Etrex Bike Mount

So I'm not as concerned about "ugly", but I just bought a new bike and am contemplating my first GPSr. I'm pretty much settled on the eTrex line and only waffling on how much to spend (Legend vs. Vista). Anyway, I was thinking about combing the two sports and wondered if anyone had tried out the bike mount. Let me know your thoughts, suggestions and recommendations. Thanks!

i don't have the bike mount but i do have the garmin mount for my jeep i love it. as for which unit to buy buy the best one you can afford. I started with a legend it worked fine. But i decided i wanted a better one. I jsut ordered the vista c from rei. i can't wait to get it. I you can afford the better GPS i would get it. but if you are on a tight string get the legend it is a great unit :D i said unit :D

Here's what I wrote on June 15, 2001 on Amazon.com about the eTrex bicycle mount:

"I was mostly impressed by the quality of this product. It seems to be made of a good, durable plastic. The eTrex snaps in with a solid "click." The quality of the "replacement" battery cover could be better, however. On that note, the eTrex doesn't lose any of it's water-resistance with this battery cover, as it's the yellow rubber case of the unit that is water-resistant, not the battery compartment. I like having the GPS on my bike, it would replace my cyclecomputer if it didn't go through batteries so quickly and was a little smaller. My two complaints with this product are the fact that you have two battery covers of different quality to keep track of; and when mounted on my bike and trying to push the buttons on either side of the unit, there is a very slight amount of movement caused by a swiveling motion between the battery cover and the GPS."

You can check out more reviews here.

Jamie

another bike mount to look at are the Ram-mount line of handlebar mounts. The Garmin handlebar mount for my 60C has been out of stock for a little while. I bought the Ram-mount mount for my bike and it's great. I've actually switched it to my motorcycle and will pick up a spare u-clamp mount for the bike. Solid construction.

I've been using it for a couple years now with no complaints at all. As for the battery cover that comes with it, I keep that on my unit all the time. Its not that big of a difference and still fits just fine inside the neoprene carry case when its not on the bike. I've never noticed anything loose nor have I used a lanyard, it clicks into place and will not fall out.

I like my foretrex 201 with bike mount for bicycling. The fields are customizable and can be made larger for better viewing while your riding. I prefer the horizontal screen and low profile on my handlebars. The rechargeable battery takes the bite out of using it all the time as a cycling computer.

I have the Garmin case on my Legend and clip it to my shorts when riding.

I guess if you were using it to cache while riding it would be nice to be able to glance down and see the GPS screen to determine if you are near a cache.

If you use a bike mount can you still leave the Garmin case on the Legend or does it need to be removed?

Here's what I wrote on June 15, 2001 on Amazon.com about the eTrex bicycle mount:

[review removed]

Jamie

Thanks. I saw your review and others on the amazon site, but I felt the opinion of geocachers would be more reliable and more for the purpose I ultimately intend. That's why I decided to ask, here. It seemed most criticism came from the battery cover and "O" ring. I do need to verify my handlebar size, too, before purchasing.

As for selection, it obviously comes down to what I'm willing to spend right now. I just need to be comfortable with the extra $80 commitment to the Vista. Also, the Foretrex is a good recommendation, but I like the mapping capability of the Legend or Vista. The Foretrex lacks this, correct?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Kenny

On the note of the bike mount for the etrex/gpsmap stuff.

I just bought a new road bike that has wider handle bar grips than my previous and the bike mount no longer fits. I immediately grep'd the web for all the good mounts and am not too keen on the size/weight of the ram mounts. I decided to stick with the etrex mount and ran a zip tie through the holes on top and bottom where the screw normally goes. Works like a charm, though looks a little funky when the GPSr isn't on it. But I'm also not keen on going back to finicky bike computers for long rides. I'll stick to the GPSr and all of its abilities (using both the vista and GPSMAP 60cs)

VW

The Ram mounts are very nice. Personally, i just throw my GPS into the mesh on my CamelBack - works out fine for me. Though if i want to see where i am, it does involve fishing it out. And for me, i think a gps hanging around my handlebars would probably get in my way!!

And now for the shameless plug: If you are a mountain biker and happen to map any trails - consider checking out my site (biking and gps data collecting/mapping): www.crankfire.com :rolleyes: