Loading Waypoints Into 60c

Our new gps should be here in a few hours. We had planned on going caching today with our etrex, but we'd love to take the new one out with us! Can anyone tell me what I can do ahead of time in order to quickly load waypoints?

With our etrex we've never had the data cable, so we've entered coordinates by hand for the past 229 caches!

We'd appreciate any help that we can get before we get the owner's manual!

:)

1.Load the 60CS's USB drivers from the disk that came with your GPS

2. Dowload EasyGPS to your PC. Set it up to use a 60CS by selecting the unit under preferences.

3. Choose the caches you want to hunt and save the file to your disk (or run a pocket query). Use GPX files where possible instead of LOC. THey have more info and come with the cache icon for cache waypoints.

3. Plug your GPS into the USB port

4. Open the file in EasyGPS and click "send to GPS"

5. You're done

Or do the same with Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK). You can try if for free and buy it for a few bucks. A bit more of a learning curve than EasyGPS, but lots more bells and whistles to sort, filter and slice and dice your cache data. GSAK will not only export to your 60CS, but also to MapSource, CacheMate (if you decide to go paperless) and a dozen other applications you may have or want.

CAUTION: As Briansnat recommends, load the drivers before attaching the GPSr to your computer. Garmin is very persnicketty in doing this. Otherwise, you may be in for a frustrating day of communication errors, registry edits, etc. It pays to read and follow the installation instructions.

Edited by Sputnik 57

Thanks for the advice.

We will have the 60c, not the 60cs, if that matters.

I have GSAK, but I don't have a clue to use it. We use cachemate currently, and I've played around with GSAK on the laptop, but never figured out what to do with it from there.

It looks like we'll be out caching before the new unit arrives, so I'll have more time to figure it out...

The 60C and 60CS are identical as far as firmware, installation and uploading waypoints goes. I have the 60C myself and Brian's advise and mine still hold. For more info, you may want to click on the FAQ in my sig line.

Happy caching!

Edited by Sputnik 57
The 60C and 60CS are identical as far as firmware, installation and uploading waypoints goes. I have the 60C myself and Brian's advise and mine still hold. For more info, you may want to click on the FAQ in my sig line.

Happy caching!

Ok, I wasn't sure! Thanks again!

I have easygps downloaded and ready to go!