Geocache Containers

Does anybody know of any junk that could be used as an actual geocache container with little or no improvements or modifications?

So far the only junk I can find is an old 55 gallon drum.

Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful. I need a cache container that will blend in with an abandoned structure and/or an abandoned bridge.

One cache I found along I-17 was actually trash. Somebody had taken an old soup can that didn't have the lid completely removed and used it as the cache. Worked great for the desert area, don't have to worry much about moisture getting into it. You'd run into quite the dilemma if you were to CITO to it though. :o

If you go with a free/cheap container be prepared to spend a little more time on maintaining it. Free stuff won't hold up as well as purchased containers.

That said I have had good luck with the gladware/ziplock semi disposable products. Depending on the hide you might get three months to a year of useful life out of such a container.

I wouldn't recomend tins in your neck of the wood but they seem to work well in desert locations.

My wife got about 100 35mm film canisters from a drug store that does film processing. She is using them with her Girl Scout Troop for crafts. All she had to do was ask for them. So every once in a while I sneak one or two :o

Edited by Lt32

I'm asking this question for 2 reasons:

First, I'm on a budget (obviously).

Second, the location is an abandoned highway bridge that has been closed for 30+ years. I want something large that would make the trip to the middle of the bridge worthwhile. I thought a 55 gallon drum would do the trick as nobody would suspect that it was in fact a geocache container.

The only issue is making it stand up to the elements. I like the traditional 35 mm film idea but they've been getting lots of complaints lately because people don't like micros.

I just thought I'd make a big ole container for fun.

I recommend checking out a local thrift store for containers. When I started out I found scads of old water coolers selling for about a buck each at our local Kiwanis secondhand store. They are assortes sizes but usually compare well to the size of an ammo can. I painted mine green with a little spraypaint which mostly wore off, but that adds to the fun of it when they get that 'used and abused' look. Just make sure give them a good sniff and you can usually tell if they were used for more than just water.

You can also often find secondhand tupperware in that sort of place. The problem with that is that they may have been used for food and could attract animals. I had a couple of used tupperware containers out for a year or so and had no animal issues.

When I was visiting family in St Louis we stopped in the Container Store and I picked up a handful of assorted sized Naglene containers. The most expensive one was under $3. They are small, but larger than a film cannister. Macro-Micros? They are totally waterproof!

When I was visiting family in St Louis we stopped in the Container Store and I picked up a handful of assorted sized Naglene containers. The most expensive one was under $3. They are small, but larger than a film cannister. Macro-Micros? They are totally waterproof!

Oh snap! You're right! I've got a ton of those laying around! Plastic jars too! Thanks for your help, you've made my day!!! :):o:D

Second, the location is an abandoned highway bridge that has been closed for 30+ years.  I want something large that would make the trip to the middle of the bridge worthwhile.  I thought a 55 gallon drum would do the trick as nobody would suspect that it was in fact a geocache container.

If you use a 55 gallon drum, I'd make sure you contact the owner/maintainer of the land (county? state?) to get permission and let them know what you're doing. I'd also clearly mark the can.

There are people who dump waste out in the middle of nowhere to avoid the high costs of hazardous waste disposal. Your cache could quickly fall into the hands of the government if you don't notify someone first.

You don't want to make the can so that muggles will look, but you do want to mark it in such a way the hazmat team doesn't get called, or that a called hazmat team will quickly get the idea.

I'd also hide the can itself just a little bit in shrubs or something, not just put it out in the middle of the bridge. For all the same reasons.

Luna

P.S. If you have a local winery, you can sometimes get plastic 55 gallon drums for real cheap ($5-10).

Edited by Lunaverse

My experience is that 35mm film containers are not water tight. I have tried storing liquids in them and the lid does not seal. On the other hand, I found that a deoderant stick case is water tight. I guess they make the slider tight so that the stick does not get wet or evaporate.

Larger containers might be any sort of wide mouth jar, preferrably plastic. A friend suggested a bear shaped gallon cookie container. A bit large, but we'll find some place to put it. Heck, you can spray a coat of polyurethane on pretty much anything and make it water proof. An old cigar box might work ok!

