When Geocaching, Do You Carry A Firearm?

When you go out in the woods or across unknow terrain, do you carry a hand gun or rifle for protection against snakes, or other unknown threats?

I carry my firearm everywhere... read my sig!!! lol... :lol:

legal advise: check your state and local laws!

When you go out in the woods or across unknow terrain, do you carry a hand gun or rifle for protection against snakes, or other unknown threats?

Good God, no. I don't even own a gun.

You make it sound like it's a sin!

No it's not a sin, it's just not a choice I would make. In my opinion, those who own guns expose themselves to more risk, not less.

But then, I don't want to argue all those warn out pro-gun/con-gun arguments. They're boring, circular, and have been done before ad nauseum to no productive end. You believe what you believe, and I believe what I believe.

So let's just leave it at that. If carrying a piece makes you feel safer, more power to you. Just make sure everyone you cache with knows you are carrying it, I guess.

It may not be a sin. But it is certainly one of a few topics that can create polarized opinions quicker than anything!

I don't carry. However, on several occasions, I have talked with my wife about carrying and we continue to discuss it. I suspect that we probably will someday when it is prudent.

Just make sure everyone you cache with knows you are carrying it, I guess.

That I would have to whole-heartedly agree with. I have an ex-friend who made a point of flashing his concealed glock at unexpected times. We parted ways over that issue.

Edit for quote and spelling.

Edited by A^2

QUOTE (PlasteredDragon @ May 16 2005, 08:45 PM)

QUOTE (Team HHD1 @ May 17 2005, 12:41 AM)

"When only outlaws have guns;

Only outlaw's kids will accidentially shoot themselves !"

XD-40 on my side when I'm caching alone. Had an instance where some teenagers (after me explaining what geocaching was) asked how much money I had on me. Told em "I hardly ever carry cash, but with this (lifting the coat to the side to reveal the .40) I'm sure I could get some pocket change. Needless to say they went their way and I went mine.

No it's not a sin, it's just not a choice I would make. In my opinion, those who own guns expose themselves to more risk, not less.

But then, I don't want to argue all those warn out pro-gun/con-gun arguments. They're boring, circular, and have been done before ad nauseum to no productive end. You believe what you believe, and I believe what I believe.

So let's just leave it at that. If carrying a piece makes you feel safer, more power to you. Just make sure everyone you cache with knows you are carrying it, I guess.

Oh I assure you it is a topic that is strictly an opinional subject... I just chose to have it for my families protection. I went through training and have grown up with firearms through my time. If my family was ever in jepordy I would rather have it than think of what could have happen if I didn't... I thank God for our Bill or Rights!

I wouldn't reccommend anyone who hasn't been trained to use a firearm. That would not be safe for anyone. I respect your desicion regardless if I believe in it or not. That's what makes this country great. :lol:

I'm from the Great South and I have been raised with them. My only goal was to find out who uses them or not... I didn't mean to be confrotational with my last post. I appoligize if I offended anyone.

...But, I won't let every geocacher (or everyone else) know that I am carryin a firearm. I know when to use and when not to. No need to "flash" anything.

That would be like showing my lunch bag to cachers "just in case" they are vegitarians...

I don't plan to use my lunch meat unless I have too! lol... :lol:

QUOTE (PlasteredDragon @ May 16 2005, 08:45 PM)

QUOTE (Team HHD1 @ May 17 2005, 12:41 AM)

"When only outlaws have guns;

Only outlaw's kids will accidentially shoot themselves !"

That would be a parental problem... :lol:

...But, I won't let every geocacher (or everyone else) know that I am carryin a firearm.  I know when to use and when not to.  No need to "flash" anything. 

That would be like showing my lunch bag to cachers "just in case" they are vegitarians...

As I already said, I respect your opinion. But I think if you are going to carry a concealed weapon when you go out with other geocachers, you have a responsibility to let them know you are carrying it.

Your analogy is flawed. Your roast-beef sandwich isn't going to accidentally go off when you fall down and tear a hole through the neck of the vegetarian's son. I'm talking about risk, not politics... and if you'll allow me I'll attempt to illustrate:

You decide to carry a firearm with you for protection. Firearms carry inherent risks, but you are highly trained and experienced with those sorts of weapons and you feel that mitigates the risk to the point where you think the benefits outweigh the risk. And it's fine for you to make that choice **for yourself**.

If you choose not to inform other people who came geocaching with you that you are carrying a lethal weapon, you are exposing them to the same risks you've exposed yourself to. The only difference is, they don't get to choose for themselves whether those risks are acceptable. You made the choice for them. And in my opinion you have no right to do that.

