San Diego Banter

TrailGators

Hey now...play nice, guys.  Or I shall be forced to drop another puzzle on you remotely! ;)

--TT--

Oh, yes, please! Consider the ball taunted! (as I dance to the Masochism Tango!)

By the way, anyone else ever listen to Tom Lehrer? Jeff might relate to this one: "...the breakfast garbage they throw out in Troy, they drink at lunch in Perth Amboy..."

Some of my favorites:

The Vatican Rag

New Math

Smut

Poisoning Pigeons in the Park

Wernher von Braun

Pollution

Who's Next

and, of course, The Masochism Tango

Edited by FlagMan
Hey now...play nice, guys.  Or I shall be forced to drop another puzzle on you remotely! :D

--TT--

Oh, yes, please! Consider the ball taunted! (as I dance to the Masochism Tango!)

By the way, anyone else ever listen to Tom Lehrer? Jeff might relate to this one: "...the breakfast garbage they throw out in Troy, they drink at lunch in Perth Amboy..."

Some of my favorites:

The Vatican Rag

New Math

Smut

Wernher von Braun

Pollution

Who's Next

Wow, the Masochism Tango, I had forgotten about that one. It's a goodie! Don't forget another great one, "Be Prepared."

Be prepared...........that's the Boy Scout's solemn creed.

Be prepared...........and be clean in word and deed.

Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice,

Unless you get a good percentage of her price!

Be prepared......

And my personal favorite, "The Irish Ballad" or something like that.

Cool now we have something elso to quote besides Monty Python! ;)

Hey now...play nice, guys.  Or I shall be forced to drop another puzzle on you remotely! :D

--TT--

Some of my favorites:

The Vatican Rag

New Math

Smut

Wernher von Braun

Pollution

Who's Next

Wow, the Masochism Tango, I had forgotten about that one. It's a goodie! Don't forget another great one, "Be Prepared."

Be prepared......

And my personal favorite, "The Irish Ballad" or something like that.

Cool now we have something elso to quote besides Monty Python! ;)

Life is so very good. Being associated with so many open and inquisitive minds is a thrill and delight.

Pray for me today, I'm being abducted by the Geobabes once again.

Be prepared......

...And if you run across a Girl Scout who is similarly inclined,

Don't be fearful, don't be flustered, don't be scared....

BE PREPARED!!

Edited by FlagMan

Don you're swimming the wrong way! Quick! Turn left!  :laughing: I think I see TT in that picture! ;)

Hey now...play nice, guys. Or I shall be forced to drop another puzzle on you remotely! :rolleyes:

--TT--

Oh no Mr. Bill! It's Sluggo! :laughing:

d5579157-b72f-4708-ac66-76c859a8e052.jpg

Hey TT, I was being nice! When everyone was chatting about "cuteyman" and "douche-we" on the main forum, I refrained. But since this IS the banter site I couldn't resist.....especially after seeing Harmon's artwork! ;) By the way, it is ALL in good fun! ;)

Edited by TrailGators

I received this email this morning showing a trucker who has painted his cab and trailer with the names of all those who lost their lives in 9/11. The trucker's name is John Holmgren from Shafer, Minn. The trucker has been "pulled over" numerous times just so the troopers can get their picture taken with the truck. I figured I'd share this with all of you! :rolleyes:

0f83405b-4b31-4dac-b248-61e44a42d99a.jpg

a9ba6637-9c95-402f-aff8-aece397d4f23.jpg

b0fa9105-a240-46b0-ba74-cafa7ef6ea91.jpg

1cc1a2a2-dc17-43b4-8382-3d2fb8e0abc6.jpg

69768d3e-12ba-4704-a1d2-d3baf9ff4f29.jpg

Edited by TrailGators
Recently sighted in Santee

I saw a few Vagabond logs in Old Town area earlier this week and can confirm he left his mark(s). Nice to have a "founder" bless us with a visit.

-GD

He was active in Santee last week, doing several caches there. Check the log banter of Vagabond versus Sandy and I at the #48 Santee cache. He can dish it out as well as take it.

By the way, he has a new look, he was without handlebar-mustache.

1c079fe4-66dd-445c-bf52-1b59224df392.jpg

FishnJack and a Geocacher to be named later. That's a graphic that cries out to be 'shopped. Another good swimming hole for Gecko Dad perhaps?

