Geocaching : A Caucasian Sport?

This is a valid question because 'race' seems to be at least part of the motivation behind the current geocaching legislation being considered by the South Carolina Senate. White cachers visiting historically Black cemeteries ruffled a few feathers.

Economic explanations aside, there must be another factor.

This is a valid question because 'race' seems to be at least part of the motivation behind the current geocaching legislation being considered by the South Carolina Senate. White cachers visiting historically Black cemeteries ruffled a few feathers.

Since anyone at any time for any reason can look up and seek a cache, geocaching itself has no race component. People choose to do it or not as they see fit.

As for the SC Legislation that's politics and another ball game.

I would have to say that race is of absolutely no factor. Keep in mind that that geocaching is largely anomnyous and being stealthy is part of the stradegy. I have occaisionally run into the fellow cacher, but it has only only happened less than 10 times in 200 plus caches. Aside from cache events, this information would largely be unknown.

Look at many other outdoor sports like skiing, backpacking, climbing, kayaking, snowshoeing and you'll find that the participants are largely caucasian.

I don't think its economic because there is a large and growing Black middle class in this country and even they aren't getting into these sports. I think the primary reason is socialization. Blacks and Hispanics, even middle class ones, tend to live in urban and semi urban areas. They haven't had a lot of exposure to the "outdoors".

Because most people are comfortable with what they know they are less likely to venture out of their "sphere". This urban and suburban sphere doesn't include hiking, skiing, kayaking, rock climbing - and geocaching.

I think though, as geocaching continues its move into urban and semi urban areas its possible that you will see more Blacks and Hispanics get involved in the sport .

As an aside, I had a conversation with a Black co-worker recently and I mentioned how I was happy to move away from the city-like environment where I grew up, to something more countrified (by NJ standards). His reaction was "No way, not for me. "I love the concrete under my feet, the bustle and the sounds and even the smells of the city". He described this with the same enthusiasm that I describe long hikes in the mountians and nights sleeping under the stars.

Even the idea of hiking was alien to him. He felt that walking was something you did when you couldn't find a cab. The concept of walking 6 miles for the sake of walking was as alien to him, as the idea of living under the El train is to me.

The picture of the Four Children (Third Post from the top) are not Cachers they are Gang Bangers (Three are flashing Gang signs)

That picture needs to be Pulled

Why would Pork King lie about the picture coming from a Cache Cam?

Unless you can positively identify the hand signs displayed, you can't say they are gang signs. It's pretty sick to assume that black kids always flash gang sign. There are millions of Wanna-Be Caucasoids that flash hand signs for pictures. Those ignorant kids don't even know what the signs mean.

Edited by leatherman
I'm sorry, but bringing race into the subject of Geocaching is just about as ridiculous as bringing it into most other topics or activities.

As a cacher from a country where race issues have been stuffed down our throat for such a long time, this question makes me :o I think a question like this should NEVER be asked!!

Why should it matter anyway what colour skin you have! Do you cache better if you caucasian???

Lock or remove theads like this

Edited by geocacher_coza
I'm sorry, but bringing race into the subject of Geocaching is just about as ridiculous as bringing it into most other topics or activities.

Nuff said.

Mac

Yea buddy. I think briansnat's post is about as thoughtful as this thread's gonna get. :D Someone oughta put this one outta its misery. :o

Yea buddy. I think briansnat's post is about as thoughtful as this thread's gonna get. :o Someone oughta put this one outta its misery....

Right--because emotional, knee-jerk responses should always be allowed to overrule thoughtful, intelligent responses.

I share the perception that geocaching seems to appeal primarily (but not exclusively) to white folks. I don't see what's wrong with discussing that, and I'm confident it can be done without degenerating into racism.

Look at many other outdoor sports like skiing, backpacking, climbing, kayaking, snowshoeing and you'll find that the participants are largely caucasian.

I don't think its economic because there is a large and growing Black middle class in this country and even they aren't getting into these sports. I think the primary reason is socialization. Blacks and Hispanics, even middle class ones, tend to live in urban and semi urban areas. They haven't had a lot of exposure to the "outdoors".

Because most people are comfortable with what they know they are less likely to venture out of their "sphere". This urban and suburban sphere doesn't include hiking, skiing, kayaking, rock climbing - and geocaching.

