Anybody Want To Buy In?

AnalogDog

I have access to a box truck with a lift gate, but I have to "borrow" it on a Saturday or Sunday... I am the only driver with permission to drive it, but technically it's only for work use... but this may be a worthwhile exception. I would be willing to pick up some (or all?) ammoboxes, but I must be reimbursed with gas money & ammo boxes, (maybe a cut of the profits?)

3852a.jpg

We would have to make this a quick trip, i.e. 2 destinations: 1. Pick up, and 2. Drop off.

If it's on pallets, it would make things alot easier too. I don't have a pallet jack, but I bet they have one there. We would need one to drop them off, but maybe uhaul rents them? If this sounds like a plan, let me know.

If not, I still am good for 10 ammoboxes.

Edited by DJ Calamari

Last time the 400 50 calibers completely filled a van and truck. These are 30's but there's 1100 of them. I'd guess 3 vehicles, 2 and a trailer, or a large van as shown above.

They do come on pallets and they have a fork lift. We de-palletized the 50's last year.

I would hold off ordering until someone wins the bidding. For a lot this size I would guess they could go for under a dollar each. I would not bid more than 1.25 each. It make no sense to bid early, so most bidding takes place the closing day.

To the bid price you have to add sales tax and a web site fee so someone will need to front about $1500.

Last year's haul

Edited by MarcusArelius

So, is someone going to take the lead on this and make a bid and handle the followup arrangements if we win? Analogdog? Or? Someone has to fill MarcusArelius' shoes if we're gonna make it happen. :D

I'll up my previous take to 20-25, as well, considering the projected price point. Alas, I have no vehicles to offer for transport, except for my personal take. But sounds like we have several folks who can put their hands on a few trucks. :P

Good grief! I never figured that you guys would take me seriously.

But seriously, where are we going to warehouse the puppies? We still have 4 days to ponder this, and meet a bid, if one is offered. I would bet if I took bids at $2 a can, that we could come up with like $500 that would probably win.

Maybe the WSGA would like to buy them and sell them statewide at a good price.

I only posted as mostly a joke. I just can't imagine 37 pallets of the cans, and 1700 just boggles my mind. Not that if I had my act together it would be something worthwile to buy and sell for a little profit...

Maybe BlacRaven is already got the screws turning for his GeoCaching Depot....

Rob

But seriously, where are we going to warehouse the puppies? We still have 4 days to ponder this, and meet a bid, if one is offered.  I would bet if I took bids at $2 a can, that we could come up with like $500 that would probably win.

ok I did a quick total. There are roughly a total of 575 boxes asked for. That is what people asked for and if they said up to I guessed a little less and if they gave a range I split it.

That is out of a total order of 1170 not 1700.

As far as extra orders I know at least one other person I talked to who will want some.

Also, my father and I have a nearly empty storage locker, It is really big, that we could temporarily house some of them in while people collect there orders.

And we could get them for a song and a dance if we could haul them someplace.

Maybe we could get Nudecacher involved. They might stop us with just the song. :antenna:

I don't know if I could affect the bid prices any, but I'll take 100 if they are less than $2 each. I have a pickup with a 6' bed and a canopy, so I could help carry maybe 400 if I calculate correctly. I could distribute a load to the Bellingham area.

Nudecacher

A few thoughts ---

The Puget Sound area surplus chain -- The Duffel Bag/Northern Sales/Jerry's Surplus sells the 50 cal. boxes retail for $5.99 and the 30 cal. boxes for $3.99. Obviously, when you purchase them retail you can buy one at a time, and you can cherry-pick through them to get a box in like-new condition.

A bid price of $2.00 as mentioned by AnalogDog will have added to it sales tax, internet fee, and some transportation costs to get them to a central location. On the Christmastime ammo can auction, I believe Marcus added 50 cents per can for these extras, and we paid $1.50 each total for the 50 calibre cans. This auction was also for a much smaller quantity (around 400 or so??). We each got a range of quality in this lot, too -- in my case about 10% were dented, had a bit of rust, etc. -- so they weren't all "perfect" like the ones from The Duffel Bag would be by purchasing them retail.

I for one would be reluctant to pay more than $1.25 each for the 30 cal. including the "extras" given the ease of buying them on an as-need basis for $4.00 in perfect condition with no hassles. The $2.00 to $2.50 range mentioned would put me out of the game.

Since these seem to come up fairly often for auction, and it's such a large quantity, I suggest we put in a lowball bid -- maybe 75 cents each -- and if we get them, great! If we don't, there's always going to be another auction soon and we try again.

I'm going to be out of town until late Sunday night (it's a 3-day weekend for us here :) ) so I won't be able to respond to emails until then. Good luck with whatever transpires!

I agree with half canadian.

The way that this will be a good deal after tax and extras is if we get them really cheap. I know that gas and incidental costs will also add up quickly. It would be very nice to get them but with all the auctions there is no need to go above maybe 1$ each to give us some wiggle room.

And we could get them for a song and a dance if we could haul them someplace.

Maybe we could get Nudecacher involved. They might stop us with just the song. :)

I don't know if I could affect the bid prices any, but I'll take 100 if they are less than $2 each. I have a pickup with a 6' bed and a canopy, so I could help carry maybe 400 if I calculate correctly. I could distribute a load to the Bellingham area.

Nudecacher

:) The thought is just begging for Homeland Security attention.

Add me to the list for at least 25. I've been using the last batch for around the house storage. It would be nice to have some smaller ones.

I could probably store 100 - 200 cans, maybe more. I have a shed in the backyard that I hardly use, in fact I've been in the house for seven years and still have not cleaned out the prior owners stuff from it.

Edit spelling.

Edited by jcar
:) The thought is just begging for Homeland Security attention.

Yeah it a good thing the border patrol didn't bother to look inside of Half-Canadian's camper last year :) .

BTW, I only had to store the cans for about a week last time before they were all gone. Events are a good thing.

So RWW does the WSGA have a grand to back-up a low-ball offer?