2005 "shropshire Cache Bashe" Camping Event Cache

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you all know. Jim Stabler aka 'The Time Lord' and ourselves today scouted out the camp site for the above mentioned bash. From the responses that we had about the date, those who specified one of the three weekends almost all chose the first weekend in September (3rd/4th) so we are going with that date.

The campsite we intially were thinking about has vanished off the face of the planet but we have found a really nice one in the same area. You can check it out here. The campgound is situated on a nice river behind a good pub. (We had lunch there today and the food was execellent and reasonably priced) The campgound will be able to reserve an area of the campsite for our use only. Dogs are welcome (on lead). The pub has a really nice beer garden with a very large barbecue grill. They told us that we are free to cook our own stuff on the grill so we were thinking that the barbecue and drinkies could take place there if we wanted. There are play areas for kids as well. There is a small village shop just across the road.

In addition for non-campers that wish to stay the night, the pub will have six rooms B&B available. £20 per person per night ensuite... £17 with 'hot and cold'.

There are loads of caches in the area and 6 more will be in place by the event date. 2 of these will be released on the day. We will also have a few kiddie caches as we did last year.

We will get the cache page up shortly (approvers permitting of course) and we'll post when that has been done.

Hope to see you all there...

Martin & Lynn

Edited by Team Maddie UK

Well folks,

Hot on the heels of HOB's highly successful Carry On Camping Event I am pleased to announce the 2005 Shropshire Camping Cache Bashe The cache page is now up and running so please let us know if you intend to make it so that we can get an estimate of the numbers and so on. The camp site owners have agreed to give us a very nice section of the campsite along the river bank provided we don't have a huge amount of rain and it gets washed out. If that happens they have several other areas available so it won't be a problem.

The sooner we can get numbers the better as we will need to give them an estimate and so on.

Martin & Lynn

Sorry to keep changing the goalposts but we have added a couple of items that we will need for the bookings soooo.... could we have the following info

Number of people

tent/caravan/camper

number of tents etc.

dates attending (number of nights)

number of dogs, ostriches, aardvarks etc.

The rates are as follows:

Caravan or tent, 2 adults £8.00

Trailer tent, 2 adults £9.75

Additional adult £2.00

Child (3 - 14) £1.50

Electrical hook up £2.00

One person tent £6.00

Pup tent with 2 children £4.00

Pup tent with 1 child £2.00

Dog £0.50

Please log the details on the web page

Thanks,

Martin & Lynn

We had an opportunity to experience this campsite first-hand last bank-holiday weekend, when we were taking part in a three day orienteering event in the area. It was an extremely busy weekend and the site was full, but the facilities there are more than adequate to deal with the numbers of people. Toilets etc were kept extremely clean at all times, we never had to queue for either washing / shower / washing up facilities and the lady who runs the place was very pleasant. Despite the fact that it was so busy, there was practically no noise after about 23.30 hours, I suspect that the owner would come down hard on any miscreants who defied the no noise curfew. We camped on the plateau situated between the river and the minor road, which would not be a problem in the event of heavy rain. We have no first-hand experience of the adjacent pub, but there are notices posted in strategic areas of the campsite clearly pointing out that the pub has no connections with the campsite - draw whatever conclusions you want from that ! There are also a couple of really decent pubs in the vicinity, one in the village of Wentnor itself, and one in the neighbouring village of Norbury. The campsite also has a resident goat by the name of Mabel......

All in all, an excellent choice of venue. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that Martyn and April. The Time Lord and Lynn and I did have lunch at the pub and it was quite good and reasonably priced so no problems there I think.

Martin & Lynn do we send the booking deposit directly to you 2? And how much?

Jim Stabler aka The Time Lord is calling the site today to check on deposits and so on. We'll know more then and let you know. I am officially back at work for two weeks now and Lynn and Jim will be handling things in the meantime.

Martin

Put us down for it!

1x trailer tent with electric hookup, 2 adults, 1 car.

PLUS - my mum and Dad - 2 adults, caravan, hookup and 1 car (Sandiway Searchers)

At the moment - both for Fri / Sat night, although Mum and Dad might want Thurs night too... depends!

Edited by hazel and Phill

Hi Everyone,

Well, a couple of days late due to an unexpected illness on Tuesday, but today Jim, Lynn and I visited the campsite and went over the details with the owner. The deposit is paid and she has reserved an area of the site for us all. This area appears to be easily large enough for those already booked in with space to spare. If too many folks show up to fit into the area assigned there is ample more campsite availabel for overflow although perhaps not in the immediate vicinity of the main crowd so I don't think we will be limited as to numbers. PLENTY OF ROOM FOR MORE !

There is an issue with electric hookups though. Those in caravans, if parked in the usual caravan area, will have electric hookups but there are none available in the tenting areas. She has agreed to tentatively hold 6 caravan spots closest to our assigned area for us and I think will permit tents in there if necessary. So it will depend on how reliant you are on the old wiggly amps what you wish to do. (We had wondered about renting a small gennie).

