Harriman Help Needed

Tallchief

My scout camp in Stony Point needs caching help. We back up to Harriman on Mott Farm Road and want caches to hike to. Due to the new permit rule, all of the caches within day camp hiking distance have been removed. I have contacted jonboy and brian b to take over their sites. I am applying for permits for my limit of 5 caches in our area. I hope to have caches on The Timp, West Mountain, Cat's Elbow, The Pines, and what we call Kamikaze Ledge. We need help placing caches and applying permits if I get them. All of these cache sites are on existing trails although some of them are unmarked on the map and may not be approved by the Park officials. We have an extensive knowledge of these trails and are called Scout trails by some.

We have created 2 new caches on our property line that should become available on geocaching.com

I also have over a dozen caches in camp that need co-ordinates checked (these are great caches to take younger family members to). These caches would not be on geocaching.com.

I would also like GPS track/ topo maps of whatever you can give me.

We are also the recipients of a new computer and projector thanks to a grant from Lockheed Martin and Girl Scouts USA. Our grant is titled "GPS and Mapping" and we hope to get the scouts interested in the next step after geocaching. Could someone do a presentation using our new tools and educate a group of us interested in connecting the GPS to the computer?

I have reserved camp on June 4 -5th to work on all of this. Overnight camping is available. You would also learn how to have Harriman access and parking privileges at our Ranger's house and our Beaver Meadow area.

I could try to make this an event, but am intimdated by Avroair's success and creativity at events.

Feed back would be appreciated.

You shouldn't be intimidated. I recently went to a SEPAG event where they were introducing families to geocaching by giving them an overview and then taking them into the woods to find a couple of caches. It was a huge success, they had about 30 attendees despite the rain.

Keep it simple, you don't need a crazy theme, post the date and people will go. (I will be in Boston June 4-5th :lol: )

Edited by Avroair