San Diego Banter

TrailGators

That's odd. I can't edit my last post. I was going to wipe it out since I assummed the silence about my joke was not golden. I guess I was the only one that thought it was funny. I hate when that happens! :(

Hi Pat - There is a max time limit on how long you are able to edit a post. I don't know how long it is, but it is something like a few days. RM

I guess I was the only one that thought it was funny. I hate when that happens!  :)

I thought it was funny! I think we're just in the dog days following Labor Day, with new clothes, new schools, new teachers, homework, etc. I haven't even had time for so much as an urban micro this whole week! :P

Edited by FlagMan
I guess I was the only one that thought it was funny. I hate when that happens!  :D

I thought it was funny! I think we're just in the dog days following Labor Day, with new clothes, new schools, new teachers, homework, etc. I haven't even had time for an urban micro this whole week! :P

One laugh makes it all worthwhile! :) I know what you mean about things being hectic! I did get to cache in Pennsylvania this week! Caching in a dense forest adds some challenges but it was fun for a change of pace!

You must be going through withdrawals.  Have you gotten medical attention? :)

Funny you should say that. I tried to give blood the other day and they rejected me because my iron count was too high (must be one of the LXG things) and my blood pressure was too high. One week without Geocaching and my whole body falls apart! I feel like that guard in the X-men movie who had to take dinner to Magneto in the "metal-free jail" after being injected with iron. I just hope I don't explode like he did....

Edited by FlagMan
You must be going through withdrawals.  Have you gotten medical attention? :)

Funny you should say that. I tried to give blood the other day and they rejected me because my iron count was too high (must be one of the LXG things) and my blood pressure was too high. One week without Geocaching and my whole body falls apart! I feel like that guard in the X-men movie who had to take dinner to Magneto in the "metal-free jail" after being injected with iron. I just hope I don't explode like he did....

That's funny Tom! We'll have to start calling you "Iron Man"! :)

We'll use the Black Sabbath song as be your theme song!

DA DA.......DA DA DA...... :)

DA DA.......DA DA DA...... :blink:

Is he live or dead.... has he thoughts within his head.....

He was turned to steel

In the great magnetic field

Where he traveled time

For the future of mankind

This does sound like a LXG thing!

Edited by TrailGators
You must be going through withdrawals.  Have you gotten medical attention? :blink:

Just promise to use your new-found powers for good, and not for evil. :laughing:

He was turned to steel

Where he traveled time

Can you imagine Ozzie geocaching? Black Sabbath's Paranoid was the first record album I ever owned....

Edited by FlagMan

He was turned to steel

Where he traveled time

Can you imagine Ozzie geocaching? Black Sabbath's Paranoid was the first record album I ever owned....

I think Ozzie would have loved it! But he would have bitten the head off any micros he found! :blink:

The first record I ever bought was a 45 of "Revolution" by the Beatles. Seems like all my first records were 45s. Don't laugh but the first full-size 33 1/3 album my sister and I ever got was the Partridge Family! :D I had to keep that a secret all the way through high school and college! :blink: The first time I ever heard Ozzie, I was at the Dewey beach in Delaware with all my HS buddies doing experiments to see how much beer we could drink. We used to go there every year as soon as school ended. The good old days! :ph34r:

Harmon (and Harmon's friends), I'm only joking! :lol: If I had shown a guy in front of a PC with Photoshop on his screen, it would have been boring! This site is supposed to be as far from boring as possible!  :lol:

4380bda1-af02-47cc-b387-dc74a17cf434.jpg

Geocaching grandma "Hot Tubbers" at Great East Lake, New Hampshire where Judy and Bruce own lake-front property. The lake is two-thirds in New Hampsire and one-third in Maine. The lake provides the head-waters that separate New Hampshire from Maine along the southeastern border.

Bruce and Judy spend summers at the lake and winters just three-doors from Sandy and I in Santee.

During our stay I decided that Judy is the mother I never knew, yes I did. You see I was separated from my mother at birth. I now call Judy "mom," and so my new mom is several years younger than I and I'm my own grampa or something like that.

Life is good,

Harmon

Say, take another look at that photo, that is a grandmother up on one ski cuttin' th' wake for crying out loud. Pass the Ensure if y' don't mind.

Don't start with me either, somebody had t' take that terrific photo.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Pond in Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, Maine. By the way, how hot was it in San Diego while we were gone?

Harmon, that does look like an awesome place (now) but go back and shoot that same photo in 3-4 months! :lol:

It's good to see you guys had a good time!

