Cache Approvers

mrking

So does this mean we only have 2 for all of Canada?

:o

Ummm no, a bit more than that.

The answer is that Canada, like everywhere else, has enough volunteers to handle the average workload while still providing timely responses. I checked the pace of new cache hides across your great country in recent weeks. The volume handled by the Canadian reviewers is about 75% of the workload of the California reviewers, about the same as the pace in my own area of the U.S., and a *lot* lower than the cache-per-reviewer workload in at least one U.S. State.

Your reviewers do a great job and it is a pleasure to work with them. I help them with their questions and they help me with mine.

Cache Approver......

Sounds like those US Election commercials....

"blah blah blah, My name is The Blue Quasar and I approved this cache!"

Maybe I'll start signing logbooks that way.

And if the cache is not a quality cache in my eyes....

Who am I kidding???? I love every cache, beats working!

:antenna: The Blue Quasar

Cache Approver

But I don't approve caches, I'd make a terrible approver.

So I say, let's let Cache-Tech, Cache-Agent, Cache-Advance, Cache-in-my-Pocket, Cache-for-the-Merchadise, Cache-Is-All-You-Need and any other people that actually do the REAL work around here have all the glory!

Three cheers for the Approvers! HIP-HIP-HURRAY!

Now, back to pushing the envelope and annoying the real approvers!

So does this mean we only have 2 for all of Canada?

:antenna:

The answer is that Canada, like everywhere else, has enough volunteers to handle the average workload while still providing timely responses. I checked the pace of new cache hides across your great country in recent weeks. The volume handled by the Canadian reviewers is about 75% of the workload of the California reviewers, about the same as the pace in my own area of the U.S., and a *lot* lower than the cache-per-reviewer workload in at least one U.S. State.

Your reviewers do a great job and it is a pleasure to work with them. I help them with their questions and they help me with mine.

Even though the main reviewer for my area is mtn-man and he's from Georgia ... I'd like to say that all my dealings with him have been excellent and professional. He's done a whizbang job as a reviewer even if he's not entirely familiar with our area of the country. And he's always answered all my queries in a timely manner.

I'm sure all of British Columbia thanks him for his efforts.

Edited by dogbreathcanada

All my caches have been aproved by Mtn_man. He was pleasant in all his e-mails, and in general it has been good. I did have a problem with one Cache that he archived before it was even approved. I e-mailed him three times over the course of a week to ask a question and he never responded. I had to redo the cache and submit it again before he contacted me.

The answer is that Canada, like everywhere else, has enough volunteers to handle the average workload while still providing timely responses.  I checked the pace of new cache hides across your great country in recent weeks.  The volume handled by the Canadian reviewers is about 75% of the workload of the California reviewers, about the same as the pace in my own area of the U.S., and a *lot* lower than the cache-per-reviewer workload in at least one U.S. State.

In response, and I'm not trying to instigate anything, I don't think that the issue is whether we have enough approvers to do the job, but that we have enough approvers that are familiar with the region, Canadian jurisdiction, and that are close enough to do the job should caches be placed in areas that might appear to be questionable (whether they are or not). A case in point, virtuals that might meet the guidelines handily in Canada, might not in the United States due to cultural or historical differences. Another case might be judging whether a cache is placed according to guidelines and making your assessment on whether the cache is meeting those guidelines based on only a knowledge of the maps of the area. Maps may be out of date, as they have been for some caches not being approved up here. If you're not close enough to investigate a cache within a region or at the least are not familiar with the area to make an adequate assessment of whether a placed cache meets the guidelines, perhaps more approvers should be doing the job from the area.

Your reviewers do a great job and it is a pleasure to work with them.  I help them with their questions and they help me with mine.

Glad to hear that. It's a job that requires time, patience, and the ability to view the cache and the cacher who placed it objectively.

I think that the current set of Approvers do an AWESOME job especially given the scope and magnitude of the work. They are timely and accurate. They have also been around long enough to know what works and what doesn't, and if they need local knowledge they know all the right local people to ask. There are also enough cachers out there that if something gets by them for any reason, I'm sure that they hear about it.