I think though, as geocaching continues its move into urban and semi urban areas its possible that you will see more Blacks and Hispanics get involved in the sport .

As an aside, I had a conversation with a Black co-worker recently and I mentioned how I was happy to move away from the city-like environment where I grew up, to something more countrified (by NJ standards). His reaction was "No way, not for me. "I love the concrete under my feet, the bustle and the sounds and even the smells of the city". He described this with the same enthusiasm that I describe long hikes in the mountians and nights sleeping under the stars.

Even the idea of hiking was alien to him. He felt that walking was something you did when you couldn't find a cab. The concept of walking 6 miles for the sake of walking was as alien to him, as the idea of living under the El train is to me.

Very well put Briansnat. I was going to stay out of this thread but you put it in terms that I was thinking off.

I think it's also a matter of what activities you grow up with/around/watching. I.E. 'generally' the majority of Hocky/Lacrosse players will be white. 'Generally' the majority of basketball/football players will be minorities.

There doesnt' have to be hidden meaning behind certain things that are just truths. If more white people geocache that doesn't mean there is something wrong or racist with it.

If more black people play basketball that doesn't mean there is something wrong or racist with it.

The picture of the Four Children (Third Post from the top) are not Cachers they are Gang Bangers (Three are flashing Gang signs)

That picture needs to be Pulled

Those kids are not gang members any more than a photo of a kid with a plastic light saber is indicative of a Jedi Knight.

Edit: I guess that comment is indicative of what I'M doin' Thursday night!

:o

Edited by tabulator32

Maybe it has someting to do with where are the caches, even the urban ones, hidden? Hmmmm.....? My daughter hid one in the fountain garden of a local historically black college. I've seen a few comments on the page as to how some people feel about being there. Is it possible that non-caucasian cachers feel the same about going into the lily white areas of town looking like what we look like snooping around? Just a thought.

Maybe it has someting to do with where are the caches, even the urban ones, hidden? Hmmmm.....? My daughter hid one in the fountain garden of a local historically black college. I've seen a few comments on the page as to how some people feel about being there. Is it possible that non-caucasian cachers feel the same about going into the lily white areas of town looking like what we look like snooping around? Just a thought.

People hide caches in areas they know. At one time there were no caches. Someone placed them. Areas border on other areas and even if they don't you can be first in your area to place on.

The answer doesn't lie within geocaching itself. It lies in peoples interests and their freedom to choose what they want to do with their spare time.

Eric K makes a very vaild point. I think if you look at demographics of hikers and just general outdoors use your see geocaching is probable in the norm of activities. But there is nothing racial orientated but again it is what your raised with. Why do Blacks make up the largest part of the NBA they are exposed to baxketball even in the inner city but few are exposed to open fields and the real woods. It is what you are use to.

cheers

Right--because emotional, knee-jerk responses should always be allowed to overrule thoughtful, intelligent responses.

What is so intelligent in discussing what the colour of your skin is when geocaching?

I was referring to Briansnat's previous comment, which seemed worthwhile to me.

g_c, I understand that coming from South Africa, you may have a different perspective on such questions, but that is no reason why others should not discuss this topic reasonably and without a lot of emotion. I don't see anyone making comments that seem racist or offensive to me, and I don't recognize the concept of taboo topics.

There have been several thoughtful responses to this thread, and I am hoping to read more--especially from non-caucasians who do enjoy geocaching, and who may have some insight to offer to the rest of us.

It lies in peoples interests and their freedom to choose what they want to do with their spare time.

Very good point. Any person, regardless of race, can go geocaching. I have not seen anything on the geocaching.com website that indicates anything otherwise. It is open to all and the more the merrier.

That being said, I will admit I do have a curiousity about the original question.

It would just be neat to know that everyone is participating and having fun with GC.

Actually most of the photos on the front page come from overseas. So the real question is: Geocaching: A European Sport?

Perhaps it's a European culture thing to upload more photos to the site than Americans. It's all ancedotal however.

What is so intelligent in discussing what the colour of your skin is when geocaching?

The color of my skin changes when I'm geocaching. It's green with envy when I see another cacher with a really cool PDA. It's red when I spend half an hour looking and still DNF. It's bright red when I spend too long in the sun. It's blue when I'm too busy to go caching. :o

In all seriousness, here's my kids on a cache run with our neighbor, who is really getting good at this game. My son's first question when I suggest caching is can his buddy come with us.

kids.jpg

I don't recall seeing where anyone SAID it mattered, to be honest.

