San Diego Banter

TrailGators

Just checking in. Nicely said TrailGators.

Hi Harmon, I thought it would be a great idea to post your lessons here! That way others can try them too! They are actually a lot of fun!

I second that request. I'd really like some help working with Photoshop. Besides, with all the stuff you folks have been doing to my image, I need a figthing chance to reciprocate. ;)

Besides, with all the stuff you folks have been doing to my image, I need a figthing chance to reciprocate. ;)

Yes, Devhead that Altoids container I put in your hand was pretty cruel! :D

Maybe you can retaliate by putting a Starbucks mints container in my hand! :D

Just kidding dude! ;)

Edited by TrailGators
Hi Harmon, I thought it would be a great idea to post your lessons here! That way others can try them too! They are actually a lot of fun!

I agree. will be posting my work on poor devhead and the stapler.

Harmon, even for someone who knows a little about photoshop, lesson one was helpful. here's what was learned at my end:

• how to make it look like the person was holding the object i imported.
  • using the scale command (where to find it)
  • merging layers to form the final product

devhead.jpg

Edited by The Dillon Gang

Glad to see a growing interest group for photo editing. Of course there's lots of other technical subjects to explore. As we gain new participants I do hope that they feel free to offer instruction and comments.

I'll clean up the first two PhotoShop CS2 lessons and post them tonight or in the morning. The odd thing is that we have almost fulfilled your set of goals in no time at all. Next lesson I'll concentrate on the important subject of layers.

TrailGators, the thing about Paint Shop Pro 9.0 is the terrific value for price. The essential features found in Adobe PhotoShop are also found in Paint Shop Pro. Of course there's no beating the Adobe product for completeness.

Steve, Tom seemed quite pleased with your new uDesignIt YMS card submission. I'll bet we see it released soon. The honoree is certainly deserving.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
Posting my work on poor devhead and the stapler.

Harmon, even for someone who knows a little about photoshop, lesson one was helpful. here's what was learned at my end:

• how to make it look like the person was holding the object i imported.
  • using the scale command (where to find it)
  • merging layers to form the final product

devhead.jpg

I love it that you took the lesson a step further. Nice job.

I am interested as well. I didn't get in on lesson one. I have Photoshop 7.0, and I am looking for help with photo editing.

I am interested as well. I didn't get in on lesson one. I have Photoshop 7.0, and I am looking for help with photo editing.

Welcome,

Soon I'll post the first two lessons on this thread.

First I must see how a detailed lesson plan turns out as a Forum post. That will be Lesson 3 to follow. Might have to make some adjustments in the copy so we'll see how it turns out.

Harmon

Lesson 3: Introduction to Layering, Part 1

Objective:

Convert color photograph to monochrome study

Method:

Mask color photo with duplicate layer, de-saturate duplicate layer, use Eraser Tool to reveal colorful subject within background layer.

Discussion:

Reducing distractions in a photograph in order to direct a viewer’s attention to a particular aspect of the composition is an interesting and sometimes striking technique. One interesting way to reduce distractions is to de-saturate everything within a composition except for a chosen point of interest. This method is especially striking when a composition holds a single item of interest that appears in bold color.

In this lesson the composition is a group shot of seven ever-so-famous Geocachers. The intent is to emphasize only one of the Geocachers and to suppress all other elements of the composition including the other six individuals. In this exercise Parsa is the star for reasons that will soon become clear on another San Diego Forum.

Resources:

Adobe PhotoShop CS2

Photograph “Elsinore Seven Original.jpg”

Photograph “Mono Color Parsa.jpg”

Lesson photos will be sent by personal email. If need be send your Email address via "SD Rowdies" Geocaching account.

Instructions:

Step 1

In PhotoShop CS2, open the file named “Elsinore Seven Original.jpg.”

Step 2

If needed activate the Layers Palette by choosing “Window/Layers” from the menu bar.

On the “Layers Tab” of the “Layers” palette, right-click the “Background” icon and choose “Duplicate Layer.” Click “OK” for the “Duplicate layer” pop-up window.

Note that a new layer named “Background copy” appears on the “Layers Tab” above the “Background” layer. Make sure that the “Background copy” layer is in focus. If it isn’t in focus than just click the ”Background copy” icon.