If we were friends and we hung out somewhere together and then afterward you happened to find out that I had in my pocket a vial of contagious and lethal disease, I think you'd be furious that I didn't tell you so that you could decide for yourself whether or not you wanted to hang out with me. And you'd be right to be furious.

I guess it's got a lot to do with where and how you were raised, Plastered Dragon. I live in the deep south, and hunting here is more than a pastime, it's a way of life. I own/carry guns most of the time, whether hunting or not. One of the guns, as I stated earlier, is actually my wife's...my 13 and 8 year olds also own firearms. (of course, their guns are only handled/used under close supervision)

As I already said, I respect your opinion.

Lie! :lol:

Save your passive aggressive rhetoric. It's weak and ignorant.

You don't know me well enough to call me liar.

And I do respect his opinion. I'm not even against gun ownership.

My post was about making choices for yourself versus making choices for other people.

Get a grip.

Uh... last I checked the disease you carry is not legal under any circumstance... I cache with my Family. I teach my children to respect a weapon regardless of what it is and show them how to be responsible with it. I do not cache with anyone other than my Family.

I do understand now that you meant other cachers like freinds and such, but I can assure you my friends carry weapons as well and I know that when I go hunting or fishing or camping with them they are packing. I only trust a handful of folks. Your reasoning is respectable

You make sense in your point but, when I go shopping or hiking, I do not choose to make it known that I am carring. I will not broadcast it.

There are NO mistakes if you are wise with your firearm. If I trip, my firearm will not go off. The chamber will be empty. I teach my children what I have been taught and that is Safety 1st.

Would you rather your police force use pepper spray and rocks instead?

You can choose a stick, and I will choose my firearm... We should decide to "agree to disagree' and leave it at that.

Your input is appreciated, my "poll" was for yes or no's... Thanks for your no :lol:

I honestly am Not looking for a debate. That was furthest from my mind when I started this topic.

Edited by Team HHD1
I guess it's got a lot to do with where and how you were raised, Plastered Dragon. I live in the deep south, and hunting here is more than a pastime, it's a way of life. I own/carry guns most of the time, whether hunting or not. One of the guns, as I stated earlier, is actually my wife's...my 13 and 8 year olds also own firearms. (of course, their guns are only handled/used under close supervision)

No doubt, culture has a lot to do with it. I don't dispute that, nor do I feel people should be denied the right to own weapons. Carrying concealed firearms is something I'm a little iffy about (and I'm sure Team HHDH respects my opinion there, even if he disagrees.)

Obviously if you tell *everyone* that you are carrying a concealed weapon, that sort of defeats the purpose of concealing it in the first place.

So therefore, I don't think you have to stop every passerby and say "Hey btw, I'm carrying a piece, just so you know."

But if you're going to be spending any considerable time with a person, I think you have a responsibilty to tell them you are carrying, so they can choose for themselves whether or not they will remain in your company. That's all I'm saying (and by the way, it was enough to get me labelled "liar" and accused of spouting "rhetoric").

Maybe in some places of the country, everybody's carrying, so it would be a pointless thing to do. So obviously if you are hiking with your friend and you know he has a gun at all times, there's no reason to tell him you're carrying. But if you are going for a hike with some friends of friends, and you don't know how they feel about guns, it would be better to err on the side of prudence.

When I go fishing with someone, I tell them and they tell me "Glad your holding in case there's a gator"... might seem funny but it's the truth. When I go hunting, it's kinda a given! lol...

But I'm talking about cahing... Since I only go with my family, they know. That's the point of the topic.

Does anyone else carry a rifle or hand gun when caching? Or not...

It's cool either way. As I said before, I was looking for a yes or no answer not a debate.

According to the National Vital Statistics Report, Vol. 50, No. 15, September 16, 2002, you are many times more likely to die due to major cardiovascular diseases, chronic lower respiratory distress, diabetes, influenza/pneumonia, motor vehicle accidents, and the list goes on, than from firearms.

As for the argument about informing your geocaching partners that you are carrying: 37 states (at last count) allow their residents (and most visiting non-residents) the right to carry to protect themselves. Another 9 states plus the District of Columbia offer permits/licensing to those able to satisfy some burden of proof that they have a legal need to carry. There is a very good chance that people you come into contact with EVERYDAY are carrying. Does each and every one of them inform each and every person that they come in contact with, that they are carrying? No, of course not. Does this make them negligent or somehow less than upstanding? Of course not.

Those of us that do carry, are aware of the statues and regulations that govern carrying and that usually entails not shouting out to everyone around that "Hey, I've got a handgun strapped to my side."

