Etiquette when seeing other Geocachers?

houldsworth1

OK, I'm new so bear with me.

When out recently we saw what we believed was another bunch of people looking very 'geocachelike'. Basically wandering around with some sort of electroic gadget in the area where we had just checked for a cache. I was going to speak to them but they completely blanked me!

So...I was wondering if I were about to commit a faux pas. Is it normal to ignore other cachers just in case you give the game away or were they just miserable people?

Barry

I am reminded of an episode of the Simpsons. Homer & family just walked out of a movie theatre watching Star Wars. Homer says out loud to his family "I can't believe Darth Vader was Luke's father!". The line going into the theatre gets all mad for spoiling it... hehehe

However, I don't think it is impolite to say hi to anyone on the trail (geocaching or hiking). Not everyone seems to think so, but what can you do? Just be nice and be yourself. If 'they' want to take an attitude, brush 'em off and go about your business. Their loss.

---------------------

16x16_smiley-mad.gif Don't hurt me. I'm new here.

I ran into a cacher today. Say hi if you feel like it. I enjoy meeting others on the trail. It's their loss if they aren't friendly to you.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

quote:
Originally posted by houldsworth1:

Honestly I did. I was wandering along with my GPS V proudly jutting out from the handle of the stroller (sic)! icon_smile.gif

Ok this is a brief hijack, then everyone can return to their regularly scheduled forums. This isn't an attempt to take the thread off topic, or derail the thread...This is just something that has bothered me for a while, and I have to ask. I've see "(sic)" used from time to time (here and other forums, etc) and I've never been able to figure out what it means. Any help here? icon_cool.gif

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

I was wandering into Lackamas Park in Camas, WA, on Monday when two other Geocachers asked if I was on a hunt. If they hadn't asked, I never would have met Cache 'n' Carry and her friend. I think it is more than acceptable to ask if you are a Geocacher. If they say 'No', then they probably figure your talking about some obscure religion or something...

M.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. 0:

quote:

Honestly I did. I was wandering along with my GPS V proudly jutting out from the handle of the stroller (sic)! icon_smile.gif

Ok this is a brief hijack, then everyone can return to their regularly scheduled forums. This isn't an attempt to take the thread off topic, or derail the thread...This is just something that has bothered me for a while, and I have to ask. I've see "(sic)" used from time to time (here and other forums, etc) and I've never been able to figure out what it means. Any help here? icon_cool.gif

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

(sic) is usually used when a person quotes something from written text and they know the workd is misspelled. Some people also use it when they are not sure of the spelling of a word.

Back on topic. I usually ask people who are in an area of a cache if they are geocaching. If they have no idea what it is, I tell them about geocaching and offer to let them use my gps to find the near by cache. Several people have been very interested in it.

I bought a GPSr so the ladies would stop telling me to get lost. It didn't work icon_frown.gif.

If I run into someone who may be a geocacher I always just ask "Are you searching for something?". Most times - that's a good line (worst case, they say no and I explain the high tech treasure hunt thing to them).

It's always nice to be friendly, but I've heard other stories about people wanting to be left alone or pretending to be other folks so they weren't bothered. I think saying 'Hi' is always appropriate.

BTW (from Dictionary.com) SIC: Thus; so. Used to indicate that a quoted passage, especially one containing an error or unconventional spelling, has been retained in its original form or written intentionally.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

OK...since no-one seems to have answered the ‘sic’ question correctly I will oblige.

(sic) is used to make note that what was written is accurate (or a quote from another source) even if it seems to be wrong/odd. I used it in the example above to indicate that I really did have the GPS sticking out from the stroller since some people might have thought that was an odd place to have it.

For items where you are not sure of the spelling the normal thing to do is follow it with (sp) or (sp?), however (sic) can also be used to show that you had quoted something that had incorrect grammar or spelling but left it in there deliberately.

quote:

(sic) is used to make note that what was written is accurate (or a quote from another source) even if it seems to be wrong/odd.

...and it's Latin for "thus". (As in, "I really meant to spell this that incorrect way"). I do like the "Spelled InCorrectly" idea though...

I have run into a fellow geocacher only once (in about 90 finds.) I saw him get out of his car in the parking lot and consult some electronic gadget. When we met later down the path, and he and friend were wandering around the general location of the cache looking at the device in his hand, I said to him "I bet you're looking for the same thing I am".

He smiled and said "probably" and we both continued to look independently. When I found the cache he came over to inspect the contents. (It was at a river bank that frequently flooded and was not a pleasant area or cache.) We talked briefly about who we were and departed.

I would guess that is the normal interaction between cachers. I'd bet the people who "blanked you out" were doing something else...

