tool.

Once you achieve a satisfactory selection or erasure mask on the RGB channel make sure, for a selection, to Select/Save Selection... and then save the overall image as a .psd file so that you can use Select/Load Selection... later on while on the Layer pallet.

When you reuse the selection to build a new composite image make sure to use Layer/Matting/Defringe set to one or two pixels to blend out orphaned pixels that might have been missed during your selection or erasure effort.

It's a patience and perseverance thang. You'll stick to this onerous task much more willingly if you can arrange to do this sort of thing for serious money.

When you're feeling like you have this technique down pat try it for money on a portrait of a beautiful woman that has a fly-away hairdo with isolated single strands of hair. A woman can detect a single hair missing from her portrait. Let me know how this works out for you fool.

Harmon

Does this count for a lesson?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Well I finally started looking at some of the other forum topics and found this one.

I have had photoshop 7 in my PC for years and have never really learned the details other than the standard color and light corrections, the healing brushes, and some simple cut and paste. With these lessons I may actually learn to do something. Keep it up.

:unsure:

Well I finally started looking at some of the other forum topics and found this one.

I have had photoshop 7 in my PC for years and have never really learned the details other than the standard color and light corrections, the healing brushes, and some simple cut and paste.  With these lessons I may actually learn to do something.  Keep it up.

:unsure:

pjh,

Welcome to the SD Banter thread. A page or two back on this thread you will find a linked list of Photoshop lessons that Rocket Man and Trailgators put together.

I'm guessing from your profile photo that you have some time on your hands for Photoshop interests. I recommend viewing the terrific work done by others on the many pages of the San Diego Forum threads. Do feel free to post your own efforts as you progress.

Regards,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

On the other hand ....

Er, look, there he is! :D

Tiny twigs, leaves, and hair ... the tedious nightmares of photo editing. Three cheers for the attempt TFTC. You-da man! By the way I did notice that you cropped the image to cut down on the effort.

For the next poor soul that attempts this selection try building the selection mask while viewing the RGB Channel that offers highest image contrast, probably the Green channel in this case.

Also use Image/Adjustments/Brightness/Contrast to set the chosen RGB channel to a higher value of Contrast while working on the selection.

Just for fun try the Background Eraser tool set for Discontiguous mode and fiddle with the Tolerance setting to find the value that erases background but not the finest twigs. At the most favorable setting you should be able to erase all of the sky area with one click-and-hold of the Background Eraser tool. Zoom way in and use the Space Bar to retrieve the Hand tool as needed to push the enlarged image around as you erase the background.

Yeah, sure, then you might have to do some reconstruction of the finest features with a sharp brush and a two or three pixel Clone Stamp tool.

Once you achieve a satisfactory selection or erasure mask on the RGB channel make sure, for a selection, to Select/Save Selection... and then save the overall image as a .psd file so that you can use Select/Load Selection... later on while on the Layer pallet.

When you reuse the selection to build a new composite image make sure to use Layer/Matting/Defringe set to one or two pixels to blend out orphaned pixels that might have been missed during your selection or erasure effort.

It's a patience and perseverance thang. You'll stick to this onerous task much more willingly if you can arrange to do this sort of thing for serious money.

When you're feeling like you have this technique down pat try it for money on a portrait of a beautiful woman that has a fly-away hairdo with isolated single strands of hair. A woman can detect a single hair missing from her portrait. Let me know how this works out for you fool.

Harmon

Somehow I missed seeing the bobber go under the water on that one! :D I know I swam by it but wasn't going to bite! :)

I have had the same issue when I've tried to remove multiple people from one scene and plant them into another scene. So those techniques could possibly help me! I've also been reading about the magnetic lasso tool and the pixel and contrast settings so those may help too....

I think it could count as a lesson or at least as a "Harmon's Tip"! :)

I have had photoshop 7 in my PC for years and have never really learned the details other than the standard color and light corrections, the healing brushes, and some simple cut and paste.  With these lessons I may actually learn to do something.  Keep it up.

:D

pjh,

Welcome to the SD Banter thread. A page or two back on this thread you will find a linked list of Photoshop lessons that Rocket Man and Trailgators put together.

I'm guessing from your profile photo that you have some time on your hands for Photoshop interests. I recommend viewing the terrific work done by others on the many pages of the San Diego Forum threads. Do feel free to post your own efforts as you progress.

Regards,

Harmon

RM and I have been trying to keep a list of the lesson links! So here are the links, which were compiled last time by RM. :)

On the other hand ....

Er, look, there he is! :)

Harmon

Somehow I missed seeing the bobber go under the water on that one! :D I know I swam by it but wasn't going to bite! :)

I have had the same issue when I've tried to remove multiple people from one scene and plant them into another scene. So those techniques could possibly help me! I've also been reading about the magnetic lasso tool and the pixel and contrast settings so those may help too....

I think it could count as a lesson or at least as a "Harmon's Tip"! :)

Pat,

Actually I was casting a fly rather than floating a bobber. Guess I need to smack the water with my fly-rod to get you to grab the bait next time. :D Apparently you are getting some good out of your Christmas, I'm sorry, .... your holiday gift book.

