San Diego Banter

TrailGators

2f9ca2bb-31b6-4813-8091-24a2b308bd9b.jpg

TrailGators,

I've got to hand it to you, Pat, that is some kind of super photo sleuthing you've done. So what's the deal, turning the tables on a poor ol' man like me?

Hey, we were just a couple of guys comparing our "units." They made me do it.

The photo was taken at Diamond Lake reservoir south of Hemet years back. That's Baldy of the Baldy & Goldilocks team. He plays trombone in the San Diego Concert Band.

Baldy and Goldilocks met while in the Air Force together. Goldilocks once dated Ken Mattingly just before he was selected as an astronaut. Of course I was compelled to ask Goldilocks - "Did you, you know, do the docking manuever with Mattingly." She laughed uproariously but hasn't answered my question to this day.

Harmon

p.s. With regard to truth in advertising I did indeed "enhance" my unit just a tad in that photo. Baldy's unit is life size by the way. I believe the word is "dinky."

Yeah, I know, two words ... dis-gusting.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Harmon, I couldn't resist when I saw that one!

Now we ALL have a goofy photo on this forum! :D

Edit: Funny story about the docking maneuver!

By the way, Baldy looks a lot like Billy Bob Thornton!

"How much ya want for dem french fried taters? :lol:

Edited by TrailGators
Harmon, I couldn't resist when I saw that one!

Now we ALL have a goofy photo on this forum! :lol:

Edit: Funny story about the docking maneuver!

By the way, Baldy looks a lot like Billy Bob Thornton!

"How much ya want for dem french fried taters? :D

I saw Baldy and Goldilocks tonight and mentioned that it might be wise for them to check the Banter thread.

You hit the nail on the head about Baldy, he has always expressed a wish to be a real country boy. He'll be ever-so pleased to hear that you see him as Billy Bob Thorton. Trouble is that it will go to his head and I'll have t' put up with him.

Be more careful where you skinny dip 'cause there's a new threat in the outback waters of San Diego County.

Harmon

3d8651fd-33fa-4660-82a0-d165bb625ce1.jpg

Hey, somebody had to do it.

been trying to duplicate...how????

Gosh, did I do a good one? I'll get back to you on this tonight because all my Jaws stuff is on my home machine.

Wait a minute, am I the target?

Edited by SD Rowdies
Been trying to duplicate...how????

Steve,

Had to reconstruct the Gecko Reflections image ‘cause I didn’t save the .psd file. The source files are “Great White Shark.jpg” and “Gecko Reflections.jpg” as provided below.

20e38d1c-fb03-4873-b255-90d0c0f2b98d.jpg

50e7afab-afe2-4c7b-8e42-c3b7be180ab2.jpg

The background layer is Gecko Reflections. I selected the shark image out of “Great White Shark.jpg” and pasted it into the composite as Layer 1. I used "Edit/Free Transform" to resized and reposition the shark and then used the Eraser tool to nibble the sharks belly away from the waterline. You’ll see from the next photo that I set the shark-layer Opacity at 45%.

240222ac-a637-43b7-bbda-f6dbd7aa66a1.jpg

Added Layer 2 and used it as an adjustment layer intended for “Color Burn” blend mode. Set the Paintbrush color to R237/G237/B237 as shown in the next photo. Brushed the entire composite image with a large, hard Paintbrush tool to affect the color burn. The Color Burn brings the reflections back into play and emphasizes the translucence of the water.

a1ec8711-a7bd-4c74-a705-54ad0aff6306.jpg

I think it helped a lot that the original shark image is grainy. Otherwise one could have used an "Artistic/Film Grain" filter to introduce a grainy quality into the shark image. This time I saved the darned .psd file if you need it.

Thanks for asking,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Hi Harmon, I am using your Photoshop lessons to teach my daughter Photoshop. Anyhow, she was messing with it and she totally changed the way Photoshop opens up. It is all screwed up from the way I had it (kind of like her room)! She had some photo browser open (which I figured how to get rid of by hitting the little folder with the magnifying glass in the upper right). But then she closed all the stuff that was on the right side. I need that stuff! I found some it it under Window, but I can't remember exactly everything that was there. Anyhow, is there a way to go back to the default view? :P

Hi Harmon, I am using your Photoshop lessons to teach my daughter Photoshop. Anyhow, she was messing with it and she totally changed the way Photoshop opens up. It is all screwed up from the way I had it (kind of like her room)! She had some photo browser open (which I figured how to get rid of by hitting the little folder with the magnifying glass in the upper right). But then she closed all the stuff that was on the right side. I need that stuff! I found some it it under Window, but I can't remember exactly everything that was there. Anyhow, is there a way to go back to the default view?  :P

Yah, sure, you betcha. On the menu bar just select "Windows/Workspace/Default Worspace" as shown below.

6cb04d8a-439b-4630-ae43-ba7950ff5da3.jpg

Be sure to reward your daughter for experimenting with PhotoShop features. What's that old saying - "I hear, I forget. I see, I remember. I do, I understand."

Whenever I'm asked about learning photo editing I always advise "Buy some photo-editing software and start screwing around with it." I would say that there's a chance that your daughter will become a great graphic-artist. With any luck at all she will continue to screw up your workspace.

