San Diego Banter

TrailGators

A Perfect Ten

As an old guy from the early thirties I’ve seen a lot of changes over the years. Lately I’ve been thinking of the many changes that women, in particular, have gone through during my lifetime. Suddenly I realized that Geocaching women are the trendsetters that live along the frontier of feminine change.

That thought kind of choked me up for a moment and made me wonder what traits might define a perfect-ten Geocaching woman. Help me out with this … the ten traits that describe the perfect ten Geocaching woman.

For starters a perfect ten Geocaching woman -

1. Is well equipped. *

2. Will go into the bushes with men she hardly knows.

3. Wears hiking boots even to weddings.

4. Owns and operates a Jeep Wrangler.

5. Always has gas. **

6. Is married but not to you.

7. Will lead along bushwhacking trails.

8. Carries ballpoints, small trade items, and a few bucks in her bra.

9. Has wide-body figure to clear bushwhacking trails.

10. Bakes pineapple upside-down cakes.

* You know, owns her own GPSr, PDA, cell phone, and laptop.

** You know, for the Jeep Wrangler

Edited by SD Rowdies
A Perfect Ten

As an old guy from the early thirties I’ve seen a lot of changes over the years. Lately I’ve been thinking of the many changes that women, in particular, have gone through during my lifetime. Suddenly I realized that Geocaching women are the trendsetters that live along the frontier of feminine change.

That thought kind of choked me up for a moment and made me wonder what traits might define a perfect-ten Geocaching woman. Help me out with this … the ten traits that describe the perfect ten Geocaching woman.

1. Is well equipped. *

5. Always has gas. **

How about:

11. Never wants to stop***

*** You know, never wants to stop caching.

Edited by TrailGators

HEY HARMON

I thought an old codger like you might like these :lol:

The blackened forest

Smoulders yet

Because

He flipped

A cigarette

Burma-Shave

Slow down, Pa

Sakes alive

Ma missed signs

Four And five

Burma-Shave

Grandpa knows

It ain't too late

He's gone

To git

Some widder bait

Burma-Shave

A Christmas hug

A birthday kiss

Awaits

The woman

Who gives this

Burma-Shave

Just like Louise

You get

A thrill

From every squeeze

Burma-Shave

The monkey took

One look at Jim

And threw the peanuts

Back at him

He needed

Burma-Shave

Substitutes

Can let you down

Quicker

Than a

Strapless gown

Burma-Shave

For shaving comfort

Without

A sting

That big blue tube

Has everything

Burma-Shave

6 million housewives

Can't be wrong

Who keep

Their husbands

Right along in

Burma-Shave

Try a tube

Its cooling

Power

Refreshes like

An April shower

Burma-Shave

Take

Your

Time

Not

Your life

Burma-Shave

Cattle crossing

Means go slow

That old bull

Is some

Cow's beau

Burma-Shave

Does your husband

Misbehave

Grunt and grumble

Rant and rave?

Shoot the brute some

Burma-Shave

The draftee

Tried a tube

And purred

Well whaddya know

I've been defurred

Burma-Shave

His crop of

Whiskers

Needed reaping

That's what kept

His Lena leaping

Burma-Shave

Drinking drivers--

Nothing worse

They put

The quart

Before the hearse

Burma-Shave

Said farmer Brown

Who's bald

On top

Wish I could

Rotate the crop

Burma-Shave

Men

With whiskers

'Neath their noses

Oughta have to kiss

Like eskimoses

Burma-Shave

Don't

Try passing

On a slope

Unless you have

A periscope

Burma-Shave

Passing cars

When you can't see

May get you

A glimpse

Of eternity

Burma-Shave

Don't leave safety

To mere chance

That's why

Belts are

Sold with pants

Burma-Shave

If daisies

Are your

Favorite flower

Keep pushin' up those

Miles-per-hour

Burma-Shave

He lit a match

To check gas tank

That's why

They call him

Skinless frank

Burma-Shave

HEY HARMON

I thought an old codger like you might like these :lol:

Vagabond,

Thanks pal, I love it.

As much as I was moved around as a youth those signs were a welcomed treat. The last real one in this area was heading west on old Highway 80 just before Descanso Junction.

