Best Cache Finds So Far?

:D What have been your best finds to date?

So far, we've just found small miscellaneous trinkets - mostly "kiddie toys".

( but then there was that one roach we came across in an awesome park in Fort Bragg, CA..... )

Was just wondering if anyone has found anything of real monetary value?

Really doesn't matter to me what I unveil, just discovering another new cache is reward in itself. After all, is it not the hunt and capture that we're all really going for? Or is it something more that we're in search of?

Good Morning Whisper,

What we find is mostly nostalgic~family time & experiences that'll last a lifetime for our children. AND once in a while, we'll find a trinket that'll be a part of our family forever. ie..Signature Items=personal items cachers make~one of a kind-handmade~search "Cache Glass"~someday I'll have one!

This past weekend our lil one (7)grabbed a guitar strap & pick from a cache; she was born with a yearning to play guitar! And ride horses~we've cached on bridle trails :D Telling ya, this is far better than Disney! She slept with the guitar pick under her pillow that night! Our oldest (10)doesnt cache for the trinkets, in fact, she hardly takes anything (except Where's George dollars-lol)! She'll identify bird calls & trees that take the shape of animals=taking in the entire hike. Because of her keen sence of nature, she'll spot a likely place for the cache & sometimes she is right! Which is funny to watch her find it when 1NatureDad cannot! lol

Needless to say, we have plenty to talk about over dinner & by the fire because the cache experience is a lil different for each of us; now they'll have oodles to tell their grandchildren too ;)

We celebrated our 100th find with a special dinner & cake!

Have fun & Happy Caching!

Took: memories

Left: footprints

Signed Log

P.S. Not to mention the kids have fun finding bugs & snakes! Getting dirty is 1/2 the fun!

Edited by 1NatureMom

WH, that is just wrong! If you didn't want her, what makes you think anyone else does? My EX just got remarried and I truly feel sorry for the guy because he is very nice.

Back on the subject, I think custom made stuff is the best. The kids think everything is a treasure. Think about the old adage, you buy a kid a $50 toy and it sits in the corner while they play with the box for days.

Signed Log

P.S. Not to mention the kids have fun finding bugs & snakes! Getting dirty is 1/2 the fun!

How Nice!!!

One of the best things I found was a $30 coupon for a local steak house. That and a lot of good memories with the family.

Good Morning Whisper,

What we find is mostly nostalgic~family time & experiences that'll last a lifetime for our children. AND once in a while, we'll find a trinket that'll be a part of our family forever. ie..Signature Items=personal items cachers make~one of a kind-handmade~search "Cache Glass"~someday I'll have one!

This past weekend our lil one (7)grabbed a guitar strap & pick from a cache; she was born with a yearning to play guitar! And ride horses~we've cached on bridle trails :santa: Telling ya, this is far better than Disney! She slept with the guitar pick under her pillow that night! Our oldest (10)doesnt cache for the trinkets, in fact, she hardly takes anything (except Where's George dollars-lol)! She'll identify bird calls & trees that take the shape of animals=taking in the entire hike. Because of her keen sence of nature, she'll spot a likely place for the cache & sometimes she is right! Which is funny to watch her find it when 1NatureDad cannot! lol

Needless to say, we have plenty to talk about over dinner & by the fire because the cache experience is a lil different for each of us; now they'll have oodles to tell their grandchildren too :antenna:

We celebrated our 100th find with a special dinner & cake!

Have fun & Happy Caching!

Signed Log

What a nice post. The memory-making should be what this is all about. May you and your family have many, many more years caching together!

Tundra Joe liked the FTF prize at the Arboreal Off the Bike Path cache and Jaidan was so happy with the STF prize at the Alaska Hold 'Em cache that they took a photo!

Our experience has been that the better the swag we start our caches with, the better the swag that shows up in other local caches. Of course, with only 60 or so caches within 100 miles, it's pretty easy to keep the cache content quality up.