By the way, her screwed-up room is another indication that she has the makings for a graphic-artist. You're so lucky. :P Believe me, I know.

Harmon

p.s. I look forward to seeing some of her work here on the SD Banter thread.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Thanks Harmon! If what you say is true then Alyssa will be the next Rembrandt! :P

Anyhow, I repeated Lesson 2 myself.

I found that the Lasso tool is also very handy! You can just follow the edge of something to add/subtract.

4c247cd5-ab82-460e-8d7c-da90755a4b31.jpg

I am also sad to report that the guy on the far right is moving to Denver.....

That makes two in this photo that have/will move away. Who's next?

Edited by TrailGators
Harmon, I never did complete Lesson 4. So here it is below.

Since I have Photoshop 8, I used Steve's Layers/Multiply trick followed by Edit/Transform/Distort and it worked pretty well!

17852d28-ad43-4e7b-babd-21d1ee520c17.jpg

This photo must have been taken a couple of thousand of caches ago! :blink:

Hey, sombody told me that you have PhotoShop CS2.

At any rate that's a great t-shirt. Also love th' new shorts on the Splashes on the other thread.

Awsome!

Harmon

Harmon, according to my "About Photoshop" dropdown, I have Photoshop CS 8.0. I also have Photoshop Elements at work. I didn't there was a CS2 and a Non-CS2 Version 8 and Non-CS2 Version 9. Anyhow, what I have does most of what you've taught us! :blink:

Harmon, according to my "About Photoshop" dropdown, I have Photoshop CS 8.0. I also have Photoshop Elements at work. I didn't there was a CS2 and a Non-CS2 Version 8 and Non-CS2 Version 9. Anyhow, what I have does most of what you've taught us! :blink:

The very latest version under the new CS2 packaging is Version 9.0. There's some nice features added in that latest version but what you have is causing plenty of trouble on the San Diego Forums I should think.

Harmon

The very latest version under the new CS2 packaging is Version 9.0. There's some nice features added in that latest version but what you have is causing plenty of trouble on the San Diego Forums I should think.

When my son gets up to UCLA this fall I'll have him pick up a copy of CS2 at the student price! :blink: This photo editing stuff gets more fun the more you do it!

4c247cd5-ab82-460e-8d7c-da90755a4b31.jpg

I am also sad to report that the guy on the far right is moving to Denver.....

That makes two in this photo that have/will move away. Who's next?

I am also sad to report that but what you bring up is interesting. It reminds me of the "Ten Little Indians" story. :blink:

Gone but by no means forgotten. Thank goodness for the Forum threads.

We expect a full report from you, TT, on the "Punkin' Chunkin' Festival."

Dave, you must fill us in on the next "Mike the Headless Chicken Festival" in Colorado.

http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/

Adios mi amigos,

Harmon

72ea11fa-264d-4b09-ba55-f051fcacae9b.jpg

TrailGators,

I leave it to you to "customize" this Amigos image. Maybe one blank face to be named later.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Dave, you must fill us in on the next "Mike the Headless Chicken Festival" in Colorado.

http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/

I think that's the main reason Dave decided to move there! B)

As far as the 3 Amigos, I think we need to make several sets of them because there are many more than 3 caching amigos around here! Say.....that gives me an idea!!! Maybe we can talk Tom into making a group YMS card!

This just in.

d851973f-24bb-4927-b60b-ec1de2cd04e3.jpg

So, did they discover the cache before or after they crashed into the pole??? :lol:

I cannot tell a lie, $kimmer did indeed ram the pole. The cache container popped out from the top of the pole during the whiplash. What you see in the photo is Harmon putting the container back where it came from some eleven feet off of the ground.

Do notice that the pole isn't plumb. Also note the level of trust between Splashette and $kimmer what with Splashette standing right in front of the Wrangler with $kimmer riding the clutch.

By the way, Mr. The Vulture just "loved" seeing the photo of his sweet bride's "parking job." He towed the Wrangler to San Miguel and then went off to do real work while the three of us got down to serious power caching for twenty finds.

$kimmer told me "You're more fun than The Vulture 'cause you let me do stuff that Jeff won't let me do." I said, "Shoot, it ain't my Wrangler."

I slept really well last night.

Th' ol' man,

Harmon

For viewers, your question is "Who took the picture?"

Edited by SD Rowdies

Awww c'mon now! I just climbed up in the tree to get that one! And you put Ol' harmon with his bum ankle on the hood of your car to get this?!??!

Where's the love?

BTW, Marty, did you not notice the huge parking lot not 35 ft behind the pole for you to park in?

--TT--

Edited by TucsonThompsen
Awww c'mon now! I just climbed up in the tree to get that one! And you put Ol' harmon with his bum ankle on the hood of your car to get this?!??!

Where's the love?

BTW, Marty, did you not notice the huge parking lot not 35 ft behind the pole for you to park in?

--TT--

TT, it was worse than you think.

When $kimmer plowed into the curb I was sitting in the back seat of the Wrangler. The collision vaulted me up over the front seat and windshield and onto the hood. I did a full pike and landed on my poor ol' tender feet.

Figured that I might as well snag the container since I was already on the hood of the Wrangler. I'm just thankful that I didn't wind up in the tree like you did.

Harmon