Birds Nest

I just picked out a fresh robins nest that was being made in my gazebo rafters above my hot tub. I was able to get it down before any eggs were laid. Little buggers made it in two days. Pretty fast.

So my question is, should I use it for a cache? Bwaaahhaaaaaa :lol:

mrking

PS. No drivel about taking it down, if you ever saw what a mess those buggers can do, you'd take it down too. Bird crap is like acid, eats through everything.

I have heard some arguments against doing such a thing and I believe it has merit.

Once a cache is found in a nest, others might start looking in other, possibly active, nests.

Devious yes but CR's got a good point.

I would advise against using the nest, because it does promote tampering with nests. It is also illegal to own or take into one's possession a bird's nest, believe it or not. More information about that is listed on the sites that describe the Mirgratory Birds Act, of which this is a severly abridged version:

Migratory Bird Act

I do not beleive Robins are migratory. I will go check out the regs and report my findings...

I would advise against using the nest, because it does promote tampering with nests. It is also illegal to own or take into one's possession a bird's nest, believe it or not. More information about that is listed on the sites that describe the Mirgratory Birds Act, of which this is a severly abridged version:

Migratory Bird Act

I do not beleive Robins are migratory. I will go check out the regs and report my findings...

A quote from Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology:By September, many are moving south from the northern parts of the eastern half of the country to winter with southern residents in the Middle Atlantic and Gulf states

Robins

El Diablo

Migratory Bird Act

Robins, believe it or not, are on THE LIST

Bad Idea, Imo.

Ever seen how vicious even a Robin can get protecting her nest? We had one right above our door last year, and getting in/out was often very tough.

Getting it removed before she laid the eggs is a lifesaver! Once she's in, shes In.

Get caught near a larger birds nest, and you could be in for some real trouble. Having your eyes pecked out isnt on most peoples cache adventures list :lol:

There is a guy that sells geocache nests on ebay. He gets some good money for those, but my point is that he makes them....doesn't accuire them by birds. I think it is a brillant idea. He uses some sort of sent to keep the birds out, so they don't nest and give a Geocacher a surprize.

Edited by ladycacher

Migratory Bird Act

Robins, believe it or not, are on THE LIST

Well it is settled then. As much as I would love to do it, a hefty fine will stop me from using it. In the trash it goes.

Thanks for the input.