Sure wish I had a video camera in those days. Oddly enough I haven't looked into their history and so I will.

Harmon

Way back in 1925 young Allan Odell pitched this great sales idea to his father, Clinton. Use small, wooden roadside signs to pitch their product, Burma-Shave, a brushless shaving cream. Dad wasn't wild about the idea but eventually gave Allan $200 to give it a try.

Didn't take long for sales to soar. Soon Allan and his brother Leonard were putting up signs all over the dang place. At first the signs were pure sales pitch but as the years passed they found their sense of humor extending to safety tips and pure fun. And some good old-fashioned down home wisdom.

At their height of popularity there were 7,000 Burma-Shave signs stretching across America. The familiar white on red signs, grouped by four, fives and sixes, were as much a part of a family trip as irritating your kid brother in the back seat of the car. You'd read first one, then another, anticpating the punch line on number five and the familiar Burma-Shave on the sixth.

The signs cheered us during the Depression and the dark days of World War II. But things began to change in the late Fifties. Cars got faster and superhighways got built to accomodate them. The fun little signs were being replaced by huge, unsightly billboards.

1963 was the last year for new Burma Shave signs. No more red and white nuggets of roadside wisdom to ease the journey.

A visitor to The Fifties Web contributed this story of a set of signs found in the Oregon wine country as late as 1986. She wrote me that "...two of the five signs were lying on the ground, and one was face down. I hoped the bull guarding them would be friendly as I reached through the fence to turn it over. (He was.)" The signs said, "Farewell O verse, Along the road. How sad to see, You're out of mode."

As befits such an important part of American culture, one set is preserved by the Smithsonian Institution. It reads:

Shaving brushes

You'll soon see 'em

On a shelf

In some museum

Burma-Shave

Edited by SD Rowdies

thats gonna put a damper on caching in truckhaven in 2 weeks or so. OUCH!!

I may be down but don't count me out (yet)...I have a very bruised ego...nothing a big bowl of chocolate ice cream and an Orthopedic Surgeon can't fix. I'm making up a good story though....going after a Hazzmatt 5/5 cache with out the ropes sounds pretty good. But if you really must know I was in the desert on an adventure with 5 new caches to plant for the event. Fate intervined before the first one was placed. Anyone going down in the next week or so is welcome to take my already to go caches along with them....let me know. I'll give the gps a few more days to re-appear then I'll put my Visa card to good use. So for the next month or so, I'll be in Santee Urban Micro Hell.

THIS JUST IN

2137514d-fc50-40e9-9bef-790b96fb85bd.jpg

Harmon...

Can you make the "10" list if it hurts worse to lose your GPS than turning your knee into a pretzel? :unsure:

Dang! I get the shivers just looking at those crutches much less the knee brace. Truly I feel your pain. Yes indeed, favoring your GPSr does indeed put you on my "She's a Ten" list.

So there must be a story behind your condition or did I miss that? Don't suppose it has to do wth that two-wheelie thingy behind you in the photo? From what I can see it isn't bent or broken.

Speedy recovery, I'll see if I can make it feel better in the photo. In fact I'll start a new section in my extensive photo gallery, a "Blondes on Crutches" section. Sorry about leaving the shadows on your face. Too risky to mess around with a woman's makeup at my age.

On the other hand a biker's tatoo might add some interest to that shot. Whaddaya think?

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
Barbara...

You get well!!!  Can you still make those yummy brownies????  Jeez...I hope so!!!

Thanks everyone for the well wishes...yes I can still make brownies, but I am doubling the Kalhua. :mad:

Are brownies as good as Pineapple Upside Down Cake?

Well depends on what type of man you are. :mad:

Real, former military, manly men...like D-J and me...prefer brownies!

Barbara...

You get well!!!  Can you still make those yummy brownies????  Jeez...I hope so!!!

Thanks everyone for the well wishes...yes I can still make brownies, but I am doubling the Kalhua. :mad:

Are brownies as good as Pineapple Upside Down Cake?

Well depends on what type of man you are. :mad:

Real, former military, manly men...like D-J and me...prefer brownies!

Especially with 2x the Kahlua!!! yeeeee-hawwww!!!! :P

THIS JUST IN

Sorry to hear you got hurt. Hope it heals quickly!