My experience is that 35mm film containers are not water tight. I have tried storing liquids in them and the lid does not seal.

I've found the same thing with newer ones. Older ones on the other hand seem to seal tight. I found a bag of film canisters that dates back 15 years or so and they all seal very tightly.

My experience is that 35mm film containers are not water tight.  I have tried storing liquids in them and the lid does not seal.

I've found the same thing with newer ones. Older ones on the other hand seem to seal tight. I found a bag of film canisters that dates back 15 years or so and they all seal very tightly.

I'll add to that, after a rain the logs in the 35mm canisters are usually wet,

might as well make it a virtual. :lol::lol::lol:

Free stuff won't hold up as well as purchased containers.

My thoughts too.

Pop for $5 and get a decent cache container. You can get an ammo can at the local army and navy for about $6 usually.

You can get lock'n'lock at Target nowadays for under $5.

All WAAAY better than "free" altoids cans, 35mm canisters and the like.

I don't think you'll be doing anyone (including yourself) a favor by skimping on the container and risking a cruddy cache.

OK, here are my favorites:

(1) Plastic M&M containers -- about the diamter of 35 mm film containers, but twice as long. Many colors = many hiding options without paint (I have one right out in the open next to a hamburger place, 'disguised' because it is bright red, just like the post it is attached to in plain sight. They are quite waterproof.

(2) Empty plastic cigar tubes -- most are tan color, which needs no paint to blend nicely in many locations. The downside is that they are not nearly as water proof.

(3) Plastic breath mint containers -- about the size of a postage stamp. A devil to find even when hidden partially exposed. Not 100% watertight so you need to make a log sheet out of write in rain paper or create a mini plastic bag from the corner of a sandwich bag.

I have used at least a dozen different types of containers, and still prefer 35 mm film containers for micros and $3 rubbermaid clear containers with a white screw on lid (painted green or black) for regular caches. Both have survived major hurricanes and remained perfectly dry.

Free stuff won't hold up as well as purchased containers.

My thoughts too.

Pop for $5 and get a decent cache container. You can get an ammo can at the local army and navy for about $6 usually.

You can get lock'n'lock at Target nowadays for under $5.

All WAAAY better than "free" altoids cans, 35mm canisters and the like.

I don't think you'll be doing anyone (including yourself) a favor by skimping on the container and risking a cruddy cache.

I don't agree that this is correct in all circumstances (see note at end). I had about 40 caches out during Hurricanes Frances and Jeanne last year, with the eyewall passing over my home (the roof did not fare too well) and the caches. Yes the ammo cans and US army issue pill vials did great, but so did the $3 rubbermaid plastic containers and free 35 mm film containers. I'll admit that up north this all may be false -- I have no idea how plastic caches hold up when it gets below freezing.

[stuff deleted]

You can also often find secondhand tupperware in that sort of place.  The problem with that is that they may have been used for food and could attract animals. [stuff deleted]

[stuff deleted]

Has anyone tried sealing these up with some baking soda inside? ...or for larger containers, a couple charcoal (grill) briquettes? After a few days, these methods should remove the odors.

I got some pet frogs as a birthday present *MANY* moons ago... They're still alive, although they're above the average age, so they may croak soon :D

Anyhow, I'll get to the point: The frog food comes in nice little screw-top containers, about the diameter of a film canister, about 1 1/2 times as tall...

LE.jpg

After peeling off the label, and wrapping with duct tape, writing the cache name on the duct tape, and then sealing the label with clear packing tape, it is quite difficult to find in a stone wall... Blends in beautifully! :D

I've used two so far, neither one has had any moisture problems... I've had a few people email me for extra hints though!

Happy Caching

Jeff

Has anyone tried these yet?

laysstax_combo.gif

I've got several of them STAX'ed :D up on my desk using them for storage containers for various things.

Sitting looking at them the other day I thought they might make for a good cache container.

They seem to be pretty air tight since they keep the chips fresh for a long time, so they'd have to be relatively moisture proof.