Yeah, no fooling, we'd drive out onto the pond. That's why our New Hampshire pals spend the winter in Santee.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Pond in Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, Maine. By the way, how hot was it in San Diego while we were gone?

Harmon, that does look like an awesome place (now) but go back and shoot that same photo in 3-4 months! :lol:

It's good to see you guys had a good time!

Yeah, no fooling, we'd drive out onto the pond. That's why our New Hampshire pals spend the winter in Santee.

Harmon

The cowboys don't go back in the winter to go ice fishing? :lol:

Edited by TrailGators
2675735e-f28e-4b69-ab80-dc9aff9d541d.jpg

Hey everybody! ... there's a new boat in town. Whodat?

I hereby declare a contest to name that boat.

My suggestions:

The Ammo Box

Tupper Ware

Keegan (Irish for Little Firey One)

Lattitude Attitude

Cache 22

Fastidiots <_<

Bow Movement <_<

Harmon, if it's your boat may I suggest:

HOOF HEARTED

Edited by Night Hunter

Whose boat is it?

If it's the Splash's boat: Make a Splash or Splashmobile

Other names: Luna Sea or Seas The Day

Not the Splashboat......

Splashboat's name is: HELL FROZE OVER

There's a story behind that name, of coarse...... <_<<_<:blink::huh:

Whose boat is it?

Not the Splashboat......

There's a story behind that name, of coarse...... <_<<_<:blink::huh:

Does the story have something to do with Splashman not getting that boat unless hell freezes over..

Whose boat is it?

Not the Splashboat......

There's a story behind that name, of coarse...... :ph34r::ph34r::lol::ph34r:

Where were you guys when we needed you? This sucker already has a name,,,,,Pigs Flew. Now I wonder where we got THAT idea?

Like all the other suggestions though.

$kimmer,

Marty, you are sure some dame. Now we have "Hell Froze Over" and "Pigs Flew" in our local Geocaching armada.

Knowing the inside story as I do I must speculate that it was Mr. The Vulture that said "When pigs fly" - with regard to having a bat-boat.

I'm really happy for the two of you. My swim suite and towel are ready and waiting of course.

Your pal,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
Why I oughta …

Several days ago I was surprised to receive a well-intended email from Wiz Creations. He urged me to, shall we say, get up off of my sorry old rump to hike back up to “Nick’s Graffiti Rock Cache” in the scorching heat of our Santee summer and check on the cache so as to re-enable it. In truth there have been two or three no-finds reported and such an action was on my Geocaching game plan, you know, as we old folks often say, eventually.

He offered the view that since I was recently able and willing to score his MTRP “The Puzzle Without a Name” then surely my once-broken ankle must be well enough to climb another steep hill to check on a cache that he hadn’t been able to find. In my mind I could imagine a faint echo of his thoughts “What’s holdin’ you up old man?”

Can you imagine? Picture in your mind a seasoned old trooper such as I responding to a hustle from that young punk Wiz Creations? Why I oughta ….

b275094b-ab19-449e-b32f-353f1d5f2147.jpg

Trouble was that his hustle started working on my mind in the wee hours in that manly sort of way, you know, "Why I oughta show that kid what an old man can do." After three days of that thought messing with my rest I was ready to start swingin’ from vines. Yeah, I fell for it, and don’t y’all go rubbin’ it in y’ hear?

So one hot Santee day earlier this week I slipped into my best safari shorts, laced on my manly hiking boots, loaded two ammo’ cans with Geocrappola, and set out in Ruby May to take care of bidness at "Nick’s Graffiti/White Rock Cache." Figured that I’d have t’ replace Nick’s cache and while I was up that steep hill I might just as well set out a new one for Nick’s little sister Olivia. Off I went grinding up that steep hill with two ammo’ cans clunking together, my GPSr and camera pokin’ me in the side, and salty sweat streaming down my face and into my poor old eyes. Why I oughta ….

Well, wouldn’t you know that Nick’s cache container was right where we originally placed it. So what was all the DNF log-entry fuss about? Well, just maybe it was because a huge wood-rat nest completely fills the hidey hole now. It’s a marvelous wood-rat nest made of clean and neatly cut and placed sticks, twigs, and grass. If y’ ask me it’s really worth seeing. I left it as is.

So there I stood dripping sweat, roasting in the unbearable sun, and thinking about the reason that I’d just hauled my rump and two large ammo’ cans up a steep hill in hundred-degree heat on a poor old stiff ankle. Wiz Creations huh? Why I oughta ….