After all, it is possible to be curious about things that do not matter.

Absolutely agreed. I've had similar discussions about the lack of racial diversity in other social communities I belong to, and what demographic and cultural factors have brought this about.

It's a purely academic discussion, but worthwhile to have. Like most things, it's really just another study of chaos theory -- why do these patterns emerge? And is there any way to actually figure it out?

Figuring it out doesn't actually *matter* in this case, but it is interesting to ponder.

It's also interesting to ponder people's strong emotional reactions to this topic. Discussing race has somehow become taboo. It it because something we say might accidentally appear racist? Or because it's taken as an accusation of racism? I don't see either of these things happening.

I don't get it -- this should NOT be a taboo subject. But it tends to be, both here and elsewhere I've seen it come up.

Luna

Sure it's a curiosity...but why does it matter, any more than knowing the income range or religious affiliation of cachers?

It doesn't "matter" (to me, anyway) in the sense that there is some social agenda at stake. It's just interesting.

As for religion and income, I would be interested to see those demographics as well, although I haven't got the chutzpah to ask.

:lol: Great question. I don't think it's a racist question, it a question But your ethnicity does have something to do with the sports you play. No geocaching, is not a "white" sport. There are sports where different ethnicities navigate to because of several reasons. Cost, access, environment, historical culture, genetics are just a few reasons. I posed this question to my family. I am an African American female who was raised in Houston, TX and my family has a similar background to that of the Huxtables on the Cosby show.

I happen to enjoy or will try sports that have more of a caucasian draw, if you will. Snow & water skiing, tennis, kayaking, camping, geocaching, swimming, volleyball. I believe that is because I was exposed to other sports as a child and because of integration-I was usually the only black kid in the classroom or play group. So, I was exposed to other activities that I wouldn't have been because of access and culture. However, I also enjoy other sports that tend to draw other African -Americans.

Many of my friends who have a similar up-bringing, think I'm crazy for going camping or spending a Saturday afternoon geocaching. Some are like cool! There are also my friends who grew up with a more blue-collar socioeconomic lifestyle. Some will try "other" activities and some won't.

I polled my family and about 50 other people from church, all of whom are African American. All are from different socioeconomic levels of scociety, ages and most were raised in South. Here are the results:

Age group: 50+, post-secondary education

*Never heard of geocaching. Most would not be willing to give it a try.

*Majority, do not like the out-of-doors. Some men ejoy fishing. Why? All had memories of having to help pick cotton as children or youth.-historical

Age group: 30+, all education levels

*Never heard of geocaching. Some would be willing to try. Concerned about the cost of a GPS & what other benefits would it provide to own one.

*Some do not like the out-of-doors. Some do or would like to try a camping trip-all had been exposed to scouting.

Age group: 20+, all socioeconomic levels

*Never heard of geocahing. Some would be willing to try.

*Some do like the out-of-doors, some don't. All have been exposed to scouting.

Everybody mentioned the Heat! There are sometimes of the year that all Houstonians don't even think of going outside. hehehe 98 day w/ 98% humidity/92 night w/ 90% humidity. :lol:

I think that there are some sports or activites that are labeled "white". When mentioning skiing, kayaking, etc. that's the response I received. Thus, those are activities are, taboo, if you will. Stooooopid I know. Again, historical culture. Acces & cost also has something to do w/ it. Unless you camp, why would you spend $100-200 for a GPS that you feel has a limited use. (cost/benefit) For that amount, your typical family can buy: basketball goal, basketballs, footballs. No special clothing is required.

Look at the gear you need to camp, play tennis or golf, kayaking or canoeing. Plus the fees to public parks.

Watersports: It's a hair thing! :lol:

Sports like music, is something that WE label. So, all in all, no matter who's playing what sport, PLAY PLAY PLAY and have fun!

Barbie

PS-Trying to find some campers from or near Houston who would like to plan a fall camping trip to Palo Duro SP. I have a 14 yr old daughter. Let me know if your interested.

Here's a link to the latest photos if you want to see what I mean.

