Cinematic Cache Locations

I'm not sure how many people were watching Channel 4's 100 Greatest War Films last night and the night before, but although I was not in agreement with the result, I was a little chuffed at finding that Saving Private Ryan was voted #1 - as I own a cache, Saving Ryan's Privates on Curracloe Beach, County Wexford, where the landings on Omaha Beach were filmed.

Does anyone else own a cache (or has visited a cache) at a location with cinematic history?

..... as I own a cache, Saving Ryan's Privates on Curracloe Beach, County Wexford, where the landings on Omaha Beach were filmed.

We visited your cache there and it was very good, particularly because we stayed to use the excellent child=friendly beach on Ireland's "Sunshine Coast" (no, honestly, that's what it's called).

Here are a few more. Lacock Abbey has been in Harry Potter, Price & Prejudice, Emma and Moll Flanders. Castle Combe was the port in Doctor Dolittle in the '60s.

Royal Crescent in Bath has been sued in numerous period peices.

More generally, there is a locationless cache for capturing these places called Goodbye Hollywood.

Spielbergs Folly.This location was going to be used in Saving private Ryan but for some reason Spielberg didn't use it.

He used a church next to the big house in Thame Park instead. It's seen (from a distance. There are lots of signs saying not to leave the footpath) on my T(H)AME (S)TROLL (Oxon) cache.

I was just watching BBC2 and saw St. Dunstons church, where a cache is hidden.

Close to me in Aylesbury is the underpass where a homeless old man was brutally beaten in Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange (Cache: Chess Themed Geocache No. 10 -Black King) and Stowe (north of Buckingham) has been used for Nazi book burning in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (shown on BBC last night) and for a funeral on the last-but-one James Bond, The World is not Enough. (Caches: Secret Garden, Who's Affraid of the Big Bad Wolfe?, etc.)

I see Turville (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, etc) (Cache: Went the cache well, etc) and Hambleden (doubles for the village where there's only one gay in Little Britain, etc) in various shows... The church and pond in front of it in Haddenham is in The Muppet Movie (Cache: The World's Tallest Building...) and a big bit of Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason which was edited out (but appears on the DVD) was filmed at Aldbury (fox hunting - Cache: Aldbury Tales) and Nether Winchendon (the christening scene - Cache: Nether Regions)

I could go on, but I already have :o

SP

Edited by Simply Paul

The island is crammed with film locations, and I've taken advantage of this with the Isle of Man Film Series: the current collection is;

Don't wake Ned!

Treasure Isle

Island At War

The Grimpen Mire

Manx Travel Bug Hotel

All these are at film locations - some more famous than others, of course. Film and television stars are commonplace here - for instance, a friend recently spotted Madonna in the local Indian restaurant (I'm reliably informed!). Personally, I'm getting a bit old for all that acting lark: I'll stick to seeking out 5/5 geocaches.

HH

Spielbergs Folly.This location was going to be used in Saving private Ryan but for some reason Spielberg didn't use it.

He used a church next to the big house in Thame Park instead. It's seen (from a distance. There are lots of signs saying not to leave the footpath) on my T(H)AME (S)TROLL (Oxon) cache.

The location seems about right - from memory, was the French* town not built at the defunct British Aerospace facility near Hatfield?

edited to add - after a quick Google, the fictional town in the movie was called Ramelle

Edited by klaus23

GCKCNK - Cluedo - the who? is located at Hughendon Manor in Bucks, and as drive up the access road, you pass the church in which the MI5 agents were blown up in Rowan Atkinson's Johnny English.

GCKBCJ Chasing the deer in Ashridge was used as part of the set for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

I haven't seen either film yet.

Don't forget to log these locations for the locationless GC62B3 Goodbye Hollywood

Edited by NickPick