WOW... That looks nasty! Are you going under the knife?

How in the heck are you going to drive your Miata?? :(

Nick & Sharon

GrnZoom

Looks like the Miata is without a driver for a while. And right before the full moon ride!! Hopefully no surgery. Torn MCL and will have MRI in 3 weeks...right after the Keep On Trucking event. I"m still planning on being there....B.R.A. are chili cook-off judges, you know. :(

THIS JUST IN

Sorry to hear you got hurt. Hope it heals quickly!

WOW... That looks nasty! Are you going under the knife?

How in the heck are you going to drive your Miata?? <_<

Nick & Sharon

GrnZoom

Looks like the Miata is without a driver for a while. And right before the full moon ride!! Hopefully no surgery. Torn MCL and will have MRI in 3 weeks...right after the Keep On Trucking event. I"m still planning on being there....B.R.A. are chili cook-off judges, you know. :o

Ouch! Hope you get better quickly Barb!

I just got back from the SD-Ensenada sailboat race.  Pics to follow...  I'm sure Harmon will have a field day...

OK, Harmon, have at it! You will find what you are looking for HERE.

Notice I am holding my Garmin 60CS in almost every picture! The skipper was so impressed by its magical navigational abilities that he had his wife buy him one for the trip back to San Diego the following week!

Edited by FlagMan
OK, Harmon, have at it! You will find what you are looking for HERE.

Oboy, I love it. That's a crusty looking bunch of old sailors I must say. Let me see now ... what was that Hemmingway story about an old man and the sea?

Actually I know those waters from my high-school days as an albacore fisherman. One year the forty-footer inverted and sank at two in the morning. Terribly inconvenient but it got me off watch that turn.

I really liked the part where we bobbed about in the ocean through the wee hours in a small inflatable with a bucket of seawater in my skivvy-shorts. We had book-matches for a signal light. Boy were we lucky that the rescuers found us.

Well, it's a long story that made the papers, "Fourteen year old boy called hero of sinking," which triggered the labor board to call me and the boat owner in 'cause I was an under-age crewman. It was all part of my dear old dad's plan to send me away each and every summer of my teen years. I called those summers my "out-of-house experience."

Not sure which was worse, the two years of albacore fishing or the one year of running a motorized chicken plucker on a Greek chicken ranch. Don't laugh, Greek chickens are mean as heck even after being boiled and plucked. Honestly, if you ever get a chance to spend a summer running a motorized chicken plucker don't do it.

Later in life I realized that my dear old dad didn't expect me to keep coming home at the end of summer. He's ninety-two now and I could get even but I keep putting it off.

Sorry, I digress.

OK, Harmon, have at it!  You will find what you are looking for HERE.

Oboy, I love it. That's a crusty looking bunch of old sailors I must say. Let me see now ... what was that Hemmingway story about an old man and the sea?

Actually I know those waters from my high-school days as an albacore fisherman. One year the forty-footer inverted and sank at two in the morning. Terribly inconvenient but it got me off watch that turn.

I really liked the part where we bobbed about in the ocean through the wee hours in a small inflatable with a bucket of seawater in my skivvy-shorts. We had book-matches for a signal light. Boy were we lucky that the rescuers found us.

Well, it's a long story that made the papers, "Fourteen year old boy called hero of sinking," which triggered the labor board to call me and the boat owner in 'cause I was an under-age crewman. It was all part of my dear old dad's plan to send me away each and every summer of my teen years. I called those summers my "out-of-house experience."

Not sure which was worse, the two years of albacore fishing or the one year of running a motorized chicken plucker on a Greek chicken ranch. Don't laugh, Greek chickens are mean as heck even after being boiled and plucked. Honestly, if you ever get a chance to spend a summer running a motorized chicken plucker don't do it.

Later in life I realized that my dear old dad didn't expect me to keep coming home at the end of summer. He's ninety-two now and I could get even but I keep putting it off.

Sorry, I digress.

Hey don't those wet feathers smell so nice :):o:)

I used to crew on my uncles boat out of pedro in the early 50s it was charter so a little easier, except for some of the idiots that chartered the boat

OK, Harmon, have at it!  You will find what you are looking for HERE.