Back on topic: Yes, I carry while geocaching, unless I can tell from the maps I will be in a school zone, as Ohio forbids carrying in a school zone, among other places.

Tim

Uh...  last I checked the disease you carry is not legal under any circumstance...

I realize that. I was just illustrating the point. No analogy is perfect.

It's good to hear how seriously you treat your weapons, and how you reinforce that in teaching your family about them. Good for you! Not enough people take personal responsibility for anything these days, be it weapons, pit bulls, automobiles, or what have you.

I once watched a movie about a man who worked with deadly chemicals, and one of my favorite lines from that movie often comes to mind when I think about people taking responsibility for dangerous things they own: The moment you lose respect for this, it kills you.

(10 points if you can Name That Movie.)

You make sense in your point but, when I go shopping or hiking, I do not choose to make it known that I am carring.  I will not broadcast it.

Right, I understand, I think you'll find that we come fairly close to agreement on the fact that broadcasting it defeats the purpose of concealing it.

Would you rather your police force use pepper spray and rocks instead?

Eh? I'm not sure I understand the relevance of this question. Since I'm not against the right to own guns, or even the right to carry guns, I fail to see how one might think I would be against police carrying guns! :lol:

You can choose a stick, and I will choose my firearm...  We should decide to "agree to disagree' and leave it at that.

Which is pretty much what I said eariler. :P I've got nothing against you as a gun owner, honestly. :lol:

Your input is appreciated, my "poll" was for yes or no's...  Thanks for your no ;)

I honestly am Not looking for a debate.  That was furthest from my mind when I started this topic.

LOL. Okay, okay. Remember, YOU ASKED! :lol:

I once watched a movie about a man who worked with deadly chemicals, and one of my favorite lines from that movie often comes to mind when I think about people taking responsibility for dangerous things they own: The moment you lose respect for this, it kills you.

That wasn't "The Rock," with Nicholas Cage and Sean Connery, was it?

Congratulations Tim, you just earned 10 points. (Not sure what you get to do with them!) It was indeed "The Rock". Nicholas Cage is a riot.

Congratulations Tim, you just earned 10 points. (Not sure what you get to do with them!) It was indeed "The Rock". Nicholas Cage is a riot.

He has played quite a range of characters. Oddly enough, like handguns, people either seem to love him, or hate him.

Click here for a WAV of that line.

So let's just leave it at that.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, irony. ;):lol::P:lol::lol:

I do not bring a gun.

I know all the areas I cache in well and know what to expect. I could see how having a gun could be a good thing in some area's. A mountain lion was recently seen VERY near a place I walk on a regular basis; I know it is probably more afraid of me than me of it but this did get me thinking about having some form of self defense. Anyone know of any EFECTIVE less than leathel form of self defens?

My $0.02 on the whole right to own a gun brings two things to mind:

1: If the police can have a gun, I should also be allowed to have a gun. I want to be able to defend myself against any threat, even a police state.

2: "Better to have a gun and not need it, than need a gun and not have it." another movie reference.

Note: Every police officer I know does their job with only the "to protect and serve" moto in mind, as well as just being good people. There is a long story that involves a close friend and a bad bike acident that ended well because the local law enforcment did their jobs without flaw.

I would also like to note that I AM a tree sitting hippie, that is a math major at H.S.U. , that does also only vote Blue. I do belive there should be limits on what kinds of guns people should own. I don't know anyone that would hunt with a fully auto gun, from what I understand, the military isue "grunt" gun is not even fully auto, just 3 round burst.

With all that said; responsible, educated gun ownership is fine by me.

Phobos

sorry for any sp errors, the girlfreind (Demos) really wanted me to " hurry up and get off the web".

i'M LOOKING TO GET A HAND GUN BECAUSE IN THE aRIZONA DESERT wE HAVE SOME WILDLIFE LIKE BOBCATS TO LOOK OUT FOR. i WAW ONE STALKING ME ON A CLIFF SIDE AND BOY DID i WISH i HAD A GUN TO SCARE IT OFF

AZCOWBOY290

:lol:

Heyyyy there,

Thanks for makin' us pro carry folks look good. :lol::lol:

I don't know anyone that would hunt with a fully auto gun, from what I understand, the military isue "grunt" gun is not even fully auto, just 3 round burst.

Correct, just like no one would ever hunt with a Colt M1873 Peacemaker, or Colt Navy Model 1851.