Step 3.

Because the “Background copy” layer is in focus this step will affect the duplicated layer but not the background layer.

Now choose “Image/Adjustments/’Hue/Saturation’” from the menu bar. On the “Hue/Saturation” pop-up window slide the “Saturation” control all the way to the left for a value of “-100.” Note that the duplicate layer image becomes a monochrome composition.

On the “Layers” tab click the “Eyeball” icon of the “Background copy” layer. Note that the “Background copy” layer turns off to reveal the underlying “Background” layer, still in living color and unaffected by the de-saturation. Turn the "Background Copy" layer back on.

Step 4

Now the fun begins. Select the “Eraser Tool” from the “Tools” toolbar.

If needed set the “Opacity” level of the “Options” toolbar to “100%” by clicking the adjustment arrow and sliding the opacity slider full right.

Click the adjustment arrow of the “Brush” option and set “Hardness” to “100%” and set “Master Diameter” to about 40-pixels.

Step 5

Start using the “Eraser Tool” to erase Parsa’s monochrome image from the “Duplicate copy” layer and note that the colorful “Background” layer becomes visible through the erasure.

Continue until Parsa's entire image is revealed in color by decreasing the “Master Diameter” setting as needed to erase ever-smaller areas of interest. Also use the “Window/Navigator” pane to zoom in on the image and so improve accuracy along the edges on interest.

Note that the “Master Diameter” setting can be used to fit the eraser tool exactly into the smooth curves that constitute to boundaries of Parsa’s image. With great care one can erase the monochrome layer in such a way that Parsa’s head, shirt, and arms are the only color objects within the scene.

Step 6

On the “Layers Tab” right-click the “Background Copy” title and choose “Merge Down.” Note that the duplicate layer merges down into the background layer.

Step 7

Choose “File/Save As” from the Menu Bar and navigate to your chosen working directory. Rename the image file and then click the “Save” button.

Remarks

Layering is one of the most important aspects of good photo-editing software. There are many types of layers that offer wonderful ways to enhance and alter photographs in surprising ways. Two or three more lessons will concentrate on useful layering methods.

I look forward to posted results. Don't forget to have fun.

Harmon

Example: Emphatically Parsa amongst dull and boring friends.

04d92455-5369-4b21-82fd-3e54e5c650bc.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies

Here's another example that used approaches outlined in Lessons 1 and 2.

The original image of Princess Toadstool and Idiosyncratic was posted on Sandy Creek Cowboy Cache No. 8. The shot of Carpenter from Hell was taken near the Sandy Creek goat pen.

The tree trunk at the lower left of the image is an artifact of the Cowboy No. 8 shot. I left it in because then I didn't have to reconstruct Idiosyncratic's rump, if you'll pardon my expression. Question is - How fast will she learn about my foolhardy remark?

Note that Carpenter from Hell seems to appear between the two gals. That was accomplished just as DevHead's thumb was seemingly gripping an Altoid tin in Lesson 2. Guess I should have included DevHead's thumb in this composite.

Pictures don't lie, no wait, that's not right.

Lessons 1 and 2 will be posted as soon as I get them cleaned up. I'll start including an Errata Section for Paint Shop Pro 9.0.

e0da34b0-45ff-474d-aec8-b85db392834d.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies
Project number two

Yeehaw! are you doing good or what? Love the different backgounds.

Looks like I'll have to take a lesson from Emeril Live and step it up a notch.

That photo of the Elsinore Seven is surely becoming famous. Maybe the rest of us should put ourselves into it.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Harmon, I can't wait to get back at it tonight! By the way I just got a new laptop at work and it came with Photoshop Elements!  :o

Is it a trial version or a supported version?

I've got a couple of newbie Geocaching friends, Dave and Bonnie, that have taken some Grossmont classes for that program. I purchased it too so that I could support their interests. Turned out to be pretty light on features as the low cost suggests.

Their Geocaching handle is "Clari-netacache." Guess what musical instrument Dave plays.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Harmon, I can't wait to get back at it tonight! By the way I just got a new laptop at work and it came with Photoshop Elements!  :o

Is it a trial version or a supported version?

