My First Find

Hi. I've been reading this forum for a while, but please forgive me if this is not the place to post this.

I first heard about Geocaching 6 months ago, but just found my first cache today. I was surfing around the site and saw a cache that I thought might be located in a cematary on my dad's friend's property, and it was. My parents and I went there, and I found the cache quickly. It was quite fun. My dad also enjoyed it, and we will be locating another next weekend. We don't have a GPS, but since my parents know this area pretty well, we have an idea where several are. I'll be looking into finding a cheap GPS though..I think I'm going to get hooked on caching. :huh:

-Elizabeth

Get out while you still can!!!!!!!

Yeah! Get out to a Super Wal-Mart and find a good deal on a decent GPSr!

You'll be hooked on this game.

This is the only online game I've played that gets me out of the house and lets me enjoy the great outdoors, get some exercise and get away from the keyboard. (Except for these darn forums!)

:o

dont buy the gps you still have a chance this activity can lead to long road trips. Interacting with family and meeting new people. Lots of cuts and scrapes and a new found enjoyment of the outdoors. This is a highly adicting activity you still have time RUN!!!!

But congrats on your first find and hope you have many more good exsperinces.

I had my first find this weekend also, and I never imagined how fun this would be. But I have a question, and I have searched FAQ with no luck on this one. I found a cache, using my GPS, far into the woods but I couldn't help having the feeling that someone would walk up on me. When you find a cache, do you move away from the hiding location? How far? What if the only place to go is in the middle of a path? Just need some help on the how-to's of this one.

I found a cache, using my GPS, far into the woods but I couldn't help having the feeling that someone would walk up on me.  When you find a cache, do you move away from the hiding location?  How far?  What if the only place to go is in the middle of a path? Just need some help on the how-to's of this one.

Oh, you've got to evaluate that on a case-by-case. But I usually sit down with it in place and assume anyone who walks up on me will think the tupperware is my lunch, or I'm sketching or something. I have sketching stuff with me, which would make that plausible, but nobody's ever asked. I'm always walked up on when I'm NOT expecting it, and I usually just get the fisheye. Sometimes I blurt something bizarre like, "lookin' for chipmunks!" Which at least makes people move on quickly without making eye contact.

A word of warning: sitting down in the woods isn't the smartest. I pick up a lot of bugs and the occasional interesting mung that way.

I had my first find this weekend also, and I never imagined how fun this would be. But I have a question, and I have searched FAQ with no luck on this one. I found a cache, using my GPS, far into the woods but I couldn't help having the feeling that someone would walk up on me. When you find a cache, do you move away from the hiding location? How far? What if the only place to go is in the middle of a path? Just need some help on the how-to's of this one.

If I am way out in the woods/backcountry, I don't worry about opening the cache right at the cache location.

However, if there are people around, I will pick up the cache and move away a bit.

If you do the latter, please mark the spot where the cache was so you can return it to the exact spot.

One of the first caches I found was under a bush. I grabbed it and moved away to a better spot for opening the ammo can. When I went to return it, all the bushes looked alike. :D

I always suggest a simple Garmin Etrex. The simplest and probably cheapest. If geocaching works out, then you can always upgrade after wearing the old one out. If after a while geocaching becomes boring, it's got other uses.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the craze!

I just looked it up on Google and it looks perfect, thank you so much. Will be looking into it more. :lol:

Congratulations on your first find! Imagine what you can do once you have your GPSr! As previously stated, the Garmin Etrex is an excellent choice for starters, along with some other models in the Etrex line...the Vista and the Legend come to mind right offhand.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check those out as well. :D