But certain people would love to have either of the above referenced historical firearms in their collection, just as certain people (after satisfying the requirements for ownership) would love to have an automatic weapon in their collection. It's worth mentioning that fully-automatic weapons have been regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934. It's also worth mentioning that criminals, by the very definition, do NOT obey laws; therefore any gun that is banned or regulated, will only be banned or regulated from law-abiding persons. According to "Rational Basis Analysis of 'Assault Weapon' Prohibition," a paper by David B. Kopel, of the Independence Institute, "assault weapons are used in only about one percent of gun crime." And, the imfamous LA/Hollywood bank robbery a few years ago notwithstanding, there have been very few if any crimes committed with fully auto weapons. Again, this comes back to the strict, federal licensing and regulating of fully auto weapons.

I was under the assumption that the M16 was user selectable, semi-auto, 3 round burst, or fully auto. I am pressed for time, I cannot find the current specs.

As I already said, I respect your opinion.

Lie! :lol:

Save your passive aggressive rhetoric. It's weak and ignorant.

You don't know me well enough to call me liar.

And I do respect his opinion. I'm not even against gun ownership.

My post was about making choices for yourself versus making choices for other people.

Get a grip.

recently online I saw a video of a cop teaching a gun safty class shoot him self in the foot and another cop showing kidds that his safty holster made it so the gun couldnt go off also shooting himself in the leg so I would have to agree that If your gona carry then everyone has the right to know. If you don't feal conftrable enough to tell fellow cachers that your packing the you probly shouldnt.

And before you flame me I have no probs with guns just alot of the people that cary them.

In before the lock?

Follow the links in my sig line to figure out which side of the discussion I fall on.

You should not be telling someone you geocache with if you carry or not, any more then you would tell your co-workers, people on the train, or everyone in the quick-mart you carry. In fact, in some states it may technically be illegal to do so.

Many people would drop dead from hoplophobia if they knew just how many people around them carry a concealed firearm. In most states, there is a very good chance you deal with many people every day who are carrying a firearm you don't know about. Since a gun has NEVER jumped out of it's holster and discharged all on it's own, without any human help, you will probably never know the guy on the trail, on the train, at your job, or in line at the supermarket has a gun. Unless he/she uses to to save your @a** someday.

Edited by Mopar

For thugs in SA it has become favorite pastime to hunt people that are enjoying the outdoors! With a few $100.00 worth of items on you when geocaching you become the hunted very easy in South Africa!

Regrettably crime has become such a part of our life here in our lovely country that carrying a gun or something else for self defense is a must. Without a gun you are just too soft a target!

YES I carry my gun all the time!

recently online I saw a video of a cop teaching a gun safty class shoot him self in the foot and another cop showing kidds that his safty holster made it so the gun couldnt go off also shooting himself in the leg

I saw that too. Priceless. :lol:

I don't know anyone that would hunt with a fully auto gun, from what I understand, the military isue "grunt" gun is not even fully auto, just 3 round burst.

Correct, just like no one would ever hunt with a Colt M1873 Peacemaker, or Colt Navy Model 1851.

But certain people would love to have either of the above referenced historical firearms in their collection, just as certain people (after satisfying the requirements for ownership) would love to have an automatic weapon in their collection. It's worth mentioning that fully-automatic weapons have been regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934. It's also worth mentioning that criminals, by the very definition, do NOT obey laws; therefore any gun that is banned or regulated, will only be banned or regulated from law-abiding persons. According to "Rational Basis Analysis of 'Assault Weapon' Prohibition," a paper by David B. Kopel, of the Independence Institute, "assault weapons are used in only about one percent of gun crime." And, the imfamous LA/Hollywood bank robbery a few years ago notwithstanding, there have been very few if any crimes committed with fully auto weapons. Again, this comes back to the strict, federal licensing and regulating of fully auto weapons.

I was under the assumption that the M16 was user selectable, semi-auto, 3 round burst, or fully auto. I am pressed for time, I cannot find the current specs.

As I recall the original M-16 was semi auto or full auto, later versions had the 3 round burst option added, Some place I havean article that was published in Guns and Ammo when the M-16 was first produced, There was even a version that was belt fed, but i do not think it ever made it into production.

As far a carrying a fire arm while caching, being that I am in california this is not an option unless some one is with a law enforcment agancy. Getting a permit to carry even un concealed is calif is pretty much a lost cause. If I could I would carry my HK VP70Z with me.

recently online I saw a video of a cop teaching a gun safty class shoot him self in the foot and another cop showing kidds that his safty holster made it so the gun couldnt go off also shooting himself in the leg

I saw that too. Priceless. :lol:

And proof that cops are often less trained on firearms then the avg citizen who carries a gun. There is no such thing as an "accidental discharge"; only negligent ones. The DEA officer in that video broke so many common-sense safety rules he should not be allowed to handle anything more dangerous then a pencil.