I've got a couple of newbie Geocaching friends, Dave and Bonnie, that have taken some Grossmont classes for that program. I purchased it too so that I could support their interests. Turned out to be pretty light on features as the low cost suggests.

Their Geocaching handle is "Clari-netacache." Guess what musical instrument Dave plays.

It is the full version but it looks like a lobotimized version of Photoshop CS. Did you see my latest handy work back on the normal SD thread? RM wants us to post our creations back on that thread! That allows everyone to get a laugh or too! :antenna:

Edit: Forgot to answer you: the same thing that Benny Goodman played! :santa:

Edited by TrailGators
It is the full version but it looks like a lobotimized version of Photoshop CS. Did you see my latest handy work back on the normal SD thread? RM wants us to post our creations back on that thread! That allows everyone to get a laugh or too!  :antenna:

Edit: Forgot to answer you: the same thing that Benny Goodman played!  :santa:

Yes, I looked for and found your editing job on the regular SD Thread. I am ever-so pleased how well you guys are doing.

Can't wait until our editing team turns loose on the general population.

Yep, Dave plays clarinet in the SD Concert band.

Nice work,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
Just when you think you can do something with PhotoShop, take a look over at worth1000.com, as in a picture is worth...

Awesome stuff there.

(I still like what your doing here though)

Cool site Dan-oh! Harmon you should enter that contest!

As far as this Photoshop thread goes Harmon is a fantastic instructor!

I really appreciate the time he has spent helping us learn to be photo comedians!

Let's see if I can post my image for lesson 3. This was a quick try to see if I got it right.

Perfecto, exactly the intended effect. There's nothing better than pickin' on that Elsinore bunch, especially the Geobabes. Splashette's hair is truly wonderful. It seems that Bonbons are a great conditioner for corn-tassel coiffures. Too bad there wasn't another blond in the picture.

The result reminds me of a similar editing job I did on a shot taken last New year's evening at table full of Geocachers including Norma wearing a bright pink top.

Once I learned this method I've added it to my photography. Now I actually keep an eye out for compositions that are suited for monochrome versus color treatments. Truth is that such a composition is hard to find.

Apparently I bypassed the stage werein I discover how competent you Geocachers are with a photo editor. Do feel free to take over the lessons or add a lesson of your own.

Harmon

The pink top and some really old Geocachers.

2990795d-9af0-4666-ab60-a3ac27da07dc.jpg

Wait, here's another blond Geocacher. It's Baldy & Goldilocks with family. Figure out where the hair came from that's sort of plastered atop Baldy's head.

55e603e5-a93d-4c8b-be5a-ae6ae4a66bd2.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies

Lesson 1 for those that missed it first time around.

Photo Editing Series for Geocachers

Lesson 1: Image Selection and Placement

There are two practice files. Objective is to select the Altoid tin, place it on the Devhead image and then resize and move the tin into his hand and cause it to appear as held by a thumb.

Step 1. Place the two images to a working directory.

Step 2. Start Adobe PhotoShop. Select "File/Browse" and then navigate to the working directory.

Step 3. Double click file “Altoid.jpg” to open it. Make sure that the Tools toolbar is visible, if not then select Windows/Tools from the menu bar.

Step 4. Select the Magic Wand tool and then click into the white area of image “Altoid.jpg.” You will see a dashed-line marquee outlining the white area. Now choose "Select/Inverse" from the menu bar. The marquee will now outline the Altoid tin.

Step 5. Select "Edit/Copy" from the menu bar and close the “Altoid.jpg” image. Open the “DevHead.jpg” file. Now select "Edit/Paste" from the menu bar. You should have a large Altoid tin at the center of the Devhead image. Look at the "Layer" palette where you should see a Layer 1 thumb-nail with the Altoid tin. Note that the background layer has the Devhead image but not the tin.

Step 6. From the toolbar select the "Move Tool." Now, just for fun, click and drag the Altoid tin around over the DevHead image.