Harmon

Actually I was casting a fly rather than floating a bobber. Guess I need to smack the water with my fly-rod to get you to grab the bait next time.  :) Apparently you are getting some good out of your Christmas, I'm sorry, .... your holiday gift book.

Harmon

I'd have taken a Size 16 Adams! :D As long as we have to be "politically correct" all the freaking time these days.....What did you think about that new Cowboy movie...you know...the one where the cowboys really like each other? :) I don't know about you but to me it seems like some in Hollywood aren't trying too hard to be politically correct themselves and they are making a lot of stuff that we have to step over! :D

Edited by TrailGators
Actually I was casting a fly rather than floating a bobber. Guess I need to smack the water with my fly-rod to get you to grab the bait next time.  :D Apparently you are getting some good out of your Christmas, I'm sorry, .... your holiday gift book.

Harmon

I'd have taken a Size 16 Adams! :) As long as we have to be "politically correct" all the freaking time these days.....What did you think about that new Cowboy movie...you know...the one where the cowboys really like each other? :D I don't know about you but to me it seems like some in Hollywood aren't trying too hard to be politically correct themselves and they are making a lot of stuff that we have to step over! :)

The end is here!

Having spent many years working up close and personal with inmates of State and Federal prisons I've had my share of men seriously in love thank you very much.

The one thing that really concerned me was that one in three of the inmates carried blood-born pathogens and they devise clever ways to pass their pathogens through windows and fences to outsiders. That training and experience made me cautious, perhaps unreasonably so.

Being "gassed" by an inmate or working on equipment that's been "gassed" ain't my idea of a good time. I leave it to your imagination.

Edited by SD Rowdies
RM and I have been trying to keep a list of the lesson links! So here are the links, which were compiled last time by RM.  :)

I saved the forum code for future updates and reposting. Here are the links:

Note: Some of the lesson resources are posted here (The one labeled Lesson 6 here is actually Lesson7)

Lesson 1

Lesson 2

Lesson 3

Lesson 4

Lesson 5

Lesson 6

Lesson 7

Lesson 8 (Labeled Lesson 6 on thread)

Lesson 9

Lesson 10

Lesson 11

Hi all!

Sorry to join this so late, I'm back on lesson 1. I just installed PS CS 9. Now on to the fun task of learning how to use it. Hope to post some pics soon.

Jake

Jake,

Attaboy, another CS2 guy.

Just finished answering your first emailed questions about the lessons. Looking forward to seeing your efforts.

The Banter gang will welcome you with open arms I'm sure. You can just bet that they are poised to join in with you on any photographic hi-jinx you initiate.

They respond to the darndest things ... Jaws, cowboys, storm drains, gosh knows what.

The way things are going you might catch up with me before I post Lesson 12. I've been slaving over that lesson for weeks and weeks. The good news is that I've finished the text and have turned to selection and preparation of the step-by-step instructions. Choosing photos for Lesson 12 has been a challenge as well.

Harmon

Hi all!

Sorry to join this so late, I'm back on lesson 1. I just installed  PS CS 9. Now on to the fun task of learning how to use it. Hope to post some pics soon.

Jake

Jake,

Attaboy, another CS2 guy.

Just finished answering your first emailed questions about the lessons. Looking forward to seeing your efforts.

The Banter gang will welcome you with open arms I'm sure. You can just bet that they are poised to join in with you on any photographic hi-jinx you initiate.

They respond to the darndest things ... Jaws, cowboys, storm drains, gosh knows what.

The way things are going you might catch up with me before I post Lesson 12. I've been slaving over that lesson for weeks and weeks. The good news is that I've finished the text and have turned to selection and preparation of the step-by-step instructions. Choosing photos for Lesson 12 has been a challenge as well.

Harmon

Harmon, what was Lesson 12 about? I dun fergot! My CRS is getting worse with each birthday.... :ph34r:

Edit: Welcome Jake! I hope your Embarrassing Positions!!!! cache is going well! :ph34r::ph34r:

Edited by TrailGators

I sure hope you guys don't tire easily of Noobs. I have a couple of beginner questions. I have been working on a learning how to layer. If an image I'm layering to another photo goes out of frame. How do I resize the background layer to fit the new layer? And that brings me to the second Noob question. I could show you where I'm at and what I'm doing but... :huh: How do I upload a picture into the forums?

Jake

I sure hope you guys don't tire easily of Noobs. I have a couple of beginner questions. I have been working on a learning how to layer. If an image I'm layering to another photo goes out of frame. How do I resize the background layer to fit the new layer? And that brings me to the second Noob question. I could show you where I'm at and what I'm doing but... :huh: How do I upload a picture into the forums?

Jake

to upload your picture to the forums:

• take a cache page you have logged or own
  • upload a picture to it
  • open the link to the picture
  • copy the url from the address bar
  • go to the forum
  • click IMG
  • paste in the url

you can go back to the cache page and delete the pic and it doesn't delete it from the server so it stays in the forum.