San Diego Banter

TrailGators

I haven't contributed to this thread, 'cause I havent really had anything to say, but I have been lurking and enjoying all your photos! I have been struggling with the only "editing" software I own --Paint! B) --and you all inspired me. Today I went out and bought Photoshop Elements (can't justify the expense of the C2.) I made more progress on my project in an hour with the program than I have in days with Paint! The right tools for the right job....

Thanks for the inspiration and for all the laughs this thread has provided!

I haven't contributed to this thread, 'cause I havent really had anything to say, but I have been lurking and enjoying all your photos!  I have been struggling with the only "editing" software I own --Paint!  B)  --and you all inspired me.  Today I went out and bought Photoshop Elements (can't justify the expense of the C2.)  I made more progress on my project in an hour with the program than I have in days with Paint!  The right tools for the right job....

Thanks for the inspiration and for all the laughs this thread has provided!

Welcome to the crazy image crowd. Looking forward to seeing examples of your projects.

You will be happy with Photoshop Elements, it offers a lot for the money. It's a great first step toward Photoshop 7 or Photoshop CS2 assuming that your interest continues.

I have all three Photoshop versions installed so I can play along with you should you need suggestions. Besides, this thread boasts some great contributers that know their way around image editing and have been willing to share their skills.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Big gasoline Tanker fire this morning very close to Chey's Go Bolts

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :D  :D  :D

Wonder if it survived!?!?!

Well, now... that explains my detour on my way home. I thought it was just road work! I live very near there. I'll take a walk a little later this afternoon and report back. I was actually going to hunt that cache today or tomorrow anyway.

Edit: And, by the way, Doc-- I think the name of the cache is GoColts :D

Edited by Kama Raga

Well, now... that explains my detour on my way home. I thought it was just road work! I live very near there. I'll take a walk a little later this afternoon and report back. I was actually going to hunt that cache today or tomorrow anyway.

Are you a travel nurse? Just being nosey as that is how I came to San Diego.......3 years ago and havent left.............yet.

Are you a travel nurse? Just being nosey as that is how I came to San Diego.......3 years ago and havent left.............yet.

Hey, Smilinglady :D I've been meaning to message you! No, not a Traveller. We moved down here about three years ago for my husband's job. I am...er... *was* a "house supervisor" but my job recently got eliminated! Now for a very brief period I hope, I am a full-time job-seeker :D If I was a little younger and single, I'd sign up with a travel agency in a New York minute. I was on my way home from an interview this morning when I hit the roadblock!

Hey, Smilinglady :D I've been meaning to message you! No, not a Traveller. We moved down here about three years ago for my husband's job. I am...er... *was* a "house supervisor" but my job recently got eliminated! Now for a very brief period I hope, I am a full-time job-seeker :D If I was a little younger and single, I'd sign up with a travel agency in a New York minute. I was on my way home from an interview this morning when I hit the roadblock!

I am a clinical educator........and loving it.....so far....but.......may return to traveling in about 1500 geocaches.......need to cache somewhere else. :D HAHAHAHA Actually leaving for Hawaii today......for a week.....

I've been looking for somewhere to put my photo's to upload. Thought I'd try FLICKr (it's free if you have a Yahoo account and I have one w/ my DSL line).

71281020_de02fe727f.jpg

It's not real smooth but it seems to work.

Anyone have other good ideas??!!??

Jeff

Edited by drexotic
I've been looking for somewhere to put my photo's to upload. Thought I'd try FLICKr (it's free if you have a Yahoo account and I have one w/ my DSL line).

It's not real smooth but it seems to work.

Anyone have other good ideas??!!??

Jeff

If you are uploading them for here, just use the geocaching website to host them. I upload mine to my profile. Ahimsa uploads them to one of his cache pages and then deletes the picture from there once he gets the url. (doesn't actually delete the picture from the website).

Actually leaving for Hawaii today......for a week.....

sure, keep rubbing it in. :rolleyes::lol:

Somehow, my upcoming trip to FL & NJ just got a little duller!

This should pick you up: We are going to Utica, NY (my inlaws) for 8 days during Christmas. Currently 18 inches of snow. Maybe I will find my first snow buried cache.

Here's a new Banter Project:

6c5eacbc-7652-4297-b319-2777fa2e8de3.jpg

3f6f4025-f5d5-4305-a6a4-08dbaef7a927.jpg

Deck of Postcards Panorama

Step 1 - stand somewhere and take a bunch of photos. Don't worry about lining things up, but do make sure that your photos overlap and generally are vertically centered around the same horizon.

Step 2 - download your photos to your pc

Step 3 - resize your photos to 640x480 (usually results in images that are 50-100KB each).

Step 4 - open up each photo in your photo editing program and resize each one bigger by 2 pixels setting the background color to white with the current background centered - the end result is your photo now has a 1 pixel white outline

Step 5 - repeat using black as the background color - end result is your photo has a 1 pixel black border around the 1 pixel white border - save your photos

Step 6 - create a new image document that is roughly 600 pixels high by 640 x # of photos wide - I've added the forum color to my palette so I can select it for the background color of images that will be posted here.