Now that I think about it, the majority of photos for the front page are gathered during the day. And since most Europeans are uploading photos to the site while we're asleep we may just be seeing theirs more often. Interesting.

There sure are a lot of dogs that geocache. Is geocaching a canine sport?

It's finally gone to the dogs!!! :lol::lol:

Cultural? Economic? Availability of spare time? ¿Quien sabe? I know of local Latino, Oriental and African-American cachers. But by far, the minority. (Is that the right word to use here?)

I've spent the last ten years section hiking on the AT. Pinkham Notch. NH to Swift Run Gap, Va. (Okay, I've finished less than half the trail.) Almost none of the section hikers or thruhikers are minorities. Reading the journals on trailjournals.com, almost none of the journalists are minorities.

I don't know what the answer is. Probably a combination of all three.

This is not a criticism of Geocaching but I can't remember the last time I saw a pic of a non-Caucasian on the home page. Are there any non-Caucasians out there? Come on, let's hear from you.

You know, we were talking about this the other day.

MiGO has tentative plans to start up a program with a local Asian youth group to see if we can spark a more diverse interest in caching. It does seem to be pretty caucasian-centric at the moment...

162703_500.jpg

D & L Godet! They have been caching together since Sept. 27th, 2003. Same day I started. Coincidence! Anyway, we have biracial couples, too! Gotta love America! I know I do! They make a cute couple. I helped move some of there travel bugs and they have visited some of my caches. So who really cares about race anyway?! The whole *dadgum* (gotta love the forum sensors!) world is one big melting pot anyway! I am so fricking mixed that I can't totally track down what the heck I am!! I know I got a little Native American in me (I live on a reservation) so, I got that part. A little German, Irish, Italian, Polish, and who knows what else. Whatever! I guess that I am one of the few who doesn't care what I am because the only race I really belong to is the human race!!! If everyone had that mentality, the world would be a hell of alot better place to live in!!

Edited by Piston Hed
I know of many cachers that don't check off "Caucasian" on the census surveys. Some have thousands of finds. So?

Some of us look white, but really aren't.

During the winter, yopu'd never know by any picture, but i'm Native American. During the summer, I can get darker than a coalminer.

I don't see what difference it makes, or why it can't be discussed. People are too sensitive these days.

I polled my family and about 50 other people from church, all of whom are African American. All are from different socioeconomic levels of scociety, ages and most were raised in South.

Just out of curiousity, did you happen to do the questioning in a raise-your-hand environment or was it more of a pen and paper questionaire where the responses are less likely to be influenced by their neighboring friends and family?

(Not a criticism...just a question.)

Anyway, I think its neat that you proposed a bit of research and came back with some results to share. Among other things...

You have planted a seed in the mind of fifty people who may walk away with a more comfortable definition of geocaching which may come in handy as the terminology is passed in public and people discuss the newspaper articles and broadcast stories to come. When the people who have experieinced your polling are confronted with the topic in the future, they may have something positive and beneficial to provide to those who are not as familiar with it. Even a passing familiarity in a positive light is better than no reference to a topic at all.

Part of the problem with this rapidly growing sport (South Carolina being a prime example) is the lack of knowledge people have of the sport. More questionaires of this type done across the globe and across the board (not just particular races or groups) may not only help with marketing research for GC but also help promote and advocate the sport as a whole.

It helps us learn to guage the perception of geocachers by the society at large: Information that will be very useful in the growing effort to keep GC safe, legal and "un-regulated" by those who would have geocaching go the way of the gravity boot.

"What's a gravity boot?" you ask. Hmmm. Good Question.

Ah, yes, one of the "topics" that can't seem to be discussed without the OP being labeled as racist or stupid for even asking the question....

I replied to the other (perhaps original?) thread asking this same question, because I think it IS a valid and interesting question/topic. As a librarian, (and student of human nature) I guess I have been trained to believe that there are no "stupid" questions, if they are asked honestly and not just someone looking for a "fight."

After the reading some of the thoughtless and, I'm sorry, but INANE responses other threads on this topic have garnered, I figured my opinion wasn't worth a hill of beans - even though I am a cacher of "color."

But because Reveritt said he was looking forward to reading responses from the "not your average cachers," (my characterization, not his), I'll chime in (and probably regret it :lol: ).