But, bottom line up here in Alaska is that the best swag is the experience of getting to and from the cache, hence the Alaska geocoin motto: "Exploring Alaska One Cache At A Time." For a sampling of what I mean, read the logs and check out the photos for the following caches: Bluff Point, Chena Dome, Taiga Cascade, Mammoth Tusk, and Between A Rock and A Hard Place.

While agree with you all that the hunt, the experience, and the memories are the primary joy from this game, I think you missed the point of the question. I was hoping to read some fun, interesting stories of cool finds (a GPSr is cool....coins are cool). So come on....give us what you found!

Happy Huntin!

I found a small new swiss army knife in one of my caches. I decided it would be best to follow the guidelines and 'trade it out' -- wouldn't want to upset any land managers :blink:

I also found a nice glove compartment organizer thing for my first FTF.

I left a $2 bill in a cache once. They are really cool. If you ask for them at your bank you can probably get as many as you want, i know thats how it is at mine. Dollar coins and half dollars too i believe.

Duke, I assume 2 Washingtons... not a 2 dollar bill?

$2 bills do exist in the US. Here is a forum thread with a news article about a man who got arrested for paying with $2 bills (employees thought they were counterfeit).

I never knew that $2 bills weren't widely used in the USA. Here in Canada we have long gotten rid of $1 and $2 bills and replaced them with coins. After all coins last a lot longer than bills and they are easier to put in the drink machine too.

Here in Canada we have long gotten rid of $1 and $2 bills and replaced them with coins. After all coins last a lot longer than bills and they are easier to put in the drink machine too.

You know, I didn't think of leaving a couple of loonies and toonies behind, here in the states, that would be kinda kewl!!!!

I just came into some crisp 2 dollar bills two, more ideas.

I'm still looking for what will be kind of like my signature item....

Still sick of them darn McToys though, ARRRGGHHH :huh::huh::huh:

Jonathan

I've found lots of neat FTF prizes:

• $10 cash, from a multi that took me through a creek and a swamp.
  • One ounce silver round, .999 fine.
  • LED flashlight.

Not FTF but still cool:

• Gift card from bw3 (still un-redeemed, so I'm not sure if it is $5 or $20!), from a multi that took me to 4 or 5 parks, 2 of which I didn't know about, despite having lived in the same county all my life.

I'm sure that there were other neat things, but these stick out in my mind.

Edited by TimInOhio and Brittany

I just left tickets to a sold out NCAA Super Regional baseball game in a cache and posted in local groups and forums that they were there. I figure that is a nice prize if anyone reads the posts and goes to get them before the game (which is tomorrow), since it is a big deal here and tickets are hard to come by. Unfortunately I wasn't able to give much notice on it. I hope a cacher goes and gets them though. :P

Edited by carleenp

two dollar bills are nice for small caches that don't have room for bigger things like the flashlights i like to leave...they aren't worth anymore then two bucks and the kids like them...unless the cache is full of stuff like rocks or is badly damaged. what gets me is the people (adults) that take them or the gold dollar and leave a trail rock? at first i would leave a glider and a two dollar bill then it kinda slowed when i saw some of the junk people were putting in...but of all my gripes it would have to be the messed up cache containers (why leave something that is going to be destroyed or lost?)...i don't have many caches (finds no hides yet) to my credit but i have passed up 3 or 4 without even opening them just cuz they are full of water due to cracks etc...at first i logged them only to see numerous other folks logged the damaged containers as well...and the owners haven't had a chance to fix it no prob.. but after several weeks?...if i had more room on my bike i'd carry some with me but space is at a premium....sorry to get off on a side topic...

later

last12know

I am hugely pleased with my find from last weekend...

A string of cheapo red plastic beads with a dangly metalic lobster. He's so *CUTE!*

He's become my Caching Mascot.

I believe that it may have come from Red Lobster. I have left quiet a few of those in caches before. They make great trade items, especially since I love Red Lobster. You get them free after a meal.