Step 7. Choose "Edit/Transform/Scale" from the menu bar. Note that resizing handles now appear on the Altoid selection. Grab a corner handle and drag the Altoid tin down to a smaller size that befits the background image. Drag it right over DevHead's left hand and just below the knuckle of his thumb.

Step 8. On the "Navigator" tab zoom the image up to a large size and move the view rectangle so that you have a large view of DevHead left hand and the Altoid tin.

Step 9. Select the Eraser tool from the toolbar. On the tool options toolbar, resize the Brush to a small value like six or seven. Making sure that Layer 1 is highlighted in the Layer tab, start erasing the portion of

the Altoid tin that overlays DevHead's thumb. There's a way to do this with improved accuracy but we'll cover that later. This is where the tedious part comes in.

Step 10. Now right-click the blue area of Layer 1 and choose "Merge Down." Now select "File/Save As" from the menu bar and save your masterpiece to a new file name. Never, ever save to an original file name so that you destroy an original file.

With care you can achieve the effect that Devhead is actually holding the Altoid tin. Do a few practice runs on this exercise and you'll be well along toward photo alterations.

Here are some things to note about this exercise.

1. You gained some exposure to layers. Layering is an extremely important aspect of photo editing. There are many types of layers with wonderful benefits. We'll explore layers as we go along.

2. Start memorizing the major elements of the PhotoShop layout. Do a lot of cursor hovering over tools and features to memorize their titles. Explore the menu bar selections to note their name. There's a good introduction to the layout within the Help system.

Now that you have a new Devhead image use it to repeat the exercise. You can then place the DevHead with Altoid tin selection into another image.

Here's the thing, these images were selected for a first exercise because the objects within the image are extremely easy to select with the Magic Wand tool. Most selections are quite difficult; for example, when a head of

hair is involved. With hair and trees in a scene, backgrounds bleed through and make selections very difficult. We'll progress to that level soon enough.

So how's that for starters? Let me know what problems you encounter. I am still concerned that we don't have the exact Photoshop product and if so then there will be some issues with this first set of instructions.

Photo Editing Series for Geocachers

Lesson 2: Additive Selection

Objective: To replace a dull and boring background with a glorious sunset

Step 1. Open image-file "Elsinore Seven Original.jpg" for editing.

Step 2. Select the "Rectangular Marquee Tool." Now use the tool to draw a selection marquee from the top of the image down to a point just above Dave's hat and all the way from left to right. Note that you can start from a point outside the image area. If you are unhappy with the selection you have just drawn then choose "Edit/Undo Rectangular marquee" and redo the selection until satisfied.

Step 3. On the tool "Options" toolbar click the little "Add to Selection" button. Now you can add to the initial selection many times over and the selections will be combined into a single selection.

Step 4. Use the "Rectangular Marquee Tool" to draw several small rectangular marquees that extend the first marquee down into the large areas of sky and image above the seated subjects and above the railing. The intent is to remove most of the sky, the umbrella, and the mountains that appear above the railing. Leave the large pedestal where the railings connect.

Step 5. Select the "Magic Wand Tool." Carefully click the remaining unselected areas that are above the railing and between the railing. Select everything that shows above the railing and the related pedestal, and between the railing uprights. Note that the Magic Wand Tool doesn't always select a complete area, especially between the railing. Just keep clicking the areas you are after and they will be added to the whole selection. Toward the end the “Rectangular marquee” tool is handy for eliminating small orphaned areas that aren’t easily handled with the “Magic Wand Tool.” Notice that you are now dealing with the tedious stuff. For a good final result you must start nibbling at the small areas with the Magic Wand Tool the Rectangular Marquee Tool.

Step 6. Now that you have selected some areas that you didn't want to select you have a chance to use a few more tools. Note that there is a "Subtract from selection" button on the "Options" toolbar.

Also note the "Edit/Undo" and "Edit/Step Backward" selections on the Menu Bar. Further more note the "Tolerance" window on the "Options" toolbar. By varying the tolerance you can control the extent to which selections spread through dissimilar areas.

Patiently pick away by adding or subtracting selection areas until you achieve the objective.

NOTE: The objective is to select sky and land areas that lie above and between the railings, but not the railings, the pedestal, nor the people in the scene.