I don't think it's "important" what the racial makeup of this sport is, but I do think it's intertesting. And I think Snat hit the nail on the head with his thoughtful reply.

I think people "do what they know" for the most part. And I think MANY factors come into play, in varying degrees on a case-by-case basis. Economics, geography, socialization, and just plain old "doing what your friends/neighbors do probably have had something to do with the lower numbers of non-white cachers.

In my case, I tend to "break the stereotypes" all over the place - my profession, as well as my leisure activities, tend to be dominated by white people. And, in my case, there is probably a "good" reason - as I am half white, and raised by my white parent in a white environment with white friends, I have participated in the activities of those I am close to. No big mystery here.

But a white person without many Black/Hispanic/et al. friends to ask, may not know the answer to this valid question. So, to the OP - I thank you for the question, and the opportunity to answer from MY perspective. Your question, though asked (and sort of answered before) is valid - ignore those who tell you otherwise.

Heh - I inherited some of the best and worst traits of both of my parents. And while I did get my father's sense of humor and beautiful skin, I didn't get a drop of his tall lanky frame - I can't play basketball to save myself - maybe THAT'S why I cache! :lol:

Edited by Cool Librarian
:lol: Great question. I don't think it's a racist question, it a question But your ethnicity does have something to do with the sports you play. No geocaching, is not a "white" sport. There are sports where different ethnicities navigate to because of several reasons. Cost, access, environment, historical culture, genetics are just a few reasons. I posed this question to my family. I am an African American female who was raised in Houston, TX and my family has a similar background to that of the Huxtables on the Cosby show.

I happen to enjoy or will try sports that have more of a caucasian draw, if you will. Snow & water skiing, tennis, kayaking, camping, geocaching, swimming, volleyball. I believe that is because I was exposed to other sports as a child and because of integration-I was usually the only black kid in the classroom or play group. So, I was exposed to other activities that I wouldn't have been because of access and culture. However, I also enjoy other sports that tend to draw other African -Americans.

Many of my friends who have a similar up-bringing, think I'm crazy for going camping or spending a Saturday afternoon geocaching. Some are like cool! There are also my friends who grew up with a more blue-collar socioeconomic lifestyle. Some will try "other" activities and some won't.

I polled my family and about 50 other people from church, all of whom are African American. All are from different socioeconomic levels of scociety, ages and most were raised in South. Here are the results:

Age group: 50+, post-secondary education

*Never heard of geocaching. Most would not be willing to give it a try.

*Majority, do not like the out-of-doors. Some men ejoy fishing. Why? All had memories of having to help pick cotton as children or youth.-historical

Age group: 30+, all education levels

*Never heard of geocaching. Some would be willing to try. Concerned about the cost of a GPS & what other benefits would it provide to own one.

*Some do not like the out-of-doors. Some do or would like to try a camping trip-all had been exposed to scouting.

Age group: 20+, all socioeconomic levels

*Never heard of geocahing. Some would be willing to try.

*Some do like the out-of-doors, some don't. All have been exposed to scouting.

Everybody mentioned the Heat! There are sometimes of the year that all Houstonians don't even think of going outside. hehehe 98 day w/ 98% humidity/92 night w/ 90% humidity. :lol:

I think that there are some sports or activites that are labeled "white". When mentioning skiing, kayaking, etc. that's the response I received. Thus, those are activities are, taboo, if you will. Stooooopid I know. Again, historical culture. Acces & cost also has something to do w/ it. Unless you camp, why would you spend $100-200 for a GPS that you feel has a limited use. (cost/benefit) For that amount, your typical family can buy: basketball goal, basketballs, footballs. No special clothing is required.

Look at the gear you need to camp, play tennis or golf, kayaking or canoeing. Plus the fees to public parks.

Watersports: It's a hair thing! :lol:

Sports like music, is something that WE label. So, all in all, no matter who's playing what sport, PLAY PLAY PLAY and have fun!

Barbie

PS-Trying to find some campers from or near Houston who would like to plan a fall camping trip to Palo Duro SP. I have a 14 yr old daughter. Let me know if your interested.

Excellent post.

Especially since you backed your answers with some research.

Geocaching may also not be as popular among African-Americans due to lack of knowledge of the sport.

The best analogy I could make is look what Tiger Woods did for the sport of golf for African Americans.