The rest of this story is too long to tell but involves placing two new caches higher up that STEEP trail, having only one of them approved, and returning up that STEEP hill to move an unapproved location just this morning. That darned ridgeline is piled with huge magma-bubble monoliths but container hidey-holes are mighty hard to come by. Now my arms are completely decorated with old-man bruises, cuts, and scrapes from inspecting dozens of poor locations. Why I oughta ....

Well the deed is done, now there are, count em, five Geocaches along that STEEP and lonely  trail. One of the new caches has already been located as a FTF by that intrepid Cegrube guy. Beyond that I have undergone a week of the demanding exercise that my doctor ordered during my recent Kaiser health appraisal, and all of my manly outfits are piled in the laundry basket awaiting my attention. To top it all off I have suffered blast-furnace temperatures along that killer trail to check on a cache that in the end wasn’t missing at all. I’m lucky I didn’t die.

All this at the hand of Wiz Creations, that punk kid, why I oughta ....

Harmon,

What's left of me that is.

Did I mention a Wednesday outing with the Geobabes on top of all this trouble?

Interesting point of view. Here is how I see (yes see, look at the cache page) the conversation:

July 5

Looked around for a while, but couldn't find it. Hope your ankel heals soon so that you can make sure that it was just me not finding it instead of it being missing.

August 27

Can you go check on this now? It seems your ankle is doing better since you temporarily archived it because you were able to get my puzzle in MTRP on August 19.

Thanks!

August 27

Actually, yes, I've been planning on getting this cache back into business. In fact I may place another one in that general area for Olivia, Nick's little sister.

Harmon of SD Rowdies

August 29

Finally found time and inclination to check on this cache. Turns out that the container is just where we placed it in a terrific hidey hole. Apparently a Wood Rat felt the same about the hidey hole and built a marvelous nest of twigs and sticks right on top of the container.

Everything was in order within the Navy ammo' can. Still some decent swag and plenty of room in the logbook.

Surprised to find that the big graffiti rock has been painted completely white.

Refined the coordinates by a mere click or two so should be a tad easier to locate. Hauled a couple of new cache containers up the hill with me thinking that I needed to replace Nick's Cache and place a new one. Turns out that I placed two new caches to increase the interest in climbing this steep trail.

Enjoy,

Harmon of SD Rowdies

I guess it would have been nice if I actually went out and got it, but I think school started so I never got a chance.

Edited by Wiz Creations

Wiz, it was great to meet you at the Santee picnic event. I've waited with enthusiasm for you to discover my geezer versus young-man literary piece.

Knowing from your Geocaching activities that you enjoy literature I hoped that the classic plot wherein old-man encounters young-man would be entertaining for you. As I recall the classic plot concludes with the two protagonists respecting each other and the old man seeing much of his lost youth in the young man. Let's make it so.

Clearly you have bested me in our exchange as I've been up that darned hill three times in summer heat at your urging and you've had the good sense to not go up at all. How dumb am I?

By the way, you need to work on your Bratwurst moves if you plan to challenge those bruisers next round. If I were you I'd demand that the competition be reorganized into weight classes.

Have a great good time with Romeo and Julliete.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

DA DA.......DA DA DA...... :ph34r:

He was turned to steel

Where he traveled time

Hi Flagman

Ozzie does go caching in manner of speaking!

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=908

Nice to see you at the picnic

ttfn

Jane

aka jane8276 in the old days!!

Edited by Silver Horde
Hey Harmon I have a few pics from the get together if you want I'll send them to you

My email address in on the way to you. Thanks for your kind offer, I can't wait.

My Geocaching photo gallery is sure rounding out nicely and I'm always on the lookout for new Photoshop subjects, sorry, victims.

Come to think of it you probably have some photos from the early days of San Diego Geocaching. That might be a nice series for this thread. Between you and the few remaining earliest local Geocachers there are probably some important historical shots worth sharing.

Thanks pal,

Harmon

[.

Come to think of it you probably have some photos from the early days of San Diego Geocaching. That might be a nice series for this thread. Between you and the few remaining earliest local Geocachers there are probably some important historical shots worth sharing.

Thanks pal,

Harmon

Harmon your welcome to pull anything from my gallery, I also ran across a cd that BQ left in a cache it has pics of the first 2 SD events and a few others I'll send them to you :rolleyes:

[.

Thanks pal,

Harmon

Harmon your welcome to pull anything from my gallery, I also ran across a cd that BQ left in a cache it has pics of the first 2 SD events and a few others I'll send them to you :blink:

Vagabond,

Thanks for the oldies and permission to post some of them. Keeping track of the early San Diego Geocachers is worth doing.

Harmon