Great job guys (and gal)!

Fizbot

Cache Agent is the main reviewer in my local area, and she is the best!!! She not only approves our caches, or works with us to get them approved, but she is also active in our local forum, and provides great advice there.

She makes herself very available to the local community. We never wait long for a response.

Cache Tech sometimes looks at our caches, and, less often, mtn-man.

Kudos to all of these volunteers! Thanks for enabling our obsession :rolleyes:

Arrr, mateys! Jest thinkin' o' givin' our 'trepid Norv'rn happrov'r, cache-tech, a 21 gun salute fer swabbin' the decks 'n' keepin' the powd'r dry 'n' sech, when this thread catches me glarss eye! Perf'c' hopp'rtun'ty ta foires hoff the crew's sincere fanks fer a jab well dun! Good on them 'prov'r-toypes, I sez--sumbuddy bouys 'em a round, will 'e? Tell the 'keep the Wench sez ye kin putt'r on the Cap'n's tab! :rolleyes:

Cheers ta hev'rybuddy we've 'ad the pleasure ta cross swords wiv, an' ye's we've yet ta board! [insert blarck heye emoticon 'ere!] tW, fer No Beard & the Pi Rats

I don't think that the issue is whether we have enough approvers to do the job, but that we have enough approvers that are familiar with the region, Canadian jurisdiction, and that are close enough to do the job should caches be placed in areas that might appear to be questionable (whether they are or not).

I do not see how it really makes any difference. The only way such an idea would work as described would be to have an approver in every county in every province. It is no more likely that an approver in Ontario could be familiar with Nova Scotia territory than an approver in Maine. Who to say an approver in Toronto has ever been to or is familiar with Thunder Bay even. The approvers have rules they must follow to allow a cache to be approved. Only the local communities can report back to an approver if such an cache is not appropriate for an area. Should it be unacceptable the approver can then take appropriate action.

The rules already in place prevent MOST caches that are unacceptable from being approved. The rest is up to us to report what we find to be wrong with a cache.

In any case the approvers we have are doing a bang up job no matter where they are from. I recently read a cache in N.B. that was approved by an approver from Europe. I see no problem with that what so ever.

When the number of caches in Canada dictates that we need more approvers I am sure we will get more. In the mean time my hat is off to all of them. Foreign and domestic.

Bravo Zulu

Edited by CasheKicker

why we don't have a 100% bilingual (english-french) reviewer in Canada? :D

Our country is bilingual by a law of 1969! :D

99% of the geocachers of Quebec speak French.

we are at the 4th rank of the 10 provinces of Canada with more than 1400 geocaches in Qc :laughing:

We are very active!

On the 300 or 350 active members in Quebec several are premium member and should have right a bilingual service.

I believe that Groundspeak should offer a rewiewer which speaks 100% French( not the googlois!) and which knows Quebec well!

This would avoid much problem of communication between the reviewer and the geocacher of Quebec!

Edited by BeerMan-Qc
This would avoid much problem of communication between the reviewer and the geocacher of Quebec!

Mon ami, je suis Coupar Angus, c'est un pioneer de la 'caching dans Canada. Moi francais par excellence! Okay, my French is at about a grade 7 level I admit. Although I do like poutine, soda epinette and Mae Wests. B) I'm surprised there isn't a francophone reviewer for Quebec. You have my vote of support. I would hate to think we are precluding any one group from participating in this great hobby.

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

I send my comment to GC...

I'm surprised there isn't a francophone reviewer for Quebec

me too B)

there is only one french reviewer for GC, he is a Belgian and work for France and Belgium Zone.

our reviewer does a super good job in English, but 95% of the Quebec geocaches is write in french.... :grin:

that must be long to translate so that he understand all caches...

YES! At least for the province of Quebec, we MUST have a French speaking approver who knows and understand our distinct society.