Step 7 - paste each of your photos into the new document as objects or layers

Step 8 - if you want no shadows between the photos, make sure you layer them in order (which order determines which direction the shadow goes or vice versa). Line them up as best you can (sometimes it helps to increase transparency of the one on top while nudgng it around). You don't necessarily want them lined up perfectly (sometimes your perspective had changed enough to make it impossible anyway).

Step 9 - You might have to rescale the image to 50% of the original size for posting to the forum (before you add the dropshadow) if you plan to upload it to gc.com. It would probably also be a good idea to make the white and black outlines 2 pixels rather than 1 (I neglected to do that - but then, I didn't really plan this out before I did it) so that they don't get lost during the rescaling. Otherwise, you might not be able to upload it to gc.com without it getting resized.

Step 10 - Select all the photo objects/layers and add a drop shadow. Make the shadow fall left if the topmost photo is to the left or to the right if the topmost photo is on the right (so the shadow doesn't fall on the adjacent photo)

Step 11 - Crop your image to just around the photos/shadows. Save as a jpeg, upload to gc.com, post to forum :(

(perhaps someone can translate those from Photo PAINT-ese into Photoshop-ese).

Edited by ahimsa

Thanks Ahimsa! Next time I go somewhere with a panoramic view I'll take a bunch of photos and try it out! You got a cool effect by randomly staggering shots off the horizontal and vertical axis. That's what I liked about the collage you posted! :D

Good job on yours Dave! BTW I wish you had been along with us yesterday! :unsure:

Edited by TrailGators
When I change the canvas size to 642x482 in Photoshop my background is a gray and white checkerboard. I can't find where you can change it to be white. Any ideas?

Here is how I did it Pat:

Go to "Image-Canvas Size" and then use these settings:

46bf9810-6e17-4cc6-9067-32a2cc65b9b3.jpg

The relative setting with the center anchor set will just add to all of the edges the amount you specify in Width and Height (actually if you enter 2 pixels, you get 1 pixel on each edge since it centers the image on the canvas). The Canvas extension setting at the bottom determines the color of the background. First use white and then do a second canvas resize using black.

When I change the canvas size to 642x482 in Photoshop my background is a gray and white checkerboard. I can't find where you can change it to be white. Any ideas?

[snip]

The relative setting with the center anchor set will just add to all of the edges the amount you specify in Width and Height (actually if you enter 2 pixels, you get 1 pixel on each edge since it centers the image on the canvas). The Canvas extension setting at the bottom determines the color of the background. First use white and then do a second canvas resize using black.

I tried that but Canvas Selection Color is grayed out for me....

ac03920b-6807-44ec-baa4-9aaac39f51f1.jpg

[snip]

I tried that but Canvas Selection Color is grayed out for me....

ac03920b-6807-44ec-baa4-9aaac39f51f1.jpg

Strange? Is the image a JPEG?

Yes it is from my Canon camera....

That was the first way I tried to do it!!! I guess it's another one of those artist things...I'll have to try to use the other half of my brain to figure out why that grayed that stupid option out..... :unsure:

Do you not have a background layer?

Yes it is from my Canon camera....

That was the first way I tried to do it!!! I guess it's another one of those artist things...I'll have to try to use the other half of my brain to figure out why that grayed that stupid option out..... :unsure:

Do you not have a background layer?

I got it to work by starting over. Now I am starting to mess with the drop shadow. It is has been so long I am re-learning hoe to do it! But I should have something to post pretty soon!

Edited by TrailGators
This is from our August trip to Moab Utah!  :laughing:

Wow, those are beautiful shots! And you've got the forum background color too! Nice to have these filed in this thread where they can be enjoyed! :laughing:

I did a screen capture of the background and resized it. I wasn't sure how to add it the other way....

Now I wish I had taken more photos!

This is from our August trip to Moab Utah!  :laughing:

Wow, those are beautiful shots! And you've got the forum background color too! Nice to have these filed in this thread where they can be enjoyed! :laughing:

I did a screen capture of the background and resized it. I wasn't sure how to add it the other way....

Now I wish I had taken more photos!

Funny, I did the same thing sort of. I did a screen capture of the forum background and then opened the image up in Photoshop and used the eye dropper to pick the color. Then I filled the backgound of the pano shot using the paint bucket tool.

I remember that spot! Interesting to see what it looks like if you don't merge down the layers....

Well it was that way a second ago!  :laughing:

Actually, I just changed the angle of the shadow. Here is the original image. I kind of like it.

7c6194f1-d2cc-4910-b192-97e5420808a4.jpg

Yes, that way gives more of a 3D effect! I merged mine all together and then did the drop shadow to simulate them resting on top of each other in a pile! I like them both ways! :laughing: One thing merging does is it makes a uniform grayscale shadow. If you don't merge you get overlapping shadows and you get shades of gray lighter on the outside to darker in the middle.

Edited by TrailGators