For thugs in SA it has become favorite pastime to hunt people that are enjoying the outdoors! With a few $100.00 worth of items on you when geocaching you become the hunted very easy in South Africa!

Regrettably crime has become such a part of our life here in our lovely country that carrying a gun or something else for self defense is a must. Without a gun you are just too soft a target!

YES I carry my gun all the time!

man im glad that I dont live where you live. Ive been cacheing for a couple years and never ran into any thing lke that. In the past I have had a gun pulled on me and defused the situation without pulling a gun. If theres already a gun pointed at you do you realy belive you can pull aim and pull the triger faster then someone can pull the triger?? After talking with my kung fu instructer and asking him many times what should i do if i have a gun pulled on me. he told me one thing do what they say and keep a calm head any action that can escalte the situation will turn out bad. Even if you do manage to draw out your gun chances are you will get shot doing it. I understand the I saw a bobcat situation then it could help but even in that instance things can turn from bad to worse

The answer is: sometimes. More specifically, probably about half of the time. For jumping out at a drive-up cache, not hardly. For caches where I may be gone for a while, I do, but not for snakes, wildcats, etc. It's man that I cannot predict.

man im glad that I don’t live where you live

Yes, it is very sorry that thugs spoil it for everybody! It is sad that we have to ask question about guns and carrying guns!

Like I said we have such a wonderful country with vast outdoor areas but it is becoming more and more dangerous. Just in the news two days ago a man got himself shot for only R5.50(That is less than $1.00!!!)

In the last few months a lot op people got mugged and robbed while hiking on Table Mountain. It became so bad that the authorities even employed special mountain security to try and make it safe!

So ultimately over here we do not carry guns for snakes and wild animals but we carry guns to ward off the two legged animal type!

If theres already a gun pointed at you do you realy belive you can pull aim and pull the triger faster then someone can pull the triger??

Not directly solely at PyroDave, but, if one has a weapon already pointed at one's self, one has not been paying attention to one's surroundings. Many times, if one does pay attention, one can avoid having a weapon drawn and pointed at one's self. Col. Jeff Cooper developed a system, widely used in firearms training, to identify and label one's surroundings, to recognize and avoid a situation that may result in having a weapon pointed at one's self. Here and here for a little more about the "Color Code" and a little about decision making before and during a confrontation.

QUOTE (PyroDave @ May 17 2005, 02:10 AM)

If theres already a gun pointed at you do you realy belive you can pull aim and pull the triger faster then someone can pull the triger??

Not directly solely at PyroDave, but, if one has a weapon already pointed at one's self, one has not been paying attention to one's surroundings. Many times, if one does pay attention, one can avoid having a weapon drawn and pointed at one's self. Col. Jeff Cooper developed a system, widely used in firearms training, to identify and label one's surroundings, to recognize and avoid a situation that may result in having a weapon pointed at one's self. Here and here for a little more about the "Color Code" and a little about decision making before and during a confrontation.

Rules of engagment----- shoot first and ask questions later!!! :) Like this you avoid a weapon been pointed at you head! :D

For all you anti gun people-- my point above is only a joke!!

The answer is: sometimes. More specifically, probably about half of the time. For jumping out at a drive-up cache, not hardly. For caches where I may be gone for a while, I do, but not for snakes, wildcats, etc. It's man that I cannot predict.

Spoken like a true LEO!

I was a Law Enforcement Officer for 13 years, and a SpecWar Operator a few years before that, and can confirm JrsK9's statement that man is the most dangerous animal around!

Yes i can uderstand the whole your not paying attention statment thing but lets consider a couple things first how many posts have you seen wheere people signing a log have been suprised by a muggle? Second if you have that much awarnes of your suroundings you should beable to defuse the situation before it comes to a dueling chalange. Most criminals are looking for a easy grab if you canfrount them before you then they most likely turn away. If they dont even by the time you have noticed them even if they dont have the gun drawn they have already sized you up and have the advantage. If your cacheing with your family do you realy want to draw risk him getting the stray shot off and hiting a family member? Like i've said I have no prob with guns but the attitude that if i have a gun I'm gona win the fight isnt realistic.

As this discussion has moved swiftly off topic, I wonder if a volunteer might move it to the Off Topic topic, instead of closing it?

Ummmm, no. I get yelled at when I do that.

Howabout everyone stays on topic, and relates their post to geocaching and to the original question? Posters who don't do that get warning cards. That way, the thread stays on-topic, and can remain open right here.

Thanks.