San Diego Banter

TrailGators

Hi Barbara, you have to get the PQ in GPX format! This option is in a dropdown menu near the bottom of the PQ creation page. :blink:

:D Hey Trailgators.......I have checked the drop down menu (if your talking about the drop down that give you the 2 options of LOC and GPX) and I have the GPX option. I thinking of a new fad...Palmless caching....paper is only $2.98 a ream Lori is on her way over here and maybe two Blondes brains are better than one..... :rolleyes:

ok Harmon...not so ok here. When I do a file convert, I get a message that tells me I am in LOC format and all the good stuff won't appear on my palm...where'ns do ya'll change some'n like that. Next lesson will be on cowboy slang.

When I make my pocket querry it shows it's in gpx format. Watta ya charge fer a house call?

Bar-B.R.A you just said that you were in LOC format! If you get a PQ in GPX format, Harmon's method works perfectly!

Bar-B.R.A you just said that you were in LOC format! If you get a PQ in GPX format, Harmon's method works perfectly!

That's what I don't get...The querry page says gpx but when I convert it says it's in LOC....

We had a taker on the free beer...thanks Pat!!

No problemo Barb! I'll do almost anything for free beer! :D I've helped friends move, helped them paint their houses....Anyhow, I hope it works for you! :rolleyes:

Edited by TrailGators

Harmon, I blew beer out my nose when I read your comment to the Geobabes above: "When I was young it was really hard to get girls out into the bushes. Now that I'm too old Geocaching makes it so easy."  ;)

Man, I missed the beer offers while finishing up our laundry room refurbishment. Look at you guys cutting in on my deal with the Blondes. Why I oughta ....

Pat, thanks ever-so much for sharing your reaction to my comment. Blew beer out your nose y' say? Wish I knew about your beer-nose trick before we finished your YMS card layout. That's too good for a misprint version, and to think that you complained about the high-water britches.

Actually you might be on to something new in text messaging that will supplant FOTFLMAO, how about BBOMNLMAO? Snappy don't y' think?

On a more serious note I once read in a Bavarian health pamphlet that beer is a great conditioner for nose hair. Pay attention tomorrow and see if it isn't so. As I recall from the article you should experience a glossy sheen and your comb should glide through your nose hair with a new ease. No more split ends as well. Might tickle when y' breath. Not sure how long it lasts.

Once I saw Mary Tyler Moore take a drink of water and then drain it out through her nose as a stupid-human-trick while on the Letterman show. Guess she does that on a regular basis. Now there's an ol' gal I would want to take out into the bushes for sure. Yeah, take her twice and bring her back once I would.

Wonder if the Blonds that run Amuk can do that trick? Ask 'em while you're having my beer with them tomorrow you cad. No wait, some weenie slipped in and beat us both to th' Blonds didn't he? Dang, and I had pictures. How old did y' say you are now Pat?

Poor ol' Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
[

No problemo Barb! I'll do almost anything for free beer! ;)  I've helped friends move, helped them paint their houses....Anyhow, I hope it works for you!  :huh:

:( Well it only took any entire geocaching community to get the blonds paperless. Seems our problem was we weren't receiving our pq by e-mail...hopefully the bug is fixed. Thanks partn'r Harmon...Trailgators and the Dillion Gang ;) . Its the simple stuff that gets us.

Anyone want to help us with maps....(just kidding)

Our motto...a friend will help you move....a good friend will help you move a body. ;)

Edited by blonds run amuck
No problemo Barb! I'll do almost anything for free beer! ;)  I've helped friends move, helped them paint their houses....Anyhow, I hope it works for you!  :huh:
:( Well it only took any entire geocaching community to get the blonds paperless. Seems our problem was we weren't receiving our pq by e-mail...hopefully the bug is fixed. Thanks partn'r Harmon...Trailgators and the Dillion Gang ;) . Its the simple stuff that gets us.