Anyway, a late answer to your question Dave, no need for deposits from anyone, we have handled that and will simply let her deduct it from our bills as we will be staying the four nights.

If the weather is anything like it was today, it should be a smashing do :D:D:D

Current Bookings are as follows...

46dd31b3-300e-41ff-a213-19d869757ac0.jpg

Please advise on the webpage

if you wish to make any changes.

Looking Forward to seeing everyone again....

Martin, Lynn and Jim

Edited by Team Maddie UK

Just an update. A few more folks have signed up and the list is now shown below.

95cf62bd-fb91-4496-b1b4-91c77ebea18f.jpg

As per usual, please check you're on the list if you are planning on attending and make sure all your details are ok.

Just to clarify, we have booked an area of the campsite so no individual pitches are assigned etc. If the area fills up (and it is looking like it might well do so especially in view of the family who are bringing the Millenium dome with them :laughing: there should be ample 'overflow' area adjacent to our spot. However, the best pitches etc. will have to be on a first come/first serve basis. So far there are three caravans which will have electric hook-ups. No electric hookups are availabubble for the tent sites unfortunately.

All the best,

Martin, Lynn and Jim

Hi Lynne

Out Trailer Tent is a bit more sophisticated than a trailer tent,.... it doesn't require pegging out, so if the caravans are on a pitch with hardstanding, we'd be ok to go there. We really could do with electric! We generally go on the same pitches as the caravans!

Lynn and I were having a conversation a moment ago about BBQ grills and suddenly remembered something which came up pertaining to the campsite. They have no problem with BBQ grills as long as they are on legs and not on the ground. So please be forewarned. Ours has short stubby legs but is still capable of scorching the grass. To avoid this, I found that a suitable procedure was to sprinkle the grass, on which the grill will sit, with water and then cover with a sheet of aluminium foil. We do this every time now and the grass appears to survive nicely. Just a wee tip :D:);)

Regards,

Martin & Lynn

Hi Lynn, Martin and Jim,

'hope its not too late to throw another hat into the ring. My brother and I are hoping to get across. So.. this will be two blokes, one tent, one car, and one dog.

I'm looking forward to seeing some old friends, including a number who attended the Tent Event (Devon) last month.

Cheers,

Aisledog (David)

Well Folks,

Here's the update as promised. Lynn and I visited the campsite this afternoon and the owner is well confidant that she can accomodate the somewhat larger numbers than we had anticipated. However, she has introduced a wee kink that she didn't mention last time we were there. Namely, she requires an additional £10 deposit (above the deposit we have aleady covered for the reserved area) from anyone requiring an electric hook-up. All of the sites with electric are contained within the caravan area of the site. She had agreed to reserving six such sites and this is still the case. However, previously she had stated that tents/trailer tents could use these areas and now she seems to be reneging on that aspect.

So, the long and short of it is we have six sites with electricity four of which will be taken up by the caravans (I assume) and whether she will permit trailer tents/tents to use the remaining two is questionable.

Sorry if this inconveniences anyone. I know there were more requests for wiggly amps than we have sites but I suspect it will turn out to be a question of last minute availability.

One more point is that she requires the dimensions of the attending caravans so she can make sure she puts them in big enough spots and so on. We have e-mailed the caravaners individually to gather this info.

Anyway, what's the collective term for caravans? A caravan???

Best Regards,

Martin & Lynn

Edited by Team Maddie UK

Would it make a difference if we contacted her ourselves - ours is not a trailer tent, it's a Folding Camper (caravan base, tent (canvas) top. We really do need electric!

We don't need to go on grass, we don't have to peg ours out, we can go on hardstanding.

PS the other person in the trailer tent - The Northern Invaders is Phill's sister and Bro in law... we don't mind being shoved right up together!!

Edited by hazel and Phill
A49 all the way!!! (at least we can't get lost - one road all the way there!!)

I don't think so guys... There is the not so small matter of the Long Mynnd in between the A49 and the campsite. Driving up over from Church Stretton is 'exciting' to say the least. I, for one, would not entertain the idea of doing this drive with a caravan/trailer. It's a single track road with passing places, somewhat similar to the Hard Knott pass in the Lake District. We have witnessed a few 'jams' and their resulting long tailbacks.

Just a wee word of warning if that was your intent :rolleyes::lol::o:D

Cheers,

Martin

:rolleyes: Please can I echo Martin and Lynne and stress that the drive over the Long Mynd is not one that should be undertaken in a camper or towing a caravan or even towing a trailer! The hill up is bad enough being 1 in 4 single track and with small passing places. However the road down the Western side to the campsite is worse with some bends that I do not think you could get a caravan round.

When they take gliders up the hill to the airfield they use a different road, a big 4WD and close the road off while they are towing the trailer up.