Garmin Etrex Legend Vs. Magellan Explorist 200

MRBTDumont

I have been considering one of these two as they fit into my budget. My family is interrested in geocaching. Any comments about which I would be happier with. They both seem nice but the Garmin seems like it does more. Is one more sensitive than the other. I realize there are opinions on brands but I am more concerned with an all around better performer.

Thanks

The Explorist doesn't have data cable ability (or expandable memory) so, give the choice of the two, I'd go with the Legend, which comes with the data cable. The Legend also has the ability to upload detail maps. In my opinion (and I currently use a Magellan Meridian, and also own a Garmin Etrex Vista) it's the better of the two units by far.

Even if you don't think you'll use the data cable to upload waypoints, or maps, without it, there's no way to update firmware, should a bug be discovered, or better features added. I wouldn't even consider a GPS that doesn't have a data cable OR some type of memory card.

Any comments about which I would be happier with.

Likely you will get many, not all agreeing.

They both seem nice but the Garmin seems like it does more.

Fairly accurtate.

First, my disclaimer I own a yellow eTrex. One thing I always here is that eTrexes are more user friendly.

I realize there are opinions on brands

You have no idea.

No contest: the data cable is a must-have. Even if you're happy entering waypoints by hand now, the more you get into geocaching the more annoying it will be not to be able to upload a bunch at once. For the same price (actually the Legend is $6 less on amazon.com right now), the lack of computer connectivity is absolutely a deal-breaker.

Edited by Kite and Hawkeye