Who else took photos of Gecko Dad's swim? Get 'em posted for cryin' out loud.

By the way, thanks for posting those trucker pix. Must be a thrill to run across that truck at a stop.

Edited by SD Rowdies

The Assimilation – 0900, August 3, 2005

In the many years that I have known them I had no reason to suspect that $kimmer and Splashette were far more than the Geobabe duo of local Geocaching fame. Unfortunately truth dawned too late for me for now I have been assimilated.

A cleverly disguised Borg scout ship arrived at my home precisely at 0900 on Wednesday, August 3, 2005. Outward appearances deceived because the scout ship seemed nothing more than an ordinary Jeep Cherokee. Too late I realized the significance of the “V-GER” vanity plates.

Closing the hatch of the rear crew compartment I was astonished to see that the vehicle was outfitted with a glowing and beeping array of advanced command, control, and guidance equipment.

At first bewildered I soon realized that I had been strapped down and assimilated into a Borg hive in biologically unusual ways. Cables and tubing of various sorts and sizes penetrated my body in unexpected and surprising ways. Oddly the experience was at once comforting and reassuring. A sensation of well being washed through my body as a battalion of nanoprobes sallied along the byways of my central nervous system. As if recalling an old memory I sensed a subliminal message –

We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your soul. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

At once I received navigational information from two Garmin 60CS and one Magellan Platinum GPS receivers, database queries from two Palm Zire PDAs, map displays from a portable computer, search advisories from two 3G cell phones, crew-communication over a Bluetooth intercom installation, imaging services from three digital cameras, and a lot of pointed advice and direct supervision from the ship’s Captain and Navigator.

Mission instructions and operating procedures were immediately insinuated into my mind. I received the Borg identity designation “Seven and Three-Sixteenths of Nine.” I realized that Borgs $kimmer and Splashette were designated “Eight of Nine” and “Nine of Nine” respectively. Our mission was to seek meaning in the peculiar humanoid addiction of hiding worthless trinkets for like kind to find. It is a matter of extreme interest amongst the Borg to discover the cause for humanoid addiction to the unprofitable behavior referred to by code name Geocaching. Furthermore the Borg are convinced that all humanoids that willingly participate in Geocaching activities are certain to be highly susceptible to Borg Assimilation.

What followed was a highly organized and tightly controlled inspection of some twenty-three Geocaches spread over much of the central and surrounding San Diego urban areas. The mission report included the Cardinal finding that it is the smallest, most insignificant, least meaningful Geocaches that are manifestly most interesting to humanoid Geocachers. Go figure.

Our conclusive discovery was that humanoids are drawn to Geocaching containers much as a moth is drawn to a flame, because it is there to find. Indeed it is clear that humanoids are driven to touch each and every cache container on the face of planet Earth, and then to lobby for a way to do so all over again providing that they can double-clutch their find-count.

Our mission continues next week. Resistance is futile.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Hey Harmon:

Haven't a clue if we were "dissed" or complimented, but enjoyed the "novel" you wrote of our exploits on Wednesday. Do you find our excursions extradinary? Heck, we've been doing the Wednesday thing so long, it's just "normal" for us (whatever THAT is).

Hey Harmon:

Haven't a clue if we were "dissed" or complimented, but enjoyed the "novel" you wrote of our exploits on Wednesday.  Do you find our excursions extradinary?  Heck, we've been doing the Wednesday thing so long, it's just "normal" for us (whatever THAT is).

I'd like to be assimilated and go with you three one of these Wednesdays. I went solo today but for me it's a lot more fun going with a group!

Edited by TrailGators
Who else took photos of Gecko Dad's swim? Get 'em posted for cryin' out loud.

Ok, so how do you add pictures to the forum?

1) Go to your profile page and hit "Edit profile"

2) Click on "change/edit" under "Your Photo"

3) Click on "upload a new image"

4) After image uploads click on the new image and copy the url when the image shows up by itself.

5) Select IMG from the forum menu and paste the url

HelBob Duo, TrailGators, and $kimmer,

Thank you for your interest in my assimilation. I'll see what I can do to recover some visuals from the Borg scout ship following our next mission.