The lids stay on very well.

Empty ones are really good to scare the cat with, too!! :D

Just point the top at a napping cat and then squeeze the sides real quick and hard and the lid shoots off with a loud "POP!!"

:D:D:D:D

D-man :D

Depends on what you're looking to hide? And where. For our first hide, we used a plastic tupperware-type containter. Other possiblities could be a coffee can, film canister, tackle-box. Most anything you would find around your house. Check your garage. Just try to find the most air-tight, water-proof container possible.

If you do wind up using that 55-gallon drum, be sure to indicate that in your post.....curiosity alone would get me out there looking! :D

I remember we had a cach in a local park in an ammo can. The problem with this was someone thought it was a bomb and they ended up calling the cops. The parks department allowed the cache to stay but the container had to be swaped out.

Has anybody ever heard of this happening before?

I have no problem with forking out $5 for an ammo can. I still use less expensive containers in high profile locations. My logic is if a non cacher finds a Gladware container and reads the note they will probably put the cache back and move on. An ammo can might be to much temptation.

My $.02. If you're REALLY on a tight budget, AND you want to be environmentally friendly, just wash up some jars when you're done with them. Like the plastic ones that Peanut Butter comes in. It would just end up in a landfill, or going to the recycling plant. Wash it out. They're waterproof.

But a trip to the Dollar General or whatever the dollar store is near you can yield some great stuff. I found some really great tupperware there for a buck, in all kinds of sizes. And a two-pack of magnetic hide-a-keys were only a buck as well!

A mention of the altoids tins - the larger ones are leaky, but the small ones can be made waterproof (or nearly so), by epoxing a gasket into them.

I used an unused jar-gripper-thingie, cut to size on the lid,epoxied it in place, then epoxied a strip on the back side where the hinge-holes were (careful not to compromise the hinges themselves!) I tested it by holding it underwater. No leaks. Tried the same on a larger one and it just isn't rigid enough so it gaps along the seal.

A coat of paint, a magnet and there you are! :P

I was in the grocery store the other day and saw Ziploc has some waterproof containers with screw on lids that come in packs of 2 or 3 depending on the size that are only about $3.00. I picked up a pack of each and sprayed them with some camo spray I had at home. I had 5 containers for just a little more than $6. :huh:

zip_prod_twistnloc_middle.jpg

I wouldn’t recommend the Glad containers. There lids snap on and they haven’t held up very well in this area. :blink:

I have also gone to my local drug store and picked up some great waterproof micro containers that were made to hold pills on your key chain. They are just a little larger than a buffalo tube and are silver but you can spray them any color you want. The ones I got were about $5 each but they work great. :o

Edited by LRC91

I picked up a little waterproof match container at Wally world. It's a little less than the width of a 35ff, about another 3/4 or so taller, and bright orange. It's waterproof (tested it), threaded top with o-ring, and was like a dollar or two.

Would work good for a micro, or multistage something.

I've seen gallon plastic jars with screw on lids at Dollar Tree (for $1 of course) and wondered how they would work. Seems that they would be water tight.

Think of all the great stuff you could put in a 55 gal barrel tho! Or on the other hand, it would sure hold a lot of broken, dirty toys.

Has anyone tried these yet?

laysstax_combo.gif

*snipped for space*

Empty ones are really good to scare the cat with, too!! :blink:

Just point the top at a napping cat and then squeeze the sides real quick and hard and the lid shoots off with a loud "POP!!"

:(  :huh:  :o  B)

D-man :P

LOL That's evil. Almost worth getting a cat for.

I've seen gallon plastic jars with screw on lids at Dollar Tree (for $1 of course) and wondered how they would work.  Seems that they would be water tight. 

I have had one of the $1. large Plastic jars (I call them "pickle jars") with a screw on lid out for a year, no leaks yet.

I also buy dill pickles in gallon jars, either plastic or glass and save the jars.

Make great caches.

I use ammo boxes, the .30cal are $3.99 and the .50cal are $4.99 at the local

surplus store.