Sorry, I digress.

Hey don't those wet feathers smell so nice :):o:)

I used to crew on my uncles boat out of pedro in the early 50s it was charter so a little easier, except for some of the idiots that chartered the boat

Small world. I was a commercial fisherman, too, up in Alaska. Salmon seiner. Great work right out of college and a good way to have pocket change (and a new car) by the end of the summer. We even earned a broomstick on our mast - symbolizing catching 100,000 salmon in a season.

Of course that honor came with 16-20 hours days and some "interesting" weather. Glad we did not go in the drink like Harmon, although we did run aground on a rocky shoal once. Problem up there is verrrrry cold water. You supposedly only have 20 minutes or so before hypothermia sets in. An accident more than 1/2 mile off shore was judged to be a terminal situation. We were lucky the tide (they run 20+ feet up there) was coming in when we got stuck. If it's an ebb tide, the boats roll on their side and fill up with water on the flow.

Will have to swap real fish stories around a campfire one of these days.

-GD

P.S. Steelhead photo shows what I did on weekend time off with my trusty Eagle Claw rod.

Don%20and%20Steelhead%20Alaska%201972.jpg

Edited by Team Gecko
A Perfect Ten

1. Is well equipped. *

5. Always has gas. **

Whew! There for a moment I thought you were describing me, but I've never made a pineapple upside down cake in my life. It's apple pies, trifles, or brownies for me! Must be pqmommy.

Sorry to learn about Barbara's booboo. Haven't had time to check out the forums for a while, have much to catch up on.

Steelhead photo shows what I did on weekend time off with my trusty Eagle Claw rod.

Funny you should mention steelhead fishing, Don. I think about it every year when October comes. Back in the 80's when I lived in Eau Claire, WI, my buddy and I used to go up to the Brule River every year during this time of the year. The Brule flowed north and fed into Lake Superior. It was mostly whitewater and was one of the most beautiful rivers I've had the pleasure of fishing in. Anyhow, we'd fish all day and then grab of a bunch of beer and watch the World Series at night. "It don't git no better than that!" :)

P.S. Nice fish!

Edited by TrailGators
Steelhead photo shows what I did on weekend time off with my trusty Eagle Claw rod.

Funny you should mention steelhead fishing, Don. Back in the 80's when I lived in Eau Claire, WI, my buddy and I used to go up to the Brule River every year during this time of the year. The Brule flowed north and fed into Lake Superior. It was mostly whitewater and was one of the most beautiful rivers I've had the pleasure of fishing in. Anyhow, we'd fish all day and then grab of a bunch of beer and watch the World Series at night. "It don't git no better than that!" :)

Small world.

I used to do research on the Brule and other surrounding rivers while in college in Superior, WI. We did plenty of canoeing and consumption of adult beverages. My wife's family still has a cabin in nearby Iron River.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr

brule-steelhead_jpg.jpg

A Perfect Ten

1. Is well equipped. *

5. Always has gas. **

Whew! There for a moment I thought you were describing me, but I've never made a pineapple upside down cake in my life. It's apple pies, trifles, or brownies for me! Must be pqmommy.

Sorry to learn about Barbara's booboo. Haven't had time to check out the forums for a while, have much to catch up on.

Nine out of ten ain't bad for a gramma.

Funny you should mention steelhead fishing, Don. Back in the 80's when I lived in Eau Claire, WI, my buddy and I used to go up to the Brule River every year during this time of the year. The Brule flowed north and fed into Lake Superior. It was mostly whitewater and was one of the most beautiful rivers I've had the pleasure of fishing in. Anyhow, we'd fish all day and then grab of a bunch of beer and watch the World Series at night. "It don't git no better than that!" :)

Small world.

I used to do research on the Brule and other surrounding rivers while in college in Superior, WI. We did plenty of canoeing and consumption of adult beverages. My wife's family still has a cabin in nearby Iron River.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr

Southern California fishing can be a rather different experience ...

Don%20and%20Blue%20Gill%20Big%20Bear%202000.jpg

then again ...

Don%20Flyfishing%20at%20Black%20Bear%20Lake%202001.jpg

and

Don%20and%20Golden%20Trout%20Sierras%201992.jpg