Anyone want to help us with maps....(just kidding)

Our motto...a friend will help you move....a good friend will hepl you move a body. ;)

Delighted that you have that problem sorted out. Have a great time during your Big Bear outing.

Harmon

903b106e-5486-417b-8f4f-642e76fd70d4.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies
Harmon, I blew beer out my nose when I read your comment to the Geobabes above: "When I was young it was really hard to get girls out into the bushes. Now that I'm too old Geocaching make it so easy." ;)

They call that an "Asner" on DSC.... You should call it in and get on the radio!

No wait, some weenie slipped in and beat us both to th' Blonds didn't he? Dang, and I had pictures.

Either very naughty or just not nice.....depends on what "weenie" you are talking about.

Steve,

You being the guy with the Bavarian beer-keg YMS misprint too. I know, I know ... y' snooze y' loose. Weenies and beer ... must be a Dillon thang.

Seriously, glad that the B.R.A. are now in good shape for their Big Bear trek. Looking back on my attempt to help them I forgot to mention the most basic point about requesting Pocket Queries in GPX format.

Duh, the heartbreak of old age.

Harmon

Looks like that could be the next Yrium card.  Nice job as always, Harmon.

--TT--

Are there blonds in New Jersey? What with all of the N.J. Italian families I wonder.

How's work going for you? We need some TT news out here in San Diego, people are asking about you.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
:huh: This just in.....B.R.A. just received their first pq by E-Mail!!!  We are on our way to Geo Babe sisterhood.  Thanks to all for your suggestions and hand holding.  Look out Big Bear...here we come.  And Harmon....love your show. ;)

O Lordy, here comes the Geocaching sisterhood; B.R.A. and the Geobabes. Will there be red hats?

Between my ex-nun bride and being assimilated by the Geobabes I'm a new but very nervous old man. What next, I get amuked by the Blonds?

Don't get me wrong, being married to an ex-nun ain't all that bad; especially on nights that she comes to bed in her left-over nunderwear.

I know what you're thinking ... no, she only wears a wimple to bed after plenty of wine during our anniversary escapades. Yowzah!

;) Harmon :(

Edited by SD Rowdies

Who else took photos of Gecko Dad's swim? Get 'em posted for cryin' out loud.

Seems like it's about time to change the "Subject" so I offer the following ...

9ef785c6-5fb7-484c-9033-2fdc1f9f7f1b.jpg

Wow! a dream come true. Thanks Don, any details to share?

Ruscal and I had a date last Friday with three sisters (GCPX6W).

-GD

Don't get me wrong, being married to an ex-nun ain't all that bad; especially on nights that she comes to bed in her left-over nunderwear.

I know what you're thinking ... no, she only wears a wimple to bed after plenty of wine during our anniversary escapades. Yowzah!

:lol:  Harmon  :P

Harmon, your wife is gonna whack you with a ruler across the back of your hands if she ever reads this stuff! I should know because I was the one getting whacked by the nuns when I was little. I remember one time when I was in 2nd grade a kid dared me to yell "Fick" in class. Of course I did it because I was fearless at the time. Ever been picked up by one of your ears? I'm not fearless anymore.

Harmon, your wife is gonna whack you with a ruler across the back of your hands if she ever reads this stuff! I should know because I was the one getting whacked by the nuns when I was little. I remember one time when I was in 2nd grade a kid dared me to yell "Fick" in class. Of course I did it because I was fearless at the time. Ever been picked up by one of your ears? I'm not fearless anymore.

Pat,

You're telling me? Remember when my ankle was broken and I told everybody that I fell from a ladder?

Yep, Sister Sandy and her ruler of death. It was awful.

Pat,

You're telling me? Remember when my ankle was broken and I told everybody that I fell from a ladder?

Yep, Sister Sandy and her ruler of death. It was awful.

Haha!

By the way, I'm not a cad..maybe a card....I was going to share my free beer with you for helping the B.R.A.s!