The assimilation has changed my life in unexpected ways. Learning to sleep upright while connected to a personal docking station (PDS) is a trifle annoying. It seems that the Borg hive to which I am assigned prefers background music with a disco beat.

Resistance is futile.

Regards,

Seven and Three-Sixteenths of Nine

The Assimilation – 0900, August 3, 2005

In the many years that I have known them I had no reason to suspect that $kimmer and Splashette were far more than the Geobabe duo of local Geocaching fame. Unfortunately truth dawned too late for me for now I have been assimilated.

A cleverly disguised Borg scout ship arrived at my home precisely at 0900 on Wednesday, August 3, 2005. Outward appearances deceived because the scout ship seemed nothing more than an ordinary Jeep Cherokee. Too late I realized the significance of the “V-GER” vanity plates.

Closing the hatch of the rear crew compartment I was astonished to see that the vehicle was outfitted with a glowing and beeping array of advanced command, control, and guidance equipment.

At first bewildered I soon realized that I had been strapped down and assimilated into a Borg hive in biologically unusual ways. Cables and tubing of various sorts and sizes penetrated my body in unexpected and surprising ways. Oddly the experience was at once comforting and reassuring. A sensation of well being washed through my body as a battalion of nanoprobes sallied along the byways of my central nervous system. As if recalling an old memory I sensed a subliminal message –

We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your soul. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

At once I received navigational information from two Garmin 60CS and one Magellan Platinum GPS receivers, database queries from two Palm Zire PDAs, map displays from a portable computer, search advisories from two 3G cell phones, crew-communication over a Bluetooth intercom installation, imaging services from three digital cameras, and a lot of pointed advice and direct supervision from the ship’s Captain and Navigator.

Mission instructions and operating procedures were immediately insinuated into my mind. I received the Borg identity designation “Seven and Three-Sixteenths of Nine.” I realized that Borgs $kimmer and Splashette were designated “Eight of Nine” and “Nine of Nine” respectively. Our mission was to seek meaning in the peculiar humanoid addiction of hiding worthless trinkets for like kind to find. It is a matter of extreme interest amongst the Borg to discover the cause for humanoid addiction to the unprofitable behavior referred to by code name Geocaching. Furthermore the Borg are convinced that all humanoids that willingly participate in Geocaching activities are certain to be highly susceptible to Borg Assimilation.

What followed was a highly organized and tightly controlled inspection of some twenty-three Geocaches spread over much of the central and surrounding San Diego urban areas. The mission report included the Cardinal finding that it is the smallest, most insignificant, least meaningful Geocaches that are manifestly most interesting to humanoid Geocachers. Go figure.

Our conclusive discovery was that humanoids are drawn to Geocaching containers much as a moth is drawn to a flame, because it is there to find. Indeed it is clear that humanoids are driven to touch each and every cache container on the face of planet Earth, and then to lobby for a way to do so all over again providing that they can double-clutch their find-count.

Our mission continues next week. Resistance is futile.

This just in...

5a3ee3bb-cf6a-4d34-be51-07b052c68541.jpg

New Geobabe?

bf5f8f03-0601-4e1b-b070-7bc085cafb2d.jpg

49f450fe-c62a-4dea-9c9a-a96526605cb3.jpg

Yepper, that's the deal for sure.

I'm adjusting pretty well to the assimilation. One problem I'm having is a rash around the interface orifices. Fortunately Eight-of-Nine and Nine-of-Nine mentioned a topical ointment used by the Collective, and promised to apply it for me tomorrow.

Resistance is futile,

Edited by SD Rowdies
bb3d71e6-f3de-468c-8f8a-c2daabb10ea0.jpg

:huh: Harmon...help....I know its been months since the paperless cahing event but "blonds" are still having trouble....now that I have completed my 12 step program for cachers maybe I can get this thing going. OK...so I really just want to be like the GeoBabes...can you blame me? I have re-read the directions and all the sites for paperless caching but being blonde, it still is not clear. I have a Palm....I have Gsak, I have CacheMate. I recently was able to down load caches into my palm...but there is limited info. No descriptions of the cache and no previous logs. Any suggestions?......please help us to be geo-geeks. :lol: We hear you're the master!!