Step 7. Once you are satisfied with the overall selection then choose "Select/Inverse" from the Menu Bar to invert the selection area to the bottom portion of the image.

Step 8. As in Lesson 1, choose "Edit/Copy" to place the selection onto Windows scratch pad. Now close the first image and open "Glorious sunset.jpg."

Step 9. Select "Edit/Paste" and see that the selection is now pasted onto the Glorious Sky image. Once there choose the "Move Tool" from the tools toolbar and slide the selection into place and resize it for a good end result.

Step 10. You will see a new layer appear within the "Layer Tab" of the "Layers" window at lower right. Right-click within the blue area of the latest layer and select "Merge Down" from the selection window.

Step 11. Do a "File/Save As" from the Menu Bar.

Edited by SD Rowdies
My homework assignment with extras.

Steve,

O Lord, I love it. No doubt about it, you were sandbagging me about your photo editing skill.

That "other" blond might be on your case when she spots your prank. She looks lovely in colorful prints don't y' think?

While perusing this thread this morning I was ever-so happy with all of the posted photos. Imagine the trouble that we all can get into with our photo editors.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

That "other" blond might be on your case when she spots your prank. She looks lovely in colorful prints don't y' think?

I kinda like the "new"look....just don't mess with my hair B)

Reel 'er in boys, she took th' bait.

Now it's time for an online photo safari to bring back shots of Blonds Run Amock.

Truth is she does look lovely in summer prints. Don't forget now, no toucha d' hair.

Harmon

Hi Harmon,

This new thread has been real fun and it keeps on getting better as we get better.

I added another blondes-photo per the suggestion of Rocket Man! On this new one I had to use the Marquee Tool the whole time because the Magic Wand was very unruly. I wish to have a free-hand marquee tool so I can draw along the edge of stuff and add custom shaped pieces to the marquee. The square edges make it tedious to grab but I got it to work!

TrailGators

TrailGators,

First of all I sure hope that our victims finally figured out who the real “trouble-maker” is. I’m not going to reveal his name but his Geocaching handle is Rocket Man.

Anyway, ask and you shall receive. Truth is that the very selection tool you want is provided in Paint Shop Pro (PSP.) In my view the Paint Shop Pro selection tools are actually handier than the Photoshop selection tools for the type of selections that we have covered so far.

The photo below should orient you to the PSP Freehand Selection Tool. Also notice the selection-tool options "Smart Edge" and "Add." Set those two tool options and then you can trace around the edges of an image-area of interest quite easily. You'll see right away that the tool pulls out into a selection rectangle. Make sure that the selection rectangle encloses the edge of interest as you progress along short sections of the defining edge. The photo below will orient you with regard to the Freehand Selection Tool and the related two tool options.

7fb8b89c-92bd-4b3a-bc8f-8e0e856a85c8.jpg

If the edge is complicated then just make short selections rather than long ones. Be careful to enclose the edge of interest within the selection rectangle as you go along. Once you get back to the start of your selection then just double-click so that the tool will stop and the area will be entirely enclosed within a selection marquee. Choose "Selection/Edit Selection" from the menu bar and note that your selection is now covered with a red selection mask as shown in the following image.

d82557d1-4032-420f-8334-45421929be9e.jpg

In some places an edge may not be distinct enough for the tool, so the tool will do a best-guess job that you will have to clean up using the "Paintbrush Tool." If so then select the “Paint Brush”tool as shown in the next image.

fd13e10a-1fcb-46e6-8250-f8c25e355379.jpg

Before using the “Paint Brush” tool set the background and foreground color swatches so that one is pure white and the other pure black. Now use the Paintbrush tool outline to clean up and improve the red selection mask, noting that right-click and left click provide for either adding or subtracting mask depending on which way the background and foreground color was set.

Go for it!

Edited by SD Rowdies
I used to play with PhotoShop for a while, before I discovered geocaching.

Here are a couple of self-portraits as an agent from the Matrix and as that famous Jedi, QD-Wan Kenobi,

QDman,

Delighted to have you with us. Thanks for the edit jobs. Hope to see more from you.

So apparently you have been waiting in line all week and finally saw the new Star Wars flick.

Harmon