Dollar Store Items Suitable For Caches?

Okay, so, I plan to do a few caches this weekend (found my first last weekend), and while I was at the Dollar Store today I saw some items I though might be nice for caches. My question is, do you think those items are suitable? One item I thought might be nice is a personal mini-fan (I would tape batteries to it, since it needs them). Would people think of this stuff as cheap, just because it came from the Dollar Store? Thanks for any opinions. :D

-Elizabeth

I never leave anything I would not want myself. For instance today I noticed that my "stash" was getting low. So I went to walmart and bought about 50.00 worth of trading items. I buy mutli packs of things or clearance items.

For example, today I bought:

(for my kids to trade)-

erasers that are cool looking- come in two pack for .50

travel easel boards- got on clearance for .50

glow sticks- .25 each

hot wheels....etc

(For me to trade)-

miniture sharpies-3.00 for four pack

keychain flashlights- 2 for 1.00

batteries

click it holders

insect repellant- travel size

sunscreen-travel size.....etc

Just to give ideas, my bag in now so full of stuff I may have to take out some. Just because things are cheap does not mean they are junk.

Picked up some "Electronic Stuff" over the weekend at the local 99cent store. Spy Sound Amplifiers.

They're about the same size as the Small altoids tins (Not the breathstrips) came with headphones and an extra battery. They actually work really well, amplifying everything. Might actually be kind of useful for hearing mountain lions sneaking up on you. You can see a picture Here And no it's not my auction.

You can pretty much tell what's junk and what's not, and since everything is 99cents or lower, you might as well pick out something nice.

Ohgr

Picked up some "Electronic Stuff" over the weekend at the local 99cent store. Spy Sound Amplifiers.

Yeah, those things are cool. I got one a few years ago and had a fun time playing around with it. 2+ hours of entertainment for $1, pretty good deal.

To answer the original question -- I get nearly all my trade items from dollar stores, thrift stores, and clearance racks. If you have a good eye and good taste, you can do this and leave a cache feeling much richer for it. Plus all the fun you have shopping. ;)

Luna

I find a lot of things for kids at the dollar store. A buck for something to keep them entertained for a while is worth it. My local dollar tree has recently gotten in some Spider Man beach balls which I loaded up on and have left at caches near the lake. I also picked up some mini-frisbees with Disney characters on them. I'm loaded down with various dog toys too since many cachers go out with their furry friends.

www.Dollartree.com

One of the best CHAIN dollar stores around. If you visit one for the first time, don't judge the actual items value if the store is over crowded. I walked into one Dollar Tree once, it was so crowded that If that was my first impression, I would never have entered another Dollar Tree.

But seriously. Dollar trees have a LOT of good stuff. Toys that seem to be in every location;

100 marble pack,

2 Decks of cards,

50+ green (or other color) army men

-----------------------

Batteries

Bibles, other Books (I got Hulk Hogan's Autobiography, and and Orson Scott Card book at a dollar tree)

DVDs (Ok, so its old stuff, and stock footage. But hey, not every one knows about Eeegah yet. :o)

-----------------------

Just go to one already!!!

I find a lot of things for kids at the dollar store. A buck for something to keep them entertained for a while is worth it. My local dollar tree has recently gotten in some Spider Man beach balls which I loaded up on and have left at caches near the lake. I also picked up some mini-frisbees with Disney characters on them. I'm loaded down with various dog toys too since many cachers go out with their furry friends.

Looks like I don't have to convert cudlecub. :o

Utah is the world capital of cheap people. Folks here won't take something for nothing unless they also get a cash rebate!

So our caches tend to go downhill FAST! Anything good just disappears (often without a "I took the watch and left a rock from the trail" comment, either).

Still, some of us try to uphold the standards of "trade up" by buying dollar store stuff. The item list from my last visit included tape measures, pliers, sharpening sticks, compasses, magnifying lenses, small clamps, carabiners, a bedside note pad with light, LED keychain lights, and even a 35mm camera. All for a buck each.

With swag like that, plus decent stuff I actually find in caches, I can go a long time and still manage to trade up every time...at minimal cost.

Edited by RockyRaab

B) The $1 is a good place to start. I've picked up small plastic frogs(geofrogs), knomes, plastic reptiles and dinosaurs, and of course logbooks. You can also get great small micro containers as well at the 1$ store. But the place to make some steals, is at St Vincent DePauls or the GoodWill. Have found some worthy cache items there for not a lot of money.

Here is just a hint of what I have found. Racket Ball rackets for $2. Exellant for dog friendly cache. Our dog misty is a pest when it comes to playing fetch. But if you can tire her out, then she is a happy camper. A racketball racket consistantly puts a tennis ball 200 feet out, with each and every wack.

Other cool items -- Signature Golf Balls, baseballs, ceramic nicknacks, and lots of mctoys for the ole trash cache.

Anyway, that is just a few ideas. If you don't want to spend a lot on a cache, don't. Make a micro, or if you place a regular container, make it a hard one to find, but make the contents rewarding to the cacher even though it's not about the contents.

Dollar stores are a cachers best friend! ;)

I just picked up some "Shark Tails" 100 piece jigsaw puzzles the other day from Dollar Tree. The kids will probably snatch them right up. The 500 piece "scenery" puzzles are popular with adults also. I usually put them in my 50 cal. cans where ther is more room.

DVD's, tools, playing cards, kids card games, & flashlights are very popular trade items around here.

Oriental Trading Company is another good source for trade items at reasonable prices.

I wonder if the dollar store employees are aware of geocaching and how much business it brings in??

www.Dollartree.com

One of the best CHAIN dollar stores around. If you visit one for the first time, don't judge the actual items value if the store is over crowded. I walked into one Dollar Tree once, it was so crowded that If that was my first impression, I would never have entered another Dollar Tree.

But seriously. Dollar trees have a LOT of good stuff. Toys that seem to be in every location;

100 marble pack,

2 Decks of cards,

50+ green (or other color) army men

-----------------------

Batteries

Bibles, other Books (I got Hulk Hogan's Autobiography, and and Orson Scott Card book at a dollar tree)

DVDs (Ok, so its old stuff, and stock footage. But hey, not every one knows about Eeegah yet. :P)

-----------------------

Just go to one already!!!

I got a good 3 Stooges DVD once.

Dollar store stuff is great for caches, as are McToys though I know there are many cachers who despise them. I am 40yo and have no kids, and a Happy Meal is the only way to a get a regular hamburger, small fries and small drink cheaply so why waste the toy by tossing it.

Also, use stuff you have found in other caches for your new cache.

Keep up the good work!

I was in DollarTree the other day and found carrying cases for GameBoys there. I picked one up thinking it would be great for holding my GPS, a pencil and my new Palm. It all fits perfectly and I'll have a safe place to keep the Palm while we are out trying to find a cache. It's the same as this one: Ebay Auction for same Case

I am going to remove the GBA logo off the front and make a new Geocaching one for it. I bought two of these in hopes that they would work out well. I can't decide if I should keep the 2nd one or offer it in our first cache that we are planning on placing. Hmmmmmm It too would have the Geocaching logo on the front.

I found cards of Micro Machines (5 cars per card) there the same day. They work GREAT for micro caches. I need to go back and get some more before they are all gone. There are some great deals to be had at the dollar stores if you just look.

Thanks for your replies. I'm glad to hear that quality items would be acceptable..heck, I found stuff there that I would want to KEEP, instead of putting into a cache..but I've already promised myself, if I buy it for a cache, it goes into a cache!

"Okay, maybe just ONE thing. But next time...EVERYTHING goes in to caches...Oooh. That's neat. Fine, TWO things...." :P

Stuff I bought at the "99 Cents only" store today, for caching (in So. Calif.):

25' Steel tape measure, 1" wide.

10 pack of Scripto stick ball point pens.

Nylon Camera cases with shoulder strap (will fit a Meridian)

Scientific Calculators (sin, cos, tan, logs, etc.)

9" x 7" heavy duty nylon zippered bags, with a clip.

Matchbox cars (Corvettes)

4-packs of AA alks, 4 packs of AAA alks (all fresh)

Stuff I have found in the past:

Master locks (key and combo)

Surge Protectors (single outlet)

Smoke detectors

Carbon Mono detectors

USB cig lighter power adaptors.

Nylon holders (use for GPSrs) with belt loops.

LED lights

Leather PDA holders

PDA screen protector packs.

and more....

I like CVS personally. You can get all in one place a good mix of stuff for all ages, decent little toys and funky pencils and erasers for the little ones, and nicer products for the adults (tools, stationery items, wristwatches, decks of cards, specialty items.) But it is definitely not as inexpensive as the dollar store.

I get most of my trade goods at the dollar store (some at yard sales, too). I prefer the tools, kitchen gadgets, small notebooks, office gadgets, drug store items (gotta be careful, and always a safety-sealed container), and hardware.

The dollar section at Target is good, too.

RE: CVS -- Here's what I picked up at CVS last night for my trade bag:

Silly Putty

Preferred Pets Plush Dogs (x3)

3-Pack Sharpies (Red/Blue/Black)

12-pack of rainbow colored hair scrunchies

Pair of faux-jeweled barettes

Decks of Playing Cars (x3, Bicycle, American, CocaCola)

5-pack of Bicycle dice (x2)

Red White and Blue 'Stars n Stripes' pencils (x4)

4-pack fluorescent colored post-its

Original (i.e. METAL) Slinky (x2)

Combination Padlock

2-pack "Nobbly Wobbly" Pet Toys