This just in ...Rocket Man's try-out for the Village People

9a9b41db-0d36-4b23-80ad-c956035ecd6c.jpg

Let's make posters and mail them, to his new place of business.

Hey, that's not funny!

Funnier than high water pants! :lol: That looks like one "happy" group of fellers! :P

So we can send the high water pants photo to Sony?

Hey the Japanese guys already wear them. :P

Hi Harmon, implementing my "Wizard of Oz" idea is beyond my current skill set. How about a lesson to show how to take familiar faces and blend them into a photo like the one below? :D

The key elements to cover would be:

1) How to make all the faces look like cartoon drawings?

2) How to make someone's face the same silver color as the Tin Man's or the same brown color as the Scarecrow's or the Lion's?

3f8c9703-c8c1-4c7f-b8e3-583d32a44298.jpg

Edited by TrailGators
Hi Harmon, implementing my "Wizard of Oz" idea is beyond my current skill set. How about a lesson to show how to take familiar faces and blend them into a photo like the one below? :D

2) How to make someone's face the same silver color as the Tin Man's or the same brown color as the Scarecrow's or the Lion's?

The last time I fell for your trick I wound up being the tricked. On the other hand I can't resist a challenge.

I'll get back to y' on this one as there's a lot to cover. Adding elements to a background in a natural way is a lot of fun and a lot of tedious work. Of course it seems to fit my mind-set and often keeps me out of trouble to some extent.

At four years of age my parents dropped me off curbside at a movie theatre to see Wizard of Oz. When the Wicked Witch of the West melted I levitated and hit the road to hot-foot it all the way across Abilene, Texas and back to our south-side hotel room. To this day I can't stand melting witches no matter which direction they come from.

Picture that nowadays, dropping a four-year-old at the curb to see a movie.

Times have surely changed. Now all the really scary women are in the stands to scream at Little League games. Now that is what the word "scary" was invented for.

Hi Harmon, I promise I won't do that to you this time! Anyhow, it's pretty obvious who Dorothy should be! I had the pleasure of caching with her today. She is very nice and best of all she has a very good eye! I'm not used to finding caches so quicklky. Anyhow, as far as the Scarecrow, I know a lot of us geocachers have plenty of straw stuck all over us when we get back from a day of caching. Man, I had plaenty of it on me today! But anyone could be the Scarecrow. The Tin Man needs a heart. Hmmm, who would that be? I have no idea who would make a good Lion.....So, I'll let you pick the victims...this time! :P

Edited by TrailGators
The Tin Man needs a heart. Hmmm, who would that be?

Lesson 6. Placing Photographic Elements into Graphic Images

Background

TrailGators posted a couple of Photoshop questions on page 12 of this San Diego Banter thread. The questions pertained to a Wizard of Oz graphic that he posted along with his questions. Here are the two questions.

1. How to make all the faces look like cartoon-drawings?

2. How to make someone's face the same silver color as the Tin Man's or the same brown color as the Scarecrow and the Lion?

Part 1. Matching facial coloration

Presenter’s choice is to handle the easiest question first, skin color and tone matching. The exercise is to copy a facial area from a digital photograph and paste it over one of the characters of the Wizard of Oz graphic.

For the exercise we’ll just use one of our favorite Photoshop models, none other than the ever-so famous RocketMan of recent San Diego fame.

Step 1. Using Photoshop, open the Wizard of Oz (WO) graphic image. Refer to the layer Palette and note that this graphic has become the Photoshop Background Layer.

Step 2. Using Adobe Bridge, open one of your best RocketMan (RM) photographs that provides a full facial view without hat and shadows. Use your favorite Photoshop Selection tool and the Free Transform feature as in earlier lessons to copy, paste, and transform the RM face so that it nicely covers the Tin Man’s face as a mask. Once placed into position refer to the Layer Palette to note that the RM face exists on a separate layer called Layer 1; that is, unless you prefer to rename that layer.

Step 3. Make sure that the RM layer is active and then lower the RM layer Opacity Slider as needed to reveal the underlying Tin Man’s facial outline. Use the Eraser Tool to carefully nibble away at the RM layer and the Free Transform feature to make it fit the area of the Tin Man’s face exactly. Pay particular attention to the juncture between the face and the funnel-hat and to the juncture between face and collar. When done reset the RM Layer Opacity back to 100%.

Step 4. On the Layer Palette select the Background Layer and click the Eyeball Icon of the RM layer so that it is inactive.

Step 5. Look carefully at Tin Man’s face and note that there is a wide variation in brightness that provides shadowing clues needed to impart realism to the graphic image. Also note that the same sort of shadowing exists for the facial area of the RM digital image. This is an important realization and relates to the cast-shadow discussion of an earlier lesson. Keep this realization clearly in mind because it is of paramount importance in the next step.

Step 6. Using the Eyedropper Tool select a color sample from the Tin Man’s face. Yes, of course, which part of the face is an issue isn’t it? Should you select color from the light part, from the dark part, or from somewhere in between? Think it out, the dark parts of the RM facial image already exist don’t they? The dark parts are the shadows of course. What is our intended goal? Why it is to transfer the color of the Tin Man’s face not the brightness of the Tin Man’s face. So take a color sample from that uniformly colored and uniformly bright area of the Tin Man’s face just below his right eye and just above his right cheekbone. Do so and note that the Foreground color swatch on the toolbox picks up the color sample from the Tin Man’s face.

Step 7. Reactivate and reselect the RM Layer. Use the Magic Wand selection tool and click anywhere on the RM layer except the face. Once clicked a selection marquee should appear that covers the entire layer except for RM’s face. From the Menu Bar choose “Select/Inverse” to invert the selection to cover only RM’s face.

Step 8. Select the Paintbrush tool. On the Paintbrush Options Bar click the drop-down arrow to expand the Mode Selection Box and then select “Color” mode. Now click the Opacity arrow and move the Opacity Slider to about 30%. Click the Brush Preset Picker arrow and adjust the slider for a brush size that is about the same size as the area of RM’s face; more or less about 50 pixels.

Note: Hopefully you have set the cursor options for a precision brush outline as discussed in an earlier Photoshop lesson or tip.

Step 9. Making sure once again that you have selected just the RM layer, use the Paintbrush tool to paint the metallic foreground color of the Tin Man’s face onto RM’s face. Because you set the brush Opacity to a low level then you can repaint one or more additional layers of color to suit taste. With any luck at all the existing shadowing of RM’s metallic but handsome face will be preserved in your resulting image.

Step 10. Look carefully at the edges of RM’s face and neck to see if there is a fringe of noticeable color that does not blend well with the underlying Tin Man image. From the Menu Bar select “Layer/Matting/Defringe” and then set the “Defringe Width” box to 1 pixel. Click OK and note that the fringe pixels take on the color of the underlying pixels of the Tin Man layer.

Well, there you have it, a quick and dirty way to make RM’s face look like it belongs on a rocket to Mars. This approach will yield the same results when transposing color from the Cowardly Lion or the Scarecrow to your choice of some friendly Geocacher. There are more complicated ways to accomplish an even better result with Photoshop but for our present purpose this lesson should do. As usual the text of this lesson will be proofed and the procedure verified after posting. Part 2 to follow. This may turn out to be the "Wizard of Odds."

e1914f3c-bb8d-4051-ac82-3a22b2b64796.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies
Hi Harmon, I promise I won't do that to you this time! Anyhow, it's pretty obvious who Dorothy should be! I had the pleasure of caching with her today. She is very nice and best of all she has a very good eye! I'm not used to finding caches so quicklky.

So you did read my post about how t' get gals out into th' bushes. See, and you blew beer through your nose just 'cause you thought I was kidding.

Good choice for Dorothy so I hope you were using your camera today. It's hard to round up photos of that sweet lady.

Hi Harmon, I promise I won't do that to you this time! Anyhow, it's pretty obvious who Dorothy should be! I had the pleasure of caching with her today. She is very nice and best of all she has a very good eye! I'm not used to finding caches so quicklky.

So you did read my post about how t' get gals out into th' bushes. See, and you blew beer through your nose just 'cause you thought I was kidding.

Good choice for Dorothy so I hope you were using your camera today. It's hard to round up photos of that sweet lady.

Harmon, as a matter of fact, I just shot one today!

Sorry Jess, but I think you're about to be going down the Yellow Brick Road! :P

4248ab2c-69af-4c3f-bc6e-082794712cbc.jpg

Harmon, as a matter of fact, I just shot one today!

Sorry Jess, but I think you're about to be going down the Yellow Brick Road! :P

4248ab2c-69af-4c3f-bc6e-082794712cbc.jpg

See, I told you so, in the olden days she would never have gone off into the bushes with you.

A Dorothy is born but where's her Ruby red slippers?

Hi Harmon, implementing my "Wizard of Oz" idea is beyond my current skill set. How about a lesson to show how to take familiar faces and blend them into a photo like the one below? :huh:

Well... I was thinkin'... there were four of us plus a dog that FTF'd Ding dong, the witch is dead! by the man behind the curtain ((aka Dan-oh) aka the Wiz)... and Becca was the only geo-dog there!

Maybe a couple versions/misprints ;) are in order :P

John's just dying to post me in my Dorothy Halloween costume ;):P

But I know what happens to photos on this forum and that may be the reason, Harmon dear, that they are hard to come by!

~Jess

I know what happens to photos on this forum and that may be the reason, Harmon dear, that they are hard to come by!

~Jess

75e63591-be42-4f8f-a952-dbcb67ab466b.jpg

Huh? you talkin' about me girl?

Can't wait to see you in your Dorothy costume. Sounds like some sort of dominatrix deal for John. "O John, click your heels together three times ... ." :P

By the way, Jess dear, good idea about adding the rest of the cast of Woz characters. O yeah, we need better pictures of your dawg too.

While we are at this, do read "The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch" to learn how the witch got wicked in the first place. A great book.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
Harmon are you trying to get me in trouble? I can say that I did see Jess pick up a toad today! However, she didn't kiss it, so we'll never know who it would have turned into! :P

O.K., O.K. ... it's a strain but I'm going to let the fact that it was a horny toad slip right on by.

Is it just me, Pat, or does it really seem like you can get yourself into enough trouble without my help?

Harmon are you trying to get me in trouble? I can say that I did see Jess pick up a toad today! However, she didn't kiss it, so we'll never know who it would have turned into!  :P

O.K., O.K. ... it's a strain but I'm going to let the fact that it was a horny toad slip right on by.

Is it just me, Pat, or does it really seem like you can get yourself into enough trouble without my help?

Harmon, trust me I had the same strain. But I didn't want this to happen to me: smashfreakB.gif

OK, thanks for that lesson Harmon! I was able to colorize Jess's face to match fairly closely to cartoon Dorothy's face using your techniques. Of course practice makes perfect! But like you said we need some more photos to be able to do the rest of the gang!

Wow! Jess with tassles. Does she twirl?

Good going TrailGators. By now you will have seen my email answering your question about the brightness issue with the face that you are using to replace the Cowardly Lion's face.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Two down and two to go!  :)

I figured since John is tall he should be the Tin Man.

Dave's head was better angled for the Lion.

But now I'm stuck because I can't find any photos of the other two.....

9e311b5b-24c6-49af-8009-c2d5b20fa843.jpg

Pat,

Attaboy, looks like you sorted out the coloration problem just fine. Maybe just a tad of blending for the Lion's new head.

With regard to the angle of the head, just use the Free Transform feature and go just outside the corner resizing handles to rotate the transformation as needed.

I keep asking people to post more photos of themselves but for some reason or another they seem a bit reluctant. Can't imagine why.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies