Garmin 12 Accuracy

You won't see an improvement in accuracy in a newer unit. Your GPS12 doesn't have WAAS like most of the newer units but it's debatable if it's of much use to the average geocacher where topography and vegetation easily block the signals from the geostationary WAAS satellites.

My first GPS was a Garmin GPS12. The reasons I upgraded was for more memory for waypoints and tracks, fewer batteries (2 instead of 4), altitude included with waypoints and tracklogs, and mapping. That said, the 12 is still a good unit and is still being sold today.

If accuracy is your only reason for upgrading, then no its not worth it.

Now if the features that PDOPs mentions, like mapping, memory, better battery life and other factors like smaller size, better screens, lighter weight and USB connections are attractive to you then perhaps an upgrade is in order.

I have a Garmin 12 and a Map 76. As far as accuracy goes you won't see a notable difference other than when you have a good WAAS lock with the newer units. Even than, not that much. Newer units have other desirable things such as maps, but hey, the 12 is still a good unit and probably tougher than anything out there.

I have a 12 and was out using it at an event. When the thing was saying I was 100 feet off and there was little foliage or cover, I knew I needed a better one.

One of my friends had bought the uber version of the GPS60 and I started researching it. The 60 is a huge improvement features wise. There were several reasons why I bought a 60 (basic unit sells for $159 from GPS4fun.com). Features were the main reasons. USB download, it supports the actual Cache names and not the GC whatever cryptic ones. (Some people prefer them, I dont. Doesn't require me to print out the cache so I know what I'm going after.) There is a Geocache "mode", it uses less batteries, and it's just a nicer unit over all. The price is just a few dollars more than a 12.