:lol: Harmon...help....I know its been months since the paperless cahing event but "blonds" are still having trouble....now that I have completed my 12 step program for cachers maybe I can get this thing going. OK...so I really just want to be like the GeoBabes...can you blame me? I have re-read the directions and all the sites for paperless caching but being blonde, it still is not clear. I have a Palm....I have Gsak, I have CacheMate. I recently was able to down load caches into my palm...but there is limited info. No descriptions of the cache and no previous logs. Any suggestions?......please help us to be geo-geeks. :huh: We hear you're the master!!

First of all, thanks for believing that I'm a master on anything at all. Sounds like you've been talking to the Geobabes. My expertise is founded on the simple principle that I just never give up.

Secondly, I'm honored to have Blonds that run Amuk ask me for anything at all. Just yesterday as the Geobabes and I were tramping through bushes and weeds I said "When I was young it was really hard to get girls out into the bushes. Now that I'm too old Geocaching make it so easy." The Geobabes didn't even reply, they just made that flubbery noise with their lips and rolled their eyes just like my sweet bride often does. I keep wondering why she does that when I speak.

Sorry, I digress.

Any way let's start with a likely issue and go from there until you get the result you need with your PDA. So let me know if the following check-boxes are set when you export the Cachemate file from GSAK. Here's a couple of screen-shots below to clarify my meaning.

The first screen-shot just shows the selections for a Cachemate Export. Clearly you have that under control as you already mentioned being able to get the database into the PDA.

4f75635f-f0cb-478f-adac-5319dab69d11.jpg

The next screen-shot shows the many check-boxes you need to set to include detailed information within the file export. Check to see if these check-boxes are set during your database export.

af125c36-7754-4f22-aa80-6065fe658e85.jpg

Let me know if this initial stuff helps, if not we'll go from there. By the way, there's a brand-new version of GSAK available for download.

It has been delightful to watch $kimmer and Splashette handle their PDA and Garmin 60CS units. They are very efficient when doing a power-caching run. They also print waypoint maps showing cache locations for each run so there's still a few pages of paper involved. As they progress from cache to cache they use PDA information to filter out caches that have low probability of being found. With one 60CS set to off-road mode and another set to navigation mode little time is lost. Thus the piece I wrote about the Borg babes.

Harmon

4f56fc7b-a49d-44bb-a6be-2efdc666ce92.jpg

Geobabes in the bushes and cactus. Think of it, they have 5,452 finds between 'em. What wonderful smiles, what fabulous hair, what a pair ... well, never mind.

Edited by SD Rowdies
First of all, thanks for believing that I'm a master on anything at all. Sounds like you've been talking to the Geobabes. My expertise is founded on the simple principle that I just never give up.

I already see something I'm doing wrong. I did a "Load GPX/LOC" when exporting into my Palm. I'll try your version when I get home tonight (they don't like me doing this stuff at work) My goal is to have this up and going by tomorrow for a mega caching party weekend in Big Bear...nothing like waiting til the last minute. Thanks for the hand holding, Harmon. Once we work the bugs out , we'll be up to do the Cowboy caches. :D I'll get back to ya later.....did I just say ya?

I already see something I'm doing wrong. I did a "Load GPX/LOC" when exporting into my Palm. I'll try your version when I get home tonight (they don't like me doing this stuff at work) My goal is to have this up and going by tomorrow for a mega caching party weekend in Big Bear...nothing like waiting til the last minute. Thanks for the hand holding, Harmon. Once we work the bugs out , we'll be up to do the Cowboy caches. :D I'll get back to ya later.....did I just say ya?

Y'all talkin' cowboy talk huh? Ahm in luv ag'in, shore 'nuff Ah ayum.

Y'all don't f'rget t' post some Big Bahr pi'tures y' hayer?

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
ok Harmon...not so ok here.  When I do a file convert, I get a message that tells me I am in LOC format and all the good stuff won't appear on my palm...where'ns do ya'll change some'n like that.  Next lesson will be on cowboy slang.

When I make my pocket querry it shows it's in gpx format.  Watta ya charge fer a house call?

Hi Barbara, you have to get the PQ in GPX format! This option is in a dropdown menu near the bottom of the PQ creation page. :D

Harmon, I blew beer out my nose when I read your comment to the Geobabes above: "When I was young it was really hard to get girls out into the bushes. Now that I'm too old Geocaching make it so easy." :rolleyes:

Edited by TrailGators