My wife and I ran into some other geocachers at a site once. They were doing a pretty good job of trying to act like they were out for a walk with their dog. We were basically busted very near the cache site so just strolled out with our heads held high. icon_smile.gif Sometimes each party is TRYING to be discreet around civies and therefore may not be able to tell you are another geocacher. Be friendly where possible and don't worry about the rest. icon_smile.gif

Team P2

Variety is the spice of life...and I like it HOT!

Being a newby ourselves, our general rule is to assume someone is not a cacher unless it is obvious. I don't think I would assume a GPS attached to a stroller is just that unless I can tell by their behaviour. My question is this: if it seems someone else is a cacher and is waiting for us to go on by so they can get a cache should we go away or what?

"Modern rainsuits made of fabrics that 'breathe' enable campers to stay dry in a downpour. Rainsuits that sneeze, cough and belch, however, add absolutely nothing to the wilderness experience." --Everything you never wanted to know about camping by Bruce Cochran.

Don't forget the geocacher's secret handshake!! icon_smile.gif

Look up at the sky,

Look down at your GPS,

Shake your head back and forth,

Hold your GPS to the sky!

That's the international sign of a (frustrated)geocacher!! icon_smile.gif

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

quote:

OK...since no-one seems to have answered the ‘sic’ question correctly I will oblige.

Thanks for obliging - you should contact www.dictionary.com and let 'em know if they need to correct their definitions .... icon_wink.gif

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

quote:
Originally posted by HartClimbs:

quote:

Thanks for obliging - you should contact http://www.dictionary.com and let 'em know if they need to correct their definitions .... icon_wink.gif

No need. I checked on the Encarta dictionary and got the following:

"sic [ sik ]

adverb

thus or so: thus or so, used within brackets to indicate that what precedes it is written intentionally or is copied verbatim from the original, even if it appears to be a mistake"

Doesn't sound too far off to me. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. 0:

I've see "(sic)" used from time to time (here and other forums, etc) and I've never been able to figure out what it means

If you see other Geaocachers...

Act as if they aren't there, and if they try to make contact run like hell screaming in terror.

They are a very scarry lot.

Reminds me of Blind Umpire describing the Haunted Cache at the old delapidated mental institution building... a scarry night cache where he told me that he and a friend were tempted to hide in the bushes and scare the (fuvg) out of another group of cachers that were searching in the dark...

If you scan down the Dictionary.com page a little...

Sic adv.

Thus; so. Used to indicate that a quoted passage, especially one containing an error or unconventional spelling, has been retained in its original form or written intentionally.

I first found out about geocaching by asking a group of cachers if they were orienteering. They were very nice, and found the coordinates of a hiking trail landmark for me, writing the numbers down on the back of a cache page printout. I turned the page over, found the URL for geocaching.com, bought my husband a GPS receiver for Christmas, and here we are, 200+ caches later. Since I was at work, and part of my job is to visit with hikers, I didn't think twice about asking them what they were doing. I often visit with hikers at other places than where I work, even if it's just a friendly nod.

-Donna, one half of the Tribe of Two

Normally I keep my MeriPlat in my pocket so I'm not really obvious what I'm doing. During which; I've met cachers on the trail and usually they are trying to hide their GPS receivers and tip sheets from my sight when I'm off in a distance, even going so far as to keep a close watch on me as I meander through. Sometimes I'm following them with my dog on the leash and sometimes I'm meeting them head-to-head. IN either case, I have always greeted them and asked if they were geocaching. I then pull out my GPS and itroduce myself. IF I made a mistake (only once) I apologize for intruding their privacy and if they show an interest in what I asked them, explain to them what geocaching is.

Cheers!

TL

I've run into several cachers lately. One, I was looking for a cache, he came up and was looking for the first part of a multi that happened to be in the same area. We talked for a bit and from that point on I seem to run into him all over the place!!! (I hope he isn't stalking me)

Usually I say hi. Its usually worth it to say hi. Most cachers seem to know the tell tale signs of another cacher in the area. I've always enjoyed the caching conversations I've had.

Unfortunately I think you just got a bad bunch of cachers, or they were looking for a place to smoke and drink beer tongue.gif

"Sometimes you are a very large fool Perrin Aybara. Quite often in fact." Annoura Sedai (Book Nine of The WoT)

I always give a quick hello to people I've met on the trail. If it looks like they may be fellow cachers (and don't know the secret hand-sign), I'll make a an obtuse statement that only a cacher would recognize and see how it pans out.

One time we were on the way out of a multi and met another team on the way in. They tried to palm the micro container with the coordinates and I simply said not to worry about us, we already have the corrdinates. From there we struck up a conversation and even compared accuracy of our GPSs.

Another time I found a pair of newbies just staring at the area of a cache's hiding place. I said Hi and asked if they were looking for XXXX (insert cache name here). When they said yes they knew I had made them and we had a rather pleasant conversation.

Several times I made the obtuse statement to non-cachers and ended up starting up a conversation about caching.

So it always pays to say hi - if they don't want to respond, it's their loss.

-PD

If we see anyone that remotely looks like a geocacher we introduce ourselves and ask if they are indeed caching. We tend to meet other cachers a lot more often than average and I think it is because we try to. We have yet to meet someone that wasn't friendly and have gotten the opportunity several times to tell people about geocaching.

--------------------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends cache locationless!

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

Michigan Geocaching Organization

quote:
If I run into someone who may be a geocacher I always just ask "Are you searching for something?". Most times - that's a good line

That might not be a good idea in certain NJ parks icon_wink.gif.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

I guess I've been doing it all wrong.

When I see another cacher on the trail I scream and dive into a bush and refuse to come out until they leave.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

Crap I knew I was doing something wrong......

Actually I try to acknowledge everyone I meet on the trail, most people just say hi back and keep on going.

I have only met other geocachers at meetings.

Rusty

RW Da Man!!!

CHS#1

Well... it wasn't a geocacher (as far as I know) but it was a pretty funny story.

I placed a ultra micro (2x1/2" waterproof capsule) in the stairwell of our local municipal garage downtown last week. The first day it came up as "approved", I recieved an email from a cacher asking for additional hints. He had apparently been loitering about the stairwell when one of our trusty "men in blue" came up to ask if he needed some help (i.e. "beat it kid"). Apparently, the garage is also the parking garage for the city's police cruisers (I guess my cache will be safe enough). The cacher (who will remain anonymous) was very upfront about his activities, and the officer asked, "how large is it?" The cacher gave the dimensions and the officer laughed while replying, "Good luck", and walked off.

So it would appear that muggles are pretty friendly towards cachers too; or maybe just tolerant icon_wink.gif

I have moved around a bit in my life. It is second nature for me to nod and say hello whenever I pass someone (hiking / caching / sidewalking) I moved to Cincinnati several years ago and like a fool walked around all day saying hi to strangers. People here are a little reserved and more than a few acted as though I was bleeding from several orafaces and wielding a hatchet. Body language tells it all. I don't consider it rudeness for someone to ignore a hello, I just assume they are more culturally guarded. For some reason some people treat a friendly hello as though a rock was thrown at them. All that being said, I say HI anyway. icon_wink.gif

You know, I've been at this for about a month, logged 40 or so caches, and I've yet to meet another cacher. I'm still catching up on nearby caches in this very densely populated area (edge of Silicon Valley, of course), so most of our finds are not newer caches. I notice most of the activity occurs when a cache is fresh, so maybe that's part of it.

As far as saying "hi" I say hello or nod to everyone I meet on the trail, and the folks in the city who make eye contact. Apparently, it is my habit to smile goonily nearly all the time, because I often get a nod or smile first. Believe me, it's NOT because I'm handsome. As a large (6-4), powerfully built man, I'll acknowledge that occasionally an unaccompanied woman appears a bit undone when I make note of her existence. But sheesh! It's how I was raised, and I'm not good at reading others' paranoia.

Interesting sociological note: some of you have mentioned that most folks say "hi." Out here on the Left Coast, my on-the-trail ratio is about 50-50. I'm not talking about urban encounters, but just me, or me and my family, encountering one or more walkers on the trail. I'll nod and say "hello" or "beautiful day, isn't it?" and if it's a family, often one parent will mutter "hi", but sometimes, nobody says anything!

I swear, I'm not draped in goat entrails or anything. Anybody else outside of California experiencing this? Does it seem to be growing more common? I'm aware of the general decay in common manners -- young people bumping into you in Target, then staring at you mutely for a minute type of stuff. But I always felt that the people who enjoy the outdoors were kind of an extended family.

It's gotten so that I fantasize about grabbing one of the mute hikers by the shoulders, giving them a little shake and saying "I'm trying to be friendly, you tongue-tied moron! I'm not a threat to your safety, but you're beginning to tempt me!"

But that probably wouldn't be very productive, would it?

It's around here somewhere...

Oh my goodness! You guys had me ROFL I guess from now on I need to wear my swimsuit, protective eye goggles and dived into the nearest bushes if i run into anyone that resembles you guys!

I've only found about 30 or so near my area <TN> All the people I've met was really nice <3 different sets of people>.

Val