Until now, my caches were approved without any questions, even if they are written only in French. But my last hide was a more tricky cache and I was glad that our Canadian approvers were in vacations. Because of that, the approver of Belgium and France, who speaks French, approved my cache without any questions. I'm pretty sure that, if an English speaking approver had to review my cache, I would have to answer to many questions.

In the Quebec province, in the past 6 months only, we tripled our number of caches. And we have the goal to double the current number by September 2006. I think that now is a good time to have a French speaking approver.

Have a great geocaching day!

Landbehrt

Edited by Landbehrt

Good Day,

I agree 110% with that. We do need a perfectly bilingual reviewer. Not a reviewer that use an internet link for traduction to communicate with the french community. Somethime, it's very frustrating, it's easier for me because I am able to communicate in english. It's not the case for all the geocachers in our province, Québec.

Ciao!

Mart

why we don't have a 100% bilingual (english-french) reviewer  in Canada?  :o

I concur, I never had a problem personally but my caches have been bilingual since things have picked up in Quebec.

I can imagine the frustrations of a french only speaking member who receives a rebuttal or challenge from the reviewer translated by google or babble (Has anybody ever tried to read an english text using that thing), it can cause headaches and misunderstandings that can hinder (see even invalidate) the approval of caches that are quite effortless in the end. B)

So my vote as PREMIUM MEMBER ( for whatever that's worth :grin: ) goes for the availability of a fully bilingual reviewer for Quebec, or Canada for that matter, who knows, maybe there are a few french speaking Canadians in the rest of Canada that have not placed caches from lack of understanding the English language, wouldn't that be a shame?

The more the merrier I say. B)

Hopping to see ya all on the trails...

Edited by AV Dezign

why we don't have a 100% bilingual (english-french) reviewer  in Canada?  :o

I concur, I never had a problem personally but my caches have been bilingual since things have picked up in Quebec.

I can imagine the frustrations of a french only speaking member who receives a rebuttal or challenge from the reviewer translated by google or babble (Has anybody ever tried to read an english text using that thing), it can cause headaches and misunderstandings that can hinder (see even invalidate) the approval of caches that are quite effortless in the end. B)

So my vote as PREMIUM MEMBER ( for whatever that's worth :grin: ) goes for the availability of a fully bilingual reviewer for Quebec, or Canada for that matter, who knows, maybe there are a few french speaking Canadians in the rest of Canada that have not placed caches from lack of understanding the English language, wouldn't that be a shame?

The more the merrier I say. :o

Hopping to see ya all on the trails...

Now here is the same text, written in French and translated back into English using Google, see if you can spot the mistakes that can cause problems. :-)

--- :o ---

I of agreement, personally I never had problems, but, my masks in Quebec are always bilingual since thing go well here.

I to imagine frustrations very well little that a French québécois to have little by receiving a message transcribed by Google or Babble (have you already to try to read English texts using this thing) its little to cause headaches and errors which can slow down (see even stopping) the approval of a hiding place which is probably very simple A the end.

Then my vote as MEMBER PREMIUM (for what his is worth) goes has the availability of a bilingual approuvor for Quebec, or Canada, which knows, little-to even be that certain French Canadian in the remainder of Canada does not place masks because it does not understand enough the English language, its would not be ashamed?

Month I says, more have is best it is

One hoping to see you on the path...

--- B) ---

Edited by AV Dezign

--- ph34r.gif ---

I of agreement, personally I never had problems, but, my masks in Quebec are always bilingual since thing go well here.

I to imagine frustrations very well little that a French québécois to have little by receiving a message transcribed by Google or Babble (have you already to try to read English texts using this thing) its little to cause headaches and errors which can slow down (see even stopping) the approval of a hiding place which is probably very simple A the end.

Then my vote as MEMBER PREMIUM (for what his is worth) goes has the availability of a bilingual approuvor for Quebec, or Canada, which knows, little-to even be that certain French Canadian in the remainder of Canada does not place masks because it does not understand enough the English language, its would not be ashamed?

Month I says, more have is best it is

One hoping to see you on the path...

--- ph34r.gif ---

This post has been edited by AV Dezign on Sep 11 2005, 04:20 AM

B) No needs Google for translate french to english like this,just telling me to write text in english :grin:

Only fot this reason,i think we need a bilingual reviewer :o i,m not the only one in this case B)

Imagine the job for the unilingal reviewer :o

Ok, I have watched this thread enough, Cache Agent is bilingual and helps me out. Yes, I use babelfish and am trying to learn the language. Canada might have 2 official languages, but Quebec does not consider itself bilingual, it is French, only New Brunswick is officially bilingual. You go anywhere in Quebec and everything is French, not bilingual. I don't force the cache pages to contain English, some reviewer do for vacationing tourists, I try to communicate in French and get help from Cache Agent when needed. For what it is worth, I am currently speaking with another cacher to become the Quebec reviewer as the work load has become to large for me, but keep in mind that Quebec has only become more active this year placing over 1000 since January, up to that point there was less then 500 here since 2000 (in 4 years) and no need for another reviewer. I do wonder why I volunteer my time when everyone seems to want to vote me out.

I am currently speaking with another cacher to become the Quebec reviewer as the work load has become to large for me

A very good new for all french geocachers of Canada! He speaks a good french? He knows Quebec and Canada ?

I do wonder why I volunteer my time when everyone seems to want to vote me out.

the problem isn't you Cache-Tech, you do a very good work for a reviewer B) it' isn't your work which is called into question.

it's a lingustic problem, We do geocahing in French and we would like to be able to discuss in French with the persons in charge, it's all!

it's not a personal attack against you

Edited by BeerMan-Qc
What's that sound I hear?  Oh, it's BeerMan's application to be a cache reviewer, being torn up and tossed in les ordures peuvent.

it's really a constructive comment!

Mr. The Leprechauns compares me has a dirt! B) (ordure = dirt in english)

thank you!

This comment is really disappointing of the part of a Charter member...

what to say?

only... I support your USA Pittsburgh Association! and God bless America! :grin:

Edited by BeerMan-Qc
Sorry to let you know Beerman, but my french is french emmersion.  I hardly babble fish.  So sorry you don't like my french.

Cache Agent

Volunteer Cache Reviewer

excuse me, I jumped to the conclusion a little quickly

I admire our effort to learn the french

French isn't a easy language, and I know that one can't learn it in 2 weeks

sorry, I will edit my reply off-topic

Edited by BeerMan-Qc
What's that sound I hear? Oh, it's BeerMan's application to be a cache reviewer, being torn up and tossed in les ordures peuvent.

That's not very nice. Do you teach that kind of attitude to your kid? By the way, we understand the arrogance in the english part of your sentence, but you should know that "les ordures peuvent" is not understandable in french.

Ciao!

Mart

My french is french Immersion. Grade 1 to 7 French, then 8-12 french immersion. I hardly babble fish.

Cache Agent

Volunteer Cache Reviewer

I've edited my post, also.

I (as well as others) as a reviewer face many things when reviewing in english, when french (or another language) is a second language or hardly a second language it gets frustrating for every person involved trying to understand what each other is saying.

I haven't posted to the Quebec forum mostly because I don't feel comfortable with my french enough to post. I've wanted to come in and answer questions but figured it wouldn't come out the way it should, ending in a mess. I'm sure you feel the same way about english as I do about french (insecure) sometimes.

If you would like I will try to translate this to french, probably do better then babel fish :huh:

Cache Agent

Volunteer Cache Reviewer

LOL! Funny! LOL!

I admire our reviewers' work. Some of us cachers have a strong personality and we are proud of our caches. So we do not like to be questioned, I guess.

I have translated cache descriptions from French to English for cachers who asked me to. I would also like to see the quality of French improve...

As soon as I understand how HTML coding